Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra (SPOILERS)

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Hmm, I could see it being doable if LoK's main plot was less serious and heavy but I am having a hard time envisioning a "friendly competition" Love Triangle working well with the show's current main plot level of seriousness.

It could work in the existing story if Mako and Asami weren't already an item.
I mean, Mako and Bolin for Korra is a very understated form of the comedy version of that LT dynamic.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Hmm, I could see it being doable if LoK's main plot was less serious and heavy but I am having a hard time envisioning a "friendly competition" Love Triangle working well with the show's current main plot level of seriousness.
they did a pretty good job in bleach with rukia/ichigo/orihime, wherein orihime feels upset because ichigo cares for rukia but she also greatly admires rukia so she is upset for being jealous. they have a great friendship nonetheless and orihime still likes ichigo. not sure where rukia/ichigo's relationship stands, tho.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
they did a pretty good job in bleach with rukia/ichigo/orihime, wherein orihime feels upset because ichigo cares for rukia but she also greatly admires rukia so she is upset for being jealous. they have a great friendship nonetheless and orihime still likes ichigo. not sure where rukia/ichigo's relationship stands, tho.

Though it has the additional problem of mind control, FFIV is another good example of a serious version of this LT type. Cecil and Kain were best buds, and Kain felt terrible about his jealousy towards Cecil.

But yeah, this sort of LT often involves a 'I'll go off and leave you be and work through my hurt/ Hey, I'm back, just in the nick of time to help you save the day!' gimmick.

Z

Zealkin

omfggggggggggggggg that episode was a doozyyy!!!!!!!

holy shit it just keeps getting better.

If you haven't watched the episode then you need to, it was amazing.

Mako totally deserves asami's ire, he's been a punk with their relationship, and I'm glad that she told it to him straight that the way he was acting was unacceptable.
THE TEAM DYNAMICS WERE BEAUTIFUL THOUGH.
Pema's babies!!!!! and her new one!!!! Aughhhhh so many emotionsssss
And Lin! Holy shit she lost her bending, to protect the last airbenders, she is officially my favorite character. So selfless, and brave just like Toph ; ;

Which brings me to the point, I really don't think that what Amon does is permanent! ONE MORE WEEK until we figure out what the real trick is holy god.

And GENERAL IROH, GENERAL FUCKING IROH!!! He's obviously Zuko's son!! And he had Dante Basco vaing him and everything! This season finale is going to kill me i swear!!!!

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
The episode was great up till the last 5 minutes
NOOOOOOOOOO HOW DARE THEY DO THIS TO LIN!? SHE'S THE MOST BADASS AWESOME CHARACTER OF THE SHOW AND WAS KICKING SOME SERIOUS ASS THE WHOLE EPISODE. FUCK YOU AMON, REAL EASY TO TAKE HER POWERS AWAY WHEN SHE CAN'T DO ANTYHING, WHY DON'T YOU BE A MAN AND FIGHT HER ONE ON ONE, TOO SCARED? I HOPE TOPH IS ALIVE AND BEATS THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF YOU. As for everything else Asami earned herself some serious points in the awesome department, her fighting the Equalists was awesome and laying it down with Mako. Oh Mako you keep finding ways for me to hate you more, real nice bro lying and not fessing up when your girlfriend is straight telling you she knows, you went out like a champ. The interactions with most of the characters in the island were hilarious especially Meelo and Lin, boy said the best sentence in the whole series. The new baby is adorable, would be funny if he was a water bender. I figured Hiroshi would appeared again and have something to do with the attack on Republic City. Korra, Bolin and Nagga were great, slapping that Equalist was awesome. It's nice seeing Zuko's VA back, it's Iroh Zuko's son?

Zealkin you should probably spoiler tag your post for anyone that's hasn't seen the episode yet doesn't get spoiled if they don't want to.

Last edited:
Z

Zealkin

The episode was great up till the last 5 minutes
NOOOOOOOOOO HOW DARE THEY DO THIS TO LIN!? SHE'S THE MOST BADASS AWESOME CHARACTER OF THE SHOW AND WAS KICKING SOME SERIOUS ASS THE WHOLE EPISODE. FUCK YOU AMON, REAL EASY TO TAKE HER POWERS WHEN SHE CAN'T DO ANTYHING, WHY DON'T YOU BE A MAN AND FIGHT HER ONE ON ONE, TOO SCARED? I HOPE TOPH IS ALIVE AND BEATS THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF YOU. As for everything else Asami earn herself some serious points in the awesome department, her fighting the Equalists was awesome. Oh Mako you keep finding ways for me to hate you more, real nice bro lying and not fessing up when your girlfriend is straight telling you she knows, you went out like a champ. The interactions with most of the characters in the island were hilarious especially Meelo and Lin, boy said the best sentence anyone in the whole series. I figured Hiroshi would appeared again and have something to do with the attack on Republic City. Korra, Bolin and Nagga were, slapping that Equalist was awesome. It's nice seeing Zuko's VA back, it's the guy Zuko's son?

I KNOW WHY. WHY. WHYYYYYYY. AMON TRICK MUST BE FAKE IT HAS TO BE FOR MY SANITYYYYYYY.
Asami was kicking some serious ass, I need to watch the episode again just for that. And I'm pretty sure that's Zukos son, his daughter is firelord but his son is a general, needless to say Zuko was probably the best father <3

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I don't care that he's voiced by Steve Blum who's one of my favorite VA's I WILL END HIM FOR MESSING WITH MY FAVORITE CHARACTER.

Z

Zealkin

To Amon:
tumblr_ltsk1edhBC1qgjcomo1_500.jpg

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Also To Amon:

tumblr_m5l4go19Od1rwgt4do1_400.gif

I'm too badass for your energy bending. FUCK YOU AND KISS MY ASS.

Att. Lin Beifong

Z

Zealkin

Also an addendum, i think general iroh might be Zuko's grandson if not his son, he seems a little young, but who knows

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
LINNNNNN NOOOOO

asami has earned major points for 1. confronting mako about his obvious affection for korra and 2. not taking it out on korra. she doesn't seem mad at korra at all but she is mad at mako for not telling her the truth. major respect. also she kicked sincere ass what a good girl.

remember when bolin had memorable moments in the show yeah me neither. (;_; )

Z

Zealkin

LINNNNNN NOOOOO

asami has earned major points for 1. confronting mako about his obvious affection for korra and 2. not taking it out on korra. she doesn't seem mad at korra at all but she is mad at mako for not telling her the truth. major respect. also she kicked sincere ass what a good girl.

ikr, i'm glad her relationship with Korra isn't going to suffer any more because of Mako, because he's at the heart of the problem here(no pun intended)

And lol Korra driving, lol Korra parking. I need to draw this soon XD
REBLOG ALL OF THE LIN THINGS!!!!

Ugh, do I get ready for work and do my hair and makeup or do I try to find this episode now and watch it before work????

It's a nine hours shift, ugh, can I wait that long?

watch it naooooooo, it's so worth it.

I care about these characters. I CARE.

It's interesting how initially I was impressed by Korra and how much I enjoyed her Korra-ness, but in these recent episodes all that's mattered to me is Lin Beifong. She is truly the definition of badass. Her sacrifice at the end also made me feel like I was watching a war movie...which is extremely fitting and ridiculously powerful on an emotional level.
I had to consciously allow that extra level of "OH NOES" at her bending being taken away though, since I'm so stuck at the thought that Amon is using blood bending to cause some infinite loop of "misdirected chi" and that all it will take to cure his victims is to for example bring Kataara there (during a full moon) to undo his damage.
If it turns out that Amon is not a blood bender, or regardless if the effect truly is permanent...then Lin's sacrifice will hit harder on me than it did now.

Tenzin's family remains as sweet as ever. Every moment in this episode when you saw him watching over and/or worrying about his family feels so GENUINE. This is not just a cartoon show. This is genius escapism art. The show remains excellent with its dark tone and relentless sense of despair...as well as its comedy. Fart-bending slow-motion Meelo? HELL YES. These are truly the grandchildren of Aang!

In one video, here is my reaction to all the elements in this episode and the series as a whole...

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
And me missing it the first time round again, though this time it's cuz I just slept til 4.

Z

Zealkin

I care about these characters. I CARE.

It's interesting how initially I was impressed by Korra and how much I enjoyed her Korra-ness, but in these recent episodes all that's mattered to me is Lin Beifong. She is truly the definition of badass. Her sacrifice at the end also made me feel like I was watching a war movie...which is extremely fitting and ridiculously powerful on an emotional level.
I had to consciously allow that extra level of "OH NOES" at her bending being taken away though, since I'm so stuck at the thought that Amon is using blood bending to cause some infinite loop of "misdirected chi" and that all it will take to cure his victims is to for example bring Kataara there (during a full moon) to undo his damage.
If it turns out that Amon is not a blood bender, or regardless if the effect truly is permanent...then Lin's sacrifice will hit harder on me than it did now.

Tenzin's family remains as sweet as ever. Every moment in this episode when you saw him watching over and/or worrying about his family feels so GENUINE. This is not just a cartoon show. This is genius escapism art. The show remains excellent with its dark tone and relentless sense of despair...as well as its comedy. Fart-bending slow-motion Meelo? HELL YES. These are truly the grandchildren of Aang!

In one video, here is my reaction to all the elements in this episode and the series as a whole...
I agree Shademp, I think anyone who was watching felt that, the emotions are so well delivered. Asami's bitterness is pretty strong too, and I always feel extremely bad for her, especially since she's done nothing to warrant this shit in her life.

This episode was beyond awesome, yet another thing that continues to bother me is Bolin's role, he said three lines the entire episode :/

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Badass episode. Yet it still definitely felt like a set-up episode for the finale, which makes me wonder how much "badassness" those episodes will have.

The romance in the episode did not bother me one bit. It felt very "real" if you know what I mean. They fought and had real conversations that a lot of teens would, so it felt authentic. I laughed when Pema made that face as she left the room. Mako is definitely acting jerky in terms of romance, but it is well written jerkiness (and it is somewhat understandable/sympathetic, which is not me saying I approve of it, or think it is completely justified), and that makes me like his written character. Also glad Asami is not directing any of her hurt/frustration at Korra. Guess the love triangle is not going to be completely resolved until the season finale though.

Tenzin was awesome, and thank god for beards, his saved his life (it reacted to the electricity in the air).

Meelo was awesome, and likely voiced the fandom's feelings at the end of the episode. Fartbending as a weapon and this face:
tumblr_m5px2wzoJF1qj52l2o4_250.gif

cemented his pure awesomeness.

Lin Bei Fong definitely had her swan song this episode. When she went to finish off the Air Ships, I literally said outloud "Like a Booossssss..." As an artistic comment, I find it very clever how Bryke uses Amon debending people as a parallel to execution. The sequence of Lin losing her bending reminded of many war films when a character gets captured and is shot in the back of the skull while remaining defiant.

The Lieutenant (or Moustache Guy) must have like an infinite life cheat code, he keeps on getting smacked down and then immediately getting back up. Cool to see Hiroshi Sato again, I expect that he and Asami will have a some sort of confrontation in the season finale.

Team Avatar all had awesome moments fighting the Mech-Tanks. Korra bursting the engines with Waterbending, and (I think) Mako redirecting the electricity into lightning were my personal highlights.

Finally got to see Dante Basco's character. General Iroh looks pretty awesome, wonder if he is Zuko's son (IMO he looks to young to be the same generation as Tenzin and Lin), grandson, or dare I suggest it...nephew/great-nephew? Interesting that he is a General in the The United Forces of the United Republic of Nations. Does that mean he gave up his Fire Nation citizenship (this is speculation based on many citizenship policies regarding military service) or is the United forces sorta like analogous to the Peace Keeping Forces of the United Nations and every nation in the Avatar-world contribute military force to it?

Once again, a great episode.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I have a new Tumbler Tag for you all to use from my friend Qualyn. And that tag is "Sexy Speed Racer Asami."

I'll be writing the filk for this shortly.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Interesting little theory about Iroh II's parentage going around. Some people have theorized that he is Bumi's son (Aang and Katara's non-bender son) and that Bumi may have married Zuko's daughter. This is based on their similar attire.
tumblr_m5qjeoObUy1ro2tvu.jpg

Look at that collar. It&#8217;s exactly the same as the one Bumi&#8217;s wearing in the LoK family tree:
tumblr_m5qjg6dvYh1ro2tvu.jpg

Of course it could also just simply mean that Bumi is involved/part of the United Forces as well.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Well that would certainly be interesting if it is true and will probably make the Zutara fans go crazy.

Alessa Gillespie said:

It's just bullshit, at least Sokka while not as badass as he was in series 2 and 3 had some memorable moments but Bolin while still a great character has pretty much been put in the background. Srsly Bryan and Mike the series needs more Bolin and a lot less Mako.

Theozilla said:
Mako is definitely acting jerky in terms of romance, but it is well written jerkiness (and it is somewhat understandable/sympathetic, which is not me saying I approve of it, or think it is completely justified), and that makes me like his written character.

I'm not seeing this at all. It is neither understandable nor sympathetic, he had Asami in his face telling him that she knew and he still denied and did not in any way apologize and he almost blamed Bolin if Asami hadn't called him out on it. He is by far and easily the worst character of the series.

Does anyone else feel like Bryan and Mike took tips from Joss Whedon with their decision to
de-bend Lin? Although I will prefer to believe that she's too much of a badass for that to work on her

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I'm not seeing this at all. It is neither understandable nor sympathetic, he had Asami in his face telling him that she knew and he still denied and did not in any way apologize and he almost blamed Bolin if Asami hadn't called him out on it. He is by far and easily the worst character of the series.

I said before I find Mako to be a character that is very human and makes many human mistakes, which I personally find very interesting in a character. Mako's character qualities fulfill many trope aspects of The Ditherer*: he does his best to avoid conflict and will ignore problems, suppress his own feelings, or follow a "you didn't ask" policy if it means avoiding awkward conversations. This likely a result of him having to live on the streets and raising Bolin. Mako's reason not immediately telling Asami about the kiss after episode 5, was because he was taking a "if I ignore it and don't mention it, the problem will eventually go away" approach, which I think many people in real would often do.; and then later on was him wanting to spare Asami's feelings from further hurt due to her father's villainous revelation.

And while Mako (arguably unhealthily) does suppress his feelings often, and perhaps succeeds on a intellectual/conscious level, he does not do well of hiding his feelings on a subconscious level and they often show through his actions.

Mako commenting on Bolin telling Asami about the kiss I did not see it as him inditing Bolin, more just him venting his frustrations over having to finally confront the issue of the kiss with Asami. And Mako did have a *somewhat* valid point of it not being a very appropriate time to go over their relationship problems.

I find Mako to be interesting because he is a person who has made some poor choices but for understandable/compassionate reasons.

* http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDitherer

Top Bottom