Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra (SPOILERS)

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Simply one of the most fantastic episodes so far. But then again they're all quite good eh?

From the very start to the credits, I was HOOKED.

My only problem with Dante Basco's voicing General Iroh? Sounds just like Zuko. IMHO, I believe he's talented enough to have made it at least a bit different, unless they purposely had him keep it exactly Zuko-like.

Btw, what's with the different colored eyes of Tenzin's kids?

Meelo is pure grey, Ikki is like a mixture of brown and grey, Jinora is brown,
if1s1.png
and now the baby, Rohan seems to have green eyes
ivkPS.png

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Just wanted to post this review of the episode from the A.V. Club: http://www.avclub.com/articles/turning-the-tides,80908/
I think the reviewer, Emily Guendelsberger, does a really great job at analyzing the episodes (even when I personally don't agree 100% with what everything she says).
I was happy to see at least a little bit of Bolin in “Turning The Tides;” he hasn’t had much to do these past few weeks. But it seems significant that two of his funniest moments—his belated yell of "CAR! Oh, we're good," and panicked "MOUSTACHE GUY!"—were literal moments, tiny flashes of humor that were barely even animated. They were pretty much shouted over action in a way that brought to mind Patton Oswalt’s shtick about doing punch-up for mostly complete animated movies, which he says necessarily means coming up with funny lines that can be yelled from off-screen. I doubt the writers actually did that or anything, but it’s a bummer that Bolin, who’s such a delightful, promising character, has been squeezed out by the need to move the plot along to the extent that he’s down to serving the same function as these tangential punch-ups.

Avatar: The Last Airbender had the luxury of a loose master plot spread out over 61 episodes, giving the characters a lot of leeway to meander around doing things not specifically related to the plot. Team Avatar’s nomadic lifestyle also was helpful in limiting the recurring characters the audience had to get to know; in the first season, at least, we were hanging out primarily with Aang, Katara, Sokka, Zuko, and Iroh. (Arguments could be made for Zhao and Yue.) Most everybody else walks onstage, then off again.
Korra’s static setting means pretty much everyone is a recurring character: For starters, there’s Korra, Mako, Bolin, Asami, Tenzin, Lin, Amon, and Tarlokk. (Arguments could be made for the four members of Tenzin’s family and Hiroshi Sato.) The first season of A:TLA, then, aimed to establish five characters in 20 episodes, and they didn’t really transcend their jerky-loving, hissy-throwing, hope-speechifying origins, parodied so well in The Ember Island Players, until mid-second season. Korra went to establish an ambitious eight characters in 12 episodes, plus fitting in a much more compact plot, plus a brand-new sport, plus makeouts. No wonder Bolin’s just shouting stuff from the backseat.

It’s a really ballsy thing for the writers to attempt, and so far I’ve found the pace exhilarating rather than off-putting — I enjoy shows that know where they’re going and pull me along at Maglev speeds. It’s a different show from the original in tone and production circumstance, and expecting the exact same things out of it is setting yourself up for disappointment.

However, as much as I like the idea of how the Asami-Mako-Korra thing is being handled, I haven’t spent enough time with the characters to care too much. Objectively, it’s great that the conflict has been manifesting in tension between Mako and Asami instead of in competition between Asami and Korra, who seem determined not to make it a thing; I’d have loved to see Korra and Asami hang out outside the context of Mako at least once to drive that home, though. Objectively, it’s great that they set up Asami’s pissiness by first showing her being sad and hurt when her boyfriend publicly acts like he’s in love with someone else; it would have been more effective if we knew more about her, Mako and their relationship aside from “they’re kind of that gross couple from high school that used to make out in the stairwell and insisted on sitting on each others’ laps all the time.”

Another thing I was not so into about the back end of the season is the consistency. Not consistent character behavior, which I think is mostly good, both in characters acting like themselves and characters acting like normal human beings. But the Equalist foot soldiers are showing a few signs of Turok-Han syndrome—they started out as formidable opponents, but as the series goes along they seem to get less and less good at their jobs.

This isn’t unjustified: Team Avatar 2.0 is shown to be pretty smart, and each fight scene demonstrates that they’ve put a lot of thought into creative ways to deal with chi-blockers and the mechatanks since the last fight. In this episode, Team Avatar 2.0 does pretty well against the big mechs by tripping them, literally flooding their engines, and blasting them into the sky. Mako even figures out how to redirect the electricity from their giant tasers, bless his soul. So it felt a little unearned, though pretty fun to watch, when the airbender kids just swooped in and knocked a bunch of unmoving, not-dodging chi-blockers over like bowling pins.

But boy, now that I’ve spent most of this talking about my aggregated problems with the show (it doesn’t really have much to do with this particular episode—it’s just that the penultimate week seems like a good time for it), Korra does do some things really, really well. Badassery, in particular. Beifong gets a ton of great moments in this episode, from that little High Noon waiting scene on Air Temple Island to, of, course, the thing you all probably want to get on with talking about, already.

The brief scene where Amon takes Beifong’s bending is really well done in a number of ways. Jeremy Zuckerman, who also did the score for the original series, is very smart about knowing when to whisper when a lot of composers would shout.

For example, try watching that scene with the sound off as if someone had sent you it to score; imagine what music you’d have come up with to go with this scene. The visuals most obviously suggest something low, menacing, rumbling. It’s dark. It’s raining. Something bad is going to happen to one of our heroes. When the “camera” looks at Amon it’s from below, as if the viewer has also been captured by scary people in masks; it’s also sometimes skewed at a disorienting, tilted “angle.” And there’s that dramatic zoom shot with Beifong looking straight up into the rain as she gets dis-bended—perfect for a big, loud moment. But instead, the score seems to take its inspiration from that one second where Beifong closes her eyes in resignation, and gives the whole scene that feeling of peaceful resignation and sacrifice, especially when the score goes silent at the big moment. The approach is so much more tonally effective than taking the obvious route; it’s really skillful and really lovely.

Questions that may or may not be relevant in the final two episodes next week (feel free to contribute your own):

Might there be a reason aside from Korra just being a doofus that there’s a lot of static between her and the Spirit World?

Can energybending be used to do things other than taking bending away?
What’s the significance of the slightly different methods Aang and Amon are shown using to remove bending?

Where and from whom did Amon learn to do it?

What does Amon have going on under the mask?

How could Yakone bloodbend in the daytime with his hands tied?

Why did firebenders kill, like, everyone’s parents?

How did Beifong get that damn scar?

Stray observations:

The baby, who pops out after approximately five minutes of labor, is named Rohan, Sanskrit for “healing” and Nerdskrit for “HERE COMES THE CAVALRY!”
Heh, speaking of the cavalry coming, the timing on the reveal of General

Iroh’s voice being Dante Basco cracked me up. I could practically hear Barney Stinson yelling “WAIT FOR IT—” in the pause between his face being shown and the voice of Zuko lisping out of his mouth.

We finally get to see “Moustache Guy” (I like that name way better than the Lieutenant) without his goggles for the first time, and he has mad crazy eyes. Given how much effort somebody back at Equalist HQ clearly put into the “seriously, we’re exterminators!” ruse—uniforms, a truck, a zapper dolled up as a spider-rat sprayer—it’s really funny how quickly he’s, like, “Oh whatever,” and just electrocutes the Fire Nation councilwoman in full view of the street. Love that guy’s voice, too.

"It is a tragic day, indeed!" It seemed so obvious to me last episode that Pat was female, and this episode I'm back to being positive Pat is male. I feel like the writers might be messing with us.

We see Hiroshi again, chillin’ with Amon in one of the Equalist airships. The brief conversation they have about Asami is clearly not the first time they’ve discussed it, which I found a very funny idea. How awkward must it be to make small talk, much less chat about very intimate, sad stuff, with a guy who probably doesn't even take his mask off in the shower?

Tasty visual of the week: In the scene where the White Lotus guards hold off the Equalists while Team Avatar 2.0 escapes, the show stays back with the doomed guards for much more time than redshirts usually get, ending with that very cool visual of a chi-blocker running right into the camera.

Tasty visual of the week runner-up: The pan up from the gang escaping underwater to above the surface, where Republic City is shown to be partially on fire, and then cut up a level higher to where the dirigibles are chasing the airbenders.

I chatted with Janet Varney, the voice of Korra, yesterday; it was fun! Look for the interview later this week.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I was wondering something, the episode titles for LOK are very obvious and often give away the major plot point in the episode, even if it isn’t just like we think it will. Just like today, the accepted head canon was that “Turning the Tides” meant the Equalists attacks. BUT turns out that it is also has the second meaning of referring to the Krew hoping to turn the tide of the war with General Iroh

So, episode 11 is called “Skeletons in the Closet”. What does that mean? Is it referring to learning about Amon’s past (not what he claims), that Amon’s “taking away people’s bending” is or is not permanent, or perhaps something to do with Aang's and Zuko's families because Iroh is coming?

Z

Zealkin

We'll have to wait and see, but maybe it has something to do with Zuko and the firenation, considering General Iroh just came into the picture

This post really made me like/understand Mako more:
http://elventhespian.tumblr.com/post/25263345139/dont-bash-mako

I mean it's what I generally thought, but it's nice to have a written out response to all the bashing. What's happening to Mako reminded me of how I reacted to Ron in the Harry Potter books. In certain books he made me extremely angry, but I couldn't be mad at him for long, and in the end I still love him to death.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
We'll have to wait and see, but maybe it has something to do with Zuko and the firenation, considering General Iroh just came into the picture
Hmm, yeah, I would not be too surprised if Zuko and/or Iroh share some history that is unbecoming. You know, it is funny, one of the really awesome things IMO about The Legend of Korra is that while the general plots of episodes are usually very easy to predict the little things that fill them up are often neigh impossible to predict.

This post really made me like/understand Mako more:
http://elventhespian.tumblr.com/post/25263345139/dont-bash-mako

I mean it's what I generally thought, but it's nice to have a written out response to all the bashing. What's happening to Mako reminded me of how I reacted to Ron in the Harry Potter books. In certain books he made me extremely angry, but I couldn't be mad at him for long, and in the end I still love him to death.

Thanks for the link, really well written. The Ron comparison did not occur to me until I read the post either.
Something I’ve observed in my many fandoms, however, is what I consider to be an annoying trend to magnify the faults of characters that really aren’t as bad as people make them out to be.
This I really really agree with, this behavior is endemic to ALL fandoms, and really does frustrate the heck out of me, especially when it leads to character bashing.

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Okay, finally watched episode ten.

So much screaming, so much...

This is why Lin is the best character in the show you guys. The way she just goes after the Equalists and takes down one of the ships. She is flawless. Everything she does is flawless.

And the scene where she loses her bending, it was so sad it was almost as if it were an actual death scene. In a way, it was. Being a metal bender was her life. I keep re-watching that part over and over and over again because it is so well done.

HOWEVER am I the only one who thinks Iroh 2.0 having Zuko's exact voice was a bad choice? The dude seems far too old to sound like that.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Btw, what's with the different colored eyes of Tenzin's kids?

Meelo is pure grey, Ikki is like a mixture of brown and grey, Jinora is brown,
if1s1.png
and now the baby, Rohan seems to have green eyes
ivkPS.png

Welcome to Phenotypes!
But yeah, Eye color within family can be pretty drastically different between families, and green and brown eyes are the same genes with different switches flipped, if I remember correctly.

Also, Meelo is kicking ass and making funny noises. I wholeheartedly approve, and await his spinoff series.

The next title 'Skeletons in the closet' refers to Amon busting out Corpsebending and sending skeletons to fight the Korra Crew.
TTLY gonna happen. TTLY.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Saw this on tumblr:

tumblr_m5rkczntYd1r9dcjio1_500.png

tumblr_m5r9o09fqc1qchwhlo1_500.png

tumblr_m5qxvifbnj1qi6iivo1_500.jpg

I knew someday I could use this in context:

tumblr_m5qljciNWq1qjdus2.gif

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
More stuff because I'm just in that kind of mood:

If Toph is dead this is what happening in the Spirit World right now:

tumblr_m5qqmjHWgi1rx7ob2o1_500.png

Like mother like daughter:

tumblr_m5qllvFKOJ1qe3kfyo1_250.gif

tumblr_m5qllvFKOJ1qe3kfyo2_250.gif

What Toph has to say to Amon:

tumblr_m5qdqbNKS81qe30dio5_250.jpg

tumblr_m5qdqbNKS81qe30dio1_r1_250.jpg

tumblr_m5qdqbNKS81qe30dio4_250.jpg

tumblr_m5qdqbNKS81qe30dio6_250.jpg

To Lin, from Toph:

tumblr_m5qdqbNKS81qe30dio3_250.jpg

What was happening exactly when Lin lost her powers:

tumblr_m5q512Zkjt1rx68hvo1_500.gif

tumblr_m5q512Zkjt1rx68hvo2_500.gif

Toph's later reaction to Lin losing her powers:

tumblr_m5pyeqtx1e1rnryvao1_250.gif

tumblr_m5pyeqtx1e1rnryvao2_250.gif

tumblr_m5pyeqtx1e1rnryvao3_500.gif

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I must say as hyper-reactionary and melodramatic the A:TLA/LoK fandom can be on tumblr, one has to give them their dues for being able to create gifs, memes, and fanart so quickly.

Z

Zealkin

Okay, finally watched episode ten.

So much screaming, so much...

This is why Lin is the best character in the show you guys. The way she just goes after the Equalists and takes down one of the ships. She is flawless. Everything she does is flawless.

And the scene where she loses her bending, it was so sad it was almost as if it were an actual death scene. In a way, it was. Being a metal bender was her life. I keep re-watching that part over and over and over again because it is so well done.

HOWEVER am I the only one who thinks Iroh 2.0 having Zuko's exact voice was a bad choice? The dude seems far too old to sound like that.

Yeah Iroh's voice I was a lil iffy on, only because it sounds exactly the same and Iroh 2.0 looks to be around 30-40. People are already shipping him and Asami too...

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah Iroh's voice I was a lil iffy on, only because it sounds exactly the same and Iroh 2.0 looks to be around 30-40. People are already shipping him and Asami too...
Kinda ironic when you think about it, Dante Basco himself is 36, guy just has a young sounding voice.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Awesomely funny not only by itself, but is even more awesome when you get the other series/character reference.:D
tumblr_m5r3gayHaK1ruoocpo1_500.jpg

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
More Lin/Toph:

tumblr_m5p356ug3a1r0tyr5o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m5op4keOe71qb0ng1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m5n3gpqUjF1qhd8sao1_500.gif

tumblr_m5n3gpqUjF1qhd8sao2_r5_500.gif

tumblr_m5qdr1q8Xz1qk4hv4o1_500.png

tumblr_m5qt28gJVT1ryg6l3o1_500.jpg

This is me while watching Amon take Lin's bending away:

tumblr_m1k46kVfbu1r6bu0k.gif

Me after watching the whole scene:

tumblr_m5pwbiK5nI1qenwu4.gif

Me when hearing Amon's name:

tumblr_m5pvxfvTrQ1ro39ur.gif

Best sentence in the whole series, Meelo speaks for all of us:

tumblr_m5q5n8Klvg1rq7epe.gif

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I'm not even sure how I'm going to be able to handle seeing Lin again on-screen. :'(

Z

Zealkin

On a side note, I like how 3 of us have atla/Korra Icons :3

But I know Lin will be kickass even without bending, she is just too awesome >:3

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zealkin

aww yeaaa because she's obviously sokka's daughter because obviously she's resourceful like that!

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
...And here I'd almost forgotten of the weird Toph/Sokka shit I ran into on tumblr while looking for some Toph gifs.

Lin is going to be full Batman, who needs powers when you're that badass?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
...And here I'd almost forgotten of the weird Toph/Sokka shit I ran into on tumblr while looking for some Toph gifs.

Lin is going to be full Batman, who needs powers when you're that badass?
One thing I am curious about though is whether Lin will still be able to use her Seismic Sense or is that skill only usable if one has their Earthbending.

Z

Zealkin

One thing I am curious about though is whether Lin will still be able to use her Seismic Sense or is that skill only usable if one has their Earthbending.
Well seismic sense is more vibrations, so maybe she can. There are awesome blind people in our world that use vibrations by emitting their own sound waves, to "see" the world around them so maybe Lin might still be able to do so(even though she's not blind)

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
That is an interesting point, I don't think the ability comes from bending but that earthbending enhances it.

Top Bottom