Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra (SPOILERS)

Z

Zealkin

Why is it causing fanrage on tumblr? They said everything that people already knew about the episode and didn't like about it.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Why is it causing fanrage on tumblr? They said everything that people already knew about the episode and didn't like about it.
Oh, it is not very big and it is mostly in the Borra/Bolin tag, some people (who apparently never realized it or were in denial) are miffed that Korra was vaguely aware of Bolin's feelings for her and never returned his feelings and went on the date for fun/cheering up (even though the episode already basically told us that, I guess some people needed direct confirmation from the creators or something); and/or feeling insulted that Bryke stated that the date showed off some of Bolin's "comedy chops".
Other people are apparently frustrated to learn that Bryke enjoys/enjoyed writing love triangle drama.

Anyways, the most interesting part of the commentary for me so far was episode 4 where they talk about Tarrlok being one of the story elements that was not regulated to Book 2/later Books and Bryan stating that he loved prohibition era story aesthetics and that the raid was modeled after Eliot Ness raids, I admit that the scene remind be of those elements as well.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I think that fans who are angry over the love triangle for the simple reason that it was mean for them to do that are just...I don't even know how to say it and not be a bitch. :P

Look at it objectively from a narrative stand point. Feel free to dissect it from that angle. But honestly I feel like people are saying that stories should never have drama or should never mislead you before the big reveal or should never even have any conflict ever just because it's mean and people can't handle not having what they want exactly how they want it and wrapped up in a nice package.

It's just like, ugh you people know nothing about literature or story telling so shut the eff up. I once came across a post on Tumblr about how Bryke should know better than to do a love triangle because it's just so cruel and they should be nice people and not torment fans. Like, she was super serious in that they were somehow being abusive by writing this stuff and it was wrong.

This is not the only fandom where I've seen it happen, either.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think that fans who are angry over the love triangle for the simple reason that it was mean for them to do that are just...I don't even know how to say it and not be a bitch. :P

Look at it objectively from a narrative stand point. Feel free to dissect it from that angle. But honestly I feel like people are saying that stories should never have drama or should never mislead you before the big reveal or should never even have any conflict ever just because it's mean and people can't handle not having what they want exactly how they want it and wrapped up in a nice package.

It's just like, ugh you people know nothing about literature or story telling so shut the eff up. I once came across a post on Tumblr about how Bryke should know better than to do a love triangle because it's just so cruel and they should be nice people and not torment fans. Like, she was super serious in that they were somehow being abusive by writing this stuff and it was wrong.

This is not the only fandom where I've seen it happen, either.
Yeah, I agree. The "how dare you make have FEELS for this show" whining probably annoys me more than anything in fandoms in general as well.
Even Bryan Koneitzko sorta commented on this phenomenon as well through a satirical comic:
tumblr_m5bwwxcntY1rptk5lo1_r1_1280.jpg

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Oh Gods... they called Tarrlock a "chaotic neutral" character. XD

Also, I guess I'm the only soul in the whole fandom who loved episode 5. It had me giggling like a loon the whole time. =/

When will Books 2, 3, and 4 come out?

Someday!

LOL!

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Other people are apparently frustrated to learn that Bryke enjoys/enjoyed writing love triangle drama.
i just wish they'd, yanno, make us sympathize with the characters before they went 'AND NOW LOVE TRIANGLE'

i mean we knew nothing of asami at that point, except that she is rich and her dad was paying for the fire ferrets to go to the tournament. as the season goes on, it places the viewers in the weird position of 'you should feel bad for asami, but you should want to have mako touching/comforting/what have you with korra more'

unless you looked at preproduction stuff and deeply wanted mako and korra to be together, it was rather hard to want it to happen at the end of book one because it hurt so many sympathetic characters just to get it to happen

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
the thing that pisses me off is that "this episode shows off bolin's comedy chops" is just so fucking discouraging it's like wow this is the depth of which you care for the characters and their development? this character's only purpose was to get screwed over in a dumb love triangle and what i'm supposed to take away from it is WOW BOLIN WHAT A FUNNY GUY

also what a completely unnecessary way to create tension for mako and korra

korra is naive and has always has everything handed to her; mako is a jaded street rat that had to work hard for everything he got

his irritation at her attitude was initially based on this and should have been expanded on. if you wanted to build up their relationship, have mako really show korra around republic city and how things work (the part where mako slips cash to the little kid while korra was just irritated was a nice touch that should have been expanded on. the notion that her method of intimidation and physical violence just doesn't always work in the real world was crucial to this arc). that way we get some decent character development, not baseless romantic tangles and wasted time.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
TONS of news from Comic-Con!

Caution! Looong post. :P And a GAZILLION on images!

• The book is called: “Spirits”
  • It takes place 6 months later
  • The opening scene of Book 2 is at the Southern Water tribe at a festival. There is a cool banquet hall made of ice. They go on a crazy journey through ANOTHER water tribe and it is a bit dark and scary….with balls of eerie glowing ice
  • Korra will go into the spirit world and the season will explore the history of the spirit world (in two very special episodes) and Avatar world
  • We will visit the Southern Air Temple and more ancient airbender sites.
  • Korra has a badass uncle named Unarock, who is the head of the Northern Water Tribe and is very spiritual
  • He has twins. One boy one girl, they are similarly designed, the voices have been cast (but we can’t be told).
  • Asami takes over Future Industries
  • Mako becomes a cop
  • Pro-Bending returns! Fire Ferrets vs. Rhino Lions in an animatics preview. But Mako & Korra aren’t on the team! (wtf)
  • Korra airball races Jinora & uses Avatar state to beat her! Tenzin’s pissed.
  • Amazing motorcycle chase scene b/w Korra & Mako vs. robbers. Great motorcycle driving effects.
  • Kya and Bumi will be in Book 2 as well. Kya is a waterbender with a close relationship with Senna, Korra’s mother.
  • Bumi wears Pink earmuffs
  • Verick is a new character, from the Southern Water Tribe. He is a playboy and friends with Bolin.
  • A very cool spirit creature with glowing eyes, walks on two legs, with a tail, and branch like appendages.
  • Korra’s look is very similar, longer sleeves, very athletic, Mandarin a-symmetrical top, looks a little meaner
  • Mako get’s a coat! Still has the scarf
  • Bolin has an AWESOME green parka
  • Bolin is basically looking for his path in life

tumblr_m74a27Vp4u1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74a6eSx4d1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74a9fhZ3p1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74admLMJp1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74ai7Uslv1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74alkXFI01r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74apx3Pcd1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74atihgoU1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74b0vVqgU1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74b0vVqgU1r5du0ko2_500.jpg

tumblr_m74b725d0w1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m74b725d0w1r5du0ko2_500.jpg

tumblr_m74bahBJ4B1r5du0ko1_500.jpg

[/B]
tumblr_m745f2jWcg1rb8q1fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m746882d561r5s8e9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m746aluiuc1r5s8e9o1_1280.jpg

^ That's Korra's dad. FILF...

tumblr_m747nuxPKq1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m74866tggO1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m748kjjlNv1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m7494xmlTx1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m749wmAsmY1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m749meZMqN1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m749stFsEZ1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m7494xmlTx1r5du0ko1_1280.jpg
Again, some new things:

• Team Avatar will travel to the Southern Water Tribe. They’ll visit a festival with glowing lanterns that warm up the snowscape scenery. Beautiful.
  • Korra will travel through a storm to find a glowing iceberg. Spirit world? The ice cave looks very reminiscent to the iceberg Aang was trapped in.
  • We saw concept art of the Southern Air Temple. Inspired by Chinese art, it’s a stone structure enhanced with yellow and orange skies, lush vegetation growing over it.
  • Book 2 will explore the Spirit World and how the “Avatar” lineage began. Korra will travel into the spirit world and Konietzko hints that there may be episodes later in the season dedicated to exploring the bigger landscape of the Spirit World.
  • Then we saw some new costumes. Korra will have new threads inspired by Mandarin, asymmetrical fashion. Mako and Bolin will get big, fluffy coats for the frozen tundra that maintain their color coordination (Mako loves that red scarf).
  • Asami is now the head of her dad’s Future Industries, so she’s gone corporate! Luckily, she has an alternate costume, an airship look that makes her a double for Amelia Earhart.
  • Book 2 will bump up Bumi, a fan favorite and brother of Tenzin, to a regular character. He’s got a big potbelly which fits his wacky personality.
  • His sister Kya will also be a regular player. Dubbed a hippie by “Konietzko,” Kya’s big into healing.
  • Korra’s expanded family will be introduced. The creators mentioned that Korra was inspired by MMA fighter Gina Carano, which explains her build. It also explains why her entire family is ripped.
  • Book 2 called “Spirits” and takes place six months after Book 1.
“The panel concluded with first look footage in the form of animatics (early animated storyboards that give you a feel of what to expect from the finished product). First up is a scene in the Pro-Bending arena (it’s back!) with Bolin leading the Fire Ferrets into a match with the new team, Lion Elephants. Mako and Korra are off the team — and Bolin is getting his butt kicked playing side-by-side with the newbies.
Next, a big action scene between Mako (now a policeman for Republic City) and a pair of fleeing robbers. They try and waterbend his motorcycle off the road with a sheet of ice, but he’s faster than them. He jumps the cycle into the air, spins around, firebends their truck and sends it rolling into a building. “Looks like someone had car trouble.” Diss.
Then we see Korra racing Tenzin’s kids on airballs around the air temple. It’s neck and neck, but Korra jumps into Avatar State for the extra umph to get her across the finish line. Tenzin is not pleased. “The Avatar State is not to be used as a booster rocket!” This moment may speak to the season’s larger arc, of Korra learning to master and appreciate her spiritual side.
Finally, we see Korra encounter a spiny spirit in the Southern Water Tribe. He’s spiny and wicked, like one of Miyazaki’s darker creations. The creature moves with lightning speed, pinning Korra to ice. She enters Avatar State to whip fire and water at the beast, but he tunnels underground and escapes. Conflict with the Spirit World is already shaping up to be the show’s big conceit.”
Source

Last edited:
Z

Zealkin

IM going crazy!!! This is amazing~~~I can't wait for more spirit world exploration, and yess Bolin arc Bolin arc!!!!!

Elisa Maza

Whomst
I'm excited too! I can't wait to see the characters in their new roles. :D

BTW, I'm updating the above post again and again instead of making new posts. It's better to have all the info in one post, IMO...

Z

Zealkin

"Bringing in two writers from Avatar to work on Season 2, so Bryan can focus more on design and art. "

"Bringing in two writers from Avatar to work on Season 2, so Bryan can focus more on design and art. "

YASS

Finally they get some help with all of this!!

Elisa Maza

Whomst
OK, I'm going to sleep. I'll leave the updates to you.

G'night.

I LIED OKAY

tumblr_m6qdsg8mui1rxbkp1o1_1280.jpg

where did my pants go

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Mako becomes a cop
this is actually a little disappointing cause i was hoping bolin would become a cop/learn metalbending and junk. i mean, yay, diversity in the police force but i hoped they might have a bit more about bolin

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
this is actually a little disappointing cause i was hoping bolin would become a cop/learn metalbending and junk. i mean, yay, diversity in the police force but i hoped they might have a bit more about bolin

Well there is probably an age requirement/minimum for cops, and Bolin would still be a minor in Book 2, and arguably being the new Fire Ferret Team Captain will probably thrust Bolin into more of a leadership position than being a police officer would (because one would presumably just start out as beat-cop first before actually leading any squad).

Splintered

unsavory tart
As long as they treat Bolin much better than the shit way they did in book 1 I'm good. Not sure how you can go down from that tbh.

ngl, I'm really hoping they emphasize Bolin and Asami so I am just extremely bitter. But I mostly want more wacky family dynamics with Tenzin. And Meelo. Definitely Meelo. They are my favorite and I wouldn't even care if they suddenly made the show about them.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
As long as they treat Bolin much better than the shit way they did in book 1 I'm good. Not sure how you can go down from that tbh.

ngl, I'm really hoping they emphasize Bolin and Asami so I am just extremely bitter. But I mostly want more wacky family dynamics with Tenzin. And Meelo. Definitely Meelo. They are my favorite and I wouldn't even care if they suddenly made the show about them.
I don't think just because Bolin went through relationship drama and did not have as much screen time as his brother that qualifies as being "treated shittedly". Bad/challenging things are going to happen to characters, the is a given when writing fantasy-adventure dramas.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Those animatics are awesome.

Cool that each New Team Avatar member seems to be working on their own thing in Book 2. I know a lot of fans miss the "traveling family" feel of A:TLA's Team Avatar, but I personally like how the "Krew" members are more independent of each other. It shows how they are different and distinctive from the previous Team Avatar, and it just makes logical sense that their dynamics would not be the same either since they are not on the run during a Empire-scale war (and Korra unlike Aang again, has a decently sized living family).

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
I don't think just because Bolin went through relationship drama and did not have as much screen time as his brother that qualifies as being "treated shittedly". Bad/challenging things are going to happen to characters, the is a given when writing fantasy-adventure dramas.
I felt as if his character was used as a drama reel, and then when he actually went through the potential of troubles and drama, they used him as a comedy sock puppet to showcase everybody else and didn't even bother with Bolin himself. He was a character that was a vehicle to get some laughs and launch some drama, and he got no real development from it- just some fandom lols and stuffs.

I'm not angry about being passed over for relationship drama. I may not like Makkora, but I don't like Borra either. Actually I'm not really in favor of any pairing right now, but that doesn't mean I didn't see Makkora coming a mile away. It was painfully obvious since they had to rescue Bolin. And love triangles can be fun if they are done right. Whether it was done right is up to fandom interpretation.

IDK, I actually haven't finished season 1 tbh, there were somet things I found so jarring that I decided to let all the episodes come out and then watch it all at once with a friend. I now have to get around to watching all of them. So unless Bolin gets some major character development in the last episodes, then I'll still be disappointed. I could be wrong. There could be something that turns it all around and I'll be amazed at how well fleshed out he becomes.

If no, I want Bolin to stop being stupid just for laughs and being overshadowed by everything. And I want him to actually develop as a bender too. Basically I feel like he was passed over so many times for any kind of attention it was actually distracting.

I have hope for it because my favorite character in the show is Sokka and he was comedic character too, but imo it was just better done. So with more episodes and Makkora finally checkmarked off, we can focus on other characters and fans of them don't feel so let down.

idk, I think a lot of people write off the complaints as just some bitter shippers who don't get their way and want thing to be perfect and they should shut up- and think Mako's abusive. But I don't think that's it at all. At least that's not how I feel.

Also on a lighter note, hrrrnnn old team and my feels and look at Sokka looking like the most badass guy that's my Sokka ;_;<3

Top Bottom