SPOILERS Crazed fan drives Kazushige Nojima to no longer discuss FFVII on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I am sorta annoyed that it's being generalized to "FFVII fans" and not the one who was wholesale harassing him directly, sending him translated Japanese threats, and broadcasting his results to the internet.

Jairus has been waging this Jessie bullshit for years. Generalization sorta misses the extent that they've taken it.

yeah, I think all things considered, the FF fandom is generally pretty okay? There's obvious long standing squabbles, but this is the first I've seen it actually implode onto the creators in this way. Definitely not comparable to something like Star Wars or independent content creators.

Fuckin' Jairus man. Damn.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Yeah twitter is pissed, the general consensus seems to be that while people have harrassed Nojima in the past about shipping etc.

This is definitely on Jairus, I genuinely wish for his own sanity and mentality that some of his family or friends would see what he's doing and talk with him and let him know this obsession is extremely unhealthy and he needs to get professional help at this stage.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
While I do think people have valid criticisms of jairus, I don't think it's fair to blame this all on him. If the shipping stuff is as some of you say it is, this decision of Nojima is a long time in the making. Jairus just gave him the final push

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Jairus's final push was a bum rush tackle straight off the edge of a 300 foot cliff.

Nojima has had shipping questions thrown at him since FFVII's release back in 97, but in the 12+ years of being on twitter, no one has ever made him respond like this.

And make no mistake. There have been plenty of crazy toxic shippers.

Jairus did something unique here. This is beyond a "straw that broke the camel's back." He straight up demanded an outcome for the story and threatened Nojima with the audience's reaction. It's incorrect to minimize or dilute the impact of his ultimatum, sent to the head writer of FFVII-R. The incredible disrespect and insensitivity he purposefully sent, translated into Japanese, struck a nerve never before touched by fandom.

Phantasia

Pro Adventurer
While I do think people have valid criticisms of jairus, I don't think it's fair to blame this all on him. If the shipping stuff is as some of you say it is, this decision of Nojima is a long time in the making. Jairus just gave him the final push

I somewhat agree, but this is the first time someone publicly address him with this topic, and good for Nojima for cutting it short the very first time, so people don't get used to it. If it wasn't I'm sure we would've known.

Last edited:

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
I've been following Nojima's Twitter for a couple years now, and he very rarely talks about stuff like 7R to begin with, and I don't recall a time where he ever actually replied to someone about 7R - his Twitter is mostly guinea pig photos and food photos.

If you filter by Twitter advanced search keys, you can see how many times Jairus tweeted at him or mentioned him leading up to the 16th: https://twitter.com/search?q=(from:ff7novels) (@sgwr1) until:2022-01-16&src=typed_query&f=live From the reply chains, you can tell that Jairus tweeted more at him, but deleted later (observe the replying to Jairus and Nojima). Nojima's account doesn't have an envelope icon, so you can't DM him unless he follows you back or DMs you first, btw.

I wouldn't doubt that his tweet on the 16th is related to Jairus mentioning him multiple times on the day before.

Edit: This would also mean that the people who didn't remove Nojima from the reply chain when they went to flame Jairus were also bothering Nojima, as he would receive notifications for those too. And the fact people were throwing hands with Jairus on Nojima's tweets to begin with... well, lol. We see these people as rightfully telling off Jairus, because yeah he's fucking annoying and I get it - "he started it", but maaaaaaybe people should've started new Twitter threads for this instead of polluting Nojima's replies...

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Jesus Chirst.

That's so fucking unhinged and horrifying to think of when laid out like that.

It's Misery tier shit.

For the 12+ years Nojima dared to interact with social media, no one was demented enough to just go at him over FFVII directly.

Until Jairus.

That's pretty wild to just sit on and contemplate.

Think of all the infamously deranged and unhinged participants of FFVII fandom that have been around for the past decade. FFVII House. Toxic Clertih shippers. Toxic Cloti shippers. Weird fans of particular characters or voice actors.

None of them held as much contempt for the writer as a person, disrespect to the series and a general lack of shame like Jairus did. He broke ground as a toxic Stan in FFVII.

MelodicEnigma

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, it really is a shame, but as Phantasia said, it was only a matter of time. Because it's expected, like a flare bursting on the already hot sun. That is, there comes a time where the extremes will happen, they already did a long time ago with the developers receiving death threats or demands over Aerith's death. Every company gets this stuff, I'm sure. Jairus has placed his face in the cement of their "Hall of Shame", but I somewhat just shake my head at it all. Because at the end of the day, he's the extreme result of what otherwise is an extension of the festering, dumb cesspools of fandom behavior in the dark alleys of FF7 fandom for the past 20+ years—this isn't limited to the small spaces of Twitter or just one place, it's where ever people are who are willing to lose their mind over a fucking game. You have the people who will exhibit this type of behavior to each other, and then that to the actual official parties—I don't care for either one, even the middle ground that isn't directly to the parties, but will have no problem spreading delusions and talking shit about any aspect of the development team without reason behind their backs, creating stigma and lies. Not even just perception based things either, just straight up filth. Ya'll know how it is, it's happened plenty of times in these spaces, with Jairus even specifically.

I'm glad that there isn't anyone (as far as I can tell) who is slithering out some hole and being like "Yeah Jairus! Woo! You did great bud!", and it will never be all shippers (knock on wood), and we can't extrapolate to the point of condemning them all—yeah, but boy, does this need to be a time where people stop and have a bit of self reflection of the broader mindset and behavioral patterns that breed this sort of behavior for people.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Abusers love to flip their antagonism and shitty behavior into misguided emotional reactions they simply were too ignorant or awkward to control.

A classic manipulation technique. He knew exactly what he was doing and meant it. He's not fucking stupid. He does this all the time and conveniently only regarding his favorite ride-or-die ship. Fucking asshole.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
If you do a ctrl + f on his Twitter for "I don't like to argue" you can easily see the pattern of behaviour unfold. Let's face it this is neither the first nor the last time he's went out of his way to attack creators because they don't agree with his delusions.

The guy needs honest to god help.

Didn’t someone say Jairus’ wife/girlfriend/mother-of-his-child died some years ago? I really have to wonder if his obsession with Jessie is stemming from some seriously unresolved grief from her passing or something?

If you scroll back to the shipping video it talks about his past etc but I think he's way past the point of folk on the internet helping him see sense now.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Memes aside, I know he has a kid and I genuinely worry for him. I can’t speak to how much this behavior seeps into his personal life but at this point, he has such a lack of self-awareness that I doubt he even knows how to stop. It’s the same cycle over and over again.

To bring things back to the LTD a bit, I wholly expect even more backlash towards the devs if they decide to be more forward with how the love triangle resolves, and that frustrates me to no end. People keep making it a matter of “I don’t want this side to win because their fans are toxic”, when it never should’ve been about “winning”, it should be about these creators telling the story they want to tell.

Didn’t someone say Jairus’ wife/girlfriend/mother-of-his-child died some years ago? I really have to wonder if his obsession with Jessie is stemming from some seriously unresolved grief from her passing or something?
It absolutely 100% is, if that is in fact true. He’s posted about it here before so if you can find his posts, you’ll be able to see him explaining this. He doesn’t seem to bring it up on Twitter from what I’ve seen but I swear to God he is one step away from using that to garner sympathy and deflect criticism.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, he needs therapy not an imaginary munitions expert eco-terrorist. His damage shouldn't be FFVII's problem since no amount of harassment or arguments will ever fix what's wrong with him.

As for his kid, I don't even want to stop and think about the mental damage he's made them suffer. It's horrifying.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah. I kind of alluded to it in the past, and he shared it himself, but from my past conversations with him it seemed increasingly obvious he saw his dead girlfriend in Jessie, and he saw himself in Cloud. I believe that's the reason he's as weird about this as he is, though it seemed to me that he wasn't consciously aware he was projecting his situation onto the game. I feel bad for his kid.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I’m afraid it’s only a matter of time before somebody just as unhinged responds to the energy he puts out there in kind. As others have pointed out, he’s far from the only obsessive shipper in the fanbase. He should have never gotten this much attention in the first place but once he got on the radar of YouTubers and Twitch streamers, I knew it was too late to turn back.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Yeah. I kind of alluded to it in the past, and he shared it himself, but from my past conversations with him it seemed increasingly obvious he saw his dead girlfriend in Jessie, and he saw himself in Cloud. I believe that's the reason he's as weird about this as he is, though it seemed to me that he wasn't consciously aware he was projecting his situation onto the game. I feel bad for his kid.

I just hope he can get some help. He clearly needs it

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
God I didn't know he has a kid I really hope he hasn't allowed his online behaviour to get in the way of his parenting or his relationship with his kid that would be so unfair to them as well.

I'd heard about his wife/girlfriend and I believe he's done a podcast with someone on twitter explaining how Jessie reminds him of her but didn't know he had a kid as well.

I can understand him using the FF7 fandom as a way to cope with his grief, I really can but when it gets to a point of absolute obsession where you can't separate it from reality, clearly something is wrong on a much deeper level and that's when help is needed and I say that out of genuine concern that he is in need of help on a professional level.

Am I angry that his behaviour lead directly to what's just happened? Yes its still disgusting behaviour there is no excuse whatsoever for what he did but he seriously needs help with whatevers going on in his head that has caused him to fixate to in such an unhealthy way and honestly remove himself from the FF7 fandom.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I think it's important to note that, Japan has a very corporate/self preservationist ethos when it comes to fan interaction. Iirc this was one of the reasons why the Trigger/Gainax split happened, but I honestly can't remember where I heard that and can't find a source for it...

Ofc not to mention the way crazy fans respond to anime over there has caused actual deaths. I think it might be easy for many to write off these tweets as just an example of a deluded fan posting giga-cringe, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nojima took them as legitimately threatening. I doubt Jairus is aware of, or really cares, about this context :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom