FF7 Headcanons and Discussion

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hm. My headcanon was that a rogue Cetra cast Meteor the first time, and Jenova hitched a ride on what was summoned (or was part of it to begin with).

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I like the concept, Ite, of humans' foibles being exactly what saved the Planet from Jenova. I'm less sure if I buy into the Cetra refusing to use offensive magic though.

The Black Materia had to come from somewhere after all. And Aerith never seemed to mind too much :monster:

I feel as if we had a similar discussion once before. I'm pretty sure that Yuffie says something like "Materia is crystallised memory, and so many materia are about fighting and stuff. The Ancients must have been pretty warlike." I see the Planet as more of an instinctive organism than a sentient being, and I don't think humans are so bad. They just have their own agenda.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, Yuffie says something like that. Here's the exact quote:

----
Yuffie
“Cloud…urp…ugh.”
“You know‚I was thinking…phew…
Why does Materia always have
something to do with
battles or magic?”
“I bet the Ancients must've always been fighting.”
“It must've been…ugh…terrible…”
----

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Yeah, Yuffie says something like that. Here's the exact quote:

----
Yuffie
“Cloud…urp…ugh.”
“You know‚I was thinking…phew…
Why does Materia always have
something to do with
battles or magic?”
“I bet the Ancients must've always been fighting.”
“It must've been…ugh…terrible…”
----

I always wondered why that was never elaborated on because that would have been an interesting question to answer.

A thought.

Kalm sells Mythril Armlets and Mythril weapons because the material is taken from the somewhat-nearby Mythril Mines.

North Corel sells Carbon Bangles because, well, coal is made of carbon and coal is kind of their thing. Not sure if they still handle coal in any way, but that's what they are associated with.

In the other areas we only have speculative assocations.

Cosmo Canyon - Silver Armlet -> Silver Mines?

Rocket Town - Gold Armlet -> Gold Mines?

Bone Village - Diamond Bangle -> Digging up diamonds while also researching earth sediments?

Mideel - Crystal Bangle & Crystal weapons -> Crystal Mines?

The idea appeals to me mostly that somewhere on the southeastern isles, there is a Crystal Mine where the Mideel-ers get all their crystals. To explain why the village still looks very poor, I suppose that canonically the crystals they dig up aren't valuable enough to significantly boost their economy and the stores don't actually sell weapons and armor which are overpowered compared to all other stores on the planet.

Crystal Mine = Sidequest caves for remake or other :D

So in my headcanon, the Crystal Mines can be found roughly
bAOUXmP.png

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^At least FFVII has sensible weapon materials...

The Elder Scrolls has Ebony and Glass as minerals you can mine out of the ground, and they're some of the best armor materials in their weapon/armor categories...

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
That would be a great dungeon, especially it it included all those islands leading up to the Huge Materia cave. I feel like the ocean and the land would make the most fabulous crystal mines over/under/within the tidal waters.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Don't know where to put this, headcanon seems like the best section...

Just got finished reading the manga Deadman Wonderland and realized that the majority of it (especially the second half) is pretty much the same story as FFVII, but on Earth with enough of an AU to net the Sephiroth figure a happy ending as well.

Anyone else think I'm nuts???

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
The Today's Special from the Wall Market Diner is actually a hodgepodge of left-overs and/or stored ingredients nearing expiration. :monster:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Possible New Headcanon: The Nibel Mountains are a product of the epic final battle between the Cetra and Jenova. Jenova was consequently buried there, where they found her.

I'm not 100% sold on the second part. But I'll think on it.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Here is a just for fun headcannon. Sephiroth when he was young was once taken to Deepground for a while so they could see how he could put up with taking on some of their warriors.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Headcanon: After Meteor, Shinra military trained guard hounds escaped and started hunting in the Midgar wastelands, wiping out every other animal they could catch. Which is why Cloud gets so much business and why they're desperate enough to attack an armoured truck in Dirge.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jenova was actually Spira's personifaction/goddess of its Farplane. Since FF10 is the past of FF7 this would explain a little what happened to Spira between those thousand of years. It would give her a sort of Fruedian Excuse for how she came to be. Like if something happened that made Spira inhabitable or it was damaged so badly that Jenova had to leave with the Fareplane. The negative lifestream we see Sephiroth conjure up is actually a remmnant of the Fareplane.

The Fareplane and the Planet's Lifestream are a bit simliar but ulitmately the Fareplane operates on different rules that don't mesh well with the Fareplane's.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Farplane

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Barret used to be a prizewinning amateur boxer. He misses it, but can't spar anymore because it's too easy to kill someone with his right hand.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Insomuch as I can tell working off the FFVII field sprites, he DOES appear to have pretty good form when he's working the heavy bag down in 7th Heaven's basement hideout.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Of course, hes absolutely shit at pinball :monster:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
The guy who's firing the gun in the weapon shop in Sector 7 (the one who has a message for Cloud) is Kunsel. He knows Cloud wasn't a 1st Class Soldier because he never came across him in all his years of service. He ditched SOLDIER right around the time Zack died (unbeknownst to him) and lived in the slums to avoid Shinra and keep an eye on Aerith. He also restyled his hair to be more Zack-like as a tribute to him. He decided to help Cloud out with the Beginner's Hall shindig because Cloud reminds him of Zack (largely because Cloud at this point IS Zack).

I reckon he made a dramatic return to SOLDIER form and helped evacuate the Sector before the plate dropped and died in the trying.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
On TV Tropes I found a WMG about what Jenova could possibly have been. Some say she could have originally have been a goddess like Minverva who was corrupted by mako being turned into electricity. They depleted their planet so badly and somehow managed to stop Jenova from just launching their Lifestream into space, Omega-style, and once they'd gotten past the point of no return, Jenova was forced to choose between dying on a lifeless rock or wandering the stars and snacking on other worlds' Lifestreams in order to perpetuate her own existence.

Makes Jenova into a Woobie Destroyer of Worlds.

Last edited:

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
We've discussed that very thing in this thread before.

Oops, sorry keep forgetting. But speaking of that do you think that Shinra from FFX-2 had descendants that eventually depleted Spira of its own mako which then made it into a lifeless husk. It could be the reason why eventually they just left Spira and traveled around the universe in search of another planet.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
No, it was explained that Shinra couldn't get it to work, but his descendants would manage to on another world after space travel had been achieved. :monster:

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
No, it was explained that Shinra couldn't get it to work, but his descendants would manage to on another world after space travel had been achieved. :monster:

I still wonder what has happened to Spira by the time of Final Fantasy 7. It would make an interesting plot.

Top Bottom