SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 14 Spoiler Discussion

billy22

Pro Adventurer
I did some digging on the optional scene for this chapter via reddit and gamefaqs. Apparently doing all side quests in chapter 3 (Tifa) and chapter 8 (Aerith) are the #1 factors to determining which girl's scene you get. For example:

How much => Something hard => completed all CH3 quests => Not happening to Jessie => completed all CH8 quests => She's in great shape => No thanks => It matter what I think? => Refuse mystery drink => Tifa in Sewers = Tifa scene (This was my result)

Then I've seen others online claim this:

How much => Something hard => don't do CH3 quests => Great shape => It matter what I think? => Tifa in Sewers = Aerith scene

...and vice-versa for not doing the CH8 quests while being pro-Aerith in dialogue. That still leads to a Tifa scene.

Honestly, it may be that the only choices that matter are doing the girl's side quests, the flower, and the drink. In the result of a tie, whoever you pick in the sewers seems to be the deciding factor. These other choices will need more experimenting with, but if they do have any 'affection points,' it is minimal by comparison. You get Barret's by simply ignoring the side quests and refusing the drink and the flower, supposedly.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Though with the flower "refusal" (since you get the flower no matter), I heard the "don't be stupid" choices is a more "pro-Aerith" than just accepting it with the second dialogue option.

I disagree that Elmyra is an above-average good person. She's an averagely good person. She took in Aerith for her own personal reasons, she's a caring, nuturing woman who doesn't turn away injured people or children, and that's about it.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
I also got the Tifa scene and I loved it, it was so unexpectedly intimate, but there’s something that has been bothering me. Because of some scenes in Chapter 3, I was under the impression that Tifa and Cloud have never really had a chance to talk about what happened in Nibelheim. At one point, Tifa tells Cloud he’s changed, and he says something along the lines of “well it’s been five years after all”, to which Tifa goes “huh?” and then the game quickly moves on. She doesn’t seem to have any clue that he thinks they met five years ago, so…

“They took our home away from us… again.”

But…if they never touched upon the infamous five years ago, isn’t it a pretty big assumption for her to think that Cloud would know what she’s talking about? Is what happened in Nibelheim more widely known here than it is implied in the original? And if she thinks that he doesn’t know and she’s talking more for her sake than his… well why hasn’t she told him that his mother 99% died and that Shinra’s responsible for it? I also can’t remember if Tifa ever reacts to Sephiroth being mentioned, I kind of rushed through the game and now the scenes are all a bit jumbled in my head, so it’s possible I’m missing/misremembering something here.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I also got the Tifa scene and I loved it, it was so unexpectedly intimate, but there’s something that has been bothering me. Because of some scenes in Chapter 3, I was under the impression that Tifa and Cloud have never really had a chance to talk about what happened in Nibelheim. At one point, Tifa tells Cloud he’s changed, and he says something along the lines of “well it’s been five years after all”, to which Tifa goes “huh?” and then the game quickly moves on. She doesn’t seem to have any clue that he thinks they met five years ago, so…

“They took our home away from us… again.”

But…if they never touched upon the infamous five years ago, isn’t it a pretty big assumption for her to think that Cloud would know what she’s talking about? Is what happened in Nibelheim more widely known here than it is implied in the original? And if she thinks that he doesn’t know and she’s talking more for her sake than his… well why hasn’t she told him that his mother 99% died and that Shinra’s responsible for it? I also can’t remember if Tifa ever reacts to Sephiroth being mentioned, I kind of rushed through the game and now the scenes are all a bit jumbled in my head, so it’s possible I’m missing/misremembering something here.

Depending on the state Tifa finds Cloud in it's quite possible she has talked to him about it without getting too much in the way of reply.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
I guess. What throws me off a bit is that she’s clearly saying they, as in Shinra, which really can’t be what the general public knows, if they know anything about it at all. Maybe Tifa did ask him why he’s no longer a SOLDIER and he just went, idk, “I can no longer be a SOLDIER after what they did in Nibelheim” and they left it at that because they’re Cloud and Tifa and they don’t talk about stuff :mon:

Depending on the state Tifa finds Cloud in it's quite possible she has talked to him about it without getting too much in the way of reply.

Could be, could be. I'm really curious of how they're going to handle this in future parts since they clearly won't be able to get away with a couple of "………" from Tifa here and there.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I guess. What throws me off a bit is that she’s clearly saying they, as in Shinra, which really can’t be what the general public knows, if they know anything about it at all. Maybe Tifa did ask him why he’s no longer a SOLDIER and he just went, idk, “I can no longer be a SOLDIER after what they did in Nibelheim” and they left it at that because they’re Cloud and Tifa and they don’t talk about stuff :mon:

Could be, could be. I'm really curious of how they're going to handle this in future parts since they clearly won't be able to get away with a couple of "………" from Tifa here and there.
Maybe not the general public, but since Cloud is claiming to have been a SOLDIER 1st Class, I think that indicates to Tifa that Cloud was/is very much not the general public, and thus privy to more knowledge.

I think that she was so overrun by emotion that she didn't think about it truly, she just spoke her heart.
This too, as well.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
I got Tifa's scene, yeah that "they took our home from us" line really hits hard, particularly given Tifa seems to be trying to hold it together in Chapter 13. It reminded me of her echoing the "I'm sick of all of this" line from the Nibel flashback in an earlier cutscene, and I think that's really when I realised just how strong the characters are in Remake. The way they not just act, but react, it all makes sense for each of them, and in turn makes them feel real. A great effort from everyone involved - writers, VAs, mocap, localisation, the full monty. Very impressed.

On the other hand, I spent 45 bloody minutes doing that bastard pull-ups minigame for the trophy. Jesus wept, the pad was about falling out of my hands with how much my palms were sweating.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I hated this chapter. The fact that I cannot stand side quests did not change. Need to find the children? Not in the hideout or anywhere I look in town? Fuck it. Looks like I don't get any scenes with the girls since I don't want to bother with this frustrating crap - it's fine, I'll watch it on YouTube. The only thing I did was get Fat Chocobo and Shiva, which was pretty fun, actually. Went straight to Corneo's and listened to ambient dialog, which the game is good with. The sewer bit was pointless padding. I thought I was enjoying Leslie's sidestory until they went all corny with it saying "ohh she must have had a reaason, she gave a siiign, she's probably still aliive." Ugh. The whole thing was basically a waste of my 3 hour allotment of time.

Whack-a-Box: Hard Mode
- Iron Blade
- No Materia
- All boxes destroyed
Let me know if I missed any boxes.
- Personal style points: Cleared with just below 7 seconds to spare.

This one was a doozy to record since my first time getting the maximum score didn't look good enough and on my second time the recording was botched because two seconds got cut out. It is annoyingly frequent that the PS4's recording feature cuts out 1-2 seconds here and there. Thankfully the third time was indeed the charm.

I noticed that the Parry materia (acquired it at long last in Ch14) has the effect so that you don't switch back to Operator Mode when you dodge. This might be useful for the minigame but I forgot to test it out before advancing to the next chapter.

Never considered the possibility that Deadly Dodge could be used for this minigame. Thanks for the tip, @Misterbadguy! I'll have to test that out, along with Parry.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually used Deadly Dodge throughout my 70-hour playthrough so far and each time I haven't found a good use for it. Must be something about its utility that I'm missing since so many keep on talking about how good it is.

Scot-88

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Scot
Hey all. First time poster. Long time lurked ✌ while searching the Don's mansion basement, a voice can be heard behind the locked door of the forbidden room. The chat log simply identifies the voice as ??? and he is asking for help. This is my second play through and I cant remember finding a way to the voice the first time round. Has anyone else came across a way to return to this room or interact with the person behind it?

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
This chapter was up there as one of my favourites so far. Plotwise it was nothing special, but it did a lot of things I really enjoyed. Then again, I actually enjoyed doing postgame stuff in XV so...
  • I got the Tifa scene, and liked how it captured her feelings, Cloud's feelings, and how they interact with one another.
  • Kyrie is kind of an asshole and I love her for it.
  • Leslie is kind of a boring asshole but I warmed up to him by the end.
  • Betty's music sidequest was the kind of silly little moment that I think fits FFVII. The guy finding his "fighting spirit" before shadow boxing and the old man busting a move were perfectly goofy to me. Helps that Betty (like Marlene) is a cute and believable kid unlike most of the others in Sector 5
  • The behemoth boss fight was really, really fun. I always targeted its lower body first, which kinda made me feel like I was beating up a crippled person, but it's eat or be eaten in Midgar. I don't make the rules
  • I like the materia Chadley gives you, and I don't feel bad telling him to fuck off every time I see him so he's A-OK in my book
  • Going through the whole game without a map or compass really paid off here. I felt like a local just running from place to place without really thinking about it. And the pedometer materia was a fun little aside too.
  • I finally managed to beat Leviathan too, so it's nice to have that done. Kinda funny that every summon has the exact same role, doing damage. I guess Carbuncle would be different but I don't have that one.
  • I really appreciate that you can trigger a limit break without pausing the battle. They're still really flashy if you want to see them, but you can also have them going while you control another character which is a cool view.
  • Award for best line of the chapter goes to Cloud telling the kids that whack-a-box against monsters is a terrible idea. The deadpan delivery is perfect.

Scot-88

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Scot
Hey all. First time poster. Long time lurked ✌ while searching the Don's mansion basement, a voice can be heard behind the locked door of the forbidden room. The chat log simply identifies the voice as ??? and he is asking for help. This is my second play through and I cant remember finding a way to the voice the first time round. Has anyone else came across a way to return to this room or interact with the person behind it?
Nevermind. I got there ?

Playing through Chapter 14 transported me to all the sidequesting and fun that I typically have on Disc 3 in the original game. While Ch9 is a favorite in terms of the sheer party atmosphere and fanservice, Ch14 feels like a culmination of the gameplay experience.

The thing about the original game is that I never felt like the materia system TRULY opened up until the final disc, as the best opportunities for materia growth open up and you can truly start experimenting. Over the years there have been playthroughs where it felt like I was mostly drudging through the first two discs just to get to the part that I really love no matter what. The FFVII story is wonderful but I prefer skipping familiar cutscenes so that I can experience familiar gameplay territory, which I think shows that I lean towards gameplay moreso than story.

TUcB3KO.png

On that note, the minutes spent in FFVIIR carefully choosing my materia and equipment for difficult battles and the hours spent grinding in the colosseum was blissful hard work. There are just so many customization options in terms of materia, weapons and their upgrades, bangles and accessories. From the beginning, the way that no weapon or bangle is universally superior feels like I'm playing a mod of the original FFVII where equipment has been changed to be far more interesting and diverse.

I completed all the Battle Intels in Ch14. Had to spend three hours in the colosseum grinding 4000 AP (made easier with AP Up materia, thankfully) to max out my Revival Materia and get the appropriate Battle Intel achievement. Did most of my grinding in the "Three-Person Team vs. Shinra Warriors" battle and let's just say I got seriously good at it. Thanks to the Battle Intels and my time in the colosseum I finally truly understand how Tifa functions in battle. For the longest time I haven't understood what Tifa's "deal" is gameplay-wise, but now I do. ;)

By the time I moved on to Ch15 all my party members were at Lv43. :wacky:

HOLY MOOGLES ON A GUARD STICK THAT BAHAMUT BATTLE WAS EPIC AS FUUUUUUCK! Here I thought the Type-0 Behemoth battle was a great semi-superboss but Bahamut truly brought on that superboss feeling.

I had my ass promptly kicked on my first attempt but on my second try I learned my lessons. My equipment was already optimized for the battle (making sure that weapons and bangles maximized my Magic Defense, since almost all attacks by Bahamut are magic-based) but I just had to git gud: Roughly keep your party members in a triangle around Bahamut so that you can lure the dragon away to whoever was just your controlled character and then deal some damage while Bahamut is busy. It's almost humorous at times how much the AI focuses on the character that you are currently controlling and here you really have to take advantage of that AI quirk. Also managed to dodge one of Bahamut's energy balls that I thought were impossible to avoid, but the battle was over before I could practice and confirm this safe way to avoid damage.

Finished off the battle with Barret's Catastrophe, the first time I've seen this limit break in FFVIIR, and that just added to the absolute epicness of the experience.

AW YEAH! ANOTHER ONE IN THE BAG!

Also was it just me or was the battle music against Bahamut almost taken straight out of FFX? Definitely sounded similar.

Last edited:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I've not read any of the supplementary universe material, but I still can't help but feel like the entire Kyrie scenario should have been Yuffie's introduction as she scrapes together some gil and materia as she cons the group.
That's an interesting idea, but I wonder if the added focus on Wutai in the main plot will change the party's initial interactions with Yuffie. When do they find out she's from Wutai in the OG? I can't remember.

Top Bottom