SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 14 Spoiler Discussion

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I’m almost as stingy in games as I am in real life. I always end up using hardly any items in games until like the last boss.

Edit: @Odysseus, I didn’t need to grind at all on Normal. I did not actually attempt to play Ch 18 though. I really needed to get it done ASAP for the sake of my personal life.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
I grinded enough to get money needed to buy equipment that I wanted for everyone, the most expensive choices (Luxury Massage), or to max out all green materia for the Battle Intel report (Thank god they finally threw a AP Up at you for Revival, or I would most likely still be in this chapter), then I moved on. I didn't do it a whole lot, but just a few places so I could have everything I needed to challenge myself early with bosses like Bahamut. I usually don't mind grinding unless I'm doing it for more than one day (Looking at you Dragon Quest II and Phantasy Star 1....). I throw a podcast on whenever I do that and find it meditating.

Fangu

Great Old One
I'm same as @ForceStealer - I used to hoard, but I've stopped doing it ever since watching speedrunning, for some reason. I'm more likely to gamble using up my items now. I've made sure to have at least 10 Ethers, Mega-Potions and Phoenix Downs, enough to last a difficult battle but no more. The only items I've been saving/ not using are Turbo Ethers and Elixirs, both because I haven't been in a tight enough spot to use one - I think I've used one Turbo Ether? Also I rarely find myself in a situation where I need both healing AND MP, so for me Elixirs are pretty much the same as Turbo Ethers. I'm actually not sure how many I have right now, might as well just start using them I guess :P

Also, grinding - I haven't really been doing much of it in VIIR, and I feel like I've gained more than enough levels anyway.

Edit: When do you get the Battle Intel reports that gives you AP up? I only had two open ones at the time of starting chapter 15, they were that purple limit break materia (R something) and the "MAX all magic materia" one.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think I just enjoy the challenge of getting by without needing to rely on items. Spamming them just means you aren't playing well.

I thinks that's why I'm enjoying hard mode so much, no items allowed. You just gotta "git gud" at the game, as the kids say.

Heck, there have been times where I didn't use a summon because I just wanted to manage the fight myself.

Fangu

Great Old One
Oh damn that Pedometer materia :D Yeah I got it, I saw the name and instanty thought "omg VIIR has Traveler ha ha"
(Traveler is a technique used a lot in XII speedruns)

While I see the argument on using items as making the game easier, items are also costilier to get. Not buying them saves you a bunch of money you can use on weapons and armour instead.
The latter main title games have had this thing where items are, as Force puts it, a time save. Items are OP in XII and all the XII games.
I didn't know you can't use items in Hard Mode. I guess they realised how OP they can be in time based / interruption based games and decided to make that part of Hard Mode. I find that to be pretty neat.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Tonberries are broken in this game. They're one of the most fucked up, lethal incarnations of the beasties I've seen in FF in a long time.

Nothing in this game gives complete 100% safety from instant death save for a mastered Warding materia with a Subversion materia.

The amount of AP to get it mastered means its going to be a long, long time before that happens.

Cloud's Punisher counter can sometimes block and counter the Chef Knife attack however, Gloom and Doom is another Instant Death move so you just either take it or hope you can guard against it.

FYI, in Hard Mode, Hell House will spew out 3 Tonberries during the fight against it.

Yeah.

Fuck tonberries in this game :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
FYI, in Hard Mode, Hell House will spew out 3 Tonberries during the fight against it.

tumblr_p4e7o920aP1qc775so1_400.gifv

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Exactly.

They have less health but they literally do the same moves and carry the same lethality as the real deal. It's not like the fakes from the Fat Chocobo fight or anything. They'll Chef Knife you to death and you'll rage at your game going, "What the fuck is this shit?!"

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer

Are you having a laugh?

I am having fun rattling through play through number two on normal with a far greater understanding of what's going on, but what on earth is this?

I was quite looking forward to having a crack at hard mode, but not like this...I feel trapped!

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Are you having a laugh?

I am having fun rattling through play through number two on normal with a far greater understanding of what's going on, but what on earth is this?

I was quite looking forward to having a crack at hard mode, but not like this...I feel trapped!

I'm not kidding, at the beginning of the fight it's gonna spew out 3 tonberries. They have less health so 2 Triple Slashes from a high attack level 50 Cloud should take them out, that is if he doesn't get knifed during the attack or something.

It'll also spew out 2 Sweepers during the fight. One buzz-saw Sweeper and the other is a normal kind.

But it will spew out 3 tonberries twice during the fight. So be prepared. Literally had to fall back on those Auto-Life earrings because of how fucking stupid Tonberries are, alongside the broke ass Hell House too. I feel like the Hell House is the biggest kick in the face Hard Mode gives you during the main story mode but I'm still not done with it so take that with a grain of salt. :monster:

However, no fight or difficult situation in the Remake ever made me feel so cheated or abused like that fight did. LOL it was horrible but at least, satisfying to take down. Hell House on normal was fun and challenging on Normal.

Hell House on Hard almost felt like a superboss.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Pedometer materia?! What Chadley-ass bullshit is this?!

Sponsored by fucking Fitbit...Jesus wept.

From a purely lore perspective, this seems ridiculous. The memories and knowledge of the lifestream came together, crystallised and not you too can call forth the power of... Getting you steps in!

I jest, mostly. But it did make me go "What the fuck?"

Top Bottom