FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Oh, you should have said things like "Basch lives!", "Don't believe Ondore's lies!", and "I'm Basch von Ransenburg of Dalmasca!" while you were doing that, Ody, and gone all Vaan on them. I think somebody actually did that in a Youtube video once, it was pretty funny.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
CC3F6107-729D-443B-A370-F712F843F233.jpeg
It turns out that every eyelash on Cloud’s eyes are modeled. ...In polygons. They didn’t just use sets of texture planes like they did older games - Every. Eyelash. Is. Modeled.
F0B2C10F-507F-45A4-BD7F-EDBA4D8DA5F2.jpeg
What the hell, Square? That’s awesome. (Also they nailed his eye shape)

In case anyone was curious.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
^ Speaking of which, I was thinking about this last night so seems opportune to ask others' opinions: do you think they will change the character models not just to upgrade for next gen graphics but also just in general, even if subtly? Namely, to differentiate the 'parts/episodes', or to somehow show character development visually? Or do you think they'll keep the models the same to emphasise continuity?

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
.... That level of detail is awe inspiring and absolutely terrifying.

Every eyelash... Is modeled in polygons... Jesus. That's beyond attention to detail... That's a level of intricacy akin to a creator and their new life form.
I guess games are their own little worlds these days. Game companies playin’ god by making virtual humans

Boy, you act fast huh? I cannot believe the level of detail they put into this thing, no wonder it took 6+ years. I can only imagine what the PS5 models will look like...
Expect no less, aha! Yeah. The improvements they’ve made have been huge - I doubt 2015 Remake Cloud had all of this detail.

I imagine the PS5 models will be the same or similar, just with better rendering techniques.

^ Speaking of which, I was thinking about this last night so seems opportune to ask others' opinions: do you think they will change the character models not just to upgrade for next gen graphics but also just in general, even if subtly? Namely, to differentiate the 'parts/episodes', or to somehow show character development visually? Or do you think they'll keep the models the same to emphasise continuity?
I’m expecting very slight changes, but nothing huge.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
It turns out that every eyelash on Cloud’s eyes are modeled. ...In polygons. They didn’t just use sets of texture planes like they did older games - Every. Eyelash. Is. Modeled.

What the hell, Square? That’s awesome. (Also they nailed his eye shape)

In case anyone was curious.
That's not the gameplay model though, is it? Cutscene model?

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Same here, Prism. I've always liked 3D stuff but never got around to learning much about it. Used to make stuff with Daz Studio years ago but haven't done it in a long time.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Definitely! I got them from you actually, Jairus. From the XNA links you posted in the Clessie thread. I'll upload a version that can be loaded into 3D modeling software (.obj)

If you guys wanna study the models, I have some info for context.
Modern 3D involves the use of a lot of specialized tools that assist in the work greatly. For instance, the modern games industry uses a clothing simulator called Marvelous Designer to get folds and wrinkles (and how cloth lays on the body) portrayed correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if Square had some kind of proprietary tool that helps them layer hair in the intricate way that they do, which also could explain the eyebrows and lashes. Most modern game models are either optimized versions of sculpts made in programs like zBrush or human scans that are used as base models. (Resident Evil 2 did the scan route)
I don't think Final Fantasy uses human scans - Square seems to have a base custom model that they alter into individual characters.

To learn more about a level of 3D modeling that could be made more realistically "by-hand," I would go to any game within X and XIII. (XIII's still certainly use some of the more modern tools, but they're at a polycount that could still be recreated by hand IMO)
Final Fantasy X's model rips can be found here, and likewise, XIII's can be found here. X's in particular are good to learn from. And if you wanna go really efficient and super low poly, Dissidia's are pretty good.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
FFVII-R Cloud's eyelashes alone are probably more complicated than the entirety of his FFVII model, battle or otherwise. (Even the final battle model) With that said, FFVII on the PSX still has really nice graphics, lol. Not even kidding or "for the time," they genuinely are pleasing to look at. So by all means - pine after those low-poly figurines!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I was joking with someone that Cloud's hair alone probably has more polygons than the entirety of the original world map. I agree with you though; for how much people make fun of them, the original character models are very appealing to me (wouldn't use one as my avatar otherwise.) I'll take Popeye arms over FFVIII's murky "realistic" textures any day.

Rose_of_Night

Pro Adventurer
Definitely! I got them from you actually, Jairus. From the XNA links you posted in the Clessie thread. I'll upload a version that can be loaded into 3D modeling software (.obj)

If you guys wanna study the models, I have some info for context.
Modern 3D involves the use of a lot of specialized tools that assist in the work greatly. For instance, the modern games industry uses a clothing simulator called Marvelous Designer to get folds and wrinkles (and how cloth lays on the body) portrayed correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if Square had some kind of proprietary tool that helps them layer hair in the intricate way that they do, which also could explain the eyebrows and lashes. Most modern game models are either optimized versions of sculpts made in programs like zBrush or human scans that are used as base models. (Resident Evil 2 did the scan route)
I don't think Final Fantasy uses human scans - Square seems to have a base custom model that they alter into individual characters.

To learn more about a level of 3D modeling that could be made more realistically "by-hand," I would go to any game within X and XIII. (XIII's still certainly use some of the more modern tools, but they're at a polycount that could still be recreated by hand IMO)
Final Fantasy X's model rips can be found here, and likewise, XIII's can be found here. X's in particular are good to learn from. And if you wanna go really efficient and super low poly, Dissidia's are pretty good.
Not all heroes wear capes ❤❤

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
It is indeed his cutscene model. Even for a cutscene model, there's a level of fidelity that not even XV had.
I have a correction to make here. I went into the FFVII demo again tonight and studied Cloud's model, looking for consistencies on various points. Turns out...IT'S HIS GAMEPLAY MODEL.

Color me surprised. I took a close look at his lashes, the bolts on his armor, the stud behind his earring, indents on his suspender holder - you know, little details that could easily be done with a normal map on a slightly lower-definition model. They were all consistent with the model rip I thought was his cutscene model. But nah, his gameplay model's just that detailed. It makes me wonder if A) his cutscene model is even more ridiculously detailed or B) they use the same model for both, which would be a first.

I've got the goods uploaded, by the way. Sending out in PMs now.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Alright so, because of this Good Friday nonsense I'm gonna cancel my Amazon preorder and instead reserved a copy of the Deluxe edition at a small local retailer. Their website literally advertises that registered customers can get their games a few days before release, so I may in fact get it early. :wackymonster:
I stopped buying through Amazon because of being anti-union, but what happened on good Friday?

Reactions: Ite
Top Bottom