FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
What I love about this trailer is that it was marketed with the question “Who is Cloud Strife” and then the trailer shows a Cloud who is a complete fabrication — if you don’t know, he just looks awesome. If you DO know, you can see all the cracks in the veneer. It’s just unreal how much they are nailing it with him, and how successfully they are marketing this game to new players.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Red is a fully playable character in the original and will likely be in the Remake as well. I was talking about him and the rest of the original playable cast, not the trio. And again, you don't know that they can't bring him forward while preserving and enhancing his story, either. Everyone knows he first appears in Midgar, and SE knows it, too. I doubt they'll push him to Part 2 when they know he does have a part in the Midgar story, one that is possible to expand to give us more time with him and him more story and development. And we know there are story changes, of which the watchmen are likely to be but one out of many. And if you don't think we should be speculating, then don't do it yourself. I was merely commenting on what was possible, not what was certain.
I

If you feel that way, then don't say others are making assumptions and further imply making asses of themselves for replying to your speculative comments with their own thoughts on the subject.

Yes, they can change Red's introduction and have it not have negative impact on things. They could also screw up. They could have also scrapped the bombing missions and introduced everyone else in entirely, yet equally rich in characterisation and adventure. Instead we still start with Cloud and Barret on bombing mission where Cloud meets Aerith afterwards when they are seperated and so on. From what we've seen they'll still do their best to deliver the same major character beats from the original.

Having Red attack the Shinra Tower with Cloud, Tifa and Barret instead of joining Avalanche because they are actively helping him escape it would be pretty big, instead of deciding to stick with the crew until he gets home because he finds the story Cloud tells fascinating, he throws everything on the line from day one with no goal beyond helping. This would be a retooling of his character from the ground up. Not saying this would be BAD but it doesn't strike me as how SE would handle it. Just because the Compilation didn't feature Red doesn't mean the Remake should feel obligated to work twice as hard to make up for it. Red's role in the OG FFVII and his intro in that game wasn't bad, nor a problem that the Remake should be taking itself to task to fix.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
What I love about this trailer is that it was marketed with the question “Who is Cloud Strife” and then the trailer shows a Cloud who is a complete fabrication — if you don’t know, he just looks awesome. If you DO know, you can see all the cracks in the veneer. It’s just unreal how much they are nailing it with him, and how successfully they are marketing this game to new players.

Yes! Exactly! Their marketing team is doing a top-notch job. From everything they've shown, it appears we'll be very happy. I think, some Unreal Engine issues aside, the only thing I've seen that gives me pause is the addition of the Guardians of Fate.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I

If you feel that way, then don't say others are making assumptions and further imply making asses of themselves for replying to your speculative comments with their own thoughts on the subject.

Yes, they can change Red's introduction and have it not have negative impact on things. They could also screw up. They could have also scrapped the bombing missions and introduced everyone else in entirely, yet equally rich in characterisation and adventure. Instead we still start with Cloud and Barret on bombing mission where Cloud meets Aerith afterwards when they are seperated and so on. From what we've seen they'll still do their best to deliver the same major character beats from the original.

Having Red attack the Shinra Tower with Cloud, Tifa and Barret instead of joining Avalanche because they are actively helping him escape it would be pretty big, instead of deciding to stick with the crew until he gets home because he finds the story Cloud tells fascinating, he throws everything on the line from day one with no goal beyond helping. This would be a retooling of his character from the ground up. Not saying this would be BAD but it doesn't strike me as how SE would handle it. Just because the Compilation didn't feature Red doesn't mean the Remake should feel obligated to work twice as hard to make up for it. Red's role in the OG FFVII and his intro in that game wasn't bad, nor a problem that the Remake should be taking itself to task to fix.

I never said the changes would be drastic. But you miss the fact that even if his rescue does come prior to Aerith's in another location, he would still feel compelled to help them save Aerith because they helped him first, which aligns with his original motivation. And anything that isn't based on confirmed knowledge is in fact assumption to one degree or another. That's all I meant.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
My E3 video from there stutters too, any idea why it does that or if there's any way to fix it? And I noticed they still don't have the TGS trailer up there.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Yes! Exactly! Their marketing team is doing a top-notch job. From everything they've shown, it appears we'll be very happy. I think, some Unreal Engine issues aside, the only thing I've seen that gives me pause is the addition of the Guardians of Fate.
"the only thing I've seen that gives me pause is the addition of the Guardians of Fate "

As long as it's not corny or takes away from the story, I'm fine with it. Especially if they have to do with the Cetra

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Barret is a try-hard. The voice direction compliments that. I wish they'd lean into the Mr. T thing a bit more, but this is a bit more "realistic", I suppose.

Random Nobody

local roach
*shrug* He's been fine in regular battle banter scenes. That scene in particular is supposed to be ineffectively preachy, so he sounds that way.
i think there's a distinct difference between sounding preachy and sounding absurd.

i've said this before, but it's as jarring if it would be if cloud had re-appeared being voiced by someone doing a beavis and butthead impression.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
i think there's a distinct difference between sounding preachy and sounding absurd.

i've said this before, but it's as jarring if it would be if cloud had re-appeared being voiced by someone doing a beavis and butthead impression.
Hmm, I'm not sure I follow that analogy. I can see an argument that Barret's voice is over-the-top, but even then it's an over-the-top take on what Barret's voice should sound like I think. Preachy, hot-headed, etc. Cloud showing up with a Beavis and Butthead impression is him have a completely different type of voice, not a poorly executed version of what you expect.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Bentley's voice for Barret is 100% his vision, and his performance is coming from the heart. Honestly, you should hear him talk about the character -- he understands and cares about Barret, and has since the OG came out in 1997 -- it was one of the first black main characters he'd ever seen and was very influential for him.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill

Barret IS absurd at this point in the game. He rants at any given opportunity at Cloud because at this point all he sees is the SOLDIER uniform, not the dude behind it (and Cloud is no help in this). And not only does he rant, but he doesn't have a deep understanding of Planet studies, just enough to sloganize and get people who already have an axe to grind with the company to help him in his vengeance campaign. This makes him sound even worse since he's not being cogent.

And again, he does not sound absurd during regular banter. He will probably sound less absurd when he stops fronting, which only begins after Platefall.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that their characters were pretty much just caricatures of their real personalities at the beginning of the game. I've seen people on Youtube and Reddit complaining that Cloud sounds "edgy and try-hard" and Barret sounds "over-the-top," but, isn't that exactly how they are at the beginning? Cloud's in deep with his "Perfect, cool super SOLDIER" persona, which anyone familiar with the game should know, and Barret is playing up the preachy savior of the Planet shtick to cover his true, selfish, revenge-fueled motivation. I think their actors are doing a great job personally.

*edited because it's 3 AM and I can't spell

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Lots of new screenshots today! But the most important is the Tifa render!
003.jpg

(The rest are here)

Top Bottom