FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
In all fairness, unless you were super plugged in to how that game was set up and being developed, this fact could easily elude you. Square Enix hasn't been exactly communicative with this.

The only places that mention it are various interviews on gaming sites and press releases which the general audience isn't going to see, or in the description on digital stores, which frankly hardly anyone ever reads those.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Reminds me of how the Japanese Pokemon fandom only found out about the National Dex cut the day of release and went nuts on twitter over it.

Companies just sorta take advantage of their Japanese base, apparently.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I figured it would be just Midgar early on, since FFVII's content density is way too big to fit into a single game and retain any sense of good quality. I'm sure there'll be so much to do in the game that it won't feel like it's too short at all.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Remember BarrettBoy & ArmouredHamster's Final Fantasy Comics? Because Google doesn't. Fortunately I saved them all.

Also FFVII Remake delayed - ah, it wouldn't be the same without a delay. It's a pity all the trailers haven't been shown in a Square-Enix "Closed Mega Theater" instead of YouTube, and we don't have to rely on a translated description of the trailer from Famitsu. Also, what's with worldwide releases? Trailers shouldn't even have English subtitles IMO. In the old days apparently the only way to keep up with far-flung unbroadcast Formula 1 races was to read descriptions of them in the weekly motoring magazines, and it wasn't clear who had won, or why - that's what the old days of AC.net was like. Now people are ripping the entire game from a leaked demo. What a world.
I waited for XV for 10 years, downloading every trailer in the highest possible quality, then watched Kingsglaive a few months before the game's release, and didn't buy it. I still haven't. There's still a chance for FFVIIR to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.

Dude, no way, I'm BarretBoy! That's kickass that you enjoyed our silly wee comics enough to have saved them - I still talk to ArmouredHamster on the regular, I reckon he might still have the source files for 'em as well as the parody animation he did for the AC Complete trailer!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Honestly though seeing as how much they’ve bloated the Midgar section and added entire parallel plots, dialogue, monsters, and quests, it really seems like the reason they are staying in Midgar isn’t the wealth of OG content that they can’t possibly include... and more like they are saving money and time by re-using the urban assets. And they get to release at least two more full priced games after that.

I’m glad it’s being delayed. My hype balloon has farted to pretty much empty at this point and I’m going in with my expectations firmly managed.

Reactions: LNK

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, what other stuff from the OG could they have included or expanded upon that they haven't? At most the Midgar part of the game was 2 hours.

The first part was gonna be bloated and just totally extra the minute we knew they wanted to make the whole game just the Midgar portion of VII. I mean, they were honest. This is gonna be a piecemeal project with each part as its own full game and expansion.

If the content fits and is the size of a full game with enough actual content to be a full game, how is it a rip off?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Because they said they would give us an ice cream cone, and are giving us a quarter of an ice cream cone with a fruit smoothie on top. We’ll get the rest of the ice cream cone later, with a few more smoothies to boot. Each is the price of a full ice cream cone. Like, thanks? Really it comes down to whether or not I’m going to enjoy the fruit smoothie, but it’s understandable that people are upset, don’t you think?

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
It's understandable, but Midgar was heavily underused in the original FFVII. It was an amazing place to have all kind of different sidequests and missions but the OG had different plans for the story. That's why they are adding so much now. Which kinda eases me somewhat. I always tought Midgar wasnt very well utilised. Even the developers have stated similar things.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
.....But who doesn't like smoothies?

But, I get it. Ice cream is the preferred dessert. And they're spreading it out and now we gotta wait longer for it. I'm hoping it's only 3 games, to match the number of discs. Anymore and it's gonna be ridiculous.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
At most the Midgar part of the game was 2 hours.

It's more like 6-7, in fairness.

I didn't love the breaking into pieces thing back when it was announced. But everything they have shown since then has looked so incredible that I've made my peace with it. As I said before, I'm just approaching this to enjoy it for what it is. Dig into this treating it like a Midgar tech demo, exploring every nook and cranny, even if they never release another part.

To suggest that blowing up Midgar to a full size game as a method to save money is silly and needlessly cynical. They could have made the whole game for less money by simply going for less graphical fidelity. They're diving deep into the world because they want to give it a full treatment. That could turn out to be a mistake, but it's not to save money, come on.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
I think that while they could've probably done more than Midgar, they still wouldn't have been able to do the whole story. There are probably a lot of factors that led them to making Part 1 only Midgar and personally I don't really mind, especially since the game isn't even out yet.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, if I think of it as an unbiased consumer, I am very annoyed at the fact I'm having to pay for FFVII three or more times because they decided to break it up in to pieces.

...But if I look at it as an FFVII fan and see what they're doing with the installments, I like what I see and if the game is fun with an interesting story, well done characterization, dialogue, and enough content to occupy my time, I will be satisfied and able to enjoy it.

Which is what I've seen from the promotional info to even the spoilers.

The only issue I have is the wait, and if the game can come out in a timely manner (which Kitase even said they've already started on Part 2) then I won't be bothered. I only want them to get it right. No development hell ala Versus XIII, and no hollowed out amusement park set pieces ala KH3. I want them to nail the landing the first time, not have to build up to it. If it means waiting a month, then I'll wait a month.

Ideally, the FFVII Remake project should not be longer than 5 years. It should not overstay its welcome, so to speak.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Agreeing hard with @ForceStealer about this approach not being about saving money -- at least not in the "cheaping out" sense. More like, this was never going to happen any other way, unless the game was divided into sections and the sales of earlier installments could pay for the development of the later installments.

They were never going to be able to do a remake of FFVII at this level of graphical fidelity as a single release. Just straight up.

Honestly, I'm still far from convinced it will see completion with this approach either. :monster:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
But do you really think they would have started it if they didn't think they could finish it? They have to know what that would do to the fanbase.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I mean, these games are like assured financial success. As a company, they would probably rather do them than any other game wouldnt they? (by an economical standpoint ofc).

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I understand the skepticism about them finishing the whole remake project. A very generous timeline is that they finish the project by 2024, and some days it feels like we'll all be dead way before that.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
You know, it's funny. I've been in these communities for over two decades, and I've seen all kinds of posturing. All kinds of talk from people saying they'd pay "anything" "hundreds of dollars" for a Remake. All that stuff. Then, when it is finally announced, I swear some of these same people are balking at the price. Whining about splitting what amounts to a near unrivaled in scope version of something they've been clamoring for.

It certainly appears they are making something along the lines of which we'd hardly have ever dared openly wish for. It's an expanded, next-gen rendition of our most treasured videogame experience. Well, in many cases. It's crazy what they're planning on doing. But some folks will never be happy.

I mean, these games are like assured financial success.
They really aren't though. If they fail to please the die hards, they'll lose a substantial base for future installments. If they fail to please most people, it was a very expensive endeavor that was for nothing.

even if they never release another part.
And that is a possibility we have to me somewhat ready for. They are bending over backwards on this game, and it still might not be for everyone.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
This first installment would have to seriously bomb/underperform financially in order for SE to not complete. While one could say the chance of that happening isn’t a non-zero % chance, I think it’s still extremely unlikely. Like even with some of SE’s biggest infamous costly productions like FFXIV 1.0 or Versus XIII’s development hell, SE still found a way to turn those projects around. So even on the off chance this first installment could somehow not be financially profitable initially, SE could likely find a way to make it work in the end.

Top Bottom