Final Fantasy VII PC Re-Release Thread

Kain Strife

Some Kind of Animator
Throwing the guy who made this port in a fire? SE should find dedicated fans who make better stuff than this and hire them.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Did they fix the overflow glitches for this version (or for the original PC version)? I filled a Missing Score with eight mastered KoR materia, and edited Vincent's kills and they've just been taking off 9999.

I don't know much about overflow, but that is how it works?

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Scratch that, the Overflow glitch also requires one of the character's stats to be sufficiently high. Maxing out Vincent's stats made his damage overflow.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Yes. Aali's driver fixed the MDef glitch, and the PC2012 version uses a rendering engine based on Aali's driver.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Can you delete save files on this version? I know how to replace save files, but to permanently replace a save file you have to save in that slot with the new file.

You can't exactly save a deleted file.

I don't see a place to do it from the launcher, from the website, or from the game.

EDIT: Well, the new version of Black Chocobo (save editor) I think edits the metadata file that stops saves been deleted when syncing.

But if you delete the file and save it, the file will just appear as a "0000..." save file, and "Data is ruined".

Last edited:

FLo

Glósóli
AKA
Fury, Final Heaven, Kain Highwind
Is this version compatible with the Phoenix Rejuvenation Project mod? I' d really love to play the game with enhanced graphic.

Is this version compatible with the Phoenix Rejuvenation Project mod? I' d really love to play the game with enhanced graphic.

Your best chance to learn of this is probably to check out Qhimm. There's a forum about the Status of Mods and Tools with New FF7 PC

I link to page 4 because they mention the Phoenix Rejuvenation Project there, but I can't make out whether it is compatible with the PC2012 version or not.

Lex

Administrator

Or you can ask me :monster:

No, you can't. This is because it uses it's own .exe, which the new PC version doesn't support.

Even if you have the original PC version, never use the PRP. Ever. It has a custom .exe that's buggy as fuck and the game will just crash all the time. Don't listen to people telling you it's good. This will be a rare occurence, but just incase.

HOWEVER if your objective is to use mods such as custom models (like newer models instead of the lego characters) then yes, you can do that, and much much more.

You can install the models from the PRP without installing it's .exe.
This is the thread you want if you're looking for a full list of mods/ a guide on how to install everything.

Don't take all the information from the beginning of the thread, go with the newer posts by PitBrat.

FLo

Glósóli
AKA
Yes, you got the point, i would replace the legos with newer skins only, basically. :D

Lex

Administrator
I would also suggest the GUI update. Removes the black bar at the bottom of the screen in battle and the battle menu, replaces fonts, allows you to have transparent dialogue boxes etc. Basically you can see more of the screen instead of half of it being taken up by the big blue boxes in battle.

FLo

Glósóli
AKA
Unfortunately, I don' have any idea about how to get models, let alone get them inside FF7 folders. lolsad

Lex

Administrator
It's all explained in that thread I linked you to. It's Noob friendly, I assure you.

FLo

Glósóli
AKA
I' ve got all PRP models from ff8_squall, now i can' t see where im supposed to put these files. Uhm

Lex

Administrator
A note about the game types - and this is important:

PitBrat created that handy installer a while ago, and it allows you to pick and choose from the literally hundreds of great mods what you want to install, then does it all for you - most of the mods don't work with the new re-release of the game because some rely on a .exe patch and the .exe is one of the only things they updated when they re-released it. If you want to mod the game quite heavily it's a good idea to use the old PC version or use the recent patch created by them to convert the new version to the old version so it's moddable.

Here is an example of my modded PC version from when we did the community playthrough - I livestreamed this.

Some of those mods are old now, but in that video it has (from memory):

• New world map (entire world retextured - looks really good in HD)
  • Anniversary Avatars (For the Menu)
  • Updated Font
  • Battle models as field models/ remade NPC's
  • Music replacement (you can pick your own or install packs)
  • Weapon model replacements
  • Texture replacements (for spells etc)
  • Battle GUI replacement (so it's in the style of FFIX)
  • Break damage/HP/MP Limit

Also note the game is played in HD, my sucky connection just causes a reduced quality when livestreaming.

Well if you're doing it manually you have to use a command-line tool called LGP/unLGP to unpack the "char" and "world" files - this creates two folders with the same name in which you put all the files. You then have to re-pack them.

So you use unLGP to unpack and create the folder from the files "char.lgp" and "world_us.lgp", drag the files in, (make sure to copy and replace), then use LGP to repack them.

The LGP format can be considered like a .zip or .rar format - it's just a compressed folder type Square created when they made the game. VIII and IX use a similar filesystem.

The files are located in the following places (in your install directory, which is normally C:\Program Files (Or Program Files (x86) if you're using a 64 bit version of windows)\Square Enix\Final Fantasy VII.

The old PC version is the same aside from being in Squaresoft, Inc. instead of Square Enix.

So within that folder, "char.lgp" is located in data/field and "world_us.lgp" is located in data/wm. Those are the files you need to unpack, replace and repack.

Alternatively, I already have the modded files so I can upload them somewhere and send you them, but it's better to learn how to do it on your own if there are other mods you're going to install in the future.

Also, be careful about asking for help on Qhimm. I've been an active member there for 10 years and there are just some very evil, evil people (as in, elitist and not helpful). It may have changed recently, I haven't been on in a while. But generally 10 years of sheer elitism speaks for itself IMO. The questions you're asking for example are usually greeted with a "DO YOU KNOW WHAT GOOGLE IS". /rant

FLo

Glósóli
AKA
Ehr, I you just could upload these files i will be very grateful. :lol:

Char models and the gui one should do it. <3

Lex

Administrator
The GUI mod isn't a case of a simple file replacement, you need to have Aali's driver installed which means I'm not sure if you can use it with the re-release unless you install the patch to revert to the old version then install Aali's driver.

I'll upload the files for you at some point tomorrow when I get a chance, I'm afraid it's bedtime for me very soon.

Top Bottom