FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH ANNOUNCED

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
To me, it's always been Kate (Star Wars pronunciation) Sith. I mean, try referring to Vader and Palpatine as "Shee Lords" to their faces and see what happens.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Yeah can honestly say I've never felt inclined to prounounced it as 'Ket Shee' even with knowing that's how it should be said. Its one of those instances where its better to go with the whole pronounce it the way it looks.

Reddit is cracking me up though with how outraged some people are about it.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Because Japanese isn't an endangered language and "saiyan" doesn't refer to a specific mythical creature.

Personally, I don't find " because that's what people are used to" to be a good justification. If that was a good justification for anything, we'd still be backwards in a lot of ways. But that's just me.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Reading the whole "it makes more sense if they pronounce it how it's spelt" thing is really -_- for me. Never met a Sean?

It's a real folkloric creature, the character is based on and named after it. It stands to reason it should inherit the pronunciation. Sure, they could do a Mortal Kombat Raiden and have the character have their own unique name (as a non-MK player, seems weird), but Cait Sith's not different in Japanese so why should it be in a localisation?

I'm reminded of old Dynasty Warriors dubs that had no idea how to read romanised Chinese. They weren't making anything easier reading "Cao" as "Cow", they were just being embarassingly wrong.

Don't see a big push to pronounce "Saiyan" as Sai-yan rather than Say-yan, for example.
"Saiyan" isn't a real thing so it's just a curious localisation choice. It obscures the words origin, but then again many of the names in DB that have obvious origins to the Japanese probably aren't so to the English audience. Perhaps more importantly, it's already long and well established in the localisation.

If Cait Sith had been voice acted incorrectly for the 26 years, a few people might have saw Remake as an opportunity to change it but people couldn't be mad. But these are localisers in 2023 given the first real opportunity to establish the character's name (besides a barely remembered half mention in Dirge) and they just... decide to be wrong.

I don't even pronounce Cait Sith's name correctly and will continue not to do so, I just think it's really dumb to choose to borrow a foreign origin word but pronounce it how it's spelt.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Because people are used to saying it that way regardless of if it's correct or not.

Don't see a big push to pronounce "Saiyan" as Sai-yan rather than Say-yan, for example.
I'm accustomed to pronouncing it as "Kate (insert the opposite of Jedi here)".

Or how about Kate Lord of the Sith?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Definitely a miss by the localization team for me, was hoping they'd correct it from Dirge. I don't know why saying something correctly is such a big ask.

I agree. If something is pronounced a certain way by the one who has ownership of it, it's up to others to pronounce it the correct way. Especially if they are fully capable of doing so. It's not very difficult.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
"Saiyan" isn't a real thing so it's just a curious localisation choice. It obscures the words origin, but then again many of the names in DB that have obvious origins to the Japanese probably aren't so to the English audience. Perhaps more importantly, it's already long and well established in the localisation.
It's just the Japanese word for vegetable with the syllables reversed

Yasai -> Saiya

And you could say "Kate Sihth" has been the more common pronunciation in the English community for pretty much just as long (because most people don't know better), if not in an official capacity until now.

Because Japanese isn't an endangered language and "saiyan" doesn't refer to a specific mythical creature.

Personally, I don't find " because that's what people are used to" to be a good justification. If that was a good justification for anything, we'd still be backwards in a lot of ways. But that's just me.
I'm not saying it's a good thing (it's not), I'm just saying that's why they did it.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Really wasn't expecting any more significant marketing until December but here we are. I'll be genuinely surprised if they don't give Vincent a proper reveal here.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I should shut up about it, but... The reason Aeris -> Aerith doesn't get a rise out of me is because SE owns the character. If they wanted to name her "SLAM DUNK" so that when Sephiroth kills her from above, Cloud screams "SLAM DUNK!", that's their prerogative.

However, beyond what I stated before (Gaelic being endangered), SE is borrowing both the name and design of the mythical Cait Sith, and giving him a Scottish accent to boot. So it's kinda weird to not honor the original pronunciation and lowkey xenophobic of some fans to celebrate the news. Just another sad cliff note in the long history of English pushing out and erasing other cultures.

Alright, stepping off the podium.

Top Bottom