FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Demo Out Now!

Fangu

Great Old One
The other complaint is what they did with the bomb, by having the explosion magnified with Shinra's intervention. It feels like they put that in to make it more clear "Protagonists good. Shinra bad." One underrated aspect of what makes FFVII so good is that Avalanche killed a lot of people because they believed they were fighting for the greater good. It makes the morality of the protagonists, at least in the beginning, feel more morally grey. Which I strongly prefer. This change was a blatant attempt to push perception in the opposite direction...and I can't say I care for that.
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention*. I'm not saying it's another 'Han shot first' but it definitely feels like some sort of retcon and I don't like that at all. Someone somewhere probably got scared, even for it being easy to defend ("it's an old game, we're just copying a story that's been out for years")

It doesn't make the villains 'better' villains. It just makes the protagonists less interesting. imo.

* I just found the other thread, nevermind :monster: That's a better place for this discussion.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Well everything new about the game story-wise can be seen as a retcon, like Roche or the ghosts... in the end the remake is establishing a new canon, which has the original and compilation as a base.

In the original, Jesse mentions she might have miscalculated the bomb's explosion range or something, without showing remorse though. They were all ok with what happened apparently.

Might work with cartoonish depictions (in the original the damage done to the surrounding area wasnt even evident) , not so much when you can see realistic NPCs desperate and suffering because of that.

I wouldnt like to play with a group that says it wants to protect the planet while being inconsiderate with regular human lives.

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
Don't know if anyone mentioned these yet, but I found out two little tricks from random vids. When barret's overcharge is charging, you can do a charge directly after a full normal square attack. It seems to combine the two animations as he is already pumping his gun towards the ground like a charge after a full square attack anyway.

Can also hold L1 while using potions to use the same item over and over again without having to select it. Just a little tidbit for anyone who wasn't aware.

Edit: ^ That is out of combat for the item trick, not in combat.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i did it

i finally played the demo after all these years/how many days has it been since the demo dropped because it feels like i've had it sitting around for ages. and it only took staying up until 4am to do it

i thought the editing on the cutscene was a bit choppy at the end, the scene seems to jump too far ahead and doesn't follow on well from the previous action, but i think that's probably just the video they cut for demo to tease the rest of the game? since it starts showing a bunch of other scenes. i guess it threw me off a bit because i thought the demo went on for a bit longer (getting to walk around the streets of midgar at least)

anyway i found the boss pretty tricky on normal and might try it again but on easy/classic to see if it's more to my crappy skill level (i want to try classic just to see what it's like anyway even though it sounds like the rpg/command menu option from the psp dissidia and i wasn't too fond of that). i do like how you can change the difficulty from the in-game options menu because if this was any indication i might need to

i thought wow they are showering me in potions here then fighting the guard scorpion i was like, oh god i hope i don't run out. i actually had to use a phoenix down on cloud

also from the trailers i thought they were maybe going to make barret all gritty and serious with his wearing shades at night and stern sounding dialogue but he actually made me laugh in the demo

also everything looks pretty, character models are nice, some nice lighting, i like the mako pool that looks cool

also, did they make barret into a daddy bear. now he's all hairy and buff and literally has a kid. and i never really thought about how he would climb ladders with one hand until watching a more realistically proportioned version climbing one before my eyes

also this is a super minor thing but i booted it up in english at first before going to change it to japanese because that's how i want to play it first, and the text at the top of the title screen that says 'Purchase' becomes 'BUY NOW' in all caps and i don't know why you're shouting at me, i'm going to buy the game

also i am realising i use 'also' way too much if i have another thought while writing jfc

ForceStealer

Double Growth
i thought the editing on the cutscene was a bit choppy at the end, the scene seems to jump too far ahead and doesn't follow on well from the previous action, but i think that's probably just the video they cut for demo to tease the rest of the game? since it starts showing a bunch of other scenes.

Yeah it definitely just transitions to a bunch of teases from the next segment. Particularly by mimicking scenes from the 2015 PSX trailer

Lex

Administrator
i thought the editing on the cutscene was a bit choppy at the end, the scene seems to jump too far ahead and doesn't follow on well from the previous action, but i think that's probably just the video they cut for demo to tease the rest of the game? since it starts showing a bunch of other scenes. i guess it threw me off a bit because i thought the demo went on for a bit longer (getting to walk around the streets of midgar at least)

I thought this too - I think it's meant to be an homage to the trailers, particularly the 2015 Playstation Experience trailer - they show all the same scenes in the new version (and comparing them, the old one actually looks kinda shitty lol).

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Playing the demo--and watching the preview coverage--actually allayed one of my primary fears about combat: magic. I was worried that magic would seem superfluous for most characters; why use ATB and MP when you can just use an ability to get the same effect? I was expecting the stagger build of a move like Focused Thrust to be the same as using magic and hitting a weakness. Luckily, pressure makes magic super important.

The whole pressure mechanic is awesome. It's one of the more interesting takes on elemental weaknesses in JRPGs that I can think of at the moment. In old FFs, hitting a weakness gave you bonus damage--which is pretty simple. In SMT, hitting a weakness gave you extra turns--which limited your approach to just using the same attacks again and again. But pressure turns elemental magic into a key that opens a door. It's more than just bonus damage, but it's not the only part of your strategy. I love it, even if I can't articulate it well.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
This really isn't the thread for it, but my Multiple Sclerosis is making it hard to play. I have the dexterity - or, it's developing - but the fatigue and lack of ability to concentrate really is killing the experience.

Still, I played the demo through once, on Classic mode. I'll have to get used to the battle system, but other than that everything's beautiful.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Playthrough no. 8 :wacky:
Gave Classic Mode a go. I'll definitely stick with Normal (and still think calling this 'Classic' is a bit silly. It feels more like FFXII or Xenoblade Chronicles or something).

Also used the option to restart the boss battle so I could fight him a few times in a row. This was the first time I saw these loading screens:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE DEMO_20200308143756.png

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE DEMO_20200308144140.png

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE DEMO_20200308144145.png

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE DEMO_20200308144647.png

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE DEMO_20200308144654.png

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Playthrough no. 8 :wacky:
Gave Classic Mode a go. I'll definitely stick with Normal (and still think calling this 'Classic' is a bit silly. It feels more like FFXII or Xenoblade Chronicles or something).

Also used the option to restart the boss battle so I could fight him a few times in a row. This was the first time I saw these loading screens:

View attachment 4974

View attachment 4975

View attachment 4976

View attachment 4977

View attachment 4978
That second screen has me curious on what other factions of Avalanche there are around the world. Will we eventually run into some of them....

Top Bottom