AKA
Trainer Red
That's it. That's the best version of this meme ever no one else can top it

everybody can go home internet is over

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
Article analyzing the battle system for those interested in gameplay mechanics: right here.

I'm a bit :( over the FF12 system presumably rearing its ugly head again...

Lex

Administrator
1. The FF12 system was fabulous, no u
2. This looks very different aside from possible gambits
3. gambits are fab and add a strategic element that isn't just holding down "attack"

<3

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
Hmmm. FF12 was basically just pre-programming commands and walking away from the screen for me, esp. in the later stages of the game. (Earlier stages were more like ... hit X, run around waiting for ATB gauge to fill, run closer to attack, back off and repeat until enemy is dead). I'd take Pokemon's turn-based system any day of the week, tbh.

FF15's looks a tad bit more interactive though, and seems almost like an odd mash of CC/KH's system and FF12's.

Bah, I don't even know why I complain. As long as it doesn't get in the way of my playing the game, I'll tolerate almost anything.

Lex

Administrator
There are only like 2 or 3 places in the game where you can actually do what you're describing, and there's only one that I know of that you can leave it for indefinitely.

Don't get my wrong, I understand why people didn't like the system, but I just think a lot of people didn't appreciate that it's actually a lot more strategic than previous FF games and the choice for manual input is still there. A lot of people just assume it's a way to auto battle when in reality they require adjusting for certain situations and need real assessment of the situation. It's not like say VII or VIII where you can literally just hold in the action button and win in every battle.

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
Okay, I was exaggerating: FF12 for me was pre-programming commands, then having to stay at the screen to wiggle the characters around -- which actually felt worse than being allowed to walk away occasionally. (Yes, for whatever reason, I did find that to be much more grating on me than a Pokemon-style-set-up where all I can press is a button.)

I like strategy, and I like manual input, and I like it when both are involved in a game -- my main game for a decade was Warcraft III -- but I really don't think FF12 was all that. Maybe I was overleveled, but I basically used a one-size-fits-all for my "strategy," and my manual input seemed to be reduced to "run around and occasionally cast healing magic." I found FFX more taxing on my mind than FF12 ever was, if only for the Yunalesca battle.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Did XII allow you to dodge by staying back? I can't really remember. Seemed like it did what XIV does: if you can stay out of the red AoE fields, you can dodge big attacks. But for normal attacks, it doesn't matter if you're in front, behind, or beside them, you will be hit.

I think we've come far enough in RPGS where we have the big staples:

-RPGs are now real-time,
-they allow input for AI (Tales games have always done it, and XII developers did indeed give players the entire programming table with gambits.)

And I think if they really take back what Square had going for Mario RPG, i.e., Timed Attacks (and naturally from there, Chaining), that would alleviate people's fears about the one-button presses for attacking and dodging. The Mario&Luigi games really punished you if you didn't have the timing down.

That's why I never really understood why Squall was the only one in FFVIII who had any timed attack mechanic. For just one ability even.

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
Now that I think about it, FF12's battle system is kind of similar to SoM's, but I find SoM's more satisfying for whatever reason ... I guess there's something to be said for hitting a button that is connected directly to swinging a sword, as opposed to hitting a button that's connected to a command that tells the character to swing a sword.

Hell, maybe I just liked to mow the damn grass.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
so they put the trailer on the japanese psn store, and in the description it mentioned changing party members in battle. tabata apparently said something to the effect of you only controlling noctis, which people were upset about, so either they're changing that or it was a misunderstanding?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
See... you've got this scale between people who like making timed attacks and people who like making the computer do attacks. Make it all one or the other and half of your intended audience is going to say the battle system sucks.

On the system itself...
Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing the Dragon Age parallels in this battle system... although it's way more flexible then that system!

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Way I see it, Final Fantasy was going to hit a wall and run out of ideas for the battle system eventually.

The only thing I really wish they'd do with the system is complete manual control over Summons (and no time limits this time... I hated that in FFXII, I don't mind running out of Mana/MP or whatever but let me have my pet creature of destruction following me around all day please, Squeenix).

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i'm not sure what exactly was the problem with switching characters

i mean, it was being developed by the kh team so i kind of thought it was going to be one player character anyway

but still

you know what had switchable characters

type-0

on the psp

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I am going to be severely and sorely disappointed if I don't get my fal'Cie in this game.

I'm going to be severely and sorely disappointed, aren't I?

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I guess if they make fal'Cie a Final Fantasy staple like the Chocobos :monster:

Every Final Fantasy should come with ornate demon-faced bookends.

Top Bottom