Final Fantasy XV (was Versus XIII)

Lex

Administrator
OK I'm at the halfway point. You're totally right Tets, this is by far the best one they've done. They're on the slide about the mythology of the game and I actually got a shiver of excitement hearing about how Eidolons had a hand in the creation of the world. HUZZAH I'M EXCITED AGAIN.

This game is a fucking roller coaster of emotions already.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THEY'VE BASTARDISED THE CAR.

Oh well, I'll always have correct side driving in Episode Duscae.

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Special event in March where the exact date will be announced

So if they're waiting until March of next year to announce the release date, I'm guessing it won't be out until late 2016? ooh, just in time for Christmas... :D

Lex

Administrator
Yeah they spent quite a bit of time talking about how the different regions in the game drive differently or something to that effect, and in the end they decided it would be better to have it one way rather than switching. I mean I don't mind tbh, I've been dealing with it the wrong way in every game I've ever played but just this once it would have been nice. Especially considering Japan is the same as us in the UK. We were so close. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
They posted a survey for the ATR: http://t.co/bWlC6ag99D

Screenshots:

55E4523F4E1BB30010

55E452414E144C0019

ForceStealer

Double Growth

How come the US always gets taken to task for using a measuring system that only a couple countries use but the UK still gets to be elitist about their right-hand drive? :monster:

And yes, this game is gorgeous, that footage of them fighting the Malboro from the other week was amazing looking. It moved like the Malboro in that amazing prerendered early FFXIV trailer.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Lol at the right-side of the road thing. Which is funny because I finally got used to driving virtual cars on the left side of the road...

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Lol at the right-side of the road thing. Which is funny because I finally got used to driving virtual cars on the left side of the road...
Sleeping Dogs?

Btw I've been impressed by the quality of the visuals from the Driving video. I'm really looking forward to this game, but I'm torn: should I go on a media blackout from now (I'm sure I'm going to buy it - Episode Duscae convinced me), or should I participate in the forums and give feedback to the devs?

Lex

Administrator

How come the US always gets taken to task for using a measuring system that only a couple countries use but the UK still gets to be elitist about their right-hand drive? :monster:

Because your measurement system is derived and refined from a nearly two hundred year old system invented by England and even they switched to the metric system (in some aspects, but Britain's cars still have miles in large numbers rather than kilometres and all our road signs are in miles/mph). I can forgive your country the pounds and the ounces and the feet and the inches and all that old nonsense, but not the fucking farenheit. Fuck farenheit, I can't deal with that.

What side of the road a country drives on is completely different, because it's not like one is dated and the other is new. They're just different. There have been a few studies that suggest driving on the left is safer overall because people tend to be right hand and right-eye dominant, but I actually fall into none of those categories so if that's true I'd be safer on the right :P. I know that road safety is better (when talking about deaths per country per 100k people) overall with left hand side countries, but it's only marginal. A lot of countries in Europe used to drive on the left but made the switch because of land border reasons (too many countries to pass through in mainland Europe XD).

tl;dr, driving on the right hand side of the road is the work of satan and since driving on the left is one of very few things the UK shares with Japan, I was really hoping the American influence wouldn't creep in in this one tiny aspect this one tiny time. Just once. I mean yeah sure sleeping dogs or whatever woohoo, but it ALMOST happened in a FF game.

to have loved and lost

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Off-topic, but I've always wondered why America has such a different measuring system myself. But I'm used to it, so.... :closedmonster:

697703e29eced4e8fd67d442554b578b.jpg

ForceStealer

Double Growth
tl;dr, driving on the right hand side of the road is the work of satan and since driving on the left is one of very few things the UK shares with Japan, I was really hoping the American influence wouldn't creep in in this one tiny aspect this one tiny time. Just once. I mean yeah sure sleeping dogs or whatever woohoo, but it ALMOST happened in a FF game.

I dunno if I'd blame that on America though, rather than a most-of-the-world influence :monster:

I can forgive your country the pounds and the ounces and the feet and the inches and all that old nonsense, but not the fucking farenheit. Fuck farenheit, I can't deal with that.

I still maintain that Fahrenheit is useful for weather. You get whole blocks of degrees that describe a climate (50s, 60s, 70s, etc.) that are all crammed in a third the spread you have in celcius.
FahrenheitVsCelsiusVsKelvin-67227.jpg
:lol:

Wildly off topic now though, I apologize. On topic - this world is freakin huge. How much of it do you think is explorable?

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Off-topic, but I've always wondered why America has such a different measuring system myself. But I'm used to it, so....
Initially (ages ago), most measuring systems were resembling what is nowadays in use in America. However, they tended to be actual inches and feet of the people measuring them, much like how you'd take measurements if you don't have a ruler at hand. Obviously this caused issues because your foot is not as big as the neighbors, not to mention that such systems are not based on base 10.
The development of base-10 units and standardization came with the development of scientific methods. Some units were developed from the reference of repeatable phenomena (for instance, Celsius units are derived from the freezing point and boiling point of water), others were developed from dimensional analysis (for example, energy is analogous to mass*surface/time-squared, so a joule = 1 kg x 1 m^2 / s^2). For the sake of standardization and scientific methods, the metric system (then SI) is way more adapted, so pretty much everyone adopted it.
I don't see the USA changing in the near future because everything is produced with imperial units - such change would cost way too much money to adapt the production tools.
Likewise, one may argue that we do not have a 10-based system for time (even though the second is the reference unit).

Ghost X

Also, that trailer still has too much father/son loving :P. What percentage of the fanbase actually enjoys that / makes them hyped about the game?

Lex

Administrator
The FF facebook posted this, which I'm reposting because it at least gives a little bit of story:

12027591_1059698604064898_1560037400219531944_n.jpg

With a mere wave of her hand, Lady Lunafreya of Tenebrae brushes aside the imperial soldiers surrounding her. She accepts her trident from her attendant, and sets off to commune with the gods. As the Oracle, she enjoys the adoration of supporters the world over. What sort of monster could point a gun at such a divine creature?

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
^I really love that painting, it's beautiful. Like I want that on my wall. <3 Also love the description.

And I love those two screenshots of them fishing an riding chocobos. Ah, makes my day to see that, I want to play the game! Those chocobos seem a good mix between realistic and cute. I'd love to see different chocobo breeds and colors in this game.

Ghost, I actually like the father/son loving going on. :awesome: It's nice to see strong parent/child relationships in a FF game. Last one that had that was X, I think (last and only??)

Top Bottom