Final Fantasy XVI

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah I see the point, but XV was such a sausage fest you’d think they’d have backpedaled at least a little lol.

I mean if “Joshua’s Shield” were a milquetoast generic brunette woman, same dialogue, outfit, and attitude, my interest in the game would probably be doubled.
Yeah I'm not saying this game shouldn't have had a female main character, I'm just saying "Final Fantasy never has girls" is pretty disingenuous.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
I think I'd prefer a main female lead that wasn't just a genderbent cloud *lookinatchulightning*
Like just a cool ass female lead saving all the men in the world from mortal doom while wearing armour that isn't just a bikini.

Fangu

Great Old One
I only watched this once.
  • War Chocobos. This reminds me of FFXII. Cool.
  • A bit more colours in this than XV, but still not nearly enough. Sadface.
  • It's odd seeing 'modern gen FF' in medieval times, because... now it just kind of looks like The Witcher/ Dragon Age? idk. Needs more magic or something. 'The Blight' you say. Where have I heard that before...
  • Okay here's magic, and it's.... still missing colour.
  • Blood on a kid! Cool!
  • ...he turns into Ifrit? That's not.... well okay
  • And here's Arane... excuse me, token female character. Oh well. I wasn't expecting an Ashe but still.
idk, I'm not... not excited? This is only first taste, after all. The world looks pretty good. Just add more colours and women kthx

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Kazutoyo Maehiro was the Main Scenario Writer for A Realm Reborn and Hevensward. And the Scenario Director for Stormblood and Shadowbrings. And the Event Planter for Tacitcs and FFXIV. And the Main Battle System Director for... all versions of FFXII.

Okay, cool, scenario is probably going to be really good then!

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
idk if i've just not looked at enough next gen game videos (i have only watched the ffxvi trailer so far) but it had the feel of an early game in a console's life. if that makes sense. what am i even talking about.

also, can i just say that i kind of hate that tattoo thing the protag has on his face in the older sections lol. i don't think it looks good and am not liking it

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
For all the complaints of being bland, I think three points stand out as being special for this entry.

- Phoenix having a prominent role when it always had a B-tier treatment on the franchise.
- Summons affinity affecting physical attacks / changing style of combos
- older protagonist!

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
What does Cloud have in common with Lightning? Like, at all? She has surviving family, no love interest, no personal history with any of the villains, no experiments that gave her superpowers and broke her brain...

Guys, in sixteen games, they have had an all male cast once. Once. How do y'all expect anything to change if you automatically dismiss every female lead as a token or gender swap, on foot of one very vague trailer?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
giphy.gif

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, she's only a genderbent Cloud if you like, put her in a SOLDIER costume with a Buster Sword. And even if she is... Well, she still does everything else.. :monster:

I mean. She ain't the first character afflicted with same-face syndrome. Not will she be the last. Looking at you, Not!Noctis here in FF XVI, lol

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Watched this last night, live, slept on it and watched it again today. A few things I noticed:
  • The first impression was that I was watching something out of Ivalice. I was so convinced that they would be trolling us that, when I watched the two kids, I thought it was just a remake/remaster of Crystal Defenders or any other thing (never played CDD, so idk, lol).
  • So medieval style, fuck yeah!!!!!!! But it reminds me more strongly of what I've seen of FFXIV (can't play online, so idk), especially the music.
  • Blood. That's good.
  • At first I thought it were two separate dudes: Josh's Shield and the Face Tattoo guy. I stand corrected. Or not :monster:
  • Evil woman with cigarrette has me intrigued.
  • People losing control over emotions and making Eilodons appear, hmmmm... now, where did I see this before I wonder?
  • Fun combat. Me likes.

Now, dont' get me wrong, the first time I watched the trailer I was a bit underwhelmed and I still don't know why. Decided against joining the hype fest here and instead sleep over it. Now I see why, despite feeling giddy about it, it still felt not enough:

• Josh's Shield's design looks bland and a bit generic: I blame this on the preliminal designs. I remembered that with XV, some characters underwent a redesign for the finished piece (Gladiolus and Prompto).
  • Graphics: Then I had to remind myself of the disclaimer: This is a PC version emulating the PS5. Seems like the underestimated a tiny bit the PS5 capability, maybe? :monster:
  • Very few snipets of the story: Then I kicked myself for wanting everything shown in a reveal trailer.

All in all, I'm excited and curious about htis new world and magic system.

My two cents about the protagonist and the plot: He's hell bent on killing Josh' possessed body and the upbeat design we see it's just the prologue before a time skip on which he's already a rough and tough adventurer (going from Noctis to Gladio, not bad), until he discovers that there's a bigger power at play and the baddie is someone/something completely different. You know, red-herring and bait and switch. I love a story like that.

Of course, the trailer's line could refer to a completely different character that it's yet to be unveiled. You never know.

About the lack of a party, please people, be patient. We got a game reveal, which is far more than I was expecting :awesome:

@genders: I was perfectly happy with an all-male cast for FFXV, and I love all the female protagonists FF has over the years. You have to understand that some stories call for an all-male or an all-female cast, and that XV was one of them. I don't really care about whether if the MC is male or female, as long as they are relatable and well-written, and I don't care about quotas. In fact, I hate them with a passion. Yes, videogames often have a lack of relatable, well-written female characters, but I won't be among those who throw any kind of media under the bus because the creators didn't feel the need to fill up a bucket list (not saying that any of you are doing it, but you know what I mean *glares at Twitter*).

Top Bottom