• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy XVI

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I doubt this will suffer FFXV's development hell. One of the things Yoshida was very critical of when he took over FFXIV was SE's dev pipeline and their tendancy of showing things off before they were ready. The FFXIV community has known Yoshida had been the producer of some unknown project for quite a while now, so I bet that this is on track to being done sooner rather than later. If we're getting trailers for it now and no FF7R Pt 2 info, than I bet this will be coming out before Part 2.

Comments from Yoshida and Takai

Naoki Yoshida said:
FINAL FANTASY XVI producer (that’s right, just producer) Naoki Yoshida here. How did you enjoy the trailer? The exclusive footage, comprised of both battles and cutscenes running in real-time, represents but a fraction of what our team has accomplished since the start of development on this, an all-new FINAL FANTASY game. In that span, the team’s size has grown from a handful of core members to a full-fledged unit that continues to polish and build upon what they have created so far, all to provide players an experience unmatched in terms of story and gameplay.

Our next big information reveal is scheduled for 2021, so in the meantime, I expect everyone to have fun speculating, as we have a lot in store—not only for FINAL FANTASY XVI, but for FINAL FANTASY XIV, too. Needless to say, I’ll be working hard on both!
[B said:
Hiroshi Takai[/B] ]When FINAL FANTASY I was released, I was just another player─a young student with big dreams. By the time FINAL FANTASY V was in the works, I had earned myself a seat at the developers’ table… albeit at the very end. From there, I moved “online” leaving my mark on both FINAL FANTASY XI and XIV.

And now…XVI.

From the establishment of an all new development environment, to learning the ins-and-outs of the PS5, the team and I have taken on countless challenges during our journey to bring you the sixteenth chapter in the storied FINAL FANTASY franchise. And though we’re pouring our hearts and souls into this project each and every day, it may still be some time before we can get it into your hands. However, I promise it will be worth the wait!
OMG!!!! Ryota Suzuki is working on it... yeah, combat will at least look good. And probably not be the same as FFXV and FF7R.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart

HA I knew combat looked too good to be a coincidence

My god this game has potential
Woah, now THAT is some good news.

I doubt this will suffer FFXV's development hell. One of the things Yoshida was very critical of when he took over FFXIV was SE's dev pipeline and their tendancy of showing things off before they were ready. The FFXIV community has known Yoshida had been the producer of some unknown project for quite a while now, so I bet that this is on track to being done sooner rather than later. If we're getting trailers for it now and no FF7R Pt 2 info, than I bet this will be coming out before Part 2.

Comments from Yoshida and Takai

OMG!!!! Ryota Suzuki is working on it... yeah, combat will at least look good. And probably not be the same as FFXV and FF7R.
I'm also tempted to agree that this won't have the same development hell. It very much seems like the games industry has shifted more towards showing things more when they're in a ready state. It's possible we're gonna get this before Remake Part 2, definitely.

I've rewatched the trailer more than a few times now and have realized some of my original impressions were misconceptions. Now that those have been cleared up, the game's looking more intriguing...I wonder how varied the environments will be. We saw a hint of different areas (mostly at night it seemed, but there were some pretty daytime shots too)
Still wish there was more of a gender balance in the cast, but there's plenty that we've yet to see - like the circumstances surrounding Shiva and such.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
We got so many FF titles that call them Eidolons now, even a few where they've been switched to Eidolons retroactively. They aren't even consistently called Eikons in FFXIV, can't really call it over used yet.

No it’s just Eikon is a weird pun on the word Icon and it makes me rolleyes. Somehow I haven’t heard it before this trailer. In 14 they only said Primals.

I notice that the chocobos have forward-facing eyes in this title, which means that in this setting chocobos are predators.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Woah, now THAT is some good news.

I'm also tempted to agree that this won't have the same development hell. It very much seems like the games industry has shifted more towards showing things more when they're in a ready state. It's possible we're gonna get this before Remake Part 2, definitely.

I've rewatched the trailer more than a few times now and have realized some of my original impressions were misconceptions. Now that those have been cleared up, the game's looking more intriguing...I wonder how varied the environments will be. We saw a hint of different areas (mostly at night it seemed, but there were some pretty daytime shots too)
Still wish there was more of a gender balance in the cast, but there's plenty that we've yet to see - like the circumstances surrounding Shiva and such.

And thank god for that (showing trailers when the games are close to ready). Even FFVIIR was guilty of that.

I just rewatched it myself and I'm feeling a little bit better about the game too. I guess I'm still too hung up by how I feel about RE8 right now and it dragged over to this knowing that trailer was gonna show up too lol. There is still a lot left to be seen, so I'm keeping my hopes up about this one. It seems intriguing!

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
No it’s just Eikon is a weird pun on the word Icon and it makes me rolleyes. Somehow I haven’t heard it before this trailer. In 14 they only said Primals.

I notice that the chocobos have forward-facing eyes in this title, which means that in this setting chocobos are predators.
Eikon is also used in FFXIV, it’s what non-Eorzeans call Primals.

And the word Eikon is less a pun, and more literally the Greek route for the English word Icon.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/icon

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
And thank god for that (showing trailers when the games are close to ready). Even FFVIIR was guilty of that.

I just rewatched it myself and I'm feeling a little bit better about the game too. I guess I'm still too hung up by how I feel about RE8 right now and it dragged over to this knowing that trailer was gonna show up too lol. There is still a lot left to be seen, so I'm keeping my hopes up about this one. It seems intriguing!
Exactly, Saven. I think we're in the exact same boat here. I'd be curious to keep up with your thoughts as we all find out more about the game.

On a totally different note, FFXVI did this to my notifications:
1600292348568.png
I'm sure it's similar for some of you as well.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I think it is. At the start of the trailer, we see him older and with a mark/brand on his face. Later, when he and Joshua are younger, we see him without the brand/mark. And the last two shots of the trailer are the same character when he's younger and then when he's older. So cue crazy backstory intertwined with the antagonist that started out okay before something went very, very wrong.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Not sure exactly what I make of it from that. The setting seems a touch generic and greige, but I am confident that FF will involve varied locales, I'll look forward to seeing some. I echo people's sentiment that there had better be a party. The relatively generic main character does have me wondering if there will be some kind of character creation - even if basic since the character will have to age-up.

It's impossible for my interest not to be piqued at the concept of a new Final Fantasy, but I look forward to seeing more.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Now I have to wonder what the full event was that radicalized Joshua. Does anyone else get a Nibelheim-style of weight from that potential?

Having the antagonist be younger then you are is twist on the dynamic tho.
This is also very interesting, yeah. I’m curious to see what he looks like in full antagonist form. That dynamic is a good way to shake things up.

It always rains likes when big news comes around. People are excited, even if only cautiously so. You can feel the enthusiasm!
At this point, I’m just seeing how high I can get that number to go...the enthusiasm is contagious.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
So I assume you'll be able to take on the Eikon's properties or something? The main guy seems to fight with Phoenix fire powers and then later with punches people with Titan fists. That's some straight up DMC Devil Arms stuff, lol
End-game unlocks Bahamut wings and you can mega-flare with your hand confirmed

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
From the looks of the battle system, it has the same vibes as DMC game and now I see why it was, lolol.

Also, I think this FF has the potential to be a lot more violent than previous FFs, or at least a whole lot more bloody, given that I think this is the first time we've seen this much blood being spilled in a FF trailer...or any blood at all in a trailer.

Also also, the chocobos...look a lot scarier with their eyes like that. not sure if I like, I prefer them to be cute.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Type-0 says hello
Correction, main title Final Fantasy. :monster:

But real talk, the violence in XVI feels more violent than it did in Type-0 for some reason. Someone who's smarter than me and better with words, please explain why that is, plz.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Given who the battle system director is... it's a lot more full contact than we're used to seeing from FF. So not having more blood to match would feel weird. There's definetly a "weight" to the look and feel of the game that hasn't been there in previous FF titles. It also feels too prevalent for it to be something gotten rid of easily.

We see a lot of... flesh and blood monsters that are fighting as opposed to magitek or mechanical enemies too. They went hard-core medieval fantasy it looks like, so everything looks like it's more fleshy than the last few mainline FF game were which were a lot more modern/sci-fi. Think less machinary breaking apart vs actual bodies doing that and you'd expect more blood from that at least... if not other stuff.

Top Bottom