Final Fantasy XVI

oh no is there a problem with the cc remaster. i wanted that since i never got to play the original

From what I understand, you can't really play the whole game through with friends easily like you could (locally) in the original. Like, there's no multiplayer in the home town and only the host gets rewards/progress from beating a dungeon (edit: I think the others do get rewards, but as ForceStealer says below, not being able to progress together destroys the appeal of the multiplayer unless you only want runs with randoms), so everyone has to do it in their own file to progress (and you have to regroup for each run). And they got rid of local multiplayer. I'm not sure if they patched it, but at launch I think there was also wacky stuff like multiplayer being region locked and the game having its own friend code system. Can't speak to how they handled multiplayer gameplay (without the GBA and such), since the aforementioned stuff was such a turn off for me I never really looked into it.

Single player is probably fine, but that was never really the game's main draw. It just seems like they either misunderstood the appeal of the multiplayer or could not adapt it properly it for online. They probably would've been better off making a whole new entry than trying to modernize the GCN game. Everyone needing to progress in their own game is fine for Souls, since those games aren't really meant to be something you play through entirely in co-op, but, IMO, CC was more like a cozy adventure you can play through together.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
oh no is there a problem with the cc remaster. i wanted that since i never got to play the original

Yes, they somehow remastered it by getting rid of the entire appeal. On most internet comments you'll see people saying they ruined it by not having couch co-op. That'd be cool and all but I understand that that could be pretty difficult without everyone having their own screens with GBAs. But to play over the internet seemed like the perfect solution to this since obviously everyone has their own screen which is why I was excited. However, you can't all be part of the same village and caravan. So you can only play single player with guests appearing in dungeons. If you and three friends wanted to actually play through the game, you have to play each dungeon 4 times while you each rotate who's the host, and only that host getting "credit" for it each time. And even then you still lose the appeal of everyone improving the same village with their work.

Completely baffling to me, how did they expect that anyone would have wanted to play it that way? It seems like the obvious setup would be for just one player to save the file locally and everyone connects to them. That works completely fine for something like Baldur's Gate or Civilization, but I guess those examples have only been around for 30 years. >_>

Last edited:

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
So much for this getting more info in early 2021. Or first half of 2021. Now it's a question of whether we here more about this in 2021 at all.

Sony is still mum about the next state of play, and you KNOW they told Square to hold it for their conference, whenever it is.

Reactions: Wol

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Final Fantasy | || || |_

7dc.jpg

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Not even at TGS? Well you can convince people to buy by showing the game is alive you know...

Edit

☆オードリーAudrey☆ (@aitaikimochi) Tweeted:
The devs are joking around with Yoshi-P, and it's not DEFINITE that FF16 will not be shown at TGS. The MC are saying "Well if you're not gonna show it at TGS, THEN I WILL SHOW IT INSTEAD!" lol
Why are we here, just to suffer

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
You know, if they wanted to show something at TGS but weren't gonna make the deadline due to Yoshi-P's standards of wanting to give a release date....it lends me to believe they are shooting for Holiday 2022 or Spring 2023.
Holiday 2022 seems most likely to me, both because of the shopping period being high because of the holidays and because I think SE probably wouldn’t want FFXVI to have more than a 6 year gap between it and FFXV (which came out in 2016).

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I very much look forward to a robust rivalry between CBU1 and CBU3 (and I hope they get better names than that eventually....) that can force innovation and creativity and get away from certain tropes....

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Not officially, but from the trailer it sounds like it'll be Masayoshi Soken.

I'm actually gonna revise my statement. I recently took a close look at all the XIV soundtracks and who contributed and arranged which track and it seems most of the epic orchestral arrangement work I thought was Soken was more often than not done by Yoshitaka Suzuki, like almost all of the final boss tracks for the various expansions or the Heavensward and Stormblood trailer music.
So now I'd put my money on Suzuki being the one who did the trailer music although I still think Soken's gonna be the main composer just because it's CBU3 :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
It is worth pointing out that Soken is still the one coming up with all the music that is being arranged that way. And some music styles and motifs take much better to being orchestrally arranged in that style than others. One of the hallmarks of Soken's music is that it can go from having epic orchestral arrangements to very simple ones and still work excellently with both.

Mortal Instants (Ammarot Theme), the Heavensward Theme, Maker's Ruin... that those themes can make for anything from epic boss fights to emotional cutscene moments with the same melody just based on the style of the arrangement is really impressive.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I can't see Soken working on both games without, well... dying. So my bet it's another, with him composing the main theme at least (the one in the trailer).

Top Bottom