Final Fantasy XVI

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Copypaste from resetera:

From the Sakaguchi/Yoshida talk at Tokyo Game Show. Just going for what the interpreter said so it's not 100% guaranteed

• Main Scenario are complete
  • Models are almost complete
  • They just have to brush up some of the quality a bit
  • Yoshida said Square would kill him if he revealed how much time production lasted (my guess is since Heavensward so 2015/2016)
  • They started with the scenario and they didn't stop working on it. They started with a small number of people. The production period was long but they didn't want to increase manpower until they had something that was good and they decided on what they wanted to do.
  • They prioritized scenario and then divided the scenes
  • Sakaguchi asked if he could write a quest for the game. Yoshida said he could do it for FF14 instead, he replied he doesn't want to go against Matsuno and Yoko

Livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBp-MMRnFV8

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Good god, can you imagine, an FF17 with Yoshi P producing and Sakaguchi either directing or writing?

Or, with continued gentle prodding from Yoshi P, actually managing to convince Sakaguchi to "go against" (or with) Matsuno and Yoko for a post-Endwalker expansion.....

*ahem*

I wonder what the difference would be with models almost being complete and brushing up quality. Sounds like the same thing to me....

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Quality can refer to a lot of things other than modeling. The combat system, anything regarding progression mechanics, etc.

Whatever is going on, it's clear they're at the "polishing" stage of game development and everything seems to be going as planned regarding production time. Which easily sticks this at "smoothest FF game development" in decades...

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Quality can refer to a lot of things other than modeling. The combat system, anything regarding progression mechanics, etc.

Whatever is going on, it's clear they're at the "polishing" stage of game development and everything seems to be going as planned regarding production time. Which easily sticks this at "smoothest FF game development" in decades...
Huh, yeah Final Fantasy XI and X I guess would be the last main numbered FFs ones that could qualify as having a “smooth development”.

Though was Final Fantasy X/XI’s development actually smooth, or is there just not a lot known about them?

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I can't wait for the FFXVI rebrand trailer for the FFXVIIth coming - A World of Aegis Epic saga, also revealing a change of directors (word of mouth has Toriyama as the man in charge). The hype is insane today.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Wait, why?

I mean, come on. YoshiP is gonna deliver excellence. Whether we wait another month or another 6 months. It's going to be worth it.

Are we really doubting this? If there's radio silence, then so be it. But I am 99% positive the final product will at least meet expectations.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Wait, why?

I mean, come on. YoshiP is gonna deliver excellence. Whether we wait another month or another 6 months. It's going to be worth it.

Are we really doubting this? If there's radio silence, then so be it. But I am 99% positive the final product will at least meet expectations.
No, I'm referring to the game being featured on this boring state of play. But nice, a new Star Ocean that looks like Xenoblade X.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
504954.jpg

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
No PC version until 2023 makes total sense. Heck, early 2023 could even make sense for the console release technically speaking. That would still be a far shorter media coverage time than nearly all modern new FF games.

Yoshida has said that FFXVI would only need one more big trailer for it's announcment and that would be enough to make people want to play the game. So whenever that launches... it's not going to be a small hole-in-the-wall event no one watches. Yoshdia is too good at showmanship to do that.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I still think we see nothing of 16 until E3. Endwalker is a big part of gamer zeitgeist right now due to so many people fleeing from WoW (and Shadowbringers and 14 in general being phenomenal) and so SE will want to give it time to enjoy the limelight for a few months rather than have 16 news cut into it.

Especially with the recent delay into December.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I don't really understand how another trailer for a game that releases months down the road would take away anything from a thing that releases in a few weeks tbh and it's also not consistent with how Square Enix has done things before (XIII was announced before XII was released in Europe/Australia, XIV was announced before XIII was out, VII Remake was announced a week or so before the Heavensward release etc)

Last year Yoshida said the next info dump would be 2021. Now I could see this getting pushed into next year but not all the way to E3.

Personally though, I still have hope for maybe TGA or something :monster:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Am I the only one that doesn't care if we get another trailer? If anything, I'd like to hear more of the music that'll be in the game

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I don't really understand how another trailer for a game that releases months down the road would take away anything from a thing that releases in a few weeks tbh and it's also not consistent with how Square Enix has done things before (XIII was announced before XII was released in Europe/Australia, XIV was announced before XIII was out, VII Remake was announced a week or so before the Heavensward release etc)

Last year Yoshida said the next info dump would be 2021. Now I could see this getting pushed into next year but not all the way to E3.

Personally though, I still have hope for maybe TGA or something :monster:

Simply because that's how SE has been doing things. Their tentpole games always get a wide berth from one another.

Am I the only one that doesn't care if we get another trailer? If anything, I'd like to hear more of the music that'll be in the game

Me, I wanna know how many playable characters there are and who. Most I've talked to in other communities say about the same.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Simply because that's how SE has been doing things. Their tentpole games always get a wide berth from one another.

Me, I wanna know how many playable characters there are and who. Most I've talked to in other communities say about the same.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather be surprised

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
No trailer at the TGA, 21 days left in 2021 until promise is broken.

I hate to break it to you, but Square Enix's never been able to keep their promises for any announcements regards to their games, and I have a feeling that Final Fantasy XVI won't be coming out until at least early 2023 if we're lucky.

Nomura at one stage said there would be winter news on Kingdom Hearts 3 before that game finally came out, but the news never came at all.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I dunno why we're still holding them to the promise of this year when Yoshi P has indicated they aren't ready yet. And he's more concerned about promising more information very close to the release date than promising information now and making everyone wait for the game until 2023 or something.

Top Bottom