Final Fantasy XVI

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Allegedly the only reason it wasn't a perfect 40 is one of the reviewers would have preferred it to be turn based rather than action gameplay. Not sure how true that is but amusing regardless.

A lot of the scuttlebutt going around seems to be VERY positive. Wouldn't be surprised at a 90+ metacritic.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy

General trend: Good story, good presentation, good combat, sidequest/RPG stuff is the weaker link of the game.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Happy that the game is getting strong reviews and a lot of praise for its story, even though I wanted that sweet +90 metascore.

Dissapointed with the sidequests being weak.

Edit>
88 in metacritic
90 in opencritic

Current score.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Just read that Famitsu has given it 39/40.

Not sure whether to take this with a pinch of salt given that they scored XII and XIII-2 40/40...
yeah famitsu gives everything a perfect score, no use there, lol.
Which is fine, or whatever, but it's odd seeing people being ALL-CAPS excited about it :lol:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
No, *perfect* scores from Famitsu are extremely rare.

They just give very high scores to FF. :monster:

D

Deleted member 13557

88 metacritic is solid, some of my favourite games of all time are mid to high 80s on that site. I’ve got very high hopes for this thing.

Won’t be GOTY as some have claimed tho. Might be my personal GOTY who knows but it’ll be TOTK that takes it just like TLOU2 took it over FF7R.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
estimated delivery on my copy is 27th june :sadpanda:

i brought this on myself by importing a physical copy from japan, but this is just how i am and i will not change

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
IMG_20230622_141908.jpg

It's Clivin' time

bought a used PS5 just for this (2l3 of the original price, only 6 months of use).

Edit:

I'm thoroughly impressed by the scale and presentation, holy shit (never has been this good in the franchise, only XIII comes close I think). Loving the combat, I'm glad there's a sense of weight to every action despite being flashy. Just finished Stillwind can't wait to see what lies ahead...

Last edited:

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Got my copy today.

I don't mean to sound like a console zealot or anything, but if Sony pumping money into SE results in more games on the level of 16, then I'm all for it. The presentation and polish in this game is absolutely unparalleled, and I hope that the Rebirth team are taking at least some notes from CBU3.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Wow, quite possibly the strongest opening in any FF ever. Incredible, the cutscene presentation is blowing me away, be it at the epic scenes or more subdue conversations. The combat is slowly becoming more interesting to play. Soken can't be stopped.

Gotta love the FFT and FFXII vibes I'm getting from all this as well.

Also, Hideaway spoilers:

Clive not showing interest in joining Cid's group is so like Cloud brushing off Avalanche at the beginning. Personality-wise they're kinda similar so far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13557

The combat is slowly becoming more interesting to play.
Ever since I played the Eikonic Challenge from the demo I felt great about the gameplay. Can’t wait to get all of the Eikons that were featured there.

Seeing Maximilian and the directors demonstrate what can be done with the combat made me pretty excited too. Just need to get my brain used to switching Eikons mid battle.

Reactions: Wol

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
I played the opening again, demo save file be damned. It's just too good. Only just made it to the hideout. Cutscene direction in this so far is pretty good. Combat at this point is fairly simple but still fun. Hope I don't go full degenerate on wanting to see more of the story and pull an all-nighter and fuck up my sleep cycle lmao
Literally same, replayed opening, got to the hideout, had to go to bed :monster:

Also hoping I don't stay up too late tonight...

MoLe_BlAdE

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Of course I ended up playing the prologue again. It's just so fucking good, man. Hands down the best opening hour or so of any of the other titles (that I've played anyway).

I'm crushing on Benedikta soooooooooo hard LOL!

Reactions: Wol

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Me and Benedickta with less than >10 Hp, no potions, then I land a delicious Heatwave countering a projectile that defeats her. These are the moments we live for lol

Now that I have Garuda, I can really feel the potential of this battle system (juggling three eikons will be a challenge later on). The new areas are breathtaking, while the exploration is controlled and linear, the areas in-between offer some nice breaks from the story.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
That Heatwave counter is extremely satisfying to pull off.

Wanted to say the same thing. :monster:
Annoying though because I keep forgetting that abilities have a cooldown so often I get smacked in the face with projectiles trying to bait a counterattack. :monster:

Holy shit, the spectacle. Feels good to finally control Ifrit. It was a simple fight but this stuff isn't there to be mechanically deep anyways. If Benedikta is really out of the picture already though...feels like kind of a waste!
That clash between Odin and Bahamut was sick as well. Pretty sure that was a pre-rendered cutscene like some of the stuff with Titan and Shiva but I enjoy that they keep visual consistency and still use in-engine models.

D

Deleted member 13557

Side stuff is falling kinda flat for me. Main story is great so far, as is the combat. Tried out arcade mode, that was pretty fun too.

Lots to love but some tediousness is my stance on this game right now.

Top Bottom