Final Fantasy XVI

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
I’m about as far through as the rest of you and my thoughts are much the same.

I see a lot of debate elsewhere around how ‘Final Fantasy’ the game feels and whilst yes it has undoubtedly taken a turn in direction, there are still plenty of overriding FF elements that make me feel right at home.

There are one or two nitpicks I have around gameplay elements which feel a bit tired in this genre but that doesn’t really detract at all from the overall experience. I don’t mind the early sidequests being a bit boring to be honest, they were a nice change of pace from a frantic opening so I felt like I wanted a breather. I won’t go into too much else at this stage given I’m not even halfway through and there is plenty more to find out that may make things clearer around some of the gameplay/exploration elements.

I was concerned about the combat prior to starting having watched the trailers as it felt very rushed and/or hammer the attack button, but the truth is it’s a lot of fun. That becomes more true the further I progress as I settle into a strategy that I’m comfortable with. Easy to learn, hard to master. I’ve no doubt that there are many more layers to the system that will come with time and repeated play throughs. I’m getting plenty of Game Overs through overuse of potions, but we’re getting there!

I like how there are different “levels” of battle. Standard battles and bosses yes, but then you get almost a mid-tier boss too. And the Eikon battles speak for themselves. Remarkable so far.

To this point, I’m highly engaged with the story, Clive is terrific and the VA is about as strong as I can recall from any FF. In fact, it’s streets ahead. That’s helped along by the writing and the dark tones of the story, giving that altogether more serious feel, whilst retaining the familiar FF feel. Cid is really strong as well, I can’t believe we have Finchy from The Office in a FF title, but here we are.

I’ve just gained Ramuh, so you’ll know what happens until that point.

I’m not feeling the rafts of emotion that I’ve seen mentioned by some players. That’s not to say I don’t care, maybe it’s just me as I get a bit older!

That said, it was a shame to lose Benedikta so early. I get it, but her breakdown after losing Garuda seemed to have a lot more potential to explore given her backstory. Chances are we’ll see more but maybe a missed opportunity.

Let’s face it, there’s a long way to go yet and more characters that I have barely seen yet so I’m not making any judgments yet.

Visuals speak for themselves. Attention to detail is fantastic and they’ve designed some beautiful views and each area seems to have its own distinct look and feel.

The music is also excellent. Several tracks are burned into my mind already and really help to set the tone. I loved the darkness around Lostwing early on and the area approaching Oriflamme.

Can’t wait to plough on!

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
the story just went from great to amazing in such a short amount of time. The entire Oriflamme ordeal was fantastic, so much hype shit happened. Definitely the highlight of the story together with the opening so far!

I'm liking Clive way better now, he opened up quite a bit, a shame that Jill is 'just there' most of the time.

new home looks crazy, wasn't expecting that. Anyone else simping for Tarja btw :p?

I feel that is pretty unnatural that Clive x Jill didnt happen yet.

Also completed my first Notorious Mark; easy but a lot of fun, enemy kept pressuring me with movesets and skills I haven't seen before. I can see the potential with later hunts.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
The landscape between Northreach and Oriflamme is beautiful, too bad it's impossible to enjoy with all the supremacists out and about.

"All Bark" is the best side quest so far I reckon.

RocketWizard

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
RocketWizard
the story just went from great to amazing in such a short amount of time. The entire Oriflamme ordeal was fantastic, so much hype shit happened. Definitely the highlight of the story together with the opening so far!

I'm liking Clive way better now, he opened up quite a bit, a shame that Jill is 'just there' most of the time.

new home looks crazy, wasn't expecting that. Anyone else simping for Tarja btw :p?

I feel that is pretty unnatural that Clive x Jill didnt happen yet.

Also completed my first Notorious Mark; easy but a lot of fun, enemy kept pressuring me with movesets and skills I haven't seen before. I can see the potential with later hunts.
I didn’t see you got to this point
this isn’t really an important spoiler but at the place where I’m at they nearly kiss before fucking gav interrupted them

Reactions: Wol

RocketWizard

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
RocketWizard
I wanted to edit my 2nd post for spoilers but apparently I can't so please don't read it and just check out the 3rd one instead

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm up to "Home, Sweet Home" now.

After the second time skip.

Some shit went down. Nvm what I said about the Eikon fight earlier, this time you get basically Clive's full moveset, awesome!
The whole "Ultima" thing...the active time lore kind of spoiled it a bit ahead of time, didn't it? I looked up those specter creatures at Phoenix Gate and it straight up said they were minions of Ultima or something and I was like whoa, this is new info who the eff is Ultima lol

Obviously we're getting into the more FF aspects of the story beyond just the local conflicts and wars and likely there's another god to attack and dethrone at the end of this all. :ultros:

What's up with Joshua though? Just roaming about as a hidden badass. I really want him and Clive to reunite.

Shocked they took away my hideout. Fucking Titan. Ah well, looks like it's been replaced by a cooler one however.
Wonder what's happened in the five years since.

Aw man, Cid. I'm gonna miss his gravel gargling voice. Thanks for the lightning powers and the shotlock from Kingdom Hearts though. :awesomonster:

RocketWizard

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
RocketWizard
I’m at bolts from the blue
Massive spoilers ahead
So first of Torgal I’m pretty sure went into super electric wolf or whatever for some reason and I don’t even have a clue.

Second of all the Battle between Clive and Hugo was awesome, and I also discovered he’s apparently a monk after he thrashed me for 5 minutes till I learned his moves and how to precision dodge and counter them which I did a LOT.

Thirdly Clive apparently saw Kupka as such a big threat that he decided to disarm him. Literally so he cuts of his hands. Then the guy screams about it and sounds like Patrick from SpongeBob before he gets up again ready to beat my ass after Clive was dazed from absorbing his power. But then some guy comes in with what I’m pretty sure is Spanish accent knocks Hugo out and walks off.

Fourth and finally I now have Titan's powers that I’m going to stress test right after I post this so bye

Reactions: LNK

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

EZA interview with

Michael-Christopher Koji Fox, Localization Director
Ryota Suzuki, Combat Director
Kazutoyo Maehiro, Creative Director and Scenario Writer
Masayoshi Soken, Composer

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
We march on…

This was EPIC. Liquid Flame handed my arse to me!!!

Jill came into her own here after a slow-ish start for me. Plenty more of that please…? I am a bit fearful of another dark turn as the relationship with Clive deepens…

What really got me was the music in this chapter. Strolling and fighting through the Comraich towards the Inner Sanctum was pure FFVIII-FFIX style glory. I felt as though I was on my way to meet Garland.

The story is bubbling nicely and the world leading up to this point keeps getting darker. That scene in Auldhyl gave me a shock that FF has gone this far. But I’m here for it.

RocketWizard

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
RocketWizard
Oh boy stuff got crazy at where I’m at all I’ll say about the sidequests is to do For Great Justice it’s utterly nuts. It may seem like a normal sidequest at the beginning but at the end you get probably the most interesting story of the sidequests so far and now
Massive spoilers ahead
the Titan Eikon battle is probably the best thing so far it was hard in some parts but it was awesome as hell also very long. The music wasn’t just the normal boss theme but some metal or techno I think? Idk I’m not good with music but the entire Fight was nuts.

Ultima has started to make more of an appearance. And I’ve destroyed the 3rd mothercrystal. But the most important part for me so far is in the hunt board I’ve got an S-rank hunt open. I did some research and discovered he's lvl 45 I’m only 33 I’m scared to fight him since I haven’t even fought an A-rank and B-ranks kick my ass so I’ll just do the other hunts in preparation then try him before getting back to the story

RocketWizard

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
RocketWizard
I apologize for the double post however I’m back
And after 2 deaths I managed to beat my first S-rank hunt Atlas the World Breaker.

It was level 45 and I was level 34 however after memorizing his attack patterns a lot of precision dodges, counters and all the other fun stuff with use of my limit breaks I managed to defeat him ,but he still throttled me so hard I ran out of potions at the end and I was on half health.

The exp he gave me was so much I leveled up twice.

Definitely one of the hardest fights in the game so far.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Until now, I didn't have a strong opinion on Remake's age rating limitations. But XVI has changed that a bit.

Biggs and Jessie's "dirt patch injuries" on the pillar, the case over Jenova's decapitated head, alien goo, and the black smoke from President Shinra's fatal wound are beginning to look downright juvenile in comparison to XVI's portrayal of blood and violence. Some of these even extend to Crisis Core Reunion unfortunately. It didn't bother me before, but now I can see what we were robbed of. Imagine how different XVI would need to be if it was forced into a teen rating. I feel it'd be a completely different game, both in terms of its events and tone. Now flip it and imagine how different Remake would feel if it was rated for mature audiences.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Haven't been posting much due to playing, but so far this is definitely one of the best FFs. Easily in my top favorites. Clive is awesome and this story is just... supreme.

I'll have more thoughts once I beat it. Currently just got Titan's Eikon abilities after seeing Kupka lose his grip over everything he held dear.

I have to say this game is challenging, I'm getting my ass handed to me every so often. I feel like I get a grip on things then the challenge cranks up. But it's also forgiving. Side quests get much better as the game goes on and I feel the FF elements wonderfully compliment the dark yet intriguing world this story takes place in.

This game is like an action RPG version of FF Tactics in terms of story and setting. And I love it.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Haven't been posting much due to playing, but so far this is definitely one of the best FFs. Easily in my top favorites. Clive is awesome and this story is just... supreme.

I'll have more thoughts once I beat it. Currently just got Titan's Eikon abilities after seeing Kupka lose his grip over everything he held dear.

I have to say this game is challenging, I'm getting my ass handed to me every so often. I feel like I get a grip on things then the challenge cranks up. But it's also forgiving. Side quests get much better as the game goes on and I feel the FF elements wonderfully compliment the dark yet intriguing world this story takes place in.

This game is like an action RPG version of FF Tactics in terms of story and setting. And I love it.
Yeah, really feeling this might crack my top 5 FF, the second half has been super strong.

Photo album #2 (spoilers up to Northreach)

image 19 includes the Heatwave that saved my ass against Benna lol

Edit: Reading about Aetherfloods and their effects on people, I can't help but think of the Mist from FFXII. Definitely not a coincidence.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13557

Vivi / black mage as a scarecrow
E6FABDDF-741F-4914-81AA-3A33790709AE.jpeg

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I've just seen greatness.

Holy fucking shit.

Yoshi-P fucking cooked in this game. This is seriously one of the best FFs in the series.

One of the best boss fights in this game is here. In this game.

The Titan Lost boss fight is one of the most incredible fusions of multiple gameplay styles and genres that works and just... Is incredibly hyped. Like, goddamn, this is so fucking creative and badass. I seriously cannot believe what I just played.

Sonic? In MY Final Fantasy??? It's more likely than you think.

I am amazed. FF really knows how to push the limits. And succeed.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Down with the second mothercrystal!

Jill finally got her moment to stand out and shine. The Prelude rendition playing when Clive cut the crystal was pretty fucking great, so many chills there. I wish we could have explored more of the islands to learn about the Iron Kingdom's culture and customs.

I like how npcs react with new conversations after a big event. Also really loving the side cast, Gav, Mid, Tomes, all great people;

gameplay-wise i think it could have been stellar if some minor things were included:

- a dumb minigame in towns
- more activities for Torgal (like digging to find hidden items, customizing accessories)
- maybe 1-2 extra combat mechanics to break the simplicity (special combos with party members)
- more banter during exploration
- imagine if you could explore one of the bigger cities or control other characters.

story-wise so far this is the standard that FF should be striving ALWAYS.

MoLe_BlAdE

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I'm probably about half way through the main story arc now so I feel like I've experienced a reasonable chunk to chuck my two-penneth in.

I genuinely thought I'd struggle to keep up with the story, but with the introduction of the ATL and Vivian in the Hideaway, I'm not lost at all. I know what's going on and its a refreshing change.

The voice acting is second-to-none. It's fantastic. I really feel a connection to the cast. I'm still struggling a bit with Jill, but I'm hoping she'll get some time in the spotlight soon to flesh out her character a little more. Cid is brilliant (I'm also pretty sure his VA had a minor role in GoT along with other British dramas in the past).

The combat is super fun. I'm still struggling having more than one Eikon - I find switching to the ones I want to use pretty difficult, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually. That's just me though, I'm not massively into these heavily action focussed games (I've died so many times already :mon:). I feel like there's some elements of the combat that have been glossed over. I'm struggling a little to understand why certain enemies don't have elemental weaknesses. Why aren't the vultures susceptible to thunder? Why do those poisonous plant things not have a weakness to fire? Maybe I've played too many RPGs in the past, but I'd have thought there might've been some elemental focus - considering some of the Eikons are elementals. I'm also yet to notice any status effects. Maybe I just haven't come across any enemies that inflict these effects yet, but being half way through, I'd have expected to have been poisoned a few times by now. Finally on the combat, I'd have liked a better thought out stagger mechanic. It just seems a bit rushed. Stagger an enemy and wail on it with all your abilities to get it's health down. I'd have preferred a stagger system like Remake's, but I certainly don't hate it.

The main quest story arc feels very missiony (if that's even a word). Here's your quest, go to the main world map and select it. The areas where the missions are are stunning, I just wanted a little more exploration. The map is already populated when you enter the area. I would have liked it to appear bit by bit as you traverse through it. I haven't explored nearly as much as I can see where I'm supposed to be going.

Only a couple of minor inconveniences so far for me, but it's still a solid game.

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
I've just seen greatness.

Holy fucking shit.

Yoshi-P fucking cooked in this game. This is seriously one of the best FFs in the series.

One of the best boss fights in this game is here. In this game.

The Titan Lost boss fight is one of the most incredible fusions of multiple gameplay styles and genres that works and just... Is incredibly hyped. Like, goddamn, this is so fucking creative and badass. I seriously cannot believe what I just played.

Sonic? In MY Final Fantasy??? It's more likely than you think.

I am amazed. FF really knows how to push the limits. And succeed.

That was just an incredible gaming experience. Just jaw dropping. I was sat on the edge of my seat with my mouth open as though I’d been gobsmacked at birth.

It was a true feast. I’m sweating profusely. Unbelievable.

This game is truly reinventing what combat, cinematics and story telling can combine to achieve.

Stunning.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
All they received in sales is just to cover the budget for the entire Titan fight.

Holy fucking shit.

That was batshit insanity, you guys were not kidding! Most spectacular setpiece ever!? I dont remember even GoW having something of this caliber.

Edit>

It sold slightly less than FFVII Remake, but the PS4 install base was much much higher than PS5s. Overall it seems a solid result.

-------------

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXVI/comments/14kh3u7
:lol:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's very impressive. And it's much deserved.

Just hit one of the most critical moments of the game. Goddamn I love this plot.

Ultima
is so fucking creepy. I love it, a very awesome villain so far.

Top Bottom