Final Fantasy XVI

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm amazed people aren't raising more hell about the way the world map works. Clicking an icon on the map to go to the next area is...something I feel like people would lose their minds about if Rebirth were to work this way. Gives it a very "mission based" feel.

That said, I got to Martha's Rest last night, and it is adorable. Instantly thought of how something like Rocket Town could have a similar kind of feel. (Kalm too for the surrounding area, but it's too small for Kalm :monster:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13557

I'm amazed people aren't raising more hell about the way the world map works. Clicking an icon on the map to go to the next area is...something I feel like people would lose their minds about if Rebirth were to work this way.
I don’t mind it. People would rightly lose their minds if Rebirth worked that way, due to the original game being somewhat open to explore, even if the progress route is strictly linear. Would be deeply disappointing if we couldn’t explore Gaia after Midgar game :mon:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I'm amazed people aren't raising more hell about the way the world map works. Clicking an icon on the map to go to the next area is...something I feel like people would lose their minds about if Rebirth were to work this way. Gives it a very "mission based" feel.

That said, I got to Martha's Rest last night, and it is adorable. Instantly thought of how something like Rocket Town could have a similar kind of feel. (Kalm too for the surrounding area, but it's too small for Kalm :monster:)
I just got to Martha's Rest as well.

The landscapes have been incredibly beautiful so far, went back to check how already visited areas look... the fields around Lostwing and Caer Norvent aren't small at all and there's also added wildlife.

Still mesmerized by that scene, really confused about who he is (more than before now)...

I tried just 2 sidequests and they were mechanically uninteresting but super quick to finish, so there's at least that.

Last edited:

RocketWizard

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
RocketWizard
For those of you complaining about sidequests wait till you reach Moore and do All bark and Plaything because holy shit. I won’t spoil anything however those 2 are incredibly dark

Reactions: Wol

RocketWizard

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
RocketWizard
Sorry for double posting but My god. This game is gigantic.

I woke up yesterday at 11am started playing,finished at 4am the next day, woke up at 2:50pm today and I keep playing except with small breaks on my phonelike right now for example.

And I’m still missing multiple mechanics like the hunt board, Chocobos and tons of other stuff.

Not to mention I only have Phoenix, Garuda, and technically Ifrit as playable Eikons. There’s still Ramuh,Shiva,Titan,Bahmut, and Odin's Eikons. And I’ve poured like 20+ hours into this game

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
watched my brother play the demo in english and even though i am english and live in england, hearing video game characters have english accents still throws me for a loop. like, why are you talking like that

have people worked out if there are any regional differences in the game, namely the depictions of violence? after playing metal gear solid 5 ground zeroes my brother mentions the gore, which i was confused about because i didn't remember it being as extreme as he was making it out to be. but he played the uk release and i played the japanese version, which i found out framed certain cutscenes differently to be less explicit. when i said i'd ordered the japanese version he asked me if there were any differences here, which got me thinking but i don't really want to google it to avoid spoilers lol.

edit; also thinking about the music, specifically the boss tracks, and those slap and i hope there's more like that in the full game

Last edited:

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Sorry for double posting but My god. This game is gigantic.

I woke up yesterday at 11am started playing,finished at 4am the next day, woke up at 2:50pm today and I keep playing except with small breaks on my phonelike right now for example.

And I’m still missing multiple mechanics like the hunt board, Chocobos and tons of other stuff.

Not to mention I only have Phoenix, Garuda, and technically Ifrit as playable Eikons. There’s still Ramuh,Shiva,Titan,Bahmut, and Odin's Eikons. And I’ve poured like 20+ hours into this game
I'm at 21 hours and still on Three Reeds; enamored with the world they've built, I keep getting sidetracked to check the vistas.

Really enjoyed my time around this area (usually hate swamp levels), the village is pretty chill and we got relevant story exposition about Bearers.

Sidequests are still simple but fast to complete, so I'm not finding them offensive.

Edit:

Photo album (spoilers up to Lostwing)

Last edited:

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Was saying this to friends, I'm not really sure exactly how to describe or pinpoint this but you can kind of tell that it's based in part on FFXIV tech by the way NPCs emote. Mostly in their facial expressions, particularly when they smile; it just screams XIV to me any time it happens.

Game's great so far, I'm definitely playing sub-optimal but I'm having a blast regardless.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Going to try and get my thoughts down as fast as possible so that I can get back to playing.

I'm up to Martha's Rest. Some of what I'm about to say was already pointed out in the Twitter thread Lulcielid shared, but it is beginning to resonate with me. I will repeat a few things and unfortunately make comparisons to Remake throughout.

Let's start with how you Stagger enemies in XVI. There's really no tactical approach to it. The bigger the attack, the more damage to the gauge. Now let's look back at Remake. Against the Failed Experiment boss, which is fought with Barret and Tifa in Chapter 13, only ice magic fills its stagger gauge. That is unless you break one of its appendages, in which case the Failed Experiment reveals its heart. For this brief window, physical attacks are able to fill the gauge. It should also be noted that only Barret's gun arm can reach the appendage, and Tifa is a beast once the boss is staggered, so you're encouraged to switch between characters throughout the fight.

Almost all boss battles in Remake have unique stagger mechanics like this. Some common enemies do as well. I fear Remake's fight against the Failed Experiment is going to display more tactical depth than the entirety of XVI, or at least rival it.

Moving on. In XVI, when an enemy is staggered, all it really does is give you a window to unload the Eikon abilities you have available. Again, let's compare that to Remake. With Tifa or Aerith in your party, you can choose to increase the stagger damage bonus, or with Cloud, you can build up his ATB to unleash Finishing Touch, which does extra damage to staggered enemies. So there's a bit of a balancing act. Additionally, in Remake the stagger damage bonus starts at x1.6, which just feels better than XVI's range of x1.05-x1.5 from a "game juice" perspective.

In terms of weapons, in XVI you either spend gil or crafting materials to increase your sword's strength. In Remake, each character has unique 6 unique weapons. Once fully upgraded, there's no clear winner between them, just different specializations. Some weapons boost crit rate, some MP restoration. Some weapons change the character's moveset, such as Cloud's Nail Bat or Barret's Wrecking Ball (the latter of which overhauls him into a short range brawler).

And that's not even getting into the Materia system, which allows you to further specialize characters with magics and passives. I get that XVI wants to be an action game, but my issue is they didn't substitute the loss of RPG elements with anything meaningful. Besides precision dodging and parrying, XVI just isn't taking advantage of the genre. Typically combos are what give action games their depth, but with XVI, you really don't have many options outside of attack->magic burst->attack->etc, then closing the distance (e.g., X+Square, Eikon ability). And all this is made worse by how spongy large enemies can be.

As for positives, I will say that XVI has a great "pick-up-and-play" aspect. Believe it or not, I'm still having fun. And if someone off the street asked me "what PS5 game should I pick up?", I'm more likely to recommend XVI over Remake because I know it looks and feels great for all skill levels. However, for me personally, I find the combat to be overly restrictive and repetitive.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So far, I'm finding the combat to be great fun, I do like that I'm consciously making decisions for what I want my next attack to be, as opposed to just doing absolutely anything possible to keep a combo going or something. However, I absolutely agree that the rpg elements are lackluster to say the least, and I couldn't fault any FF fan for having a negative/caveated impression of XVI for it.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Not too bothered with the superficial rpg elements, since this game wants to be action. But the difficulty is low and fights end too fast, the moment stuff heats up it's already over (funny there were complaints about enemies being too spongey). So dumb that hard mode isn't available from the start.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Just checked social media and am seeing some of the discourse. To be clear, I'm not bothered by the lack of RPG elements. I understand they wanted to make an action game and that's great, creators should make what they want. I'm just critical of the mechanics they have in place (or lack thereof).

Though I am beginning to see some combo potential with Garuda against large enemies.

Last edited:

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Just unlocked limit break. The truth is...
bitter but gotta be faced, isn't it?

I feel like Clive is improving as a character now.

Also the Fallen ruins does remind me a lot of the Pulse vestiges from FFXIII, great design.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Just unlocked limit break. The truth is...
bitter but gotta be faced, isn't it?

I feel like Clive is improving as a character now.

I gotta say this whole angle confused me,
he already accepted it? He accepted it immediately after Garuda, it was Cid who convinced him to go double-check. What wasn't he accepting?

And I agree the Hall of the Ancestors looked fantastic, I just kept looking around

Last edited:

RocketWizard

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
RocketWizard
I’m pretty sure I’m way further ahead than anyone else here so I’ll give my thoughts on some things I dislike about it.

Keep in mind before I begin this I’m talking about things I don’t like about it because I want to talk about it’s problems from keeping it a 10/10 for me and at 9/10.
this game in my opinion is still amazing gameplay wise and story wise ,however I want to talk about things that I disliked a lot during my playthrough so far.
I still haven’t finished the game however I’m certain I’m further ahead than most of the people here. After that I’ll talk about other stuff

-Party Members
While I don’t really care about making them playable or not (both SOP and XV didn’t ) their impact doesn’t really feel noticeable most of the time.
You don’t really fight differently when you have them and when you don’t. I feel like some ability to atleast raise their Agro and make them rush the enemy like stranger of paradise so they do tons of damage ,or to make them use their special moves at certain times like FFXV would’ve helped make them feel more unique and useful.
I don’t really bother with Torgal much honestly and also some ability to actually see them improve like giving them level ups or new gear or whatever would be nice(I still don’t understand what Torgal's attribute page is supposed to do).
So all in all they don’t really feel like they have an affect on the game

-Elemental Weaknesses
This feels like something that honestly should be outright in the game unlike anything else. I mean why the hell does hitting a bomb with a fire have the same affect as hitting it with an aero. It honestly feels like very lazy game design to do nothing like that you can literally switch through any Eikon and their elements whenever you want and yet you can’t put in Elemental resistances or weaknesses. It’s honestly the biggest problem that I have with the game.

-Status Effects
I don’t really have as much as an issue with this one as I do the other 2 but still any sort of buffs or debuts in this game are practically nonexistent or don't even exist at all except through stuff like lionheart or stoneskin tonics which honestly I forget even exist most of the time. Stuff like buffing yourself with haste and raining an unholy amount of attacks at your enemies isn’t really possible except with limit breaks and honestly even that doesn’t feel impactful

-Gear
Equipment in this game honestly doesn’t feel very special you always just go to the blacksmith to craft or upgrade to a new one and it doesn’t really have any special effects. My best example is that after beating Garuda you get a special crafting item that you can use to make a brand new purple tier sword. You’d expect “Oh wow this sword has a purple rank rarity and I got the stuff from it from a boss so clearly it must be good” well than you’re wrong it has no special abilities and within the next 30 minutes or so you just replace it with a normal gray sword with minor stat increases. There is literally 0 reason to choose a sword that doesn’t do the most damage. They have no special abilities or anything worth staying with. I still advise you don’t try to sell the Garuda sword seeing as you can upgrade it into the 4th best weapon in normal mode.

Now onto my normal post the Eikonic battles in this game are incredible and I like mechanics like precision dodge and counter. A lot I’ll now address some problems some people are talking about the game from here (only gameplay no story)
-Sidequests
Sidequests are a bit boring at first but atleast you can finish them quickly however after a certain point in the game (when you reach Moore) they get way better story wise and also far darker once again when you reach the point where you get them do All Bark and Playthings because that’s when thing’s really pickup.

Honestly I was planning to continue talking about other problems people have with the game however I’ve spent the past 10 minutes writing this and I honestly don’t care to write much more so I’ll just go through some quick stuff
1-piece of advise even if you don’t want to do sidequests always make sure to atleast do the ones which have a plus icon on them. This usually give you significant rewards like new crafting recipes, Chocobos and other stuff ( it’s also where you get the ultimate weapon in this game)
2-flames of rebirth (the phoenix ability which costs 1600 ap) is without a doubt the best ability for clearing out groups of enemies. Anything without a stagger bar will either die or lose 75% of its health if it’s hit by it. It has an insane AOE radius and ridiculous damage so I recommend you try to get it whenever you can.

not really advice or criticism like the others but something I find a bit funny is that when you reach the time skip about the only thing that has had a model change is Clive's head everybody else looks the same and Jill still looks like she’s the same age as Tifa when she’s 10 years older than her.

Just something I found a bit funny, oh and also I finally met the main antagonist I won’t say anything about them however. Anyway this is honestly getting to long for me so I’m ending it here

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Fuck, the boss battles in this are good shit. Unlocking limit break and semi-priming into Ifrit was hype as hell.

Btw, I love that having an in-between form is a thing. Very shonen anime "this isn't even my final form" shit, it's awesome.

So that mural at the apodytery place...I mean, they've already shown the full thing in promos but the central figure there is clearly some kind of Phoenix/Ifrit hybrid.
And the full thing had Leviathan on it too which they haven't shown in promos at all otherwise. Curious who that's gonna be.

Garuda's grab ability is very DMC Nero so much so that it activates my muscle memory of DMC4 and I occasionally use the wrong button combinations to do DMC moves lmao

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Tried the Arcade Mode and had a blast, got two Ss! Replayed Kingsfall and Eye of the Tempest (there's an option to turn cutscenes off). Feeling much more comfortable on how to combo and the general flow of combat.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Watching a playthrough since I don't have a ps5. Did I see what I think I saw when Clive was younger?
did he actually kill Joshua?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Continue watching and you’ll find out. I’d tag in spoilers but I don’t know how to do that
How much further? I don't wanna watch too much, since I'd prefer to experience this by playing. I just couldn't help watching the beginning

RocketWizard

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
RocketWizard
How much further? I don't wanna watch too much, since I'd prefer to experience this by playing. I just couldn't help watching the beginning
after fighting Garuda, which is after the benedikta boss fight at the end of the combat demo

Reactions: LNK

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Spoilers up to Northreach:

FINAL FANTASY XVI_20230622181656.jpg
FINAL FANTASY XVI_20230623155614.jpg
FINAL FANTASY XVI_20230623160701.jpg
FINAL FANTASY XVI_20230623222823.jpg
FINAL FANTASY XVI_20230624134656.jpg
FINAL FANTASY XVI_20230624202750.jpg
FINAL FANTASY XVI_20230624102710.jpg
FINAL FANTASY XVI_20230624163642.jpg

If anyone told me this was from a new Ivalice game, I would have believed it. Absolutely love this game's aesthetic.

Top Bottom