• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

General Anime Thread

Gankutsuou is great! I've been meaning to rewatch it as it's been a loooong time since I saw it last. It's legit probably one of the best takes on The Count of Monte Cristo - it's cool how it obviously does its own thing while some of the core machinations of the second half of the book are still there (at least IIRC). There's some 3D CG that probably looks pretty dated, but the art style is really, really neat (provided you don't find the textures bothersome in motion).

Back when used anime was easier to find, I would always find the later disks but never the first one. I mean, I could just pirate it, but that's no fun. It looks so pretty.

I remember coming across the first couple disks in a video store (back in the late 2000s) and being taken aback by how expensive they were (new) - like $30 per disk (which was four episodes, I think).

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Summer 2020

There's less than usual this season for all the other shows either being pushed back or under underteminate hiatus, outside of sequels the current hot anime aroud is The God of High School, action junkies looking forward for their fix will be satisfied, the first episode was bangers (and so is the OP).

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
I love Masaaki Yuasa but I'm just really genuinely confused with the story execution of "Japan Sinks". I'm on episode 5 but I don't know what's going on anymore. Sucks because it reminds me of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and I loved that anime.

swan725

Lv. 1 Adventurer
So I started watching Tokyo Ghoul back when the first season came out and boy was I in love with the opening song at first glance. Unravel still remains one of the most iconic openings out there. Other than that,the anime itself was fairly enjoyable, although I would highly recommend the manga over it. The second season is bullshit, just switch over to the manga after watching the first one. Trust me, you won't regret it. The new season for Tokyo Ghoul:Re is so-so in my opinion. Again, the opening song is pretty fantastic. They tend to skip a lot of material so once again, Tokyo Ghoul:Re manga is much, much better. The story doesn't just follow one perspective, and the main character lives the life on both sides to know that 'good' and 'bad' aren't black and white terms. The characters are realistic, and many of them seem to suffer from some complex mental instabilities. If you're into gore, the manga will most certainly please you. I love the art style and the covers the author does in color every now and then. The ending too, for the most part was very satisfactory and I would urge you give it a try too.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
So, what are people watching this season? Covid has made the selection a bit slim.
Personally, watching god of highschool, Uazki-chan, re:zero, Peter Grill and the philosophers time, the misfit of demon king high, and Deca-dence.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon (InuYasha Sequel) finally got an official trailer and will start airing on October 3rd:

The kids are so cute :'( I'm sold!

and why does Inuyasha's daughter look more like a half-demon that Sesshomaru's daughters lol??

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Started DanMachi out of boredom... can't look away.... now reading the light novels... help

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I know I'm a number of years late, but I finally watched all of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya." The show was hit or miss for me, I think haruhi could have used more redeeming moments to balance her abrasive nature. I kinda feel for her because it's clear she's actually kinda meek under her rough exterior, but there's only so many times I can see her abuse her friends before it gets annoying. that said, I think I enjoyed the show well enough regardless, The visuals are stunning, I'd never have guessed that the show was over 10 years old, for an earlier digital title it looked excellent. The comedy landed more than it didn't, even if it returned to the same well a few too many times in some areas. Kyon was a bit typical of a protagonist for this sort of show, but his dry wit made a nice contrast to the weirdness surrounding him, and I want to fuck Crispin Freeman's voice. I like all of the supporting characters too, with Yuki probably being my favorite (mostly because of the film.) I suffered through all eight episodes of the "endless eight" arc, and the sheer audacity of reanimating the same story eight times with only minor differences is so outrageous that I have to respect it. Imagine watching the same episode for two months while that was airing lol. It also builds up the core of the film in a surprising and effective way. Speaking of the film, while I have mixed feelings about the show itself, "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumia" is actually a fantastic movie, definitely the highlight of the series for me, and apparently the second longest animated film ever made. Nice.
7.8/10 would recommend

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Will the first 12 episodes be devoted to Ryo running around the village doing random boring shit with the last episode culminating in an incomplete and unsatisfying showdown? :monster:

Or is this based on the first game?

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I know I'm a number of years late, but I finally watched all of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya." The show was hit or miss for me, I think haruhi could have used more redeeming moments to balance her abrasive nature. I kinda feel for her because it's clear she's actually kinda meek under her rough exterior, but there's only so many times I can see her abuse her friends before it gets annoying. that said, I think I enjoyed the show well enough regardless, The visuals are stunning, I'd never have guessed that the show was over 10 years old, for an earlier digital title it looked excellent. The comedy landed more than it didn't, even if it returned to the same well a few too many times in some areas. Kyon was a bit typical of a protagonist for this sort of show, but his dry wit made a nice contrast to the weirdness surrounding him, and I want to fuck Crispin Freeman's voice. I like all of the supporting characters too, with Yuki probably being my favorite (mostly because of the film.) I suffered through all eight episodes of the "endless eight" arc, and the sheer audacity of reanimating the same story eight times with only minor differences is so outrageous that I have to respect it. Imagine watching the same episode for two months while that was airing lol. It also builds up the core of the film in a surprising and effective way. Speaking of the film, while I have mixed feelings about the show itself, "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumia" is actually a fantastic movie, definitely the highlight of the series for me, and apparently the second longest animated film ever made. Nice.
7.8/10 would recommend

I loved this show way back in the day. It was great in so many ways, but as I got older I really grew to dislike Haruhi herself. I can’t believe I ever liked her in the first place. :monster: I liked the movie a lot. I was very invested in this original and intriguing show and was thus disappointed that they never decided to go further with the animation. Especially since they uh, kinda wasted all their budget for the second season on...

Imagine watching the same episode for two months while that was airing lol.

:crymoar:
Endless 8.... I was there.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I loved this show way back in the day. It was great in so many ways, but as I got older I really grew to dislike Haruhi herself. I can’t believe I ever liked her in the first place. :monster: I liked the movie a lot. I was very invested in this original and intriguing show and was thus disappointed that they never decided to go further with the animation. Especially since they uh, kinda wasted all their budget for the second season on...

:crymoar:
Endless 8.... I was there.
I also get the feeling I would have liked it more when I was younger. I think I'm getting too old for the high school setting, I'm not quite nostalgic for that time of my life yet. Haruhi is too insufferable for her own good, but at least there are occassionally repercussions. Apparently she gets better in the later novels, but the show never got that far because endless 8 lol. I respect why they did that, even if it was a big waste of time. It makes you really feel for Nagato in the film. I just wish each loop was more distinct.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I also get the feeling I would have liked it more when I was younger. I think I'm getting too old for the high school setting, I'm not quite nostalgic for that time of my life yet. Haruhi is too insufferable for her own good, but at least there are occassionally repercussions. Apparently she gets better in the later novels, but the show never got that far because endless 8 lol. I respect why they did that, even if it was a big waste of time. It makes you really feel for Nagato in the film. I just wish each loop was more distinct.

Surprisingly I've become nostalgic over high school stuff somewhat... though mostly just the memories ditching class with my best friend who moved away. Or ditching class to sneak into the art room and work on my paintings. :wacky: I'm somehow able to enjoy the idealized high school setting even though it ain't true at all. It's more like, what I wish my high school days were like.

Haruhi is frustrating because I really like the idea of her, but they went too far with the sociopathy in the execution. She's basically the villain of the show. An unlikeable one, imho.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Wonder if it will also make dubs get arranged quicker again, since the licenses will be shared/conglomerated again?

Top Bottom