• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

General TV thread

Anemone

Pro Adventurer
Just finished watching The OA last night. I watched the first episode a few weeks ago and wasn't interested in continuing, but my boss convinced me to give it another go, so I binge-watched it yesterday. I'm glad I did! It really picks up steam from the second episode onwards. I just wish there were 12 or 13 episodes rather than just 8, but thankfully it got picked up for a second season. I know that having loose ends is part of the appeal for some series, but I personally like having questions answered.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Up to date on Rebels

Disclaimer: I am biased against both Thrawn and have major Creative Differences with the Disney movies so far, and some Star Wars fans can be some of the most bitter hateful creatures in fandom. I had hoped never to join their ranks.

I know Thrawn is loved by a lot of people. I haven't read the original books, but disliked the little I heard. And I didn't like him here.

He seems like... well, the bad kind of fanfic self insert. The only alien in the Imperial Fleet, conquers a district of Ryloth in his downtime and can tell manufacturing flaws in AT STs at a glance. He makes everyone else in the Imperial Navy look bad, quite often deliberately and unnecessarily. Anyone who deviates from his orders immediately screws up. Although considering how he mistreats his subordinates, Admiral Constantine is pretty justified in breaking ranks, I'm chalking that fault up to Thrawn, although I'm not sure it was intentional.

Maul's finality was both extremely appropriate and a bit disappointing, a tired old man in a pointless fight.

Agent Kallus an absolute highlight, he's an extremely capable intelligence officer unlucky to be up against PCs. Rebels is at its best when it focuses on its own characters, it creaks under the weight of having to 'do justice' to fan favourite characters, (which is admittedly a difficult balance to strike) although Tarkin did impress with his sheer disgust at his ineffective subordinates.

That old Clone Wars holdout another great episode.

Overall a good show, but a much harder sell to me than Clone Wars was. One thing they are very good at is compressed storytelling, a hell of a lot can happen in twenty minutes.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry for taking over the thread.

Ghost X

Been marathon watching Vikings on my Uncle's netflix. More interesting than I expected. Half way through season 2.

Edit: Okay. Finished season four. Still engaging. One of my critiques is that people with shields get shot by arrows too easily.

Last edited:

Ghost X

Watched Stranger Things season 1 finally. Really good show. Hopefully we're not just dealing with the upside down again next season, or at least not the same kind of monster. Really love the intro music too. Synthwave, baby :p. Feel a bit overloaded with 1980s settings of late, but wasn't on the nose in this series. Granted, it is comedy that has naturally exaggerated such of late.

Is nobody here watching The Last Kingdom? You guys would love it, it has everything you like in a TV show: amazing battles, great music, badass women, badass men, a hero, a devious king, a warrior princess, a warrior priest, Vikings, monks, longships, intrigue, double-dealing, oaths and blood feuds....

I am pretty picky about my historical fiction, and this show is the business. It takes some liberties with history but by the end of it you will have a pretty fair understanding of the life and times of King Alfred.

Here's Uthred son of Uthred talking to, I think, Leofric:

The-Last-Kingdom.jpg

and here's King Alfred being crowned King

CIbIgLAWEAAhdop.jpg:large

He looks weedy but he has an iron will (and an iron faith)

Seriously, if you're not watching this you are missing out.

Lex

Administrator
Oh man I just finished rewatching all of Desperate Housewives and I forgot how much of an emotional anvil the finale of that show is. It's always amazing when shows get to wrap up properly ;-;

Lex

Administrator

Honestly I feel like it's a shame what's happened to this show over the years. I have some very emotional memories with it growing up since it was something everyone in my family loved to watch.

Ghost X

Marathoned Glow's first season. Was good. Like that they left open some issues for the second season.
Interested in seeing how the racial stereotype issue is solved. Especially given the lady was attacked by the crowd.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Randomly started watching Desginated Survivor. I quite like it actually, it's a political thriller in series form. Not as heavy on the politics as Hous of Cards. A lot like 24, same actor too.

Lex

Administrator
"Mindhunter", a Netflix drama starring Jonathan Groff and chronicling the FBI's development of criminal psychoanalysis, specifically with respect to 1970's serial killers (real ones, acted quite well if I say so myself). Set in the 70's.

It's... unusual. Somehow it's incredibly gripping but it doesn't have cliffhangers or even many resolutions. It's essentially just about how the FBI came to realise they had to understand the criminal mind to be able to stop serial killers. On episode 7 and really liking it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Started watching a bit of Mad Men, I think some people here were pretty excited about it. It looks like a err, slice-of-life from the 50's kinda thing? A time where workplace mysoginy, alcoholism and chain smoking were the norm (apparently). And a job that involves a ten minute meeting followed by sleeping out the hangover. IDK.

Good quality series though, I needed that after trying to watch that marvel cack.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Started watching Twin Peaks recently. Odd show. :monster:

Started watching The Handmaid's Tale today.
The scene in episode 2 where the girl gives birth and they hand her baby to some other woman made me feel super uck. I kind of want to keep watching but I kind of don't. Wtf.
:closedmonster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

Looks like something of a Blade Runner inspired action series. Doesn't look too campy, although I'm sure they just put all the good bits into the trailer and the other 90% is soap opera :monster:

Ghost X

Stranger Things: Good, but not as good as the first season.
Eleven's detour with anarchist stereotypes was probably my least favourite thing. I figure it ain't a one off, ie: we'll probably see more of Eight in season three, or whatever. I'm guessing the next season will focus on how there's a hole into the Upside Down in the school that didn't seem to be closed? :P. Some other story lines that I'm curious if they'll develop as well, eg: Wheeler mother + Max's dickhead brother flirting. Didn't really buy Nancy's boyfriend going "It's cool, I'm happy being the babysitter", felt it required more build-up.
3.8/5 stars.

The End of the F***ing World: I think it began well, and perhaps dragged toward the end once all story threads were in the process of tying up. Quick to consume though. 8 half hour episodes or something like that.
I wish they kept with the "murder-fantasising psychopath versus clueless girlfriend" aspect of it for longer. That's what the trailer was all about, but that aspect basically ended after 2 or 3 episodes. I enjoyed the suspenseful aspect of that bit, but once that finished, so did a lot of my interest.
3.2/5 stars.

Black Mirror: I think Netflix must have skipped Seasons 2 and 3 as I played through, as now realise I only saw Season 1 and three episodes of season 4, before I stopped watching it :awesome:. I just don't think it was good for me to marathon in one sitting because most of them are tragic stories that probably affected me more than they should have :P. Heard people complaining about the later seasons or something, iirc. The ones I saw were watchable? I stopped watching also because I was also bored. Some of the stories just didn't have that hook to keep me going. 3/5 stars (on average, I guess... some episodes I'd rate higher).

BoJack Horseman: Easy to consume, pretty brain-dead laughs from what I recall. I would kind of compare it to Arrested Development. If you liked that, you'd probably like this. Wasn't really paying attention to what episodes I watched, so don't have a clue what season(s) I was on. 3/5 stars. I've read reviews that the quality of the series goes up and down, or something, so don't pay attention to me :P.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Altered Carbon is pretty damn good, just saying :monster:

Okay so I'm mostly reflecting on the world building, atmosphere, effects (although they're most prevalent in the pilot, probably to help set up the worldbuilding / atmosphere), sets, etc; I dunno yet about the plot, but so far it's compelling enough to keep watching.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Awww, Altered Carbon isn't doing too well re: viewers / ratings :/. This makes me sad beacause I'm really enjoying it. It avoids the trap of being too er, wishy-washy, poetically vague, not explaining things because of ~science~ or whatever, and the story keeps doing this thing too (like err,
how junior got into dad's body to compensate for being a little shit, buut he didn't kill him
, things like that).

I also noticed / liked how asian-americans / asians are very well represented in the series, without their characters being forced or stereotyped. And how some actors end up portraying multiple roles / personalities, notably.
the bearded tatoo dude who goes from being the cop's granny to Dimi the Twin etc; a shame he's dead now
, :monster:.

There's a lot of philosophical debates to consider in this series, I guess similar to The Matrix. TBF I think people have been very well-behaved despite the possibilities :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Well Netflix is at fault here, doing the surprise God Particle premiere right along with releasing Altered Carbon killed off initial momentum for the series.

Mormz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dustin
I'm about half way through Altered Carbon and it's fantastic. Really interesting world. Didn't read the book so no idea how close it follows.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I had an uber driver telling me all about Altered Carbon and I am intrigued.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I didn't even know there were books, but then, I haven't heard anyone go "Oh shitfuck this book is good" since GoT, and that one's been going on for what, twenty years now? :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I will be 22 years in August since A Game of Thrones was released and an eternity waiting for The Winds of Winter.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Currently on the latest season of Orange Is the New Black. The majority of the last season was very, very meh and then the last few were good
with Poussey sadly dying.
The current season is quite good so far with
the riot
and I'm halfway through, hoping to finish it off today.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Watched the 1st season of Everything Sucks with my girlfriend. We both really enjoyed it, it's endearing, funny and a huge nostalgia rush for childhood in the 90's.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I saw a trailer, it feels rather forced tbf, like, "oh 80's nostalgia was a thing last year, let's do 90's nostalgia! And let's make the characters look sorta similar to those from Stranger Things!" I didn't catch any plot in that trailer either, :monster:

Top Bottom