Last Film You've Seen

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
WW is fantastic imo, and a great interpretation of the character. The only thing I didn't like was the weak shot at gender issues.
That was the major script/plot failing, the other being
Hippolyta killing her son (whose name escapes me). In Greek myths, killing your kin - no matter the circumstances - always ended messily for you, with the excepting of the gods committing genocide against their forebears, the Titans. In fact, it was usually the gods who made things messy for you (the ur-example of this is before the Trojan war, one Greek general sacrificed his daughter to ensure victory. When the armies returned home, his wife and her lover killed him in revenge. In response to this, the offspring of the wife and her lover killed their parents, as their mother had killed her husband)

Still, saying the poor handling of gender in/equality is the main failing of the story is a pretty minor fault, considering how live-action superhero films can fall down on story terms.

It did at least finally make the invisible jet make some sense to me -
like a 'ghost' of Steve Trevors' jet
. :monster: (Although, Matt Wagner's Trinity did more-or-less justify its existence to me: "He wants one.")
late response is late but yep, she was amazing.
Better than none. :) Thanks, I'll try to catch that one when it's released over here.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
In Greek myths, killing your kin - no matter the circumstances - always ended messily for you, with the excepting of the gods committing genocide against their forebears, the Titans. In fact, it was usually the gods who made things messy for you (the ur-example of this is before the Trojan war, one Greek general sacrificed his daughter to ensure victory. When the armies returned home, his wife and her lover killed him in revenge. In response to this, the offspring of the wife and her lover killed their parents, as their mother had killed her husband).
Subverted by Medea :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The Road.

Shit movie. Reminded me of Generic Fantasy Novel. It basically went campfire, eating, meeting someone, then rinse and repeat ten times until
dad dies
, THE END.

I want my two hours back.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Road worked much much better as a book.

What Dreams May Come was hilariously cheesy, though great visuals. The constant repeating of "don't give up" got on my nerves by the end though. Not a great script in my opinionz, but it's fuzzy and heartwarming and shit.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I just watched Sunshine.

Holy crap wow I don't even know what to say.

In a good way.

Aside from being TOTALLY crazy intense, that movie is what gave me confidence in Chris Evans making a kickass Captain America.

Have you seen Moon?

Because that & Sunshine are some of the best Hard Sci-Fi films in recent memory.

X :neo:

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

I forgot that, aside from a few scenes, I don't find this movie that funny. The first movie is consistently entertaining and feels just the right length. The second movie feels like it draws out most of the scenes, making it be more about displaying the next 'cool' special effect rather than delivering good jokes. Also, Death is often more awkward than funny in his acting.

The ending almost makes up for all of its shortcomings. It feels like a worthy finish to the epic tale of Bill & Ted.

...oh wait. It is not the end now, is it? :awesome:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Hippolyta killing her son (whose name escapes me). In Greek myths, killing your kin - no matter the circumstances - always ended messily for you, with the excepting of the gods committing genocide against their forebears, the Titans. In fact, it was usually the gods who made things messy for you (the ur-example of this is before the Trojan war, one Greek general sacrificed his daughter to ensure victory. When the armies returned home, his wife and her lover killed him in revenge. In response to this, the offspring of the wife and her lover killed their parents, as their mother had killed her husband).

That's not a major failing of anything. WW's version of Greek Mythology has always varied in several ways. For example, the greek gods had their asses handed to them by the new gods, and had shared an allegiance with other Gods before.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Aside from being TOTALLY crazy intense, that movie is what gave me confidence in Chris Evans making a kickass Captain America.

Have you seen Moon?

Because that & Sunshine are some of the best Hard Sci-Fi films in recent memory.

Moon is amazing, I'm going to have to go and watch it again now.

Yet to see Sunshine, but from what I hear; most people say its brilliant.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Watched "The Trotsky." Even for its premise, it was still pretty ridiculous. I mean, what else can you expect from a movie which essentially turns the Bolshevik Revolution into a 2-hour film about teenage rebellion? It was just... so over the top it just lost all believability. A lot of stuff simply did not make sense/was not convincing. I dunno, there's a bunch of movies that takes history/classic literature and applies it to a different context (in this case, high school) that work really well. This just... didn't.

Not to say it was a complete train wreck. There was a few clever directorial choices, and catching the references was mildly entertaining. It also reminded me of how I wanted to live in Montreal. Could have used some work in the script department - it would have been better had it been more subtle.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Quarantine.

What an awful fucking movie. This is why I can hardly ever enjoy horror movies anymore.

GRANDMA IS FROTHING AT MOUTH AND MAKING STRANGE NOISES. THEN SHE BITES BIG CHUNK OUT OF GUY'S NECK.

YOU FIND ANOTHER WOMAN WHO IS FROTHING AT MOUTH AND MAKING STRANGE NOISES. SHE MUST BE HARMLESS, RIGHT.

Fuck dammit people don't you ever play zombie games I mean damn show some common sense.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Zombie apocalypses have become so ingrained in the mindset of most people to the point that if a zombie outbreak ever did occur, humanity has never been in a better position to fight it of. Is it wrong that I want to see this concept explored in a movie? ;.;

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
As in they're Dangerously Genre Savvy about Zombie Apocalypses? if so, then I would like to see it explored too. Zombieland came as close to that concept sorta.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Is it wrong that I want to see this concept explored in a movie? ;.;

No. It is very, very right.

Honestly the best example I can think of where it showed people just fighting off zombies and still going about their lives normally is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I mean culling the Dreadfuls was practically an every day chore for Elizabeth.

- Wash dishes
- Scrub floor
- Stab Dreadfuls
- Make dinner

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
I actually preferred the original version of quarantine "rec" and subsequently "rec 2" cheesy mexican effects and blair witch style shooting > hollywood renditions.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
WW's version of Greek Mythology has always varied in several ways.
Good point, and one I'd overlooked.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

It was on TV, so there were a few odd cuts (like cutting around one instance of a character saying "bastard", but showing the same character saying it later).

God, I'd forgotten how good this film was. :D Great performances all round. Including Stan Winston's animatronics.

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
Fay Grim

An independent film that was funny and thrilling, but seemed to have a loose grip on the plot. Certainly worth a watch, but I just wish that the director had a firmer concept of how he wanted to execute the film as a whole.

LadyVedder

Master Vincent Glomper
The last film I viewed... I don't even remember. That's sad, haha. I'm guessing it was some strange horror movie.. yup! Now that I think of it, it was! But for the life of me I don't know the title of it :(

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Have you seen Moon?

I have seen Moon. It made me bawl like a baby. :(

Seriously when the newer clone put the dying clone into the wrecked vehicle and drove away I actually cried.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I have seen Moon. It made me bawl like a baby. :(

Seriously when the newer clone put the dying clone into the wrecked vehicle and drove away I actually cried.

/gutted at that part in Moon &
when he calls his home on Earth. SO fucked up to find out that the "real" him essentially just sold off his ability to make clones, and you're re-living his past. The most disturbing part is the fact that the original has no idea, and wasn't doing it for negative reasons, so there's a HUGE moral awkwardness to the whole thing.

In Sunshine
I was really surprised at how VERY well it sold the human drama with all the characters, and how you have really mixed feelings about Trey and Mace. You understand how Trey is unintentionally responsible for the predicament they're in, and how hard he's taking it, and as much as you hate Mace for his stubbornness, it saves them when it should, and it's impossible not to flinch when he gets his calf caught on the circuit board.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
The First Men in the Moon

An adaptation of the HG Wells book by Mark Gatiss (Doctor Who, "The Lazarus Experiment"). I don't feel that qualified to comment too heavily on it as I haven't read the original book, but I did enjoy it. Gatiss added two bookend segments set sometime after the Wells' narrative: namely, 1969.

Good story, good characters,
Selenians are interesting aliens
, Cavorite is now embedded in my subconscious, and the capsule has the sort of Victorian steampunk look of Paul McGann's TARDIS (but nowhere as spacious, of course).

Very enjoyable way to spend my evening. :)

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
The Lovely Bones

Not quite that lovely, actually. This movie doesn't know what story it's trying to tell. Can't make up its fucking mind on what tone it's playing at either. There's a comic drunken grandma sequence smack dab in the middle of the family mourning the 14 yr old daughter who's not only raped & killed, but also missing. Like seriously, WTF?

This entire movie is pointless. Cringe-worthy narration and resolution. Worst music choice in a pivotal scene ever(when all the dead girls gather in Heaven/Limbo/Whatever). So fucking jarring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom