Last Film You've Seen

Assault of the Sasquatch.

It was filmed on what seemed like a home video camera and has a scene where a girl with a butterfly knife and a riot shield beats the shit out of sasquatch (the middle of the film). I dont think I need to say more.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Dogma

I have to say that the film makes some very good theological points on how the majority of "Christians" treat their "faith". Also, hilarious.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Zombieland

Hmm...it was ok but I didn't really give a shit about any of the characters except Bill Murray and he was only in it for 5 mins. 5/10

and

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Quite good, but not as good as the book. I guess these things depend on which version you see first like. 8/10

and

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva

Now then, I only counted about 10 puzzles in this! Not good enough. Plot was the usual batshit craziness but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Shits all over The Da Vinci Code 6.5/10

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
Everyone needs to go watch Ink RIGHT NOW! It came out last year and will go completely unnoticed if you all do not make the effort. ;-;

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Someone put me through this Pokemon movie recently

84PalpatineSpeechFinalcopy.png

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Iron Man 2 - remember when movie sequels used to use Roman numerals to denote which film in the series it was? I think this is a sign of dumbing down. Anyway...

It was as good as the first Iron Man film, but only just. If the ending battle wasn't just an amped up version of the original's, it could have been better. Some of the character arcs didn't make sense, especially
Stark's outburst at his party. It pretty much came out of nowhere (yes, he was near critically ill - which, by the by, we could have done with being shown some signs of rather than just some make-up for his veins - but there'd been no sign of him thinking that sort of thing would be a good idea up until that point). It seemed really dumb considering this hearing was going on about how suited he was to pilot the suit

Both the senator leading the senate hearing and Hammer were cringingly believable, especially Hammer's
refusal to accept responsibility for any of it at the end

The mythology gags were a little heavy-handed at times, and only seemed to be there as a wink and a nod. Taking this alongside the characters it introduced into the film universe, it trod a thin line between making it all work, or being another X-Men: The Last Stand, or X-Men Origins: Wolverine (haven't seen Spidey 3 yet, so can't comment on that one).

It worked. Just. But at times, it felt like it broke from the film to advertise the upcoming Marvel movies.
Someone put me through this Pokemon movie recently

84PalpatineSpeechFinalcopy.png
Fuck you, man. ;.; That film is awesome, way better than the shitty Pokemon films since the first one.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Fuck you, man. ;.; That film is awesome, way better than the shitty Pokemon films since the first one.

I'll admit, it is better than the older ones :monster: but really, is that anything for them to be proud of?

There is the certain harmless charm to the movie, but honestly I did not get taken along for the ride as much as I thought I would and got confused midway between the sentient robots and the crystallised man or something as well as the World Tree from Kalimdor.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
I'll admit, it is better than the older ones :monster: but really, is that anything for them to be proud of?

There is the certain harmless charm to the movie, but honestly I did not get taken along for the ride as much as I thought I would and got confused midway between the sentient robots and the crystallised man or something as well as the World Tree from Kalimdor.
Considering that most people don't pay the franchise any attention any more? I'd say rising above the standards they had been at is admirable.

But I can't see how you could have got confused.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
What you speak, Hazzy? the Second Pokemon film would always be the best of these crappy films. xD

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kick-Ass. Let's get Chloe Grace Moretz out of the way: she steals nearly every scene she's in. Although, considering that the majority of the cast give only an average performance, that doesn't say very much.

Mark Strong's turn as Frank D'Amico is certainly strong enough, but it doesn't affect my reservations about him being slated to play Hector Hammond in the upcoming Green Lantern film either way. I also enjoyed Jason Flemyng's small role (the lobby goon who is so sympathetic towards Hit Girl).

LOL at the Scott Pilgrim name drop, though. XD
What you speak, Hazzy? the Second Pokemon film would always be the best of these crappy films. xD
No way. Mewtwo Strikes Back and Metwo Returns FTW. XD

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
^ Lol I saw that Scott Pilgrim name drop too. I can't believe they used DC names too, isn't it supposed to be an M-Rated Marvel film liek?

I must protest! The second was just epic compared to the lame and mistakes/bad portrayal of Mewtwo made in the first film.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Although, considering that the majority of the cast give only an average performance
I don't think you're giving enough credit to Nicholas Cage's absolutely batshit bananas performance in that film :P

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
^ Lol I saw that Scott Pilgrim name drop too. I can't believe they used DC names too, isn't it supposed to be an M-Rated Marvel film liek?

I must protest! The second was just epic compared to the lame and mistakes/bad portrayal of Mewtwo made in the first film.
IIRC, Marvel published the first few issues of Kick-Ass, but they dropped it before the end of the run. As Mark Millar had made sure he owned all the rights to the title, he was able to take it to another publisher.

Besides (again, IIRC), the only DC characters mentioned are Batman and Superman. They're such a part of pop culture, I don't think there's any issue with Marvel referencing them (in one issue of Marvel Team-Up, Spidey compares riding in Moon Knight's helicopter as being like getting a lift with Batman. Which makes it a wall-banger in DC/Marvel crossovers when no-one recognises Supes and Bats). :P

The second Pkmn film was good, but it was driven by plot - any Pokemon could have taken Lugia's place and it would have worked. The first was driven by character, and so, rocked. Pokemon movie rankings are as follows:

1) Mewtwo Strikes Back (first theatrical release) / Mewtwo Returns (OVA)
3) Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (eighth theatrical release)
4) The Power of One (second theatrical release) / Spell of the Unown (third theatrical release)
6) The Legend of Thunder (OVA; Raikou and G/S/C player trainers)
7) The rest
x) The Mastermind of the Mirage Pokemon (OVA) - IT HURTS
I don't think you're giving enough credit to Nicholas Cage's absolutely batshit bananas performance in that film :P
:huh: What? No, that wasn't Nic Cage. The acting was too good. Srsly.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

FINALLY! Game time started!

The movie started weak, I was almost tempted to stop as it was boring initially but had a decent introduction. The moment Scott encounters Ramona, it's when things start to kick in, from the moment Matthew came in as well to the fight with Lucas Lee. But I couldn't help but notice Scott seemed too .... timid compared to his comic book counterpart, I don't see Scott in Michael Cera for some reason, it's just that his role in Arrested Development seems to be stuck in my head whenever he fights an ex. Made worse at the climax when
NEGA SCOTT Appears
, it wasn't as epic as I'd have hoped it to be.

All in all, it was mindless fun and had extremely epic and creative battles with the evil exes. It's a keeper for DVDs, but I was sort of disappointed with the ending. : (

The exes are well portrayed except for the twins, they had no lines whatsoever and I didn't miss em. They did have bigger roles in the comic, which I'm tempted to read soon just to see the differences. Arguably the battle between Todd and Scott or Sex Bob-Omb and Katayanagi twins are tied in the most epic battles of this movie, I have a thing for the sheer epicness of an event so I find it really good. Matthew Patel's battle was meh, but the actor did put up a good act which is impressive. I'm just glad the battle lasted longer and gave a solid warm up for Scott as to who he was up against.

"The Seventh Seal" (1957)

One of those movies, I am told, that you just have to see. Considering the setting, Swedes dressed up as 15th century people, the movie amazes me. I usually hate Swedish movies, but coupled with English subtitles it was watchable.

Great dialogue and contemplation about life and death (mostly death) that will move anyone. For someone like me, who thinks of his own mortality almost all the time, the movie's subject matter resonated with me.
Again, the dialogue is beautiful and like music to my ears. I find myself reciting the conversations between the knight and Death.
I also liked that the movie did not take religion's side and instead for most part reflected on the despair associated with having only faith and no confirmation.

I recommend this to anyone.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Excellent movie to wrap up an excellent trilogy. The actress who plays Lisbeth does is absolute perfection, and the series as a whole is not afraid of bringing out the edgier and nastier aspects of the books, which is something I can't see the upcoming Hollywood version really doing.

All in all, the books were quite a bit better, but that's to be expected when adopting several-hundred page novels to a two-and-a-half hour movie format. Though several subplots were cut, the movies really took the central plots and ran with them. I recommend anyone who's read the books to watch the series - and if you haven't read the books (starting with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) I recommend those too.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
@MUMBLE, RE: SCOTT PILGRIM --

The comic is much better, but in Edgar Wright's defence, when he started filming, the content of volumes 5 and 6 hadn't been written yet. There were a few on-set rewrites to make allowance for developments in the comics, though.

But yeah,
Nega-Scott
was a bit abrupt in his timing. :P

Made worse at the climax when
NEGA SCOTT Appears
, it wasn't as epic as I'd have hoped it to be.
I could get into a big thing about how the first encounter with Gideon was how a normal movie would end but they said F that and rewrote it for how it would have helped him grow as a person in real life.

Nega Scott is just an extension of that, in a normal movie he would have beat his dark side and horay! You cant do that though, you need to embrace your dark side as its a part of you, it cant be beaten.
Throughout the whole movie Scott is fighting the dark version of himself, running from his problems, attempting to beat the dark side of his personality by trying to ignore it and fight it with compliments (Knives. there's also the part where he and Knives are playing DDR and he comments on how he can never beat Nega Ninja) At the end of the movie he fesses up to his faults, embraces them as being a part of him, and has the physical manifestation of that conflict.

It works as a little joke, and a final note to a major theme of the film.

Last edited:

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
I just got back from the movies, after seeing Skyline.

Wow... I actually really liked this movie :D! Was pretty entertaining and interesting, not to mention the disturbing-ness of the aliens. The ending was a bit of a twist too :P. I'd recommend this movie for those who generally like alien movies, overall and I think it's worth at least one watch. Check it out when you can, I'd like to know what you guys think. ^_^

~ Raz

Top Bottom