Last Film You've Seen

Ghost X

Mission Impossible 4 was better than expected, if what you expected was Mission Impossible 3.

I can't really remember MI3, but my memory is telling me it wasn't a bad film either. The approach to both were quite different. I think its just an excuse to make an action film in that universe.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Sherlock Holmes 2

akljdfklajdf robert downey jr i want to do terrible things to that man

oh, right, yeah it was pretty good and stuff, really enjoyed it, biggest complaint is that they didn't give Noomi Rapace nearly enough shit to do

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Honestly, going in I did not expect it to live up to the Swedish version, but I was proven very wrong. Excellent job, Rooney Mara did an amazing job as Lisbeth and I can't wait for the next 2. Also, opening credits reminded me very much of Bond films.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Fright Night remake

Why haven't you people seen this? Its a good movie. Done well. Refreshing to have a vampire that says fuck it and just enjoys being a vampire.
There's a great part involving a shovel that I just love. He tries something, doesn't work, so he calmly proceeds to do the complete opposite of subtle cause fuck it, it'll work.

Saw this a while back, and it was GREAT!!!!! David Tennant is fucking hilarious(ly vulgar) in this as well.

Mission Impossible 4 was better than expected, if what you expected was Mission Impossible 3.

Tom Cruise's "NO SHIT!" line pretty much made my day. (This was also the second to last film I saw)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I haven't read the book, so I can't compare the two, but the film was pretty amazing. It was dark, toxic, and I found it surprisingly sexual. And, Rooney Mara really makes that transformation that leaves you in awe. The film was pretty long tho.

REALLY want to see this, but haven't yet.

The Darkest Hour

Another one of those films that I love to love, even though it's not super fantastic. Timur Bekmambetov really just manages to fill in the Russian badassery that really makes me love the movie, even if the effects aren't particularly impressive... and a lot of other things aren't well-executed.

X :neo:

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Sherlock Holmes 2:Really good film, enjoyed it a great deal although at the end I just felt like they could have done without any of the gypsy cast.
Downey was amazing as usual and really enjoyed the final battle of wits between moriarty and Holmes :P

AvecAloes

Donator
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Honestly, going in I did not expect it to live up to the Swedish version, but I was proven very wrong. Excellent job, Rooney Mara did an amazing job as Lisbeth and I can't wait for the next 2. Also, opening credits reminded me very much of Bond films.

^^This. I too did not know how it would measure up to the Swedish version, but to be honest...I think I liked it even more. I had read an interview somewhere while they were still filming that quoted Fincher (I believe, anyway) saying that the ending was going to be completely different, and that made me really leery, but it wasn't really terribly fundamentally different than the book, and I really liked that they stuck to the book with all of the 'extra' story after the mystery of Harriet had been solved.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
A Matter of Size

An Israeli film about 4 guys who decide to become sumo wrestlers. Definitely not your typical movie but I really enjoyed, had some hilarious lines and all-in-all was just really well done.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
The Devil Inside

this movie was awful. don't go see it.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I saw the original Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on TV last night, pretty good stuff.

And then Enter the Dragon (the Bruce Lee movie) was on another channel
Oh god that was so terrible, I laughed my butt off

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
The new The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

It was everything that everyone here said it was. So great.

X :neo:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Real Steel, it was ok.

Hugh Jackman made it worth it tbh :awesome:

Just watched this myself.

It was entertaining enough.

Watched Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zen too.

Action scenes were awesome but I wish there were more of them, too much melodrama, not enough Donnie Yen ass kicking.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I watched the original girl with the dragon tattoo, and when exactly did it get disturbing?

Good film none the less.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
It is. Also, I don't really think it was much of a surprise :awesome:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Source Code

AKA Endless Eight: The Movie. For those of you who don't get the reference, let me explain: in the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series of light novels, anime and manga, there is a story arc called Endless Eight, wherein time repeats itself, nigh endlessly. When it came to depicting this in the anime, they showed eight consecutive episodes with subtle differences. A few scenes would be absent in any particular episode, but the arc was essentially the one episode eight times over: only with an increasing sense of deja vu for the characters, and they would wear something slightly different in each episode. As you can imagine, this quickly gets irritating/mind-bending.

Source Code feels like this at first. US Army helicopter pilot, Captain Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhaal) wakes up on a commuter train, with no idea how he got there. His last memory is of flying a mission (possibly black-ops; it's mentioned later in the film that he has flown black-ops before, but never explicitly said that it was a black-ops mission) in Afghanistan, and now there is a woman sitting opposite him talking like they're old friends and calling him Sean.

Stevens steps off the train at the next platform to catch his breath. He notices an urban sprawl in the distance, and asks one of the alighting commuters what it is. With an incredulous glance, he's told it's Chicago (somehow, a pop group has grown to massive size and taken over the wor--... oh, the city Chicago? OK). Stevens reboards the train before it departs and returns to the seat he awoke in.

The woman who sits opposite him regards him with a mixture of amusement and concern. Looking out of the window, Stevens catches sight of his reflection. Startled, he excuses himself and retreats to the toilet, where, reluctantly and shakily, he checks the mirror. Another man's face stares back at him. Finding and checking his wallet, the same face stares back at him (and is indeed Sean).

Stepping out of the toilet, he bumps into the woman again. She had followed him, all amusement gone now. He's acting odd, and she's justifiably concerned. By this point, Stevens is fairly skittish, assaulted by so much that just doesn't make sense. The woman puts her hand on his arm and tells him everything's going to be okay.

Then the world explodes. OK, that was an exaggeration, it was just the train.

Stevens wakes up in a cold sweat, gasping for breath. He's strapped into a chair in the middle of a hexagonal module (BTW, those of you who saw the old sci-fi show Seven Days? It looks kinda like the time travel device from that, only military black and with cutting edge modern day tech). Another woman's voice is talking to him, calling him Captain Stevens, asking him to respond. He doesn't recognise her, so she gives him a few recall exercises. He eventually remembers her as Captain Goodwin.

However, apart from recognising Goodwin, he's as clueless about what's going on as he was on the train. She asks him some questions about the bomb and the other passengers. As he's unable to answer them, she puts him back in. After a mind-bending vision, he finds himself waking up on the train again, opposite the same woman. He comes to the conclusion that it's an extremely vivid VR exercise. Apart from finding the bomb, he pretty much makes a bigger fool of himself this time as he did before. Then the train explodes.

And so the sequence continues. Stevens finally learns the details as the film goes on. He's part of a government program called Source Code. Source Code works on the fact that human short-term memory lasts for eight minutes (OK, minor gripe here; we covered memory when I did A-Level Psychology. I can't remember the exact timespan, but I'm positive that STM lasts a helluva lot shorter than that). Using the brain patterns from one of the victims, who was a near-perfect physical match for Stevens, they are able to project him into alternative dimensions for those eight minutes, in order to discover who set off the bomb.

The reason this is so important, is that they believe that this was a "declaration of intent", and that the bomber intends to set off a dirty bomb in downtown Chicago (it's never explained why they think this - perhaps the bomber sent an email or text or something, and they were unable to trace it).

Of course, this is half the story; onboard the train, Stevens is starting to fall for Christina, the woman who's always sat opposite him. Also, he's dealing with the guilt of an argument he had with his father before he began his last tour.

The hunt for the bomber doesn't go well, with Stevens making some wrong decisions, and sometimes following orders that are about as useful as a wet paper bag ("break into the conductors' room, and grab the handgun they keep locked away" - amazingly, no-one in the military considers that the conductors might take exception to that).

There are a few twists in the story (the big one being
that Stevens is considered dead by the world at large after his helicopter was shot down on his last mission, and all that's left of him is his torso and head; the module is in fact a hallucination - it's never explained if it's one programmed into him by computer to make it easier for him to cope, or if it's entirely the work of his own mind
).

Eventually, Stevens identifies the bomber and a flawless arrest is carried out before the second bomb is detonated. Stevens requests to be sent back in once more. It has been repeated time and again that it doesn't matter who he saves in the projection, as in "the real world" they will still be dead. He decides he still wants to try.

He also requests that at the end of these eight minutes, his life support be turned off. Sure enough, in those eight minutes, he manages to remove the detonator from the bomb - and the secondary detonator - catches the bad guy, and makes life onboard the train a little bit better. During that time, he contacts his father claiming to be someone who served with Stevens, and they have a tearjerking talk. We also see him send an email to Goodwin. The eight minutes are up. Goodwin turns off the life-support...

...and Stevens is still there. He walks off with Christina, and lives Sean's life. The movie ends with Goodwin receiving an email. The first part is the first recall exercise Stevens was given. He then addresses her, and tells her about the attempted bombing, naming Source Code. He tells her that Source Code has greater potential than they thought, and that this is a new reality. She goes to speak with the scientist in charge, who has just heard about the thwarted bombing. Goodwin puts off telling him about the email, and goes down to the 'heart' of Source Code. The head and torso of one Captain Colter Stevens.

Apart from the questionable plausibility of some of the science involved, this is an astounding movie. Writer Ben Ripley and director Duncan Jones (writer/director of Moon, son of David Bowie) tell an excellent story, and the cast do incredibly well. I have to admit, I've never been a fan of Gyllenhaal's work before, but now he's older (I don't know if it's just that he's being offered different roles, or that he's grown as a person), he's a damn fine actor. All of the leads play people in this film, and the extras manage to be people, too. It's not everyday you can say that of a film.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Robocop (1987)

No, it's not the first time I've seen it. But, I haven't seen it for TEN years. About damn time I paid my respects to an old legend. It is as good as I remembered. The story is great, the pacing is great, the acting is decent, the directing makes everything interesting, the theme is KICKASS and of course, EXPLOSIONS. This movie has aged well, Robocop looks futuristic even in today's standards and I have found myself gaping more than once to the battle against stereotypes this movie went into, when said stereotypes were still in the womb.

Something that I found weird, though...

Apparently, all the officers get topless in front of their peers of both sexes without any problems. Huh. Whatever, that was nothing, so... :monster:

"Your move, creep." :neo:

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Robin Hood (2010)

I've seen it before, but when Blanchett's Marion shows up for the big battle with her boys brigade and Crowe's Robin says "For the love of God, Marion" ... it might be the worst line ever uttered in a Ridley Scott film. Mark Strong rules tho.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Beauty and the Beast 3D. For those who like Tangled the movie comes with the short film Tangled Ever After and it's hilarious.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
New Kids: Nitro

Excessive profanity? Check
Full frontal male nudity? Check
Nearly-full frontal female nudity? Check
Excessive violence, blood and gore? Check.
Retards? Check
Spastics calling people homo through a voice computer? Check
Excessive substance abuse? Check
Explicit sex scenes? Check
Bukkake? Check
Excessive liquor abuse by pregnant women? Check
Frisian zombies? Check
Government stopping the Frisian zombie horde by closing off the province with a yellow ribbon? Check
Children being jumped upon and driven across? Check

All in all, best movie EVAR!@~!@ :monster:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
The Adventures of Tintin.

This is how a movie adaptation should be. It easily catches the feel and spirit of Tintin while adding dramatic tension and suspense at just the right moments.

This isn't just a good Tintin movie, its a good movie period. If you are at all into the adventure genre, or if you read Tintin back inn the day and enjoyed it, then go watch this movie. Now.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
^As a life-long Tintin fan (I've read every book multiple times), I completely agree. I was seriously sceptical about it, but decided to give it a go anyway, and ended up really enjoying it. It wasn't perfect - Tintin's character in particular seemed lifeless - but everyone around him was so colourful that it more than made up for it. I saw it in 2D and I don't think my experience suffered one iota because of it.

But the film I went to see today was... 50/50. I don't think I've ever been to see a film that managed to make me both laugh so much and cry so much. A seriously moving story, filled with moments of brilliant humour. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (or Tommy from 3rd Rock from the Sun, as I will always know him) is rapidly becoming my favourite actor. First Inception, now this - two completely different films on completely different scales, but he manages to shine in both of them. Strongly recommended.

Edit: 100th post! :joy:

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
^As a life-long Tintin fan (I've read every book multiple times), I completely agree. I was seriously sceptical about it, but decided to give it a go anyway, and ended up really enjoying it. It wasn't perfect - Tintin's character in particular seemed lifeless - but everyone around him was so colourful that it more than made up for it. I saw it in 2D and I don't think my experience suffered one iota because of it.

But the film I went to see today was... 50/50. I don't think I've ever been to see a film that managed to make me both laugh so much and cry so much. A seriously moving story, filled with moments of brilliant humour. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (or Tommy from 3rd Rock from the Sun, as I will always know him) is rapidly becoming my favourite actor. First Inception, now this - two completely different films on completely different scales, but he manages to shine in both of them. Strongly recommended.

Edit: 100th post! :joy:

Don't forget the glory and magnificence that was G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra [/sarcasm]

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Warrior (2011)

It's an MMA movie with the brothers fighting in the final of a grand prix style tournament (4 fights in 2 nights) who haven't seen each other since childhood because their dad is an alcoholic asshole. Joel Edgerton's the white hat, trying to do right by his tow-headed wife (Jennifer Morrison) and daughters, former UFC fighter who retired to become a physics teacher. He needs the prize money cause times are tough. Tom Hardy is the black hat, the insular former marine who may has scars from childhood and war. He enlists his father to train him. Dad's played by Nick Nolte, the wife beater turned 12 stepper who found religion and sobriety much too late for his sons. It all comes together in the final round for this cliched, but emotionally resonant film.

Special props to Kurt Angle as the Fedor/Zangief inspired Koba.

Best Quote: Paddy Conlon: No women for me anymore, Tommy.
Tom Conlon: Yeah. Must be tough to find a girl who could take a punch nowadays.

Not as good as Redbelt, but much better than my initial impression from the trailer.

Top Bottom