Last Film You've Seen

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
No let's talk about everything else wrong with it.

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Thor

I thoroughly enjoyed it very much and thought it was a fun ride :D. Granted it probably didn't have everything it needed in the movie, it was well-paced and didn't overuse the effects, imho. It probably could've been a little longer in time length to further expand the supporting characters (i.e. Jane's father and Thor's friends), but it was still a good watch. ^_^

EDIT: Just for irony,
as Loki was a character in the movie, I find it funny that my forum username and avatar are of Gabriel the Archangel from Supernatural who hides his Archangel status in a second identity, a powerful trickster named 'Loki'
xDDD.

~ Raz

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I'm pretty sure that the extent to which Thor uses special effects isn't a matter open for debate.

Sunshine

Sunshine is an odd film. A breathtakingly beautiful space voyage, with a sparsely elaborated history that forces the visuals and the strength of the drama between the characters to carry to the weight of the plot. Surprisingly enough, it all works. The lack of context we are given for the crew's mission to jump-start the dying sun does little to stop the actors portraying the gravity of their mission through their performances and interactions. We feel the desperation and urgency of their mission not through any word of exposition (this is next to non-existent) but through the subtleties in the way they look, move and talk to each other. I think the reason this works is that it feels genuinely real.

I know I've mentioned the visuals twice already, but I'm going to do so again because sweet fucking christmas this movie is gorgeous. The masterful contrast of the dark of space and the simultaneously wondrous and frightening enemy of the sun, the sleek and real look of the spacecraft itself and truly unique, weird and disturbing things that the film does with its lighting in the third act are make for a stunning visual experience no matter what you make of the eventual story, that does unfortunately take a backseat.

I can understand the complaints directed towards this films story. The first half feels like a sort of sombre, slow paced character study, whilst the last act goes bananas as the film ramps up the claustrophobia and horror elements very quickly, and this kind of genre whiplash can be too much, too fast for some viewers. I get that, but I don't agree with it. I for one was totally drawn in by the atmosphere and zig-zagging nature of the film's narrative. It was a neat comparison to the increasingly frayed and disjointed mental state of the film's characters as the more screwed up they became, the more things popped up to screw them over.

One area that I thought was a bit weak was the final scene in particular. If you don't pay very close attention to some of the stuff they tell you early on about the exact methodology of the plan
(or rather, the lack of one)
, then it could come across as pointlessly overphilosophising, or just plain confusing. But I did like it, and I loved the film as a whole. It has knocked Moon right off its podium for me as the best sci-fi story in recent memory and gets a massive recommendation from me.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Thor -
Pish utter.

The entire plot lacked any meaning other than OMG HE WAS THROWN TO EARTH AND NOW HAS A SOULLLLLLL
Natalie Portman, I mean WTF was she even doing in the film?

The only character I so much as even had a hint of liking was loki and even then it wasn't the character I was expecting to come through as the main protagonist in the avengers.

If this is a prelude of the Avengers movie then I think it's safe to say the film will be wank.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
The Hangover Unrated

...I'm not entirely sure I was supposed to watch that at all. But it was really funny. :monster:

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Priest

Holy crap, I seriously loved this damn movie :joy:! I feel it was well-paced, didn't try to shove anything down your throat and showed what it needed to as well as the nice action, wasn't overdone or drawn out too long either. I think it has a lot of potential to be a good franchise if they stick to how they did this one, granted there seems to be a lot of differences with the Korean Comic is was apparently based on, but I think it's awesome so far.

Paul Bettany was just awesome in this movie, imo he fit the role well. If they do more for this possible franchise, I hope he maintains this role and doesn't get replaced. I'll be a mad wolf if they do. Here's to really hoping it doesn't degenerate into a more generic action type, tho I'll prolly still like it, it would take away from how this first one was made and didn't pull any cheesy shit. God I hope they don't screw this up ><. Seriously, 9/10 for me.

~ Raz

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Fast Five is the best, funniest action film I've seen in the last five years.

I'd go into more detail but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone.

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
^ So it's not just some street racing fetishistic jerkoff like 2 or 3? :monster:

Ghost X

LOTR extended edition. I could not tell what was extended or what wasn't, as I barely remember most of the normal trilogy, because ITS FUCKING LONG.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
LOTR extended edition. I could not tell what was extended or what wasn't, as I barely remember most of the normal trilogy, because ITS FUCKING LONG.

Your pathetic attention span disappoints me son

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
Sully, Nine, Huntress, Relm Arrowny, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Jon Snow, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Cissnei
Just finished watching Elizabeth cause we have it here on DVD

gorgeous movie, amazing acting, love it

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Watched The Matrix on TV last night.

Funny how 1999 was a day and age where people had to explain on-screen what EMP stood for :awesomonster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Priest

Man, this film has little homages to everything.

The opening scenes are very much reminiscent of Blade Runner with the tall dark buildings, and the messages, lowering into the city in the (ash) rain. The Hive scenes were very reminiscent of Aliens, not to mention there's a character named Hicks.

And then comes the FFVII parts:

The style of Motorcycles, the dystopian walled-in cities permanently blocked from sunlight by the clouds, trains, the Priests seem somewhat SOLDIER-y, and last but not least: the Priestess even found work in SECTOR SEVEN. I kept thinking of those old fake FFVII-2 scans from 2003 with the shaved head Cloud (though I'll be damned in I can find that image, because the site that hosted it http://ffwa.org doesn't have it anymore).

I really liked how it builds the world really well, introducing how the Vampires operate, that the humans believe that they have no eyes, and thus no souls. That there are Familiars, Vampires, Hive Guards, and a Queen. Plus, when you finally get the Human-Vampire from a Priest, he's continually stronger than our main character. It's a short story, but overall I was really pleased with the film, but admittedly know little to nothing of the comic.

Also - hooray for the opening by Genndy Tartakovsky.

X :neo:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I thought your promised to leave and never come back if I proved that dude was me, Username?

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
PossiblyPROFITadj.jpg

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
So the extent of your argument against it is 'lol'. I used to think I had no respect for you, but I think that somehow the lack of respect plummeted into the negative respect area.

Top Bottom