Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Fangu

Great Old One
So in my opinion, this is huge and amazing news:

The Japanese version of the game will have an option for English subtitles.

This potentially means the English version will FINALLY have Japanese voices. It also means if there's a wait between releases I can buy the Japanese version and just play it with subtitles :monster:
AAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAA

FINALLY
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to play a recent ff game with the original voices. Animes and games makes so much more sense to me when they're in their original language. Subtitles don't have to pay attention to whether the words will sound good or not in audio or if it'll fit the lip synch, often leading to a more true translation.

This made my day like a million!!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
XIII/XIII-2 were pretty good dubs in that respect, though. In some dubs the VA's have to talk really really fast to be able to keep up, which sounds lame :monster:.

Fangu

Great Old One
Yes without a doubt they are excellent dubs. But subs > dubs. Always for me. This might be due to the fact that dubbing is something you only do for childrens movies in my country.

Mwynn

Tenderness
Mooar new info:

-To travel between places quickly you can use the monorail system, or just go walking.
-Things are connected in a typical open-world-like fashion.
-They're working on expanding the world right now.
-They began by laying out each map and now each is going through various adjustments.
-Regarding each continent, they're doing each one by one and now they're having fun figuring out how to connect them.
-In Final Fantasy XIII, each day had 26 hours, but since stuff happened the time of each day has diminished to 24.

-The game ends in 13 days, as we all know, but whether you can go beyond 13 days or not is a secret. If you play skillfully you can clear the game in about 2 or 4 days.
-Because of that there are many different ways to get to the ending.
-While the ending doesn't really change, the things that happen before like events and such do, which makes multiple playthroughs fun.
-Battles are controlled via pushing buttons, this way you don't have to pay attention to menu selections but you do have to keep a close watch over your ATB bar.

Monsters will appear both in and around the city. At certain times, black haze will appear in certain areas which signifies a new monster territory. Approximately half of the game’s monsters are new, so you’ll still encounter some familiar types from the previous two games.

Those worried about possible scenario DLC after XIII-2′s cliffhanger ending, rest easy – Motomu Toriyama says that the end of this title can be experienced within one singular package. Kitase guarantees that you’ll also find satisfaction by the outcome of stories for the other FFXIII characters who don’t seem to play a big role this time around.

From Famitsu

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I am not liking Lightning's new outfit. It just seems a little off to me. Ah, well. As long as some people find it appealing!

A little off?

Is Lightning attending an Oakland Raiders game? Maybe a KISS concert.

I would go further, much further, but theres alot of Lighting Returns fans here. Dont want to step on any toes. I have to find a better/safer place to vent out all this steam that has been building up inside me since the launch of XIII way back when.

AvecAloes

Donator
I think clowd was actually agreeing with Pyrefly's sentiments, actually, Mwynn, and I didn't read anything in clowd's post that was really all that bad :P I'm also of the opinion that the outfit is weird. In the details that I believe Shakarian posted, I think it mentioned being able to change equipment and armor and stuff, especially in connection to the different fighting styles/paradigms, so I'm hoping that at least some of the alternate outfits are a little less...weird, in my opinion.

It's sounding like the new battle system will be a little like Xenosaga I's, eh?

Fangu

Great Old One
tumblr_mfkm2ni6vK1r8uo3io1_500.png

From http://textsfromffxiii.tumblr.com/

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45837255&postcount=2048 said:
The full interview has been posted online on Famitsu.com: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201212/29026849.html what we had before were basically the key points as interpreted by the people who leak the magazine and there are some new things...

-Chocolina is in the game to support the player but in a different role than the one she had in FFXIII-2.

-While Lightning's FFXIII-2 outfit was designed by Kamikokuryo, the new one is by Tetsuya Nomura. Toriyama wanted to emphasize the red and white present in Lightning's FFXIII outift, and using that as a base the new one was born.

-In this game, once the game begins the world ends in 13 days, but coinciding with its end is also the birth of a new world. Lightning's task as a "liberator/releaser of souls" is to guide them to the new world.

-Lightning's clothes are the clothes of a soul liberator, and the clothes and task are given by Bhunivelze. That's because while the "crystal myth" involves many gods, out of the ones that are concerned in the "Lightning Saga", Bhunivelze is the only one who hasn't made an appearance.

-The people of Luxerion quietly await the end, however, a bunch of serial murders start happening, these are apparently committed by a group of people who oppose Bhunivelze's creed.

-As previously stated, each of the game's four continents has its own concept associated with it. Luxerion's is "murder", because they wanted it to have a mystery component aimed at slightly more mature audiences.

-While people know the world is coming to end, they don't know only 13 days remain.

-Chocobos are still in and you still can ride them.

-Unlike FFXIII and FFXIII-2 where to stagger an enemy all you had to do was fill up an enemy's chain gauge, this time you have to fulfill a bunch of other conditions besides that.

-This time there are no QTEs.

-New equipment can be bought from the various vendors in the game, or made if you have the right components.

-Apparently "decorations" like the sunglasses Lightning is seen with in the latest trailer are in the game.

-Lightning's growth is tied to completing the quests you get from people in-game. From battles you get components to make new equipment and points to alter the amount of availiable time before the end.

As sexist as this is, you men have no sense of style.

Or, at least, Bhunivelze doesn't.

I am disappointed. He did not consult the fashion deities.

Oh yes, WE HAVEN'T SEEN LINDZEI YET!!!

Splintered

unsavory tart
-Lightning's clothes are the clothes of a soul liberator, and the clothes and task are given by Bhunivelze
Man, I was certain that Bhunivelze was the big bad in this. I suppose he could be as a "omg plot twist" but how much of a plot twist is it since he's the one that started this mess.

Oh yes, WE HAVEN'T SEEN LINDZEI YET!!!
Technically, XIII started because Cocoon was Lindzei's plan (and probably part of Pulse's too). I think the statues and the female part of stage II of Orphan was suppose to look like Lindzei as well.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Man, I was certain that Bhunivelze was the big bad in this. I suppose he could be as a "omg plot twist" but how much of a plot twist is it since he's the one that started this mess.

Technically, XIII started because Cocoon was Lindzei's plan (and probably part of Pulse's too). I think the statues and the female part of stage II of Orphan was suppose to look like Lindzei as well.

But the Ultimania said that's not what Lindzei looks like, or acts like (to a degree). As well, Lindzei is usually spoken of in the male, except for that one Analect where Lindzei is referred to as a succubus. I would have to ask someone - what's the Japanese word used in that Analect. Perhaps it was not correctly given the female designation? I just... we never really got Lindzei.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Honestly, I like the idea that we never get to see one god in its entirety, it's just as telling just to see how different people and beings react to them.

Lindzei and Pulse ended once the fal'cie involvement ended. And after this I doubt the fal'cie will ever make an appearance against considering end of the world is what they were made for.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I don't mind if the deities stay somewhat in the background; anonymous, omnipotent beings occasionally do stuff, while lesser beings (fal'cie) fuck shit up, and lesserer beings (l'cie) fuck said lesser beings up. With least beings (humans an' shit) run around panicked, :monster:

From what I've seen, they're definitely making the gameplay even more action-oriented than XIII-2; more platform elements, and a combat system that, from what I just read in this thread, doesn't involve a command menu or a queue of actions. I don't mind, but I'll expect FF purists to come in and bitch about it shortly, :monster:

Mwynn

Tenderness
But the Ultimania said that's not what Lindzei looks like, or acts like (to a degree). As well, Lindzei is usually spoken of in the male, except for that one Analect where Lindzei is referred to as a succubus. I would have to ask someone - what's the Japanese word used in that Analect. Perhaps it was not correctly given the female designation? I just... we never really got Lindzei.

I just referred to Lindzei as male just from the fact that in all the statements about the Gods before Etro was the only one referred to as the Goddess.

Anyways, a more complete translation of the Famitsu report has been published by Nova Crystallis. I'll put in my own comments in between the quotes.

Famitsu took another turn with the Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII development staff in an all-new interview this week. With the title expected to launch some time in 2013, Director Motomu Toriyama, Producer Yoshinori Kitase, and Game Design Director Yuji Abe sat down to discuss new and future developments for the final chapter in Lightning’s journey.

The advent of the Internet means that user reaction is more visible than ever – something even further advanced by the popularity of social networks like Facebook. Following the official announcement in September and the launch of the teaser site, Kitase noticed that the majority of people writing comments were actually from overseas. But what kind of things were fans asking?

“I want to hurry and see a trailer,” or “What happened to characters from the other games?” just to give a couple examples. The former has already been answered now, but the question of other characters remains. Even though the player will only take control of Lightning this time around, main characters from the previous two games will have their own episodes which will conclude in a manner that will satisfy users, according to Kitase.

"Own episodes", huh. I'm glad he clarified this specifically but I'm worried how they'll be done.

Famitsu noted at least one returning character present in the recently released screenshots already – Chocolina. She is said to be there supporting the player once again, but instead of a shop keeper, she’ll fill a much different role.

I was thinking that maybe this time she'd take on the role akin to that of a "Fat Chocobo" from certain previous games since they did say there is a limit on how many items Lightning can carry around with her.

The concept of LRFFXIII came about from an effort to extend the current FFXIII saga, which includes FFXIII, XIII-2 and its associated downloadable content as well as various novels. All of this was conceptualized once the team started work on FFXIII-2. The character of Lightning has continued to appear in each entry, with each game becoming something fresh each time. As such, Kitase says that there is this sort of “obsessive fixation on Lightning,” with the one concept being the “rebirth of Lightning.” It’s for that reason why they chose to call the game LRFFXIII as opposed to FFXIII-3.

Lightning’s revival has seen her appear in a new costume – the likes of which have finally been revealed. For XIII-2, Art Director Isamu Kamikokuryou designed Lightning’s armor, but for her final outing, character designer Tetsuya Nomura was tasked to create something different. Toriyama wanted to emphasize the red and white components of her FFXIII outfit, so using that as a base, her new look was born. Using the color red in the linings, he wanted to create something of an impact. The final result is about half white and half red.

The outfit itself is quite revealing in the battle scenes. Toriyama says that the costume gives different impressions whether it’s in motion or at rest. “When the cape is fluttering, it looks great!”

lol tori pls

The outfit itself has a certain history. This time, Lightning has been burdened with the role of being a “liberator.” Her clothing was given to her by a god as was the role itself. But who has given her this mysterious task?

Toriyama reminds us that the world of LRFFXIII ends within 13 days, but at the same time a new world will be reborn in its place. Bhunivelze, a god of the crystal, is the one who bestows the liberator their task of guiding souls to this new world. In XIII-2, Lightning was the knight of the goddess Etro, but here she now embodies the will of Bhunivelze. While the crystal mythology of Fabula Nova Crystallis involves many gods, out of the ones concerned with the “Lightning Saga,” Bhunivelze will be the last to appear.

In all honesty I was a bit disappointed that Bhunivelze's role became like that in this game but I find it unsurprising. I've always had him in my head as the main antagonist because 1.) he was the one who initiated all this mess 2.) I jumped into the conclusion that he would hate humans because they all carry the fate of dying and Bhuni loathes death therefore he can wipe out all mankind once he wakes up, and 3.) He wanted the world for himself.

But then I remember discussing this with Leaferian sometime ago and he reminded me of Bhuni's motive for ALL of his actions, which has always been about saving the world from dying. Perhaps over time he realized that there's no other way but to entrust to the currently strongest human (Lightning) the job to save the world. There's a missing piece here, of course, and that is Lindzei and Pulse's whereabouts. Well, what happened to Lindzei is more important because he was tasked to wake up Bhuni at the end of time, so he should appear at some point in LR unless he uhh, died/faded away. Although... the fact that Bhuni couldn't wait to wake up OR has realized that Mwynn has actually been swallowed by Chaos and is forever gone (?? we're not sure of this yet) and entrusted the job to Lightning in the end suggests the former. If Lindzei does live, then he is a possible antagonist as he may be pissed off from the fact that his father entrusted the job to a human who himself only saw as a tool.

All we know about Lindzei and Pulse so far is that they are in crystals in another dimension and only come out in their true forms when a human is transported to that dimension by a fal'Cie and branded to be a l'Cie. The most recent l'Cie we know is Snow, branded by Pulse.

Now we know for sure though that the new deity who is supposed to oppose Lightning is not Bhunivelze. Hm.

The world has become known as Novus Partus – a place that lived on following the Chaos that was unleashed into the visible world. There are four continents, each with their own look and feel. On one of the continents rests the city of light, Luxerion – a place where residents quietly wait for the end of the world. However, serial murders start occurring around town by a certain organization – one that aims to oppose the liberator and Bhunivelze’s creed.

That liberator is Lightning and Toriyama says she is the only one there is, but everyone does not know that yet. Perhaps then, are these events being orchestrated to lure Lightning out? Without revealing too much, Toriyama says that each continent will have its own theme. The theme of Luxerion is “murder” because the team wanted it to be more appealing to a mature audience.

500 years have passed since the end of XIII-2 but people seem to have become unaware of that fact. Additionally, the cycle of life has been interrupted in this world. No new children can be born, nor can people die from age. The people in this situation have come to realize that the world is going to end, however, unaware of the 13 day deadline.

Luxerion is one of the cities present in the beginning of the game, and will be the first of four continents that you can explore according to Toriyama. The layout of the map is nearing completion, with necessary adjustments to the game being made here and there.

When asked about the other three continents, Toriyama played it safe. Telling readers to “look forward to it,” he referenced the concept art of Novus Partus while reminding us that each will be revealed in separate announcements.

Exploration seems to be playing a big part of LRFFXIII. With each continent connected by monorail, Lightning can travel the world over. You can walk around freely if you wish as well, even without having cleared a given area. As with any Final Fantasy, chocobos will also be available for riding at some point.

Chocobos better come with shades omg.

Yuji Abe touched on some of the game’s play mechanics, including action and battle elements. The addition of action game elements allows Lightning to explore environments freely, with things like treasure chests now hidden in places she must jump or climb to. There is some concern, however, due to the game’s reliance on time limits.

As the game ends in 13 days, it seems that the time to move about is limited, especially if you’re trying to explore everything. So is it possible? Abe says it’s all about trial and error.

“At the time of the Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Exhibit, we showed the alpha version and as time rapidly decreased you could sense the irritation,” says Toriyama. “We’ve since added a mechanic that will increase the remaining time in the world through quests and battles. By actively completing quests and battles, the time available to you will increase.”

Speaking of battles, if you’ve seen the latest trailer you might have noticed the user interface appears much different than the previous games. There are details Abe cannot talk about yet, but he wishes to do a little more tweaking first.

It must be said that LRFFXIII is not an action RPG, although action elements have become quite prominent throughout the game. Battle abilities can be input directly, coupled with action elements. The ATB system from FFXIII and XIII-2 have been evolved even further – the new system tentatively known internally as “amazing ATB.” Toriyama says there is more he can’t talk about yet, but each ability can be mapped to different buttons on the controller, and must be executed with the right timing in order to be effective. For example, you can master Defender-type abilities like guard or evasion in order to tackle difficult enemies.

The break/stagger system will return for LRFFXIII, but unlike XIII and XIII-2 in which the chain gauge accumulated by continuous attacks, more than one condition will be required in this new title – an element that will help players develop multiple strategies according to Toriyama.

When asked about Quick Time Events (QTEs), a feature that was put to heavy use in XIII-2, Abe says that LRFFXIII will not include them this time. There will, however, be something similar to Scene Drive.

In the previous games, Lightning wielded a gunblade for ranged fighting. Abe says that this time she will only have access to short range weapons, and that magic will fill the role of long-range attacks.

The idea of the “amazing ATB” gives the player a feel of realism and strategy all in the same, according to Kitase. The previous two titles had three people per party, although two of the NPCs were controlled mostly by AI. Despite the reliance on Lightning as a solo player, it still feels as if you’re controlling a multiple man team. Much of the battle system remains to be seen, so we’ll have to wait patiently for more information.

Enemies will appear in unexpected places, which Abe says will cause a feeling of tension. Enemy types vary depending on the time of day, with even stronger monsters showing up at night. Moreover, special occurrences known as “eruptions of Chaos” will signal the coming of even more powerful monsters, even in locations that might have been previously safe.

One such night enemy was described by Abe as a “furball bat,” and was recently officially named Gappuru (Niblet in English). Another new monster is known as Anubys, and even more are said to be in the game. Toriyama explains that this time approximately half of the enemies that appear will be new, although he hasn’t been able to determine an exact number yet.

Abe says that range will not affect the outcome of a battle. For example, if you select “Attack” Lightning will move automatically. LRFFXIII’s battle system will require you to switch commands depending on the situation, and if you had to factor in something like distance, then it might get a little complicated. Rather than range, Abe says it’s important to observe the enemy in order to find the right strategy to defeat it. You’ll want to watch an enemy’s specific movement, especially for those bigger monsters. Once you know the state it’s in, you’ll be able to deal with it accordingly.

Lightning will have so many different costumes, weapons and other equipment available to her throughout LRFFXIII. To that end, there are many shops in the world of Novus Partus. Later on you can also gather and assemble raw materials. For the equipment you’ll have the ability to change the color of each part, so a great deal of customization comes into play. You might find yourself sucked in by the amount of time spent customizing in the menu.

Despite time continuing on and playing an important role in the game, whenever you open the menu, time will pause to allow you to fully customize Lightning. Decorations such as Lightning’s sunglasses from the trailer will also be made available.

In regards to Lightning’s growth system, for the most part it’s connected to the completion of quests given to you throughout the game by various people. Unlike the previous two games, leveling won’t be connected to battle results. Battles will net their own rewards in the form of items you can use to strengthen equipment. Points will also be given to delay the impending end of the world, although Abe says there is still a lot he can’t talk about yet.

When pressed about the possible inclusion of mini-games, Abe dodged the question somewhat, while Toriyama says that, for now, they’re focusing on the main game. For LRFFXIII, one play cycle will vary greatly depending on the player’s action. How you go about doing so is left up to the player. The current version of the game is difficult to clear because the story for each continent has taken play testers 3 to 4 in-game days to complete. Current development completion percentage sits at about 25-30% according to Abe, with development rapidly growing for the second half.

Famitsu of course looks forward to next public reveal, and have asked the team to share some closing thoughts. Abe says that creating something like a half action game, half RPG is somewhat confusing, but eventually led to the creation of the “amazing ATB.” Toriyama promises that LRFFXIII will be a complete package, as opposed to FFXIII-2 which relied on additional story DLC to wrap up any loose ends. He says that this time they revealed Lightning’s new costume, and soon they’d like to show even more of them. Kitase says that with LRFFXIII being the latest installment in the series, he’d like to deliver a fresh experience. He promises that, experience aside, the completion of the story for previous characters in the series will be wrapped up in a satisfying conclusion. He hopes you anticipate it.

I really like what I'm hearing about the gameplay so far and they have quite a lot to reveal yet.

Last edited:

AvecAloes

Donator
Dammit, I'd typed this post up but in the time it took me to do so, I was logged out. So let's try this again. Hopefully I remember everything.

“What happened to characters from the other games?” just to give a couple examples. The former has already been answered now, but the question of other characters remains. Even though the player will only take control of Lightning this time around, main characters from the previous two games will have their own episodes which will conclude in a manner that will satisfy users, according to Kitase.

The thing that makes me worry a little about this is the time constraint placed on finishing the game. Will I have enough time to complete the game AND go through everyone's episodes? Will completing these episodes be part of the side quests/missions which give the player more time upon their completion? I must know what happens to everyone else! I suppose that the short game play will lend itself more easily to multiple plays in order to find out what happens to everyone if I'm unable to do so in one play, but that makes me feel a little impatient just thinking about it. Ha.

The break/stagger system will return for LRFFXIII, but unlike XIII and XIII-2 in which the chain gauge accumulated by continuous attacks, more than one condition will be required in this new title – an element that will help players develop multiple strategies according to Toriyama...

Abe says that range will not affect the outcome of a battle. For example, if you select “Attack” Lightning will move automatically. LRFFXIII’s battle system will require you to switch commands depending on the situation, and if you had to factor in something like distance, then it might get a little complicated. Rather than range, Abe says it’s important to observe the enemy in order to find the right strategy to defeat it. You’ll want to watch an enemy’s specific movement, especially for those bigger monsters. Once you know the state it’s in, you’ll be able to deal with it accordingly.

I like the sounds of this. The new stagger system especially peaks my interest. I like games that force me to think about and build my strategy. XIII and XIII-2 did this for me, and I really liked the battle systems, and this sounds like it's just going to add to that. To me, it adds to the role-playing element of the game, making me (my character) think on their feet and adjust accordingly. I'm really excited to see this in action.

In regards to Lightning’s growth system, for the most part it’s connected to the completion of quests given to you throughout the game by various people. Unlike the previous two games, leveling won’t be connected to battle results. Battles will net their own rewards in the form of items you can use to strengthen equipment. Points will also be given to delay the impending end of the world, although Abe says there is still a lot he can’t talk about yet.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. It's so different from previous FF titles. I'm so used to winning a battle, gaining XP, leveling up. I like seeing that progression. Heck, I like seeing the number of points needed for my next level up dwindle down, and thinking about how many more battles I need to win before seeing my characters get better. As a side, I especially loved games like X where you could choose where to take your character, and what attributes to get, etc. But I suppose I'll just have to see this implemented before I can really draw any conclusions or make any judgements. I'm just a little wary at the moment.

I think that's pretty much all I said the first time I wrote this up.

Splintered

unsavory tart
That Lightning cosplay is bamf

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. It's so different from previous FF titles. I'm so used to winning a battle, gaining XP, leveling up. I like seeing that progression. Heck, I like seeing the number of points needed for my next level up dwindle down, and thinking about how many more battles I need to win before seeing my characters get better. As a side, I especially loved games like X where you could choose where to take your character, and what attributes to get, etc. But I suppose I'll just have to see this implemented before I can really draw any conclusions or make any judgements. I'm just a little wary at the moment.
I'm with you, battles = exp make more sense to me, I'm kind of worried they are trying too hard to push the envelope and messin with systems that work. Well, it'll be interesting if they manage to pull it off. It seems that time will probably be the most important commodity in the game anyway.

Honestly, time reversal just sounds like the easiest way to deal with time management issues and make them fun, like they did in MM but I guess they aren't going that route. Shame because I'm one of those people that will take my time and explore every single little thing and talk to every single character, but on the other hand, time limits freak me out and make me rush through the game.
Even though the player will only take control of Lightning this time around, main characters from the previous two games will have their own episodes which will conclude in a manner that will satisfy users, according to Kitase.
I hope they are meaningful and not just a hand wave like Sazh's in XIII-2. Also, they all should be there at the end, because they all have been there since the beginning.

AvecAloes

Donator
Splintered said:
I hope they are meaningful and not just a hand wave like Sazh's in XIII-2. Also, they all should be there at the end, because they all have been there since the beginning.

Yes. Especially point number two. They all make up the saga of XIII, and it would be a damn shame if they weren't there to wrap it up.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The growth system being connected to the completion of quests or progress in the game doesn't worry me. That's how "Chrono Cross" did it, and it worked well there.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I remember playing Chrono Cross and having no idea how the leveling system worked. Which is weird because I probably beat that game a couple of dozen times.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Lindzei and Pulse ended once the fal'cie involvement ended. And after this I doubt the fal'cie will ever make an appearance against considering end of the world is what they were made for.

They better not have ended! :( SE! Better listen to me and have the fal'Cie.

They are NOT gone! Hssssss! Anyone who says they are is getting slapped.

We got a freakin' whole heap load - or more than we did so about Pulse and Lindzei - about Etro! We need more about Lindzei and Pulse.

As said, not his real form. That is how Barthandelus envisions his parent.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
The growth system being connected to the completion of quests or progress in the game doesn't worry me. That's how "Chrono Cross" did it, and it worked well there.

It's just a shame the plot there didn't.

But yeah, Plot/ Quest based powerups is a tried and true mechanic.

Seriously, keep triggering the Majora Buttons, SE. It's a GOOD thing

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Per Siliconera:

Lightning is working for Bhunivelze.

Rebels against Bhunivelze and the 'Liberator' (ie: Lightning) wish to kill her.

Mwynn

Tenderness
I see a lot of people irked by the fact that Lightning is working for a God yet again because of how Lightning was all, "I'm no one's slave!" and "I decide my own fate!" in XIII. Admittedly I kind of feel the same too; I did see the possibility of Bhunivelze siding with the good but I was still a bit taken aback that Lightning is actually working for him as it's similar to her position in XIII-2 and contradicts her signature lines in XIII.

Despite this, the reason why I can still accept it is because of the reasoning behind it. Although technically she is still a slave to a God it is not as negatively connoted as it was in XIII (the whole l'Cie/-humans-are-dispatchable-tools-of-the-fal'Cie business) and arguably in XIII-2 (where she was practically dragged to Valhalla to protect Etroll although she did still show loyalty towards her). Both Lightning and Bhunivelze have the same goal and wish of saving the world, so despite the technicality of her being a servant she is nevertheless still acting on "her own will".

Frankly speaking they should have just said it as, "working with him" instead just because it's generally better.

Top Bottom