Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Gave up on taking down Caius for the time being, thankfully I'd saved well before entering the Temple so I didn't lose any time. Fecked off to the Dunes and
met Fang. WOO! Love Fang.
and am about to take on the main quest boss there.

I've gotten into the groove of using Chronostasis efficiently, and Eradia's very easy to get in the Wildland's and Dunes, in particular, so I've been using it a lot more liberally. T'is mildly annoying having to re-open the menu every time it expires ¬_¬ the SOLDIER 1st Class Garb is probably still my most powerful one, though it's balancing out more and more now. It was way overpowered at the beginning of the game

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Once you get used to using Army of One/Arsenal of One coupled with Artemis Arrows/Masamune (Hard Hitter / Soldier of Peace / Committal), it becomes possible to 5 Star Caius even on Hard Mode!

My best time thus far is 33 seconds. :monster:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
So...apparently sheep lay eggs O_o I love how cracked the world is in this :monster:

Finished up
Sazh's main quest
and now there's pretty much only Caius to take care of in the Wildlands. The temple still kicks my ass though =/ And he will too, most likely.

About halfway towards getting the trophy for driving 10 species to extinction. I'm actually kinda missing the Gremlin enemies, there was something very satisfying about one-hit killing them

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
So here's some more stuff I have learned:

The best times of day to look for the "Rare Forge Guy" [Forge(Rare)] (who is actually an Outfitter guy) are these times (after Day 3, after you visited an Outfitter):

9am (0900)
1pm (1300)
5pm (1700)
9pm (2100)
1am (0100)
5am (0500)

Because the game does a "cycle check every hour" (25/50/75/100) of the odds of him showing up. Sometimes he beats those odds, but most of the time he won't. In other words, based on those hours I listed, there's 100% chance of him showing up "somewhere" in the world.

Luxerion:
--North Station Plaza
--Old Town
--Arcade
--South end of Pilgrim's Causeway
--Warren

Yusnaan:
--Southwest in Glutton's Quarter
--Near the Cactuar Statue
--Back alley in Reveler's Quarter
--Pleasure Alley
--Near the Palace entrance in Augur's Quarter

Wildlands:
--Jagd Village
--Moogle Village's entrance
--Near the southernmost wreckage in Grasslands
--Eremite Plains, northwest, near the path that leads west
--On the slope southwest of Aryas Village

Dead Dunes:
--Giant's Sandbox near Giant's Head
--Grave of the Colossi near the arch to the Southeast
--Path leading to Ruffian from Grave of the Colossi
--Dead end where a Pilgrim's Crux is found in Dry Floodlands
--West look-out tower in Atomo's Sands

Eventually I got in the habit of marking the points he's crossed my path (usually once per game based on travelling habits) and marked them on my map.

If you're fast in NG+ Easy Mode, you can catch him after Day 9 and get all the rare goodies he has.

Hard Mode basically means he's going to take a while to show up so you'll probably be broke the first time you run through Hard Mode (since it has exclusive drops/synths/expensive garbs to buy/etc) unless you doggedly farm Cactuars and Meonektons.

Oh yeah and I should also mention that shops are much more convenient in Hard Mode, since all the stuff you usually can only buy on the Final Day is actually IN most of the shops.

Last edited:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Day 10, 4 days remain... (Hard Mode).

By some miracle I beat Aeronite again (with Limit Break enabled). It took me several Turbo Ethers, a Nektar Omega, and an Elixir to do it though, so I'm clearly not strong enough.

My strategy usually consists of Overclocking and just chucking Elementa at him until he Staggers, heal, then chuck more spells at him, then once he's down slap him with some debuffs and start poking him with Artemis Arrows until he tries getting back up (not easy to do by the way, he can still hit you with spells even when he's down). It takes a long time even WITH Limit Break enabled. Yeesh.

Next time I fight him, once he's staggered I'm slapping him with a maxed out Disaster Spell (about the equivalent of the spell Chaos from the Requiem DLC from FFXIII-2).

After that, I started hunting down the last of the monsters and taking care of what's left of the side quests.

Now it's 4:30 a.m. and I'm patrolling the backroads for Meonektons.

It seems that even in Hard Mode it's possible to farm these things for extended periods if you:

1. Get yourself the rare Synth ability Victory Rush (I use it on Blitz/Charge Attack on two schemata).
2. Hit all the Chaos Infusions you come across (because of the EP bonus they generate).

Not only does Chaos-infused Meonektons give you a ton of Gil (20,000 Gil a pair, and the value goes up the more days you spend farming them, I don't know the max value on Day 12/13 yet), but they're relatively easier to kill on the roads compared to fighting in Etro's Temple, and after a few fights you'll have maxed out EP even on hard mode, and maxed EP means easier to heal (heck even if you accidentally get killed, so long as you have 3 EP you can cast Arise).

On top of that they give you some really great spells and items (which you don't have to really work for since they're already Chaos Infused and can easily NOT be considered rare drops since you are farming a ton of them for Gil and not really worried about items).

Eventually I maxed out my Ability Inventory and had to sell/synthesize my remaining stock. This method makes it very easy to synthesize Grand Wizard for Ruinga (not to mention the Max ATB boosts) since you'll have a lot of them to work with with the same innate auto-abilities at Level 5.

What I did was:

since most Ruinga they drop are Level 4, you want something that costs 50 ATB to start, so max that out first, THEN level it up (the cost will go down to 42 ATB)... then do the same for another Ruinga (ideally the same ability and SAME ATB cost), and repeat until you have a bunch of Ruinga with the same ability at Level 5 with 42 ATB.

Then just save before you start synthing, and eventually you'll get Grand Wizard and won't have to worry about it falling under 40 ATB in cost (unless you want it to, but with Grand Wizard I avoid it since I want to have a constant Vigilance+Faith buff no matter what I'm casting).

So now I can use Grand Wizard + Elementa at any time along with either Soul of Minwu (Soul of Thamasa upgraded) and Sniper Gloves to pour on the damage.

Grand Wizard (on Equilibrium +) and Committal (on Soldier of Peace) is a very deadly combination, breaks/staggers nearly everything, then just use a Sentinel for healing (I use SOLDIER 1st Class due to Slayer and Mediguard with Standby ATB Charge).

At this point though, I'm not sure what weapon works best when staggering. I boosted Chaos' Revenge (Quickstagger) Magic stat, but it doesn't seem to work well on monsters with high stagger threshholds. I might try and upgrade Fang's spear (with Overclock Manual) and use that for spell staggers and see if it works any better.

Right now, I still have quite a few weapons on my wishlist, but I managed to upgrade some of my favorite Ultimates after buying them. And I'm also tempted to buy them three times over (for different upgrade routes).

It seems that upgrading Ultimate rank weapons a certain way makes them stronger than any other weapon if you focus on certain stats and not others. I maxed out Heaven's Cloud and Masaumune and compared them, and while they both have Heavy Hitter Level 3... Heaven's Cloud seems to have a higher Strength Stat even when upgraded.

That goes for other peculiar ultimate weapons too... like Hades' Fang stagger stat compared to the Overclock Manual Spear or Endless Paradox spears you get from Noel.

Depending on whether or not these Meonektons go extinct, I may farm the heck out of them until the clock hits 6 am (and the price/difficulty increases by the day, so once I get stronger I may be able to farm for gil on the last day easily).

Oh yeah, and fighting Last Ones in Hard Mode is the best way to get weapon upgrade materials (Holy Forgefires/Demonic Forgefires, etc), I maxed out Buster Sword already though I haven't tried it much.

I'm still trying to figure out how I want my ideal setups to be since I'm sick of using my current OP setup and want to give Heaven's Bridge double blade a try.

I've been stocking up on Soul Seeds, since every cycle gives you a chance to pick up an Elixir if you grab enough of them. I now have 2 to spend on my next fight with Ereshkigal (1 more upgrade to go and I'll get my Crystal Matinee Necklace). I just wish more people spread the Turbo Ether love (newbies and their X-potions, lol).

Last edited:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Ugh, Bhunivelze+ on Hard Mode is a beast.

It took all my expendable items (Elixir/Turbo Ethers/Nektar/X-Potions/Phoenix Wings) to beat him. A lot of his stuff is 1-hit kills.

And I still don't have Double Deity!!!!

Urgh.

Maybe next time I'll give Normal Mode a try.

At least I got most of my weapons/shields fully upgraded.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
So does the XIII-2 recap portion of the novel mention anything about how Snow escaped the coliseum? Click me

The original guy that translated never returned.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Based on the summary given in FF Wikia, I think they said Snow ended up working with Cactuar again for a while.

The so-called "Day of Reckoning" was the day the chaos flooded the world (i.e. the end of FFXIII-2).

After that, for about 500 years he, Noel, and Hope tried to prevent people from starting conflicts over food and resources and developed a bunch of regions up until Hope disappeared and got taken by Bhunivelze.

Around that time Fang and Vanille woke up, a bunch of people established the "church of Light" (its name escapes me) and Fang went to Dead Dunes to try and stop them from getting the Clavis.

Noel butted heads over the government in Luxerion and became a vigilante in the Warren. Snow became Yusnaan's patron (even though they were eating food generated from Chaos).

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I think Fang and Vanille woke up 13 years before LR (487 years after Etro's death) while Hope disappeared 169 years before (331 years after Etro's death).

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
Based on the summary given in FF Wikia, I think they said Snow ended up working with Cactuar again for a while.

The so-called "Day of Reckoning" was the day the chaos flooded the world (i.e. the end of FFXIII-2).

After that, for about 500 years he, Noel, and Hope tried to prevent people from starting conflicts over food and resources and developed a bunch of regions up until Hope disappeared and got taken by Bhunivelze.

Around that time Fang and Vanille woke up, a bunch of people established the "church of Light" (its name escapes me) and Fang went to Dead Dunes to try and stop them from getting the Clavis.

Noel butted heads over the government in Luxerion and became a vigilante in the Warren. Snow became Yusnaan's patron (even though they were eating food generated from Chaos).

I knew all that. I was told Snow's portion in the LR novel had like 3 pages of recaps. Link is above(the click me)

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i've just skimmed over portion that covers xiii-2, but i don't see anything about it and i don't remember it mentioning it from reading it before

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
i've just skimmed over portion that covers xiii-2, but i don't see anything about it and i don't remember it mentioning it from reading it before

Sigh :( another reason for me to be angry, its stupid for them to just "forget" about an important thing like that.

Splintered

unsavory tart
FFXIII came out today on steam and it's super nostalgic because I'm seeing posts of people trying to figure out how to fight Odin's eidolin fight.

Lex

Administrator
What the hell? That was rather fast with absolutely no build up?

I want to know more about it. Graphical setting options, controls etc.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Apparently some dude called Durante (I think?) released some patch that lets you adjust the resolution. Those feckers are quick :monster:

Splintered

unsavory tart
it's max resolution (or only resolution?) is 700p, apparently

and that's all i know
Yeah, I've seen the two biggest complaints is that it's locked at 720 for some reason and the file is ridiculously huge. I don't know the logistics of why they would keep it that way, other than it's probably a rushed out port, but eh.

Fangu

Great Old One
waitwaitwait

You can have Japanese audio with English menu and subtitles on the PC version????

Someone please find out

PLEASE

Edit: OMG YOU CAN

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

BRB BYUNG THE SHIT OT OF THIS

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
tbh I'm a bigger fan of the English voice acting. I think they're all better than the Japanese versions with the exception of Vanille (who is annoying in the Japanese version as well), and Lightning (but I really like Alli Hillis so I ignore that). I tried the Japanese version with Lightning Returns and switched back soon after.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Aye, agreed about the voice acting. The FFXIII series is to games what "Cowboy Bebop" is to anime -- both the English and Japanese casts are great, but the dub is strikingly superior.

Top Bottom