SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I went to the dark side and read some of the comments on the general spoiler thread. Was kinda shocked to see that wet blanket comment. I just would love to invite them here to discuss their view point and have a good discussion on it.

This thread has to be the best thread to discuss the LTD on the internet! I love it here. Everyone is respectful even if we have different opinions and view points. This was one of the main reasons I joined the forums a while back!

It is very welcoming here.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
I'm in Eagle x Hikaru ship lol.

EEEK~ I'm Hikaru x Lantis :P:P but lmao I was 12 when i saw magic knight rayearth
aerith and cloud are lonely individuals but
cloud was the one who isolated himself
aerith was perceived as a pariah because of her cetra lineage

- There are moments between Cloud and Aerith that may seem romantic when taken on its own, but viewed within the context of the whole narrative, ultimately reveal that they aren’t quite right for each other, and in each other, they’re actually searching for someone else.

- saw that once is a the insanehobbit post its actually good.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
If a romantic hug and a kiss doesn't stop them, nothing will. Somehow it is made out to be platonic. We all know how things would be if the shoe was on the other foot.

Edited to add: If that was the case it would suddenly be canon!

Clearly the optional, lustful, friendly, rebound pity kiss under duress could never compare to the sublime, transcendent, supremely canon koi_bito tsunagi (hardly known outside of Japan so the international audience will not appreciate)

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Haha they're fine! Just not my cup of tea based on what I saw from the anime. High five to my fellow MKR watcher, still!

I have lost count of how many times I've read that post.

I dont know the writer but he/she is damned good critic its actually really good. I have read it many times as well~

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
This has been said, and beaten into the conversation many times before and it is not a stab at the Aerith character or the fandom but what I can't wrap my head around is that someone can fall head over heels with someone in a matter of weeks of knowing someone? I am honestly asking is that any way possible?

And up to a point where Cloud is just waiting to die to be with his one true love in the promised land? Honestly, that is such a sad of an ending for Cloud and is quite pitiful.

gulava

Lv. 25 Adventurer
what I can't wrap my head around is that someone can fall head over heels with someone in a matter of weeks of knowing someone? I am honestly asking is that any way possible?
anything is feasible in the realm of fiction; as long as the author does a good job with writing the characters and integrating their relationships into the narrative without contradicting the story.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
It’s all moot anyway. The kiss, the physical and emotional moments that Cloud and Tifa have, the fact that they live together in Edge, and are raising children together are all evidence that supports that ship.

I would surmise that the last time Cloud ever dwells on Aerith’s fate is at the church at the end of ACC and also never “sees” her and Zack again from that point onward.

Ruri

Pro Adventurer
Nothing vague at all about the way the Remake Trilogy has been though, to be honest. A group of developers sat around a desk and came to a collective decision - made in full awareness of this entire discourse - that one girl was going to get a kiss and the other wouldn't (and would die shortly after questioning her own feelings)
Love it! Also to assist with how the development line looks in terms of which dev, the recent Hamaguchi interview explains this nicely if anyone is curious over where it starts and who does what.

1709649296772.png

I like that it starts with Nojima and ends with Nojima but the alignment between all exists and is reinforced if there is any desire for doubt. The old guard working on this have a mututal vision and I think it simplfys massively what shipping fans are trying to overthink, hyperfixate and generally overreact to something that just isn't there.

shady

Pro Adventurer
Despite what is said in this thread though and what I believe to be Cloud and Tifa the canon couple, you can see in this Remake trilogy so far, especially Rebirth, they’ve made sure to give enough crumbs to Cloud and Aerith supporters for the LTD debate to carry on. I agree a kiss is pretty conclusive but you also cannot say that potentially romantic things between Cloud and Aerith don’t exist in this game either, because they do. There’s also the songs that people cling to and so on.. not trying to be funny just saying they definitely gave a few crumbs

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
If people didn't use it so strongly as this vitriolic ship fuel, I would say everyone were fed good. CA having dashes of romantic interactions makes sense with Aerith being confused over her feelings at the end, while to Cloud it could either be just him harboring a crush or just being there for a friend who he knows is going through a rough patch -- Zack and all. And I don't think that would clash with the Lifestream sequence and the Highwind or even just the fact that Cloud kisses Tifa in the same game or Aerith still longing for Zack.

luminous03

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Play
Despite what is said in this thread though and what I believe to be Cloud and Tifa the canon couple, you can see in this Remake trilogy so far, especially Rebirth, they’ve made sure to give enough crumbs to Cloud and Aerith supporters for the LTD debate to carry on. I agree a kiss is pretty conclusive but you also cannot say that potentially romantic things between Cloud and Aerith don’t exist in this game either, because they do. There’s also the songs that people cling to and so on.. not trying to be funny just saying they definitely gave a few crumbs
Ofc they will leave it because it keeps the debate alive and also the fans, because imagine if they confirmed CT, the CA will go on rage and leave the fandom

Hix

Pro Adventurer

Nobody is saying otherwise though. Cloud and Aerith have plenty of moments, many of them that can be interpreted romantically.

The point is more, the goal posts have moved now. In Remake, maybe "crumbs" could form an argument, after all that's all anybody got. But in Rebirth one girl gets a kiss - that's a whole new ball game. It means Cloud has shown that he is willing and able to be passionate with someone he has feelings for, that there can be a tangible, unquestionably romantic moment for him if it's with the right person.

Again, CA fans did get fed - though there's a lot more open to interpretation there, especially with the undercurrent of Aerith's feelings for Zack and Cloud's feelings for Tifa - but the LTD has moved on to the point where such "crumbs" are no longer enough to debate against what the devs are spelling out.

starcape91

Pro Adventurer
AKA
starcape91
I’m unsure how anything romantic could be taken from the Sector 5 date. Aerith straight up says that she really likes Cloud but that there’s a difference between liking and “liking” (are they in middle school or something? lol) That’s pretty straight forward to me that she’s come to the realization that she cares about Cloud but is in love with Zack. In addition to Aerith wanting Cloud to open up (I’m trying so hard to find you) and wanting to have fun and not think about what’s ahead - all the “dates” were tests. Sector 5 was the final exam. Cloud failed pretty miserably on most of them. I think Aerith also realized that she doesn’t have the key to unlock Cloud.

Is the Japanese really that different?

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
Game hasn’t even been out a week yet, and already I can tell it’s not only going to feel like a very long wait for Part 3, it’s going to be possibly even more tiresome than it was waiting for Rebirth.

I respect the intent behind wanting to generate discussions and theories again in the interim between the parts of the trilogy, and for the most part these are fun, engaging, and do help keep interest I suppose, but it’s also just going to be so exhausting having to endure the same sort of discourse that continues to plague the fandom.

I reckon early on there was the hope and optimism that Rebirth would have finally discouraged the worst sorts of readings and takes imaginable given how firmly they’ve set things down now, but if Cloud Strife’s first ever canonical kiss didn’t accomplish that, absolutely nothing will.

Que sera sera

gulava

Lv. 25 Adventurer
+1 the game keeps nudging you towards her as she is the easiest to romance out of the 2 girls and her quests are readily available while tifa’s quests unlock after finishing other quests first and are harder to complete.

gulava

Lv. 25 Adventurer
reckon early on there was the hope and optimism that Rebirth would have finally discouraged the worst sorts of readings and takes imaginable given how firmly they’ve set things down now, but if Cloud Strife’s first ever canonical kiss didn’t accomplish that, absolutely nothing will.
regardless of how fans feel about the LTD; it has proven to be profitable for sqaure enix, and it helped keeping the game afloat for 27 years lol so i dont see them getting rid of it anytime soon.

cloud and tifa could get married, have 10 kid and sqaure enix would still not shoot the LTD down.
before getting into ff7, i used to assume it was purely a romantic game because of LTD so imagine my surprise when i played it and the romance did not play a huge role despite fans claim lol (mostly CAs)

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
+1 the game keeps nudging you towards her as she is the easiest to romance out of the 2 girls and her quests are readily available while tifa’s quests unlock after finishing other quests first and are harder to complete.
Feel free to chime in if you want to add more, but I respectfully disagree. There are moments where opportunities to raise your affinity with Tifa are also nudged in your direction/emphasized. A couple of examples I’ve seen so far
-In Junon, the apology between Cloud and Tifa over their fight in Kalm is unavoidable whereas you have to seek out everyone else.

-Certain characters have more side quests related to them in certain regions i.e. Red XIII has two side quests in the grasslands and Tifa has two side quests in Junon region.

gulava

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Feel free to chime in if you want to add more, but I respectfully disagree. There are moments where opportunities to raise your affinity with Tifa are also nudged in your direction/emphasized. A couple of examples I’ve seen so far
-In Junon, the apology between Cloud and Tifa over their fight in Kalm is unavoidable whereas you have to seek out everyone else.

-Certain characters have more side quests related to them in certain regions i.e. Red XIII has two side quests in the grasslands and Tifa has two side quests in Junon region.

3 interactions with aerith are unavoidable either as they are part of the main quest; one in kalm, gongaga and cosmo canyon. all 3 are impossible to miss as they are integral to the story.
and believe me, i tried looking for tifa quests, and they only unlocked after i finished red, barret or aerith quests first lol
and im not the only one who struggled to find tifa quests lol

shady

Pro Adventurer
Game hasn’t even been out a week yet, and already I can tell it’s not only going to feel like a very long wait for Part 3, it’s going to be possibly even more tiresome than it was waiting for Rebirth.

I respect the intent behind wanting to generate discussions and theories again in the interim between the parts of the trilogy, and for the most part these are fun, engaging, and do help keep interest I suppose, but it’s also just going to be so exhausting having to endure the same sort of discourse that continues to plague the fandom.

I reckon early on there was the hope and optimism that Rebirth would have finally discouraged the worst sorts of readings and takes imaginable given how firmly they’ve set things down now, but if Cloud Strife’s first ever canonical kiss didn’t accomplish that, absolutely nothing will.

Que sera sera
They shouldn't have laced them fingers!

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
3 interactions with aerith are unavoidable either as they are part of the main quest; one in kalm, gongaga and cosmo canyon. all 3 are impossible to miss as they are integral to the story.
and believe me, i tried looking for tifa quests, and they only unlocked after i finished red, barret or aerith quests first lol
and im not the only one who struggled to find tifa quests lol
Huh, ok, fair point, and thank you for the extra evidence. I’ll take your word (and the gamefaqs threads word) for it!

Last edited:

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony

Que sera sera
Que sera sera indeed. Still tho, I personally think Rebirth has solidified a main love interest at least for the casual player/viewer. I’m not saying that Cloud and Aerith don’t have any cute or romantic moments in the game, and I think we’ve established in this thread that they do, but you
can’t argue against a kiss
and I mean that with as much empathy as I can muster. If C/A were to continue, it indisputably now has to be C/T/A. In my opinion, most coherent arguments have shifted towards that assumption.

shady

Pro Adventurer
Que sera sera indeed. Still tho, I personally think Rebirth has solidified a main love interest at least for the casual player/viewer. I’m not saying that Cloud and Aerith don’t have any cute or romantic moments in the game, and I think we’ve established in this thread that they do, but you
can’t argue against a kiss
and I mean that with as much empathy as I can muster. If C/A were to continue, it indisputably now has to be C/T/A. In my opinion, most coherent arguments have shifted towards that assumption.
If C/A were to continue it would at this point be character assasination on Cloud, would needlessly be cruel to Tifa, would be needlessly cruel to Zack and pretty much destroy alot of the story and development they did in the past 2 games, especially Rebirth.

I'm not saying Square isn't capable of doing these things, because they are. But if they did i'd be mindblown at their stupidity.

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
It’s only natural for Aerith to get significantly more focus here, and for there to be things in the main narrative that even push you in that direction. This is essentially her swan song. Thematically this is Aerith’s journey, and then her farewell, irrespective of theories surrounding her actual fate in the end, this is essentially Aerith’s final time spent in the main party. Not to say she won’t have some playable bits in 3 given what they’ve done with Zack, but travelling alongside the party? No.

Tifa will get her big moments and further development in 3. In fact nearly all her major scenes and important character moments are in the latter half, and she’s already been given a huge uptick in screen time and development in Rebirth compared to the equivalent in the original. If Tifa got too many quests or moments in Rebirth, then she’ll have less in 3, and they’ve already flirted very close to the big reveals in the Lifestream so I’m glad if anything they’ve shown restraint and are giving Aerith her due here.

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
Ok, right now I’ve got a sort of theory/suspicion that Nojima has been absolutely cooking something up for a while now regarding the Lifestream.

Now before I share please anyone correct me or call out if you think I’m just needlessly bigging the Lifestream up, or if I’ve got rose tinted specs on.

Taking into account both Remake and Rebirth really taking their time with the slow burn and building up of the interactions and dynamic between Cloud and Tifa and the evolving of their characters, and also not forgetting both Traces of Two Pasts and the new short novella from Cloud’s POV, both by Nojima, where he firmly spells out what was already apparent regarding their respective feelings for the other (Tifa like liking Cloud, and Cloud wanting to be someone special to Tifa) I just can’t shake the sense that the Lifestream is going to have a focus on both characters confessing these feelings properly to the other.

I’m not saying this because I think they’re going to skimp out on all the other important parts of the Lifestream, but they’ve already laid a lot more groundwork for it than was ever in the original, Tifa has even had an early dip in the Lifestream, so while I think they’ll still do it justice, there’s also the fact that it’s not going to be a “twist” anymore much in the same way Aerith’s death isn’t a surprise anymore.

Obviously given both characters have a greater awareness of Zack this time around, the key revelations that will play out is that Tifa will find out Cloud was at Nibelheim and kept his promise, and that the SOLDIER identity was a persona to deal with the trauma from everything that happened during Nibelheim up to Zack’s final stand.

But I feel like they’re going to need to do something different with it for it to still have the same energy and impact the original had.

And I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they’ve been developing Cloud and Tifa as carefully as they have, with supplemental works by Nojima also doing the same, for their not to be a payoff where they are as unambiguous as possible about how Cloud and Tifa feel for each other.

It may not be the Lifestream, they could be saving that for the Highwind, which will likely have a LA and HA variation.

Anyway that’s my only theory, such as it is, going into Part 3.

Top Bottom