SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
I really do wonder if a lot of this is the English translation. I’ve heard a lot of lines are very different in Japanese and even some of the other languages - especially when it comes to Aerith.

For example:

In the church scene when Aerith hands the materia to Cloud she says “Here, take this. This isn’t about me anymore. It’s about saving the world…and you.” She makes it all about Cloud again. And whenever someone says “this isn’t about me” it always makes them sound like it actually is about them lol

In Japanese it apparently translated to: “Take this, with it you can save the world.”
This delves into theorycrafting but I’m interested in the theory that:
Just like how the White Materia helped restore Aeriths memories when Cloud gives it back to her in the Sleeping Forest, it will be used in Part 3 to assist Cloud in getting back his sense of self.

Not trying at all to discount Tifa’s part in Cloud regaining his true memories, but I can see how they might use the White Materia to expand on the process.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
I really do wonder if a lot of this is the English translation. I’ve heard a lot of lines are very different in Japanese and even some of the other languages - especially when it comes to Aerith.

For example:

In the church scene when Aerith hands the materia to Cloud she says “Here, take this. This isn’t about me anymore. It’s about saving the world…and you.” She makes it all about Cloud again. And whenever someone says “this isn’t about me” it always makes them sound like it actually is about them lol

In Japanese it apparently translated to: “Take this, with it you can save the world.”
You know... I'm starting to see why there's vitriol over the translation.
If that's correct, in the JP at least, Aerith comes off much better.

starcape91

Pro Adventurer
AKA
starcape91
Just become fluent in Japanese by the time Part 3 comes out. Easy. Let’s do it. lol

But at the same time I love the English voice cast. Sigh. You can’t get everything you want.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
Aerith is actually pretty good in the JP version. I enjoyed her company a lot. She makes a lot of savvy and cute comments through out the entire game, and I do think the Japanese VAs are better even though the English ones are good as well.
Talking about VA’s, Tifa sounds older than Aerith in English version.

starcape91

Pro Adventurer
AKA
starcape91
Aerith is actually pretty good in the JP version. I enjoyed her company a lot. She makes a lot of savvy and cute comments through out the entire game, and I do think the Japanese VAs are better even though the English ones are good as well.
It fits Tifa. She’s more mature. I always thought she should have a slightly deeper voice. I really disliked her VA in AC in English.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
Maybe in four years the English translation team will fix another line in the game, lol.

Edit: Oh, I wanted to add that I really like your profile picture. It's really pretty.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Maybe in four years the English translation team will fix another line in the game, lol.

Edit: Oh, I wanted to add that I really like your profile picture. It's really pretty.
Re: translation - I sure hope so. Better late than never xD

Re: the pic - Thanks :D

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
tbh I am actually glad they did that even though people were mad about it because the mistranslated line was “cooler”.
Really? Even though it didn't make much sense? Like, the accurate line is a reference to her fear of the sky, the -- I forget what it was called -- memorial lines, and the overall context of rifts in the sky in re-trilogy. "I miss is it. The steel sky" is just whatever, though?

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Can we really not have this version in ENG, too? That Aerith sounds like she's fun to be around, even if she might still be too touchy-feely and hyper for me.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Really? Even though it didn't make much sense? Like, the accurate line is a reference to her fear of the sky, the -- I forget what it was called -- memorial lines, and the overall context of rifts in the sky in re-trilogy. "I miss is it. The steel sky" is just whatever, though?
It's really weirdly worded, but I always took that as her missing Midgar's plate because at least then she doesn't see the actual sky that always took the people she loved from her.

starcape91

Pro Adventurer
AKA
starcape91
Latest is that the Lifestream sequence in P3 won't exist and the Highwind scene will be something for Cloud and Aerith instead now
The Lifestream sequence will be fleshed out and expanded on greatly (and it's already a decently long part in the OG). All you have to do is play through and experience Tifa in the Lifestream in Chapter 9 in Rebirth to see a glimpse of the care that will be put into it. Everything about that section was masterful. The way it looks so similar to the OG with the floating islands, the music, Tifa's voice acting. This is laying the groundwork for the Lifestream sequence to, once again, be the absolute best part of the game.

I could see them doing resolutions again, and one of those might include a dream with Aerith, but I think those will be in addition to the Highwind scene. Like, you'll get those scenes if you do those character's respective end-game sidequests. The Highwind scene will be in it regardless of any choices made.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Latest is that the Lifestream sequence in P3 won't exist and the Highwind scene will be something for Cloud and Aerith instead now
Where are you seeing this hilarious desperate cope?

Also speaking of JP actors, Maaya Sakamoto is amazing, but it also helps that she's been allowed to be the singular voice of Aerith since Aerith had voice acting. Same with the rest of the JP cast aside from whoever the new Reno is because his old VA sadly passed away.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
i
The Lifestream sequence will be fleshed out and expanded on greatly (and it's already a decently long part in the OG). All you have to do is play through and experience Tifa in the Lifestream in Chapter 9 in Rebirth to see a glimpse of the care that will be put into it. Everything about that section was masterful. The way it looks so similar to the OG with the floating islands, the music, Tifa's voice acting. This is laying the groundwork for the Lifestream sequence to, once again, be the absolute best part of the game.

I could see them doing resolutions again, and one of those might include a dream with Aerith, but I think those will be in addition to the Highwind scene. Like, you'll get those scenes if you do those character's respective end-game sidequests. The Highwind scene will be in it regardless of any choices made.
I hope they don't have resolutions, especially with a dead aerith. Since most likely its going to end with Zack Aerith Spirits teaming up with everyone. Full fan service, but for that moment to have the maximum impact they need to not let the party interact till that fight.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
The recontextualization of that line because of the rifts is probably why Square just recently updated it. But… people were annoyed because “The sky. I don’t like it” is just meh in comparison to “I miss the steel sky”. Not saying I agree though. I’ll take proper translation over cooler sounding lines any day.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
I think they will cut scope, which are what most game companies are doing anyway. I’m worried about pt3 sales. The ending of rebirth turned me off a lot. Cloud has an identity crisis is one thing, him having hallucinations is a whole new level…it actually feels creepy to me.
And I think they will go full Aerith in next games marketing to retain Aerith’s fan.
I personally love the ending. It's Clouds story after all. As much as I enjoy shipping discourse - I enjoy the overarching story way more. And Clouds grip on reality slipping is really the biggest plot device in the story. So I'm happy to trust the Devs and fully expect his big mental breakdown in part three will be even more devastating.

I don't think Aerith will come back at all either. Loss and death are key parts of the original story and I really don't think they will backtrack on that. I don't see the Zack thing as them doing that either because it hasn't impacted the original story at all.

starcape91

Pro Adventurer
AKA
starcape91
I hope they don't have resolutions, especially with a dead aerith. Since most likely its going to end with Zack Aerith Spirits teaming up with everyone. Full fan service, but for that moment to have the maximum impact they need to not let the party interact till that fight.
I agree with you. I would guess we'll get Aerith in the third game the same way we've had Zack in this game.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Guys, in Part 3… when Cloud is in the Lifestream he’ll say that he wanted someone to notice him. And when Tifa asks “who?”, Cloud will respond with “It came to me in a dream. A field of flowers.”

I kinda wonder how they square away the fact that the devs have stated it’s their favorite scene from the original. Unlikely that it would be skipped.

Last edited:

starcape91

Pro Adventurer
AKA
starcape91
I kinda wonder how they square away the fact that the devs have stated it’s their favorite scene from the original. Unlikely that it would be skipped.
They couldn't stand Chapter 9 and the foreshadowing of Tifa helping fix Cloud, so they probably have convinced themselves that that snippet in Rebirth was enough, so it'll all be about Aerith helping Cloud through it instead, and Cloud coming to terms with her death and wanting to die to be with Aerith, but she's not really dead and he's going to doom the main reality so he can go be with Aerith in another one or something. Every theory they have is a giant dumpster fire, sorry, and shows that they don't understand even the most basic aspects of the story. They also said "Cloud's mental state is FINE. He's FINE. He's seeing Aerith alive in the reality he saved her in and it's going to irreversibly damage him when he realizes it's not the reality he's in"

These are literally people who have become somehow so incredibly attached to fictional characters they've watched through YouTube videos, out of context, and decided that they somehow know even better than the devs themselves. Seriously, people need to stop paying any attention to them at all. As I've said, they thrive on making others upset with their delusions. It's a scourge on the fandom of this absolutely wonderful game in my favorite game series ever. end rant

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
They couldn't stand Chapter 9 and the foreshadowing of Tifa helping fix Cloud, so they probably have convinced themselves that that snippet in Rebirth was enough, so it'll all be about Aerith helping Cloud through it instead, and Cloud coming to terms with her death and wanting to die to be with Aerith, but she's not really dead and he's going to doom the main reality so he can go be with Aerith in another one or something. Every theory they have is a giant dumpster fire, sorry, and shows that they don't understand even the most basic aspects of the story. They also said "Cloud's mental state is FINE. He's FINE. He's seeing Aerith alive in the reality he saved her in and it's going to irreversibly damage him when he realizes it's not the reality he's in"

These are literally people who have become somehow attached to fictional characters they've watched through YouTube videos, out of context, and decided that they somehow know even better than the devs themselves. Seriously, people need to stop paying any attention to them at all. As I've said, they thrive on making others upset with their delusions. It's a scourge on the fandom of this absolutely wonderful game in my favorite game series ever. end rant
I must say, I do not understand this notion that’s being implied that Cloud wanting to die to be reunited with Aerith is a good thing.

I couldn’t stand the idea that if I died, my significant other spent the remainder of her days waiting to die so she can see me again…. Almost a “if I can’t have them, nobody can” mentality which is seriously messed up.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy

These are literally people who have become somehow so incredibly attached to fictional characters they've watched through YouTube videos, out of context, and decided that they somehow know even better than the devs themselves. Seriously, people need to stop paying any attention to them at all. As I've said, they thrive on making others upset with their delusions. It's a scourge on the fandom of this absolutely wonderful game in my favorite game series ever. end rant
From the way they describe the story and the characters being all jealous of each other,. They make it sound like a crappy rom-com. XD

Top Bottom