SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

shady

Pro Adventurer
All the reasonable Cleriths I know accept that Cloud moves on with Tifa and are just like 'aw man he and Aerith would have been so cute as a couple if she had survived.'
That said, my Clerith friends haven't played Rebirth so I'll be interested as to their take post this latest instalment as I feel it pushes Cloti much more heavily than the OG
I mean personally I feel like "moves on" insinuates that he never loved Tifa beforehand and only decides to be with her because Aerith isn't an option which I don't believe is true personally. Think from everything we know whether its the games, the supplementary material or the compilation it's that Cloud loved Tifa since young and the only reason he really ever did what he did was because of Tifa. Now that's not to say he didn't love Aerith, I believe he does/did in a platonic way. Hell he may even have some interest romantically. But real Cloud only ever loved Tifa.

Not suggesting you believe this btw I just find it interesting that even reasonable Cleriths apparently seem to suggest Tifa is only a thing because Aerith got taken off the board, which is completely false. I think Rebirth has shown that even with Aerith on the board his real romantic interest lies with Tifa

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
This made me curious enough to look up the most popular ships on Ao3 and weirdly it's Cloud/Vincent, Cloud/Sephiroth and Cloud/Genesis(!???) that came up top. I am so intrigued lmao.
That last one is especially interesting considering they have never interacted.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
See what we mean, apparently now the kiss is akin to Seymour and Yuna. There's really no redeeming these people. They're lost to the LTD.

View attachment 14792
Not remotely comparable. You can tell Yuna doesn’t want to do it in that scene by the way her fist clenches.

In the GS date, Cloud initiates the kiss so he obviously does want to do it. And Tifa definitely telegraphs that she wants it too.

Also, Seymour is a literal villain… whereas Cloud and Tifa are protagonists.

And FFX is in itself a very straightforward love story and FFVII only has elements of romance in it.

The copium is unreal. Holy crap.

Tifa and Cloud could have twenty children and straight up say they have sex every night and these people would still deny it.

Edit: I’m actually quite mad because FFX is my favorite FF game so to use it as an argument in this manner just offends me.

Last edited:

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
You know... I'm starting to see why there's vitriol over the translation.
If that's correct, in the JP at least, Aerith comes off much better.
in all honesty I do believe that only the Western audiences are pushing the LTD.

I have many Japanese friends who dont care about the romancing the Heroines but just about the good story telling.

So the West is to blame for the continuation of the LTD that should have died at the very end of the OG.

BTW, Just so everyone knows, I currently live in Japan.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
in all honesty I do believe that only the Western audiences are pushing the LTD.

I have many Japanese friends who dont care about the romancing the Heroines but just about the good story telling.

So the West is to blame for the continuation of the LTD that should have died at the very end of the OG.

But you're not reporting in from a Wacdonalds so how can we believe you, Graymouse?

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Ok…. I’ve been perusing these forums for the past half month since I joined and I’ve heard several mentions of WcDonald’s…

Is this some inside joke I’m not aware of

Genuinely asking lol

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Ok…. I’ve been perusing these forums for the past half month since I joined and I’ve heard several mentions of WcDonald’s…

Is this some inside joke I’m not aware of

Genuinely asking lol

TL;DR over a decade ago a Clerith from the CxA boards made a fake interview to claim that C/A was totally true and absolutely the truth over in Japan guise! It was laughable on its face in no small part due to setting the interview in WacDonalds, a restaurant that literally exists only in fiction.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
This forum feels pretty Cloti dominated. I really wish there are some reasonable Clerith here so I can get to know what they truly want from Cloud and Aerith given that Aerith is canonly dead now, and it probably won’t change in the future.
I have a friend who likes Aerith, but he only like Aerith and doesn’t ship her with anybody.
Shipper on X are in general more insane and got trigger easily by stating the fact that Aerith is dead..
I would like to know what they see in Clerith enough that they fight tooth and nail for it to be canon.

Though, just to pitch in, I think I've said several pages back that I'm not exactly a Cloti and more a Tifa fan. I just think Cloti feels more natural with the way the story went. Even 14-year-old me thought "there's no way we get this big segment where Tifa dives in the Cloud's subconscious, finds out that he wanted her to notice him all along, and be told that's not romantic. Right?"

And then there's the interpretations Cleriths have of the characters and of love in general. The short of it would be that they make me feel like I need a thousand showers.

Man I hope he gets a happy ending though. Zack is the best. He was quite literally too good for the world. 😭
Zack better get a happy ending or I will riot. :catfight: My poor boi doesn't deserve to be shafted. :no:

Last edited:

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
This forum feels pretty Cloti dominated. I really wish there are some reasonable Clerith here so I can get to know what they truly want from Cloud and Aerith given that Aerith is canonly dead now, and it probably won’t change in the future.
I have a friend who likes Aerith, but he only like Aerith and doesn’t ship her with anybody.
Shipper on X are in general more insane and got trigger easily by stating the fact that Aerith is dead..
Hi. I'm a CA.

I had a blog a while back where I wrote my ideas about the LTD. It was supposed to be a one off thing that turned into a series of essays and lots of character defense posts. Unfortunately what happened as a result is people thought I was Cloti in disguise because I said I think CT is canon even though I still very much romantically ship Clerith. So that might be why you can't find many "Cleriths" engaging with Clotis. People start to think we aren't real if we have an opinion that differs from what they think it should be.

To be transparent. I'm a CA but also a multishipper. And my stance does not really match fully either that of the Cloti nor Clerith fandom and there are many things I disagree with of both. I never understood exactly how that made me a "Cloti", but sure. I used to think he loved both girls and was wavering between them like the Kitase quote about the hero wavering between two heroines suggested. But Remake changed my mind on that.
It's obvious to me that devs are pointing people towards ZA and CT as canon and have been for years since like CC it got more obvious and I just accepted it. Ultimanias say mutual feelings since childhood so there we go. There is no reason for me to argue against it. I'm just not a Cloti and that's okay.

But that doesn't mean I agree with everything either side of this fandom says. Like for instance, I have only ever seen a few people get Aerith's character right and understand her. Usually she's wrapped up in either being glorified to high heaven or teared down to hell. As is her relationship with Cloud. I don't think they are anything like siblings for example.
If anything their relationship is more spiritual and mostly undefined beyond comrade and I'm fine with that. It can be a deep platonic bond. A beautiful friendship I can accept that.

But also you can't tell me their aesthetic doesn't at least look romantic and that this wasn't intended on some level. And in general telling someone the pink girl with sparkles holding hands with the hero, the one who tells her he is coming for her etc and she's talking about "You can't fall in love with me" is "sibling like" it isn't going to go well if they see it as romantic. Because on the surface it does look romantic, and can we really blame people for seeing it that way? Regardless of canon I mean. I do think talking about why it's set up to look romantic is important and we can do that without talking about siblings because looking at for example the red dress scene? Please tell me how I'm supposed to see anything about that as sibling like.

Also I think Aerith as a character is just extremely misunderstood. And I think both Remake and Rebirth are actually doing a better job of solving that. She feels a lot more fleshed out. Also I liked her in OG and it is not because of shipping but because I think flawed characters (all of the party in OG were hella flawed) feel more human. I liked her in CC too, to me she was herself just younger.

I think currently a lot of CAs are on copium about the CT kiss. But I don't see Rebirth itself as terrible for CA in fact, I'm really enjoying it and I know the spoilers. The scenes are beautiful and their friendship is beautiful. I think Aerith trying to puzzle out her feelings needed to be addressed if the LTD was to be solved. Though I really wish we had more of her Cetra heritage and her by herself as a character.

So yep, that's me. You can probably see how I don't fully fall in the definition of either faction here.

But

What exactly would you like to know? I don't engage in LTD anymore honestly. I mostly write about lore and story themes but I can give some perspective maybe.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
The legend of WacDonald's began with a Nomura interview (in Reunion Files iirc). He said "Tifa has many roles... she is like a mother, a lover, and an ally who fought together".

A disastrous misconception at the time was that the word Nomura used for lover was 'koibito', and that the list of people Tifa could be a koibito to is countable on one finger; but in fact that is a biased Western flub. In reality the word used was 恋人. It's subtle to the untrained eye, but if you zoom in about 290% you can see there is a clear gap between the two kanji.

In what became a landmark interview, a intrepid fan recruited two Japanese scholars to explain koi_bito to the masses. The hallowed grounds where the interview took place are celebrated to this day:
wacdonalds.jpeg

(This would have been around the mid-2000s btw. Certain fans back then were prone to circulating... alternative facts. That would never happen in this day and age, so it might be hard to imagine.)

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Hi. I'm a CA.

I had a blog a while back where I wrote my ideas about the LTD. It was supposed to be a one off thing that turned into a series of essays and lots of character defense posts. Unfortunately what happened as a result is people thought I was Cloti in disguise because I said I think CT is canon even though I still very much romantically ship Clerith. So that might be why you can't find many "Cleriths" engaging with Clotis. People start to think we aren't real if we have an opinion that differs from what they think it should be.

To be transparent. I'm a CA but also a multishipper. And my stance does not really match fully either that of the Cloti nor Clerith fandom and there are many things I disagree with of both. I never understood exactly how that made me a "Cloti", but sure. I used to think he loved both girls and was wavering between them like the Kitase quote about the hero wavering between two heroines suggested. But Remake changed my mind on that.
It's obvious to me that devs are pointing people towards ZA and CT as canon and have been for years since like CC it got more obvious and I just accepted it. Ultimanias say mutual feelings since childhood so there we go. There is no reason for me to argue against it. I'm just not a Cloti and that's okay.

But that doesn't mean I agree with everything either side of this fandom says. Like for instance, I have only ever seen a few people get Aerith's character right and understand her. Usually she's wrapped up in either being glorified to high heaven or teared down to hell. As is her relationship with Cloud. I don't think they are anything like siblings for example.
If anything their relationship is more spiritual and mostly undefined beyond comrade and I'm fine with that. It can be a deep platonic bond. A beautiful friendship I can accept that.

But also you can't tell me their aesthetic doesn't at least look romantic and that this wasn't intended on some level. And in general telling someone the pink girl with sparkles holding hands with the hero, the one who tells her he is coming for her etc and she's talking about "You can't fall in love with me" is "sibling like" it isn't going to go well if they see it as romantic. Because on the surface it does look romantic, and can we really blame people for seeing it that way? Regardless of canon I mean. I do think talking about why it's set up to look romantic is important and we can do that without talking about siblings because looking at for example the red dress scene? Please tell me how I'm supposed to see anything about that as sibling like.

Also I think Aerith as a character is just extremely misunderstood. And I think both Remake and Rebirth are actually doing a better job of solving that. She feels a lot more fleshed out. Also I liked her in OG and it is not because of shipping but because I think flawed characters (all of the party in OG were hella flawed) feel more human. I liked her in CC too, to me she was herself just younger.

I think currently a lot of CAs are on copium about the CT kiss. But I don't see Rebirth itself as terrible for CA in fact, I'm really enjoying it and I know the spoilers. The scenes are beautiful and their friendship is beautiful. I think Aerith trying to puzzle out her feelings needed to be addressed if the LTD was to be solved. Though I really wish we had more of her Cetra heritage and her by herself as a character.

So yep, that's me. You can probably see how I don't fully fall in the definition of either faction here.

But

What exactly would you like to know? I don't engage in LTD anymore honestly. I mostly write about lore and story themes but I can give some perspective maybe.
By any chance, are you Sakura from Tumblr (or magicalalchemist, if I'm remembering the name right).

If so, I used to follow your posts there regularly! :D

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
By any chance, are you Sakura from Tumblr (or magicalalchemist, if I'm remembering the name right).

If so, I used to follow your posts there regularly! :D
Hi. Yes, I am. ^^ I have since retired my blog but currently I'm enjoying Rebirth and got curious about the spoilers lol.

Hello! And thanks so much. I'm really glad to hear you liked my random musings.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer

To be fair - many westerners feel the same. I was one of them. I didn't realise shipping was a thing in this franchise until recent years and I played the OG twenty years ago. Everyone I know in real life who loves the game (bar two people) aren't aware of the LTD and just follow the narrative. That was me too lol. I just got involved in the online discourse after being so startled upon realising people thought there was a valid shipping argument to be had around C/A.

All of my friends love FFVII for the story above all. And the story dictates that Cloud and Tifa end up revealing their feelings to one another in the Lifestream and spend the night together under the Highwind. That's just like... obvious haha. Honestly this LTD is one of the wildest things out. The SE people don't confirm or deny anything cause it makes them money but anyone with any grasp on storytelling has known there has been a canon couple since the OG was released. Very much cemented with the compilation too.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
Hi. I'm a CA.

But

I love this! And I actually do see some Cloud x Aerith stuff as romantic in nature even though I am 100000% in it for the endgame for Cloti. But Aerith is a really charming, lighthearted and fun girl in a very dark and gloomy world. They did a similar thing with Jessie in remake. You can see that Cloud is very flustered by these really beautiful, gentle and flirty kind of girls and is flattered and enamoured by the attention. I don't think that makes him a cad or bad to Tifa. I think it's natural for a young man. My impression of the story is that Tifa loves Cloud, Cloud loves Tifa - neither are good at communicating and expressing that. Simultaneously Cloud is crushing on Aerith in a more 'I've never met anyone like her' kind of way. Not a deep abiding connection like he has with Tifa.. but a natural and human response. Aerith I believe is confused and likes Cloud, loves Zack, sees similarities and the poor girl just has a lot going on.

At the end of the day humans are complex and ffvii is excellent at displaying this. It's perfectly normal for humans to be in love with one person but also have harmless moments of crushes. Attraction is a very normal thing.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
I would like to know what they see in Clerith enough that they fight tooth and nail for it to be canon.

- the hardcore ones just pride. Its like it has to be canon because we spouted too many lies to it. Seriously they mischaracterize Zack and Tifa to make it do so it has to work-kinda-thing / - that's just for those who fight nail and tooth for it.

Its over for me a decayed ago already..
  • you cannot possibily convince me that Cloud and Tifa are just 'friends' livin together and raising adopted children?
  • especially for those CA who lies ( for those whose hardcore ones - they know it already otherwise why the hell would they mis-characterize others)

Hi. I'm a CA.

• I respect your believes but sorry I really cannot find any romance in them aside from fascade ( even more so today in remake / rebirth )
  • In hardcore CA you have to believe their ship and anti -TIFA / Zack that's it.. no other ships available or else they'll attack you. But we respect your believe here as long as of course we can have a good conversation though believes may be different.

Last edited:

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
I love this! And I actually do see some Cloud x Aerith stuff as romantic in nature even though I am 100000% in it for the endgame for Cloti. But Aerith is a really charming, lighthearted and fun girl in a very dark and gloomy world. They did a similar thing with Jessie in remake. You can see that Cloud is very flustered by these really beautiful, gentle and flirty kind of girls and is flattered and enamoured by the attention. I don't think that makes him a cad or bad to Tifa. I think it's natural for a young man. My impression of the story is that Tifa loves Cloud, Cloud loves Tifa - neither are good at communicating and expressing that. Simultaneously Cloud is crushing on Aerith in a more 'I've never met anyone like her' kind of way. Not a deep abiding connection like he has with Tifa.. but a natural and human response. Aerith I believe is confused and likes Cloud, loves Zack, sees similarities and the poor girl just has a lot going on.

At the end of the day humans are complex and ffvii is excellent at displaying this. It's perfectly normal for humans to be in love with one person but also have harmless moments of crushes. Attraction is a very normal thing.
Yeah in general... I think Cloud when he met Aerith had no idea what to do with her lol. He was oblivious to her feelings and I think even in OG this is obvious. But he was also flustered by her. She is very forward and bold and as he saw in the red dress scene beautiful and a girl lol. And I think there is nothing wrong with that feelings are very complicated. And if he is charmed or crushing I don't blame him. Humans are complicated. Same for Aerith and her feelings for Zack and Cloud. She too had no idea what to do with him. Here she is trying to move on from a first love and here comes this guy crashing into her life and through her roof who doesn't look anything like him but she feels the similarities and wants to figure out the mystery of what is going on. She ends up charmed by him and I can't blame her either.

That's my view anyway. In general I think for both of them the other was undefined. They viewed them as an important friend regardless however in the end. I don't think it's very straightforward or simple and I honestly appreciate that.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
Hi. I'm a CA.

But

Hi! Thanks. I am in general curious about what CA think Cloud should do post game, even post ACC…cause the story ends there but the character goes beyond. And he does cameos in other games a lot :) I can’t ship CA because she is dead. But that also makes me a bad Cloti, since the only reason I don’t ship CA is because she is dead.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
In general I think for both of them the other was undefined. They viewed them as an important friend regardless however in the end. I don't think it's very straightforward or simple and I honestly appreciate that.
I think this is a very good summary of their relationship. A very good friendship regardless of anything else - but some kind of echo of a potential romance. However it always felt like a wrong time kind of thing to me. Like it was never going to eventuate. For me Rebirth really drives this home with their golden saucer date. It seems like (for me anyway) they're acknowledging the attraction but consciously choosing not to act on it because they both have deeper love in their hearts for others.

Look I'm married - have been for over a decade and I my husband and I have a weirdly open dynamic about this stuff and aren't into the concept of 'true love' and have both openly been like 'yeah this person is attractive and would be well suited to you/me in another lifetime' because we both think it's just really friggin normal that you can have connection/attraction with more than one person. Doesn't mean we love one another or aren't committed. So yeah.. I really read their dynamic as like 'they could take it further but their romantic connections with other people are stronger than their romantic connection with one another so they choose not to act on the attraction part of their friendship'

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
- the hardcore ones just pride. Its like it has to be canon because we spouted too many lies to it. Seriously they mischaracterize Zack and Tifa to make it do so it has to work-kinda-thing / - that's just for those who fight nail and tooth for it.
That does sound like the case, but it's...a little sad to believe. The game had me thinking C/A was also endgame at the start, but here I am.

Hi. Yes, I am. ^^ I have since retired my blog but currently I'm enjoying Rebirth and got curious about the spoilers lol.

Hello! And thanks so much. I'm really glad to hear you liked my random musings.
Glad to know you're enjoying Rebirth!

Your old blogs gave me a lot of what I appreciated about Aerith and a new way of looking at how Cloud and Aerith interacted in general. It was refreshing to see at a time when most of I ran into were plenty of bad takes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom