SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Honestly, I feel like they know they’ve already lost and all of this is just them trying for one last attempt. They’re like Bombs. They explode once they’ve been hit enough and are about to lose.
Like the bomb on Tifa's bracelet? :awesome:

Nobody is debating whether Aerith pursued Cloud, she totally did. Most CT fans don’t deny that.
It’s a shame but also not a surprise some of the more vocal shippers don’t come here because the pattern seems to be “set up a false premise to an audience that already agrees with you, then plug your ears at people pointing out that false premise.”

The position that I’ve consistently noticed with some people is that “the romance is optional, but here’s why the devs actually intended for Cloud and Aerith to be the real romance of FF7”. The rest of that Twitter thread elaborates further, but I often see this presumption that Cloud and Tifa’s relationship is negligible and it sounds smart to shippers but unfortunately sometimes affects casual fans’ perceptions especially when coming from people with an online presence.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding of the roles that Cloud’s relationships with Aerith and Tifa play in his character arc. As I’ve said, shipping whoever you want will never be a problem to me. But I can’t take anybody seriously as a “fan” of FF7 if they're so blinded by shipper goggles that they seem to only ever pay attention when one girl is on-screen while turning their brains off for anything related to the other girl.

I’m not proud of how I kept up with his online behavior after being banned from here, but I just knew that dude would cross the line at some point. Check this thread if you wanna see just how deep the rabbit hole went. (Unsurprisingly, he’s the one who started that thread in the first place.)
If anything, the claim is that to some, Aerith comes off as desperate since she seems to understand their relationship even without her future memories.

Well, I don’t know. I honestly can respect if they prefer Aerith. I just don’t quite understand how they must have perceived the story after the Forgotten Capital.
I wanna know this as well.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I think I read this long ago at the start this thread.

The burden of proof does not fall on C/T. In order for C/A to exist C/A has to prove that there is nothing but a platonic relationship between C/T.

Edited to add: Cloud has known TIfa all his life. Cloud has only known Aerith for a few weeks at most before she dies.

There is not enough time spent with Aerith to have a meaniful relationship with Cloud.
Okay, the words burden of proof have been uttered, thus I must step in and elaborate.
So, both C/T and C/A suffer a burden of proof. They are both positive claims. What they AREN'T is interlinked. C/T does not have the burden of disproving C/A. It just does not work like that. Even if they are competing hypotheses, disproving C/A does not prove C/T and vice versa. Instead both must satisfy their own individual burdens of proof, and if they do not, we arrive at a null hypothesis, that Cloud does not love X.
That said, there's lots and lots of textual evidence that Cloud is interested in romance with Tifa. Like, once per chapter at least he SAYS something, often TO Tifa about wanting to do something with her once this is all over, or how - for example because I just did this quest - even if they didn't know each other very well as kids, it's never too late to change that. Hell, even lines in dialogue towards Aerith - the ones that get Aerith affection points, mind - sometimes refer to Tifa, like affirming her assumption that he sat and watched Tifa's window waiting for a wave.

Hypothesis and their evolved forms, theories, are all about being a coherent explanation of as much of the evidence as possible without being contradicted by it, preferably with the fewest additional hurdles. C/A fails on both counts. It has much in the way of evidence that contradicts its main points and it must jump through hoops to rationalize discrepancies in Cloud's words and actions.

I have recently gone out of my way to block any people showing signs of… whatever takes like this are called. I’m not about to argue with someone who doesn’t know how to critically analyze media. It has been a disappointing amount of people.
Blue Curtain Analysis is one way to put it.

I hate that you just have to remind me of that cursed fanfic...
You're welcome!

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
How have they not promoted you to Supreme Deus Admiral yet? I swear, I'm gonna have words with the committee about this.

Also genuinely thinking a god of pedantry and debate might be a fun addition to my homebrew D&D setting, would you be offended/honored if I named e'em after you? They could hang out with DIO, barbarian god of epic song and story... and fruitlessly try to correct his lyrics to be historically accurate :awesomonster:

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Okay, the words burden of proof have been uttered, thus I must step in and elaborate.
So, both C/T and C/A suffer a burden of proof. They are both positive claims. What they AREN'T is interlinked. C/T does not have the burden of disproving C/A. It just does not work like that. Even if they are competing hypotheses, disproving C/A does not prove C/T and vice versa. Instead both must satisfy their own individual burdens of proof, and if they do not, we arrive at a null hypothesis, that Cloud does not love X.
That said, there's lots and lots of textual evidence that Cloud is interested in romance with Tifa. Like, once per chapter at least he SAYS something, often TO Tifa about wanting to do something with her once this is all over, or how - for example because I just did this quest - even if they didn't know each other very well as kids, it's never too late to change that. Hell, even lines in dialogue towards Aerith - the ones that get Aerith affection points, mind - sometimes refer to Tifa, like affirming her assumption that he sat and watched Tifa's window waiting for a wave.

Hypothesis and their evolved forms, theories, are all about being a coherent explanation of as much of the evidence as possible without being contradicted by it, preferably with the fewest additional hurdles. C/A fails on both counts. It has much in the way of evidence that contradicts its main points and it must jump through hoops to rationalize discrepancies in Cloud's words and actions.

Blue Curtain Analysis is one way to put it.

You're welcome!
Thing is, I don’t even think a lot of CT fans even want to disprove CA. A lot like myself do see the beginnings of a romance that was cut short… it’s just that feelings for Tifa essentially override them by the second half. Heck, I bet a lot of them are just following what seems to be canon rather than be shippers.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
How have they not promoted you to Supreme Deus Admiral yet? I swear, I'm gonna have words with the committee about this.

Also genuinely thinking a god of pedantry and debate might be a fun addition to my homebrew D&D setting, would you be offended/honored if I named e'em after you? They could hang out with DIO, barbarian god of epic song and story... and fruitlessly try to correct his lyrics to be historically accurate :awesomonster:
Absolutely you may name a god in my honor. Go right ahead.

Thing is, I don’t even think a lot of CT fans even want to disprove CA. A lot like myself do see the beginnings of a romance that was cut short… it’s just that feelings for Tifa essentially override them by the second half.
Now seems a good a point as any to bring up the distinction between attraction and romance. Like, Andrea and Madame M are probably attracted to Cloud, for example, but neither would want to pursue a romance. I think it's much the same way with Cloud towards Aerith. He thinks she's a nice girl, very pretty, but Tifa exists and thus Cloud has no interest in pursuing that avenue of thought. He does not dislike Aerith, he has merely filed her away as "not currently interested" and then later as "Not even in the realm of pursuing because she's still in love with her first love who by the way is Zack my best friend."

Eerie

Fire and Blood
More than disproving CA, I think most don't really care. I completely think this game has shown us that Cloud only saw Aerith in a friendship way - a nakama way, so why would we care when we have a kiss?

Does he love her? Yes, however it's not romantic - and even herself doubt what kind of feelings she has for him in the end, IMHO a big setup for zerith. Her line in the church says that "at least I know where we stand" is a clear acceptation that he doesn't see her that way. If fans want to see CA as romantic they can but they'll always be hit by that line near the end of the game, and in no way is this a line showing they are on the same level, romance-wise.

His romantic feelings are reserved for Tifa, and SE themselves went their way to say Cloud was loyal with a picture of the promise. They gave us a whole arc of their blooming romance, punctuated with a kiss, promising us a huge drama for the next game - and we know it's not even the best part for us, since we still have the Lifestream and the HW scene. Why would we spend time disproving another pair when the game proves our pair? :)

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Ok mild my own advocate moment here, I actually do see Cloud/Aerith having potential romance. Hear me out, this is obviously going nowhere in a universe where Tifa Lockhart exists, Cloti is 100% canon... but if it wasn't?

I'm in full agreement that signs of Zack in SOLDIER!Cloud are what drew Aerith to him in the first place, but I also think they are a contributing factor to her being so unsure how she feels about Cloud throughout the REs thus far. I mean, someone inclined to believe in destiny, fate, whatever you wanna call it would definitely think this was a sign. Another SOLDIER falling through the church roof into the flower beds? Spiky hair, glowing eyes, same friggin' sword? A bunch of mannerisms in common? A lot of real people in that circumstance would become believers in destiny if that happened to them.

But then, he's not Zack. Where Zack was an eager, friendly puppy, eager to please and always happy to enjoy life... Cloud isn't. He's dour, and cold. I say again if Zack is a puppy, Cloud is a stray cat. Tell one to sit, he does it even if he'd rather not just to see you happy. The other will slow blink at you, wondering what's in it for them once they grasp what you wanted.

So Cloud reminds her of Zack, but obviously isn't. And Aerith senses that the Cloud she's seeing also isn't really Cloud. She can't move on with him both because she doesn't really know him, but also because the similarity is there and it's a constant reminder.

If events somehow transpired to let real Cloud and Aerith meet, without those constant Zack reminders, I do think she could fall in love with him. He's a lovable dork, after all. And in a world where Cloud wasn't 100% Tifa's, from now until Omega flies the Lifestream off world, I do think he could fall in love with her too. She's a lovable genki-girl who can handle herself after all.

It's too bad more Clerith shippers get so hung up on proving their ship is canon. It's not. But I can see this, I see some of what draws people to be fans of the pairing. And there's a whole non-canon multiverse of fanfic, fan art, etc they could enjoy it through. It may be hard to find the good stuff, but that's true for everyone. I hope some of them at least are finding it. Cause again, in another world, with different history, I do think it could have happened. Just not in this one.

Ok back to being a borderline asshole, damn I get emotional when I read Tearjerkers on TVTropes too much...

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I mean at this point, it's completely an AU, not in the same universe :D If you go with the same premise than FFVII, CA can never work. The reason why Cloud never wakes up in Zack's world is because there is no Tifa to wake him up. So you'd have to have him being not mako poisoned, Zack and Tifa can't exist, etc. It's just not the same universe, you'd have to find a reason for Cloud to join the military in the first place (since his reason is Tifa), etc. At this point it could be a nice AU fanfic, but the plausability in this existing in the FFVII world is very thin, mostly because Cloud's character is built the way it is... because of Tifa.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
@Eerie: Not disagreeing, as evident in the post I hope. I'm not planning to actually flip sides in the debate, even just for the sake of argument. I couldn't even go full Devils Advocate for one post, and over the years that's been one of my specialities. This thread is just... Done, honestly. There's nothing really new to say, even the most recent Rebirth stuff is just more nails in a coffin that shoulda been buried long since. So I thought I'd stop being playfully facetious, making pervy jokes, and referencing the bad ol' days long enough to validate the feelings of the other ship.

Not their arguments, though. Can't validate that :awesomonster:

cgnVirtue

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Virtue
@Eerie: Not disagreeing, as evident in the post I hope. I'm not planning to actually flip sides in the debate, even just for the sake of argument. I couldn't even go full Devils Advocate for one post, and over the years that's been one of my specialities. This thread is just... Done, honestly. There's nothing really new to say, even the most recent Rebirth stuff is just more nails in a coffin that shoulda been buried long since. So I thought I'd stop being playfully facetious, making pervy jokes, and referencing the bad ol' days long enough to validate the feelings of the other ship.

Not their arguments, though. Can't validate that :awesomonster:
This is actually kind of sad. As validating as it must be for long time CloTi's, learning about all of this rich and tense history between CloTis and Cleriths, it's a little sad to feel like it's basically all over. And it's even sadder that they just keep it going when it's over. I mean, a big reason a lot of people (like me) are in this thread is because Clerith's are keeping the debate on life support in other spaces, as evident by all of the horrible takes being brought up. I'm not going to pretend I wish it was still going on lol (even though it is for them). But it's also like watching someone shout at a statue. I almost feel bad for them. It's kind of like that quote from The Dark Knight movies where the Joker is like "Why would I kill you? If I did, the game would be over" or something to that effect (I've never seen those movies, don't kill me). If they don't argue with us, it seems like they have nothing left. And we can't even enjoy the story with them because they're too busy antagonizing us and Tifa.

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
I think this might be the last post of mine here for a while.

I have no problem with others choosing to share some of the more questionable, or outright ridiculous takes, that come from Twitter and various other sources.

But one of the reasons I myself, personally chose to leave Twitter, was to avoid having to see takes like those.

Because they are simply not worth the time of day, nor the wasted effort trying to argue them.

There’s nothing to argue. If there ever really was a “debate” so to speak, they’ve lost. End of story. Let them live in an illusionary world of their own making.

But because I get the sense maybe folks are sharing those takes here in order to have everyone in this thread provide suitable and appropriate counterpoints to whatever new stupid claim is being made, that speaks to there still being concern or anxiety about where things will go in Part 3. That there might still be doubt among some of you that they might reverse gears and make Clerith suddenly endgame, as those who make these takes would have and want you to start believing.

So the last thing I’ll say on the matter, and contribute towards this discussion, is that ultimately, when it comes to brand recognition, and the cultural awareness and acceptance of certain iconic video game figures from Final Fantasy such as Cloud Strife, who is one of the few if not only Final Fantasy protagonists to have broken out into the wider pop cultural consciousness beyond video games, Square Enix is not stupid.

They are not going to, nor are the developers and writers, going to do anything that would ultimately damage the appeal and reputation of the character, the protagonist of the story.

What’s my point with this?

Well Cloud Strife in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth kisses Tifa Lockhart.

The developers could come out today and say all Gold Saucer dates are optional, non-canon bits of fluffery fan service (they likely won’t, despite what Cleriths of Twitter TM would have you believe)

But even if they did decide to be neutral and say they were non-optional or whatever, it DOESN’T matter.

In the game, Cloud still kisses Tifa. It was one of the very first things from the game that was leaked.

It’s been widely shared and is widely known that Cloud kisses Tifa.

It’s significant for all the reasons that have already been talked about.

So for Part 3 to backtrack from this, and somehow manage to make Cloud and Aerith work, and end the game with them as the canon couple and love interests of Final Fantasy VII for now and for evermore, would be to canonise Cloud Strife, arguably Final Fantasy’s most popular and recognisable protagonist and hero, as a guy who kisses a girl, but then decides to be with another at the end of the final game in the remade trilogy.

Not only undoing how the original ended, but undoing what Remake and Rebirth had already established in respect to the development of Cloud and Tifa’s relationship.

They would, as Clerith’s want them to, make Cloud a jerk. Who ditched Tifa to be with Aerith. Like, other FF’s protags have done bad, morally questionable things in their journeys. But never anything as petty nor pathetic as this.

And this ending would also make Aerith someone who would let Zack go and/or fade away into the Lifestream by himself.

Not only would they absolutely not have the trilogy end like this, they would not do this to Cloud Strife.

Shipping and loyal fans aside, casual audiences would see this happening if they did this, and Final Fantasy VII would be an absolute laughing stock. It would be a sad joke.

“Zack got cucked”, “wow they really let Cloud two-time lol” “he really did straight up steal Zack’s girl” “poor Tifa” etc etc you can just imagine the sorts of responses, and these are just my mild estimates of what sort of comments you’d get to this sort of ending.

While the Cleriths of Twitter would celebrate this as a triumphant victory that Clerith came true, they are at the end of the day a very very loud minority.

They are not indicative nor are they representative of the wider Final Fantasy VII fan base. Both casuals, general audiences, and shippers even.

Because all of those people would likely be forever turned off the story of Final Fantasy VII if they did this to Cloud, and to Aerith, the heroine of FFVII, whose story of heroism and sacrifice is abandoned so she can be with the guy who reminds her of her ex, who she barely knows the real persona of, and only interacted with for less than a month.

So if any of this has helped reassure anyone with any lingering doubts, that this simply will NOT happen, then my work here is done.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
I think this might be the last post of mine here for a while.

I have no problem with others choosing to share some of the more questionable, or outright ridiculous takes, that come from Twitter and various other sources.

But one of the reasons I myself, personally chose to leave Twitter, was to avoid having to see takes like those.

Because they are simply not worth the time of day, nor the wasted effort trying to argue them.

There’s nothing to argue. If there ever really was a “debate” so to speak, they’ve lost. End of story. Let them live in an illusionary world of their own making.

But because I get the sense maybe folks are sharing those takes here in order to have everyone in this thread provide suitable and appropriate counterpoints to whatever new stupid claim is being made, that speaks to there still being concern or anxiety about where things will go in Part 3. That there might still be doubt among some of you that they might reverse gears and make Clerith suddenly endgame, as those who make these takes would have and want you to start believing.

So the last thing I’ll say on the matter, and contribute towards this discussion, is that ultimately, when it comes to brand recognition, and the cultural awareness and acceptance of certain iconic video game figures from Final Fantasy such as Cloud Strife, who is one of the few if not only Final Fantasy protagonists to have broken out into the wider pop cultural consciousness beyond video games, Square Enix is not stupid.

They are not going to, nor are the developers and writers, going to do anything that would ultimately damage the appeal and reputation of the character, the protagonist of the story.

What’s my point with this?

Well Cloud Strife in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth kisses Tifa Lockhart.

The developers could come out today and say all Gold Saucer dates are optional, non-canon bits of fluffery fan service (they likely won’t, despite what Cleriths of Twitter TM would have you believe)

But even if they did decide to be neutral and say they were non-optional or whatever, it DOESN’T matter.

In the game, Cloud still kisses Tifa. It was one of the very first things from the game that was leaked.

It’s been widely shared and is widely known that Cloud kisses Tifa.

It’s significant for all the reasons that have already been talked about.

So for Part 3 to backtrack from this, and somehow manage to make Cloud and Aerith work, and end the game with them as the canon couple and love interests of Final Fantasy VII for now and for evermore, would be to canonise Cloud Strife, arguably Final Fantasy’s most popular and recognisable protagonist and hero, as a guy who kisses a girl, but then decides to be with another at the end of the final game in the remade trilogy.

Not only undoing how the original ended, but undoing what Remake and Rebirth had already established in respect to the development of Cloud and Tifa’s relationship.

They would, as Clerith’s want them to, make Cloud a jerk. Who ditched Tifa to be with Aerith. Like, other FF’s protags have done bad, morally questionable things in their journeys. But never anything as petty nor pathetic as this.

And this ending would also make Aerith someone who would let Zack go and/or fade away into the Lifestream by himself.

Not only would they absolutely not have the trilogy end like this, they would not do this to Cloud Strife.

Shipping and loyal fans aside, casual audiences would see this happening if they did this, and Final Fantasy VII would be an absolute laughing stock. It would be a sad joke.

“Zack got cucked”, “wow they really let Cloud two-time lol” “he really did straight up steal Zack’s girl” “poor Tifa” etc etc you can just imagine the sorts of responses, and these are just my mild estimates of what sort of comments you’d get to this sort of ending.

While the Cleriths of Twitter would celebrate this as a triumphant victory that Clerith came true, they are at the end of the day a very very loud minority.

They are not indicative nor are they representative of the wider Final Fantasy VII fan base. Both casuals, general audiences, and shippers even.

Because all of those people would likely be forever turned off the story of Final Fantasy VII if they did this to Cloud, and to Aerith, the heroine of FFVII, whose story of heroism and sacrifice is abandoned so she can be with the guy who reminds her of her ex, who she barely knows the real persona of, and only interacted with for less than a month.

So if any of this has helped reassure anyone with any lingering doubts, that this simply will NOT happen, then my work here is done.
Unfortunately for the people on Twitter FF7 isn't about to turn into a timeline jumping game to save one person who Cloud will then Kiss XD. It's like they missed the entire clues in the game to what timelines actually are. I fear the gang has a lot more to deal with in the actual living world than what some people think part 3 is going to be. Also one thing people keep forgetting the One character who keeps saying Let's Defy Destiny... is the Villain of the story Sephiroth!. Short note Cloud Kissed Tifa this means a whole lot to a bunch of people. The reactions to the kiss from the actual fans of the story is pure happiness and Cloti was Featured more in the game in basically every chapter from romance to angst to comfort. Cloud and Aerith (non optional XD) main story didn't really have anything significant with each other until a small bit in Gongaga. Cosmo canyon speech?The song and Temple to Ending.Not to mention every book for Remake having a part that focuses on Tifa and Clouds relationship written by Nojima.Really right now Zack is only brought back to give Aerith a happier ending, to tie into advent children. And fanservice for both more Aerith and Zack. The gongaga lifestream sequence showed exactly where the story is heading there is no reason to worry. The people making these kinds of takes in twitter or wherever only have themselves to blame for just denying the plot and they are gonna wait a long time for disappointment.

Last edited:

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
You want to know what’s funny with that guy? He pretends to be neutral lol. And also his bff are extreme CAs. I’ve blocked him a long time ago when I stumbled in one convo and he was being pretty stupid. Like if all you got are bad takes you’re 100% getting a block from me because I don’t have that kind of time (my Twitter being private I just don’t care lol).

- He's a two face b* same level as those hardcore who lies to make it work ~

You know what I'm neutral but Cloti is toxic and C/A is chill and I love Tifa but she's only famous because of big B but Aerith is much better option but I'M NEUTRAL*

- yeaah whatever I blocked him long ago too~

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I do have a problem with it and I'll say so. I have asked several times now for people to adhere to rules for this section of the forum and have no qualms speaking up when it gets out of hand again. If all people want to do is talk shit on others and slander there is a Clubs section, I won't bother folks there (though Faith was always pretty welcoming of me)

Edit: Well it looks like new people and people in general already found the Clubs section.

We're all adults here and we should be able to resolve this like adults, I don't want to report people is the thing. I do everyone the respect of not posting people's social media accounts (well I don't even look for them) or talking about them/the people behind the accounts. In reasoning for this I could look for stuff and post a whole bunch of stuff and start talking about people but then it could turn out one of those people were here or more than one and they might feel bad, and I would feel bad for that too. I know there's a lot of bad blood, which is why I try not to add to it as much as possible. Maybe it's silly idk

The thing is I could block or ignore people, but I don't want to block/ignore anyone or everyone because then I wouldn't be able to see anything at all.

Last edited:

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
- He's a two face b* same level as those hardcore who lies to make it work ~

You know what I'm neutral but Cloti is toxic and C/A is chill and I love Tifa but she's only famous because of big B but Aerith is much better option but I'M NEUTRAL*

- yeaah whatever I blocked him long ago too~
For real. These people also don't know what words mean, apparently.

Last edited:

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
There is really one line that bothers me here - difference of translations between the French and the English: in French it matches ToTP when she recalls not believing what everyone told her about her Mt Nibel fall, but in English it's a complete blunder, as Tifa wanted to ask Cloud but never had the chance to.
Besides the time span, both dialogues basically convey the same thing anyway. Not sure why we would even need the time span to begin with? I'm gonna be honest and say i don't think the EN script is as bad as some CTs do make it out to be, like sure there are some weird line uses here and there, but they do convey what needs to be conveyed for the most part.

D

Deleted member 26496

It seems that most people think that the player can choose who cloud loves. I have seen a lot of people and big streamers say this. Im a cloti since I played remake even though I didn't even know who Tifa was. In my opinion the game made it very clear that she is the canon love interest. However, I habe never seen a canon couple not Show any affection whatsoever during an entire movie, not being talked about openly as a couple and always just referred to as "childhood friends", only having a kiss in an optional scene ( im sorry I know its annoying but its till kinda weird to me) or ever just unambigously stated as the canon couple. So personaly Im not so confident in calling them the canon couple. Especially since a lot of people don't want them to be or don't think they are.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
though this may actually just be a function of being a game solely in the perspective of Cloud
Pretty much this in general. They hide a lot of details behind the supposed discussions that Tifa and Aerith had that we just don't get to see or hear much about.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Isn't it strange that such a petty thing as the LTD can bring out the best and the worst of people, and we are all blind to how much money this LTD makes SE. For I am sure this is one of the reasons why the Re-trilogy exist in the first place.

I could probably guess that SE will never ever solve the equation because it brings them too much money.

D

Deleted member 26496

In my opinion, the way Nojima treated Tifas character in AC was pretty disrespectful. She was just hurt and abandond by Cloud and thats after all she in the og game to save him. So I wouldn't put it past him to not have Cloud and Tifa get together by the end of this trilogy even though its very sad for Tifa. And also the LTD is so big I feel like they are too scared to end it and alienate a big chunk of their customers.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
It seems that most people think that the player can choose who cloud loves. I have seen a lot of people and big streamers say this. Im a cloti since I played remake even though I didn't even know who Tifa was. In my opinion the game made it very clear that she is the canon love interest. However, I habe never seen a canon couple not Show any affection whatsoever during an entire movie, not being talked about openly as a couple and always just referred to as "childhood friends", only having a kiss in an optional scene ( im sorry I know its annoying but its till kinda weird to me) or ever just unambigously stated as the canon couple. So personaly Im not so confident in calling them the canon couple. Especially since a lot of people don't want them to be or don't think they are.
It's simple, it's the difference between something being canon, and something being confirmed as canon. Tifa and Cloud are canon in the sense that, when the developers are writing the story, that is the story they are writing. When deciding on Clouds actions and motivations they're following the "Cloud love Tifa" versions of the characters. If you look at the big picture that is always the direction the story flows towards.

But when you write a story there is always wriggle room for interpretation in everything, some developers go out of their way to say "no, that's wrong, THIS is correct", but the japanese aren't really like that. If you have a different interpretation than the developers, that's fine. They wouldn't go out of their way to tell you Aerith and Cloud aren't a thing, but they wouldn't go out of their way to tell you Cloud and Sephiroth aren't a thing either. But Cloud x Sephiroth is still a fanon, it's not canon, or a reasonable interpretation.

The HA dates are the most obvious example of this. Tifa and Cloud are romantic, that's the story being told, so SE makes them kiss. In the story being told Aerith and Cloud are NOT romantic, so they don't kiss. But SE still knows that a lot of people wish for Cloud and Aerith to be romantic, so they give enough wiggle room that it doesn't interfere with the canonical story, but still allows people to daydream. He holds her hand, in the story as written that's him indulging her asking him to indulge her, but it's also some breadcrumbs to tease "heej, who knows, maybe it's more!" for the people who like to imagine such things.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
lol, yeah the number of goodbyes really was a case of diminishing returns. You could argue there's:
1) Church
2) Sleeping Forest
3) Altar (Pre-Boss fights)
4) Post-Sephiroth fight, disappearing hand-hold thing
5) Altar (Post-Boss fights, Cloud telling her to wake up)
6) CGI ending

I feel like there's gotta be a 7th that I'm missing, because they would be so annoying like that, but also, why? lmao. Sometimes less is more people!! (I say as they add 500 new mini-games to part 3 out of spite. Beat Gears & Gambits in Hard Mode to Unlock Cloud's Memory #1 in the Lifestream!)

The sector 5 date is just such a weird place to leave Aerith's character in this game. Ship-wise, it really feels like beating a dead horse. Reviving a zombie-ship that had almost no development during the game just to brutally murder it in the span of 10 minutes, is like...I guess it gives some clarity to where everyone stands before she dies. (But again, does this really count when Cloud is so out of his mind and if this isn't even our Aerith???)
I just honestly couldn't feel anything for Aerith at the ending exactly because they just kept going and going, repeating her wake ups and all that. The saddest moment for me in the last chapter was Tifas reaction to her death.

Temple and other places before hit me way more in the feels than what they did here.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
In confused by what you mean? Entire movie is that relating to Rebirth or in general movies?. But the canon couple thing doesn't make sense cause none are in a romantic relationship since there's the whole sephiroth situation and identity issues. But the whole Gongaga section shows how they feel about each other and what endgame is gonna be. While Aerith and Zack are on a collision course to a reunion

Eerie

Fire and Blood
That's because you think of those scenes as "optional". I really think people should let go of this word and use "bonus" instead. We are supposed to watch them all, the GS dates? If you max out everyone, you'll have a RANDOM one. That's how it is, it really doesn't matter because all the scenes are supposed to show you how Cloud canonically interacts with his comrades, what type of relationship they have.

You are supposed to do all the sidequests, learn about all the members of the group, see how Cloud interacts with them, his opinions. You're supposed to see all of that to understand the story and what it tells you about its characters. We're also supposed to chose other answers and see what happens when we do, the difference in storytelling in some narrative points.

You can also do a main quest only type of playthrough to understand what the game is saying - those are actually interesting! It's the story without the fluff, so to speak. The devs want you to replay and to think about this game, that is a certainty - what you see, are you sure about the reason WHY you see it?

As for your other point, comparing REBIRTH to a movie: we are only at the second game, and shit is going down. But personally I have no fear we'll be shown an inescapable kiss between Cloud and Tifa, if only under the HighWind.

Top Bottom