SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Maybe it's because I played OG years after its release, but I never understood how people think it's player choice kind of game? I mean, to me that's like saying that Fire Emblem Awakening is player choice game just because you can pick an option twice and which doesn't affect anything? I guess back in 1997 having dialogue choices was new but, I don't know, they still didn't really affect the story?
Plus, the low affection version of the Highwind scene is still a mutual confirmation of Cloud and Tifa’s feelings, just less explicit. So it’s not like it’s missable.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Generally, the debate has been that it's not, just from different sides. From my perspective, I hold that if you stop playing the game at Disk 1, you would think it's Aerith.

But if you start playing the game at Disk 2, you would just think it's Tifa. Aerith has no presence as a romantic interest from Disk 2 on. Having high affinity with Aerith doesn't lead to alternative version of any scene that preserves Cloud's affections for her. The variations are just the degree of intimacy you have with Tifa.

Put another way, if you watch A New Hope, maybe you think both Luke and Han are love interests to Leia, possibly favoring Luke a bit. If you start from Empire Strikes Back, you think it's Han, but Luke is his love rival. And if you watch Return of the Jedi first, you'll only think of Han (and go "wtf?" about Luke lol).

Different points of the narrative transform the relationship, but once that transformation happens, you don't sustain the earlier developments as if they still apply.
Not if you're playing with the Clerith perspective I would argue. Because it's not like Cleriths back then stopped at disk 1. The idea was just oh Cloud and Aerith is a tragic romance so her dying was part of the romance plot. And no offense to anyone who likes Tifa but from the Clerith perspective she had her own arc with Cloud. But it just wasn't considered grander than said tragic romance where Cloud lost Aerith and wants revenge on Sephiroth. This is especially the case if they got the low affection scene for Tifa which again if they favored Aerith is exactly what they got. It in comparison would just seem that CA and CT were options but their focus was on CA. With CA being more important in their eyes. And well, that is just what happens when you have affection mechanics.

The girl you favour feels like the most important. And so it wasn't exactly questioned when OG came out.

We are in 2024 now and we have so much information we just didn't have back then. Back then affection points, Dismantled, some guides, dev interviews not translated and a few forums were your go to if you wanted to ask about Cloud's affections. We have come a crazy long way.

Last edited:

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
Plus, the low affection version of the Highwind scene is still a mutual confirmation of Cloud and Tifa’s feelings, just less explicit. So it’s not like it’s missable.
Yeah, exactly. Cloud saying that only Tifa's opinion matters is non-optional, the Lifestream scene is non-optional, the Highwind scene is non-optional, Tifa and Cloud cuddling after is non-optional. (Also, Aerith dying is non-optional, lol.)

Which is why I keep making the comparison that imagine romancing Leliana in Dragon Age Origins and getting a romantic resolution with Morrigan. It would be a pretty terrible player choice game if it did that. So I just truly don't understand this argument of FF7 as player choice game.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, exactly. Cloud saying that only Tifa's opinion matters is non-optional, the Lifestream scene is non-optional, the Highwind scene is non-optional, Tifa and Cloud cuddling after is non-optional. (Also, Aerith dying is non-optional, lol.)

Which is why I keep making the comparison that imagine romancing Leliana in Dragon Age Origins and getting a romantic resolution with Morrigan. It would be a pretty terrible player choice game if it did that. So I just truly don't understand this argument of FF7 as player choice game.
Yeah, I guess ultimately the issue lies in perception. Fans of CA were so focused on that romance, that they just didn’t register the hardcore CT push in the latter half (regardless of affinity).

I think @Lex essentially said the same thing earlier in this thread.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae

Well I really don't know how to convey it to you but that is how it was in the CA perspective. The idea that certain scenes being optional meant you could choose. Then it shifted to "there is no player choice there is a canon" with fights over which was the true canon route CAs obviously arguing for Aerith and now you see more talk about story moments. But when OG was a thing if you said this game is player choice you weren't going to find many people disagreeing. Now in 2024 you think it's weird but 1997 and the years up to AC were just a very different time.

Last edited:

tenabrus

Rookie Adventurer
Not if you're playing with the Clerith perspective I would argue. Because it's not like Cleriths back then stopped at disk 1. The idea was just oh Cloud and Aerith is a tragic romance so her dying was part of the romance plot. And no offense to anyone who likes Tifa but from the Clerith perspective she had her own arc with Cloud. But it just wasn't considered grander than said tragic romance where Cloud lost Aerith and wants revenge on Sephiroth. This is especially the case if they got the low affection scene for Tifa which again if they favored Aerith is exactly what they got. It in comparison would just seem that CA and CT were options but their focus was on CA. With CA being more important in their eyes.
Of course they didn't. It's also impossible that anyone started with Disk 2. It's a thought exercise to demonstrate the framing of the love story, and detach the player from their own expectations.

For example, you could play FFXV after Luna dies and understand that she's still the love interest. Because that role in the game is maintained for her, it does not evolve into something else.

Conversely, if you start playing after Aerith's death you would only understand that Aerith is an important friend killed by Sephiroth, who cast a spell that may save the Planet. You would struggle to associate her with any romance. You would not struggle with Tifa.

This isn't the same as arguing that the removing the player's preconceptions brought forward from Disk 1 improves the story. It's just to try and detach those views to view the story in a neutral light.

To give an example of doing this for changes I think are bad, if you started Game of Thrones from Season 8, you probably wouldn't struggle at all to accept that Dany loses her mind, Jon doesn't do anything important, and Bran becomes king. Doesn't make those choices better, but it does help to accept them for what they are.

Last edited:

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Of course they didn't. It's also impossible that anyone started with Disk 2. It's a thought exercise to demonstrate the framing of the love story, and detach the player from their own expectations.

For example, you could play FFXV after Luna dies and understand that she's still the love interest. Because that role in the game is maintained for her, it does not evolve into something else.

Conversely, if you start playing after Aerith's death you would only understand that Aerith is an important friend killed by Sephiroth, who cast a spell that may save the Planet if you play after Aerith dies. You would struggle to associate her with any romance. You would not struggle with Tifa.

This isn't the same as arguing that the removing the player's preconceptions brought forward from Disk 1 improves the story. It's just to try and detach those views to view the story in a neutral light.

To give an example of doing this for changes I think are bad, if you started Game of Thrones from Season 8, you probably wouldn't struggle at all to accept that Dany loses her mind, Jon doesn't do anything important, and Bran becomes king. Doesn't make those choices better, but it does help to accept them for what they are.
I see what you're saying. In the end however the game design made it so before Aerith dies the players that favored her had built up as much attachment as possible and were invested in her. And thus if they believed she had a romance with Cloud by her death literally nothing was going to stop them in Disk 2 or 3. And the Highwind scenes were just really easy to overlook in comparison to what they already had established. Tifa's Lifestream scene just wasn't enough to change their minds basically.

And well while you make a point starting the game favoring Aerith meant that by the time you got to Disk 2 Tifa was not your focus. So anything Tifa did wasn't gonna change CAs mind. The the impression of Disk 1 was that powerful by itself. And that's the perspective many CAs left OG with then went into the compilation with and has colored their view since.

And to back to my original point this was the same problem with CC and Zack being introduced too late. Anything that came after giving people such a strong impression wasn't going to change their minds so easily.

cgnVirtue

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Virtue
Sephiroth is a fascinating villain because he is one who ultimately fails due to his inability to understand the complexities of the human heart (or I guess you could say he underestimates the power of love, lmao.) He spends almost the entirety of Rebirth trying to drive a wedge between Cloud and Tifa, but ironically, the one time he seems to succeed is the one time he hadn't set out to do so.

He seems to know Cloud quite well in that he understands that Cloud's greatest weakness is his love for Tifa and his desire to protect her. That's why he's first able to control him in Gongaga, when Cloud in his Mako poisoned state rushes up to help her. But what Sephiroth doesn't understand and underestimates is Tifa's love for Cloud. This is a Tifa who doesn't love Cloud because he's a hero or her protector, but for who he truly is.

Tifa sees Cloud on a murderous rampage, she sees him trying to kill her, and instead of becoming terrified, instead of distancing herself from him, she commits to protecting him and stays by his side closer than ever. Even in the Temple of the Ancients, when Cloud is again on a rampage, and lashing out, she is constantly reaching out to him, putting her body on the line even when he pushes her away. Because she knows that this isn't Cloud. This is Cloud acting under Sephiroth's influence. The real Cloud is still there, even as it becomes harder and harder to reach him.

At the Forgotten Capital, I don't think Sephiroth is thinking about Tifa at all. His primary goal is to kill Aerith/stop her from calling Holy. His secondary goal is to fuck with Cloud and taunt him about his weakness/inability to save anyone like he did during his ToTA trial. (Also, Sephiroth is not the most subtle villain in the world, lol. If Tifa was part of his plan here, he would let us know.)

Cloud's delusion that he saved Aerith/that Aerith is still alive is one of his own making, and that's why it affects Tifa so much. The violence she can explain away, that's clearly Sephiroth, but this, this absence of grief, this lack of kindness, this she cannot. He is no longer the boy she grew up with. He is a stranger.

Cloud's mental state at the end of the game may come as a shock to the player, but I don't think that's the case for the rest of the party. Barret and Red have been talking about how weird he's acting as early as Ch. 3 and again in Ch. 11. Cloud being delusional is just par for the course for them. But with Tifa, it's different. She's spent the entire game trying to pull him back from the abyss, but now she can't speak to him. She can hardly even stand to look at him.

This wasn't part of Sephiroth's plan. Cloud did all the work for him himself. Ironically, it's when Sephiroth tries to press the issue again at the Northern Crater that it completely backfires.

But this also totally tracks with Cloud and Tifa's characters. The greatest obstacle between them has never been an external actor like Sephiroth, it's always been Cloud's internal conflict: his weakness/inferiority complex that made him so susceptible to the Jenova cells' influence, that allows him to create his own illusory world, all because he couldn't believe that Tifa could love him for who he truly is. It's only once they resolve this that all the other pieces fall into place.

…Maybe I was giving Sephiroth too much credit (and reaching a little) lmao. It’s super easy to get caught up in the metaphysical stuff, especially at the end, that I often forget that the story being told is actually quite grounded and their motivations are pretty clear.
Here I am thinking Sephiroth is an evil genius playing 4D chess when he’s just an angry man that wants to destroy/reclaim the planet and fuck with Cloud lol.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
It’s actually pretty easy to raise both affinities in the OG. I’ve done playthroughs where I get the Aerith date and the High Affection Highwind scene without actively trying tbh.

tenabrus

Rookie Adventurer
Oh
I see what you're saying. In the end however the game design made it so before Aerith dies the players that favored her had built up as much attachment as possible and were invested in her. And thus if they believed she had a romance with Cloud by her death literally nothing was going to stop them in Disk 2 or 3. And the Highwind scenes were just really easy to overlook in comparison to what they already had established. Tifa's Lifestream scene just wasn't enough to change their minds basically.

And well while you make a point starting the game favoring Aerith meant that by the time you got to Disk 2 Tifa was not your focus. So anything Tifa did wasn't gonna change CAs mind. The the impression of Disk 1 was that powerful by itself. And that's the perspective many CAs left OG with then went into the compilation with and has colored their view since.
Oh I actually 100% agree with you. I think the way the OG is structured is interesting for replaying and pulling back layers of double meaning, but in terms of framing the romance, it's not surprising at all Aerith fans would not let go of Aerith. I didn't, at the time.

But, by that same token, fans who went into GoT in total denial of all that was going to happen had a point, to be sure, but however righteous their feelings it wasn't going to change what was actually happening, just how much they bought into those changes.

Lex

Administrator

You should see my earlier post in this thread.

As someone who was around in the early days of the fandom (before Advent Children), I don't fully agree with your read of that time because I remember even back then what this kind of shipping discussion was like. It wasn't a clear cut "most people just assumed Aerith was the canon love interest", there were absolutely just as many Cloti shippers as there are today. I will agree that the importance of Zack in that sphere definitely increased with the compilation.

That said, as I said in my previous post, it was easy to walk away with that impression. Here it is if you're interested:
This is one of the reasons I've always respected your views as a Clerith, because unlike some of the insane takes on Twitter you acknowledge canon as a whole.

I would say don't be disheartened tbh. I think there's plenty there for Clerith as a ship in Rebirth and who knows what they'll do in the next game. My position has always been that Aerith and Cloud were supposed to look like the perfect couple until tragedy strikes, to give it more weight and impact. It's designed to be a red herring, but that doesn't mean they don't feel anything for each other. It contributes to Cloud's loss of self after she dies, then Tifa puts him back together and he fully remembers who he is and how he felt/ feels about Tifa (confirming mutual feelings).

I think where we maybe differ in our opinions is in how that plays out in the OG - no matter what you do, Cloud and Tifa confirm their feelings for each other (high affection or low affection - this happens anyway, the only difference is how explicit the scene is) and I think it's naive for anyone to assume that "confirming their feelings for each other" isn't romantic or is somehow a choice, even in the low affection version of the scene.

It's not just the players to blame for that, because as I've said in the past it's perfectly understandable that people would play through VII and overlook the romantic stuff between Cloud and Tifa, especially if all you're thinking about is Cloud and Aerith - will we get her back? Can they be re-united? These are the thoughts that run through some players heads when they play OG for the first time. Players who are hung up on that relationship are actively not going to acknowledge another love interest when all they're thinking about is a happy ending for the couple they liked.

The closest parallel I've seen in media was the ending of The Legend of Korra, where half the fanbase were convinced there was nothing romantic going on because they completely overlooked all the buildup and hints. It took the creators to come out and say it outright immediately after it aired for people to stop arguing that Makorra (idk I don't remember that ship name, it was awful anyway) was the true endgame.

Just take heart you're not one of the Twitter crazies. Someone told me the other day the apparent read on Twitter regarding the new Gongaga scene is that Tifa was trying to take advantage of Cloud in his weakened mental state "which is disgusting" etc. These people are absolutely unhinged.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
You should see my earlier post in this thread.

As someone who was around in the early days of the fandom (before Advent Children), I don't fully agree with your read of that time because I remember even back then what this kind of shipping discussion was like. It wasn't a clear cut "most people just assumed Aerith was the canon love interest", there were absolutely just as many Cloti shippers as there are today. I will agree that the importance of Zack in that sphere definitely increased with the compilation.

That said, as I said in my previous post, it was easy to walk away with that impression. Here it is if you're interested:
I think you might have misunderstood me. This started with me talking about the Clerith response to Crisis Core:

" Exactly. Don't get me wrong Zack is amazing but the problem is they tried to sell him as a better love interest for Aerith than Cloud at a time CA's were pretty much set on Cloud as Aerith's soulmate. At a time when they hadn't actually expanded on Zack's feelings for her, when he hadn't been indicated as as important as Cloud in her story. And they did this very late. About ten years after the game released. I love him I do, but I need people to understand how Crisis Core didn't help his case in the slightest when it came to Cleriths accepting him as any viable match for Aerith."

I'm not saying nor arguing that most people assumed Aerith was the canon love interest or that there was less Clotis. My original post was about how CC was basically not taken well by Aerith fans because from the CLERITH perspective they didn't think to question Cloud as her love interest before that. "They considered it as well it's CT that is wrong not us."
And someone asked me how is that possible. How is it possible to think CA were soulmates or starcrossed lovers. And so I elaborated on how it was possible to get that impression. How in the Clerith perspective at first they thought about it as player choice which didn't get much pushback then the argument shifted and they started arguing for a canon route. I'm saying in general CA's back then didn't think to question Aerith's love interest and that's why Zack wasn't accepted and until after ACC nothing actually helped to dispel the view Cleriths had of Aerith and Cloud.

It's not exactly my read of that time. Just my experience. I am a Clerith who was there at that time too. I just didn't buy in to the ideas back then. I wasn't into the idea of flowersex nor gondola sex nor did I believe in bringing Aerith back from the dead or other weird stuff floating around back then. Hence why I always advocate for ignoring extremist ideas in a fandom. Stuff was wild for sure and it didn't represent me. And for me CC was an interesting story for Aerith and I by that time had come to accept Tifa.

Last edited:

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
And this is also true - it's very common to get both the Aerith date and the High Affection Highwind scene.
I feel like it was intentional. I believe the devs wanted first-timers to see both of these scenes. The former makes the tragedy all the more sadder and then seeing the Tifa scene in Part 2 almost adds a degree of hope that things will be alright.

Last edited:

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Well I really don't know how to convey it to you but that is how it was. Then it shifted to "there is no player choice there is a canon" with fights over which was the true canon route. But when OG was a thing if you said this game is player choice you weren't going to find many people disagreeing. Now in 2024 you think it's weird but 1997 and the years up to AC were just a very different time.
to be fair people must have been young when they played it orginally. So its perspective of a younger persons nostalgia which can change things

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
to be fair people must have been young when they played it orginally. So its perspective of a younger persons nostalgia which can change things
I’m not sure about that since people of varying ages probably played it, even if the more common demographic was younger folk.

I definitely do agree that there is some rose-colored perception going on though.

cgnVirtue

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Virtue
I'm not talking about most people assumed Aerith was the canon love interest or that there was less Clotis. My original post was about how CC was basically not taken well by fans because from the CLERITH perspective they didn't think to question Cloud as her love interest. And someone asked me how is that possible. And so I elaborated how in the Clerith perspective at first they thought about it as player choice then the argument shifted and they started arguing for a canon route. I'm saying in general CA's back then didn't think to question Aerith's love interest and that's why Zack wasn't accepted and until after ACC nothing actually helped to dispel the view Cleriths had of Aerith and Cloud.
I think I see what you’re saying. Let me know if I’m on the right track here.
In OG FFVII, the beginning of the game does nothing to tell you what’s really happening between them. Maybe there is, maybe there isn’t, aside from the developers who knew?
I think it’s natural for a headcanon to form as a part of gameplay. If you use Aerith a lot, (and why wouldn’t you? She seems like a good healer and magic damage dealer), you’re going to form an attachment to her. The game wants that from you. To make her death impact you as the player by investing in her with gear and materia. If she’s an important part of the part, and one of the better units, then it stands to reason that she should be important overall.

It’s really easy to form attachments to characters. That’s why we have “mains” lol. So I guess when you’ve spent so much time with her, and you were emotionally invested in her, and then you watch her die? It makes sense that some people will want to die on that hill.

Am I on the right track here or am I way off?

Edit: phrasing

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
I'm not talking about most people assumed Aerith was the canon love interest or that there was less Clotis. My original post was about how CC was basically not taken well by fans because from the CLERITH perspective they didn't think to question Cloud as her love interest. They considered it as well it's CT that is wrong not us.
And someone asked me how is that possible. And so I elaborated how in the Clerith perspective at first they thought about it as player choice with didn't get much pushback then the argument shifted and they started arguing for a canon route. I'm saying in general CA's back then didn't think to question Aerith's love interest and that's why Zack wasn't accepted and until after ACC nothing actually helped to dispel the view Cleriths had of Aerith and Cloud.
i can see how crisis core must have been hated since its basically saying well its been awhile but this is actually Aeriths true love after having the perception and silence of devs. So it would be a wtf this isn't the character i liked. I guess thats why Rebirth having Zack is important since they are leaning very heavily into the cloti now

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
In OG FFVII, the beginning of the game does nothing to tell you what’s really happening between them. Maybe there is, maybe there isn’t, aside from the developers who knew?
I think it’s natural for a headcanon to form as a part of gameplay. If you use Aerith a lot, (and why wouldn’t you? She seems like a good healer and magic damage dealer), you’re going to form an attachment to her. The game wants that from you. To make her death impact you as the player by investing in her with gear and materia. If she’s an important part of the part, and one of the better units, then it stands to reason that she should be important overall.

It’s really easy to form attachments to characters. That’s why we have “mains” lol. So I guess when you’ve spent so much time with her, and you were emotionally invested in her, and then you watch her die? It makes sense that some people will want to die on that hill.

i think its also due to cloti being a twist later on since remake and Rebirth shows Cloud and Tifa interact romantically a lot more than OG ever did until lifestream. So if you have formed an opinion on Clerith from the first part of the game you are just gonna sorta ignore it or not understand the meaning behind it. Highwind would have been annoying but i assume since they saw the game as Clerith the end part saying i can meet her there which is more about wanting to meet the ones they lost. They then associate that as Clerith ending. Then without official knowledge from devs for a long time the headcanon remains and then arguments start.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae

Close enough. I'm not at all saying people defaulted to favoring Aerith but that for those who did back then it was just really easy to get the impression she and Cloud were romantic. And not much information to stop anyone from doing so. IF they favored Aerith being the key, they weren't exactly gonna change their minds in Disk 2. And it was just so easy to miss certain scenes even if it it was easy to get Tifa's Highwind scene those who really favored Aerith were mostly paying attention to Aerith. And so if you are a CA it wasn't hard to think oh Aerith and Cloud are meant to be together. Which is what I was asked: How is that possible. I'm just explaining how it was possible.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Close enough. I'm not at all saying people defaulted to favoring Aerith but that for those who did back then it was just really easy to get the impression she and Cloud were romantic. And not much information to stop anyone from doing so. IF they favored Aerith being the key, they weren't exactly gonna change their minds in Disk 2. And it was just so easy to miss certain scenes even if it it was easy to get Tifa's Highwind scene those who really favored Aerith were mostly paying attention to Aerith. And so if you are a CA it wasn't hard to think oh Aerith and Cloud are meant to be together. Which is what I was asked: How is that possible. I'm just explaining how it was possible.
so what happened when perception of it all changed was it from ultimanias or advent children complete?

cgnVirtue

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Virtue
so what happened when perception of it all changed was it from ultimanias or advent children complete?
We know this. We’re seeing it now lol. The unhinged ones are doubling down and having meltdowns online and the sane ones are having meaningful discussions with us over here.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
To be perfectly clear I'm talking about CA perspective I observed in my time in the fandom not the fandom as a whole. There was a shift over time. Though I can't really tell you it was very clearly oh it went from this idea to that. As we got more information different ideas were added naturally. I don't think there was any sudden change. And honestly now you still see some CAs bring up player choice so some ideas are still hanging around. But let's say when CC came for example you would find more CAs dismissing it and not wanting to even acknowledge Zack while today you will probably get the response of "Yeah Zack is her love interest in the past" and stuff like CAs who also like ZA some of my mutuals even saw ZA as canon and think CA is also canon etc and I think in general that's just due to all the different material available now.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
We know this. We’re seeing it now lol. The unhinged ones are doubling down and having meltdowns online and the sane ones are having meaningful discussions with us over here.
so it took till rebirth for it to change thats a long time. Though advent children complete must have caused a lot of arguments most of the old blogs are either proving cloti in advent or disproving cloti in advent

cgnVirtue

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Virtue
so it took till rebirth for it to change thats a long time. Though advent children complete must have caused a lot of arguments most of the old blogs are either proving cloti in advent or disproving cloti in advent
Oh I didn’t mean it happened suddenly from Rebirth, my bad. I was trying to say that we’re still seeing it because new stuff keeps getting released lmao. If it’s like this now I can only assume it was the same when ACC, the first ultimanias, and other compilation material released.

Top Bottom