SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
I just saw some crazy takes because I've worked it out fanatics don't understand what retconning is. I was talking about how maiden isn't canon because Zack isn't a womanizer and it's been retconned on a Reddit post. This person replied saying it's still canon because OG FF7 and crisis core tried to retcon it. I'm sorry like moron there is no try in a retcon XD. Here's a new take. They think the water tower scene with Aerith is Cloud saying he had a crush on Tifa but has now moved on since it mimicks Aerith talking about her first love on the playground. How you can play that game and say that man doesn't have at least a crush on Tifa is insane. Not to mention his face when Tifa does wave at him.
Context is so crucial with this stuff lol

Even Aerith’s words at the playground completely flip if you take in the context of the scene. If it wasn’t serious and you’re over him… then why bring him up at all with this guy you barely know who just so happens to be wearing a uniform that makes it likely he knows your ex?

Because you’re not over him, actually. Your brain and your heart are not on the same page.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Context is so crucial with this stuff lol

Even Aerith’s words at the playground completely flip if you take in the context of the scene. If it wasn’t serious and you’re over him… then why bring him up at all with this guy you barely know who just so happens to be wearing a uniform that makes it likely he knows your ex?

Because you’re not over him, actually. Your brain and your heart are not on the same page.
are Actions matching words said no? then something is up with what the character said
Do we trust the 4 year old or Aeriths words on her own feelings you decide XD

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Another thing I didn't like about Advent Children was how they changed Tifa's eye colour.

Instead of being red they were a dull amber? Or maybe I'm just crazy. They didn't do it to any other character as far as I know, so it just feels weird to me.

I dunno, maybe it's just the dull lighting of the film that made them look like that.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Another thing I didn't like about Advent Children was how they changed Tifa's eye colour.

Instead of being red they were a dull amber? Or maybe I'm just crazy. They didn't do it to any other character as far as I know, so it just feels weird to me.

I dunno, maybe it's just the dull lighting of the film that made them look like that.
no you are right its described as brown in AC for some reason XD KH has it as it should be Red
F0h29agWYAQLckQ.jpgtumblr_7a36cfb910306fc2984ab27f0a00c72a_a2f15250_500.png

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I just saw some crazy takes because I've worked it out fanatics don't understand what retconning is. I was talking about how maiden isn't canon because Zack isn't a womanizer and it's been retconned on a Reddit post. This person replied saying it's still canon because OG FF7 and crisis core tried to retcon it. I'm sorry like moron there is no try in a retcon XD. Here's a new take. They think the water tower scene with Aerith is Cloud saying he had a crush on Tifa but has now moved on since it mimicks Aerith talking about her first love on the playground. How you can play that game and say that man doesn't have at least a crush on Tifa is insane. Not to mention his face when Tifa does wave at him.
Maiden was also never canon in the first place but even if it was.... then yeah, it's been retconned. But it wasn't, so it doesn't matter anyway lmao but they love Maiden for some reason even though it establishes Cloti as canon and plainly states Aerith didn't love Cloud because she thought he was a puppet and asks Zack if Cloud was ever real at all lmaoo

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
View attachment 16386

So we can assume promotional material is important and therefore accept this one :

View attachment 16387

If you mix the two, every volcano on the planet wakes up, I'm told.
Look at that unimportant NPC standing besides Sephi and Aerith there. How could Square fumble this badly and accidentally put her in the other version of the game cover of all places. I request an immediate fix Square, we can't have it being this wrong.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Both were enveloped in mako as they sank into the planet. Cloud’s second time; Tifa’s first experience.

Aerith bet everything on this one chance.

She eagerly turned her attention to Tifa, whose mind was being overwhelmed in the highly concentrated mako. Aerith guided her consciousness into Cloud’s closed mind.

In truth, she wanted to do it herself. However, Aerith could not play this role. Therefore, she entrusted it to Tifa. She entrusted Tifa with all the feelings she had for Cloud in her own heart. To the person who would “live” together with Cloud …

And Tifa succeeded. Comparing her memories with Cloud’s memories, she looked for those things only the real Cloud could know. This serving as proof, the closed door was opened. She released the memories that were firmly locked up in the bottom of his heart; he didn’t get to be a SOLDIER, but due to an ability from Jenova he had been imbued with, Cloud, an ordinary soldier, copied the traits of his best friend, Zack. She restored him to his natural personality rather than the fake one he had created to maintain his sense of self.

“You did it, Tifa. Thank you … I’m a bit jealous of you, but look after Cloud ― and the upper world too, please.”

Aerith watched as they returned to the surface with Tifa pulled up against Cloud, who was back to his senses. She smiled like an affectionate mother, though.
I can't believe Cleriths still think Maiden is a win for them, especially because this is in it.

Look at that unimportant NPC standing besides Sephi and Aerith there. How could Square fumble this badly and accidentally put her in the other version of the game cover of all places. I request an immediate fix Square, we can't have it being this wrong.
On the topic of Rebirths cover art, I brought it up with a Clerith who claimed this about it: "we all know that the Tifa and Aerith version was an afterthought"

it was some grade A cope, even after I think it was Nomura who gave importance to it, by saying it represents the different worlds, or something.

same guy who insisted Tifa opened an orphanage, lmao.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Cute little detail but in one of the Ultimania it is stated that Cloud outfit in AC is designed with the idea of an apron when he's helping at the bar.
The ultimania's say a lot of things, but it doesn't really mean much to them.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
I can't believe Cleriths still think Maiden is a win for them, especially because this is in it.

On the topic of Rebirths cover art, I brought it up with a Clerith who claimed this about it: "we all know that the Tifa and Aerith version was an afterthought"

it was some grade A cope, even after I think it was Nomura who gave importance to it, by saying it represents the different worlds, or something.

same guy who insisted Tifa opened an orphanage, lmao.
What? The alternate cover that they bothered to make was just for shits and giggles? Why am i not surprised.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer

I was so shocked when I read it the first time. It was borderline the most Cloti canon material we had for a while. And they're defending it with their live. It's so strange lmao.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
I was so shocked when I read it the first time. It was borderline the most Cloti canon material we had for a while. And they're defending it with their live. It's so strange lmao.
What do they think was meant when Benny Matsuyama (I think that's his name) placed special emphasis on the "live" by putting it in quotation marks, almost like it means something slightly different, hmm?

overheat28

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Overheat
Maiden is held dear because it murders Zack as a character irrespective of what it says about Cloti.

Even now, one of the major arguments CAs bring up against Zack is that he's a "womanizer". The Aerith scene in Rebirth with the Fairs in Gongaga is used to support this. Context? What's that? She herself realizes right after that she came across as insensitive, her coping mechanism got the better of her and she said things she shouldn't have. She doesn't seriously believe he's a womanizer, but it's better than him being dead. Maybe she was trying to give the Fairs hope as well.

CAs are willing to take the Cloti blow as long as Zack is nullified. It's hilarious and sad at the same time. If they just played CC instead of treating it like an anathema...

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Not me who said this btw
I say "attempts" regarding the retcon because it is an objectively bad retcon. It effectively creates two canons, as there is such a colossal disparity between the story elements (and specifically Zack's portrayal) in Crisis Core and FF7 that both versions of events simply can't be true. The only way you could do it would be, possibly, what the Remake trilogy is driving at - by saying they happened in parallel universes.

The cope is now reaching levels of it has to be a parallel universe to explain it. Or we could simply say Zack was not a womanizer and the writers
probably don't want to portray their hero character of Zack as one, Crisis core is the correct version and it was so vague in OG that the OG one doesn't matter But what do i know?

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
The cope is now reaching levels of it has to be a parallel universe to explain it. Or we could simply say Zack was not a womanizer and the writers
probably don't want to portray their hero character of Zack as one, Crisis core is the correct version and it was so vague in OG that the OG one doesn't matter But what do i know?
I think Nojima even said he was surprised to see that people thought Zack and Cissnei had a thing going. Nojima obviously has it in his head that Zack is devoted to Aerith.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
I think Nojima even said he was surprised to see that people thought Zack and Cissnei had a thing going. Nojima obviously has it in his head that Zack is devoted to Aerith.
In an interview, there was a programmer during the FFVII OG days that thought Tifa and Aerith were rivals or were jealous of each other. I think Nojima was surprised by this which is why he put more focus on Tifa and Aerith's friendship in the Remake project. (correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe there was a guidebook or manual that mentioned Aerith as Tifa's love rival. (Not sure if it was exclusive to NA or if it was included in the JP version as well). So I am not sure if that is considered canon to the FFVII lore.

Last edited:

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Some people are convinced that CC is not canon because in an interview, Naoki Hamaguchi (Rebirth Director) that said CC is not canon to the Remake/Rebirth universe. I think what he said was either mistranslated or misinterpreted due to context.

Last edited:

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Some people are convinced that CC is not canon because in an interview Naoki Hamaguchi (Rebirth Director) that said CC is not canon to the Remake/Rebirth universe. I think what he said was either mistranslated or misinterpreted due to context.
I always take any dev weirdness about CC as them wanting as much room to eat around the Genesis question as much as they can. I highly doubt they’ll ever allow him to appear on screen, but they’ve already alluded to him in Remake about as much as I’d expect.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
I always take any dev weirdness about CC as them wanting as much room to eat around the Genesis question as much as they can. I highly doubt they’ll ever allow him to appear on screen, but they’ve already alluded to him in Remake about as much as I’d expect.
In the opening shot of Rebirth, there is a banora apple poster on one of the broken Midgar signs. Also, Loveless G-Edition. These could simply be Genesis Easter eggs. But you never know.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Free my boy he deserves to be released

Top Bottom