SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Is it true that Nomura has stressed that there is no definitive love interest
That quote is going to pursue us after Cloud and Tifa have a biological baby at this rate lmao. It was prior to AC, he said he didn't know, which was obviously wrong but he wasn't going to tell that right before the release of their big movie. In the Reunion files that talks about AC/C he said Tifa is like a lover. And there's only one character to whom she can be that, it's Cloud.

I wish people would take Nomura trolling as gospel and distort it (because no he never said that). In 97 he even said "there is no branching path"

Nomura1997.jpg
Although there's a mistranslation, here is what Nomura said in 1997:

"If the story only has one route, the player would feel that the story makes them stuck with Tifa, even though they favor Aerith. Nomura wanted to remove that feeling"

Someone talks about it here (from whom I took the above translation): as you can see, it's about giving the player the freedom to chose for the GS date, but in the end there is only one path the story goes to.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Hey everyone!

This is my first (and probably last lol) time posting but I've been lurking since rebirth. I have a small question.

Is it true that Nomura has stressed that there is no definitive love interest? I'm kinda hoping this isn't true, only because I've been really loving the development between Cloud and Tifa and it makes me want to cheer them on to get together, but if the director of FF7 has said it's ambiguous, it does give me slight anxiety not gonna lie lmao

It feels like mixed signals... On the one hand there was a kiss between them, but then on the other, am I supposed to just ignore it and think of CA and CT on the same level?

Sorry I think I just want someone to ease my anxiety about the last game! Love to hear your thoughts
Whoever told you Nojima stresses that there is no canon love interest is lying through their teeth lmao. Cloti is integral to Cloud's character arc, that's how it's been since day one,It's literally as simple as that.

and also, as others have said, you're welcome to share more of your thoughts with us.

MissMDusk

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Mari
Thanks for the welcome! This place has been a joy to read compared to the absolute abomination of twitter lol. Sometimes I feel gaslit by what I read, and hearing someone say what I feel can be simply taken from the story as wrong... It drives me insane lol.

I guess as another post, to give my simple views on the LTD: What I've always thought is that Cloud is a very kind person. The real Cloud is emotionally sensitive and can pick up on things quite quickly, even if he can be a bit dense in other areas. However, because of his kindness and emotional sensitivity, it can be taken as something romantic when out of context. It's unfortunate, because people would rather want Cloud to just shove anyone who is a girl away from him, even if they're his friends. But that's just not the case and that's not him - he loves his friends, he loves Aerith (whether romantically or platonically), and he definitely loves Tifa in a romantic way.

I also agree that it doesn't really matter where Cloud goes when it comes to his love for Aerith, since they never have the chance to deeply explore their relationship. Though, I struggle to see it on par with Tifa - the fact that the whole reason Cloud is on the journey is because of Tifa alone, has already created an obstacle I feel cannot be overcome once Cloud properly remembers everything... Maybe.

And about Cloud being emotionally sensitive, I guess it's because of his conversation with Tifa in the GS date that had me thinking. If Cloud understands that Aerith still has feelings for Zack (I know Aerith told him, but I feel that Cloud understood even before she said anything), then on his date with Aerith, he would still understand this. And feelings don't just run away - which is why I personally saw the hand holding as a sign of comfort, "just until the ride's over" as she says. Otherwise I guess it's slightly weird to just have your mind changed just like that after a minute of speaking? Idk.

Oh and of course he picked up on Tifa's feelings pretty quickly on their date. I thought that was amazing tbh - they're very attuned to each other! Lmao

Anyway I've rambled on enough. Thanks again for your answers!

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
the fact that the whole reason Cloud is on the journey is because of Tifa alone, has already created an obstacle I feel cannot be overcome once Cloud properly remembers everything... Maybe.
Nah, don't doubt yourself. In regards to the OG atleast, whatever Cloud felt felt for Aerith and whatever real Cloud felt for Tifa can be summed up by comparing the situation to 'hydrogen bomb vs. coughing baby'.

And in Rebirth...it's even more true. Exhibit A: the difference between the Gold Saucer dates.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
lol you got it! Gosh, I could hardly believe what I was reading when I saw the doozy
Genuinely. Like, I swore stars were a Cloti thing? Saying Gaia (the earth) was a star was just...I thought I was losing it.

EDIT: that's a bit of a strawman I think, but the theory is still ridiculous.

Last edited:

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Genuinely. Like, I swore stars were a Cloti thing? Saying Gaia (the earth) was a star was just...I thought I was losing it.

Couldn’t help myself hah

The problem I always run into when trying to gauge Cloud’s affection for Aerith is how his real self considers her, and how much of his actual self does Aerith know to any significant extent.

I have a feeling part 3 will have the two interacting at least a little, but I just can’t see them having Aerith be around any more than Zack was in Rebirth.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
The problem I always run into when trying to gauge Cloud’s affection for Aerith is how his real self considers her, and how much of his actual self does Aerith know to any significant extent.
Judging by the fact that he has no qualms about banging Tifa only a couple days (from his point of view) after Aerith died, probably not seriously enough to even come close to his feelings for Tifa.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
And of course the same standard is not applied to any of the other International versions. Those are absolutely the definitive versions. Only FF7 is the exception. Hell, I bet these people are totally fine with Legend of the Crystals and The After Years.
Who am I kidding, they have no fucking clue what those are.

Well of course not, Aerith isn't even in those games.

At least it's theoretically possible, instead of claiming Cloud somehow had an eight and six year old with a woman he met two years ago for two weeks. Or that Sora was their kid.
That was fucking weird.

Fucking weird is too mild to properly describe that. But yes, yes it was.

Damn right he does. Hard to say who he owes most, but I feel like it's Denzel of the three.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd say he owes Cloud and Tifa more in that they are largely responsible for the planet as we know it still existing (Reeve helped but not directly). However, what he owes Denzel for is more personal and may have more weight.

Either way facilitating legal adoption is the least he could do.

Same here, really. For as much of our lives are tied up in this nonsense, it seemed like her identity is wrapped up in it somehow.

Not healthy. Sad. Still fun to mockingly reminisce about but not good for 'em.

Including the bits about how the usual suspects stop giving a shit about kids the moment they're actually born.

Fuck, especially that one.

Alcohol doesn't do much to or for me, so feel free to have the whole bottle if you like.

And thus I found myself playing Demoman for a round :monster:

Hasbro needs the biggest kick in the nads for directing them to do it to save their floundering other divisions.

It was like Shinra was running a gaming company for a bit there... still is honestly, they're just hiding their time to try again.

They should enjoy their creation as best they can. They deserve it, after all.

May they receive everything they deserve then :muhaha:

Maybe, but there will still be tons of gristle either way. We may want a lubricant.

Yeah that's a point. Still easier to clean up, but a real mess all the same.

And if anyone ever tries to hurry you into a deal, abort and escape.

Be always in haste, but never in a hurry.

That got us into a derail about him and hodge and how a fusion would try and kill the other half.

Lovely derailing of a derail.

Though usually it's presented as "The compilation isn't part of FF7"

Good old nigh-meaningless semantics. You're always there for our CAltist friends when they need you.

If they weren't insisting it was the endgame pairing, or that Tifa was "the consolation prize" etc., we wouldn't even be here.

True that, there's always some other fight I could be in.

It did, and then the cope train began. And it's been going since '96.

And thus we're a butt load of Barret train jokes setup and paid off.

Hey everyone!

This is my first (and probably last lol) time posting but I've been lurking since rebirth. I have a small question.

Even if only briefly: Welcome an' shit :awesomonster:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Hey everyone!

Is it true that Nomura has stressed that there is no definitive love interest? I'm kinda hoping this isn't true, only because I've been really loving the development between Cloud and Tifa and it makes me want to cheer them on to get together, but if the director of FF7 has said it's ambiguous, it does give me slight anxiety not gonna lie lmao

It feels like mixed signals... On the one hand there was a kiss between them, but then on the other, am I supposed to just ignore it and think of CA and CT on the same level?

Sorry I think I just want someone to ease my anxiety about the last game! Love to hear your thoughts

Wait what? I feel like I’ve seen your name a bajillion times. This is your home too so don’t be afraid to post.

ViolaaFox

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Viola A. Fox
I think I'm stupid I don't get it.

EDIT: oh, it's the Clerith blue baby theory, isn't it?

Wait. Are people really serious about this?

I saw several screenshots of these convos on Twitter but I don't know... it sounds like trolling to me?

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
That quote is going to pursue us after Cloud and Tifa have a biological baby at this rate lmao. It was prior to AC, he said he didn't know, which was obviously wrong but he wasn't going to tell that right before the release of their big movie. In the Reunion files that talks about AC/C he said Tifa is like a lover. And there's only one character to whom she can be that, it's Cloud.

Very minor point of order, he did not say she was like a lover. While you can read the "is like" to refer to all three of her roles in English as it comes at the start of the sentence ("She is like a mother, a sweetheart, and an ally in battle" is the specific English phrasing, I believe) the grammar of the Japanese is slightly different, in that it's three short sentence fragments, each with a declarative "aru" at the end, and of these, only mother has the "like" modifier applied to it. She's like a mother. She is a lover/ beloved. She is an ally in battle.
This is a small thing, but it's an important one, fuckdammit. Same as how reading 'sweetheart' as 'nice person' is not a correct interpretation of the sentence based on the meaning of Koibito, so to is saying she's 'like' a lover incorrect.

Stars are absolutely a C/T thing and like all C/T things, must be co-opted for the cause.

Also please provide screenshot of the insanity. I would like to see.

Well of course not, Aerith isn't even in those games.
So powerful, she even rewrites the standard rules of canonicity.

Fucking weird is too mild to properly describe that. But yes, yes it was.
Like, it's dumber than the monkey pairings, and that's saying something.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd say he owes Cloud and Tifa more in that they are largely responsible for the planet as we know it still existing (Reeve helped but not directly). However, what he owes Denzel for is more personal and may have more weight.
Different sort of Owe. He owes them for 'services rendered' absolutely. I was referring to 'for personal grievance' owing. Even then, it's a close thing.

Either way facilitating legal adoption is the least he could do.
Reeve should be paying for him and Marlene to go to college wherever they choose. if not more.

Not healthy. Sad. Still fun to mockingly reminisce about but not good for 'em.
Yeah, there's a schadenfeude, but there's also lots of pity.

Fuck, especially that one.
There's so much fucked up shit re: that I don't even know where to start.

And thus I found myself playing Demoman for a round :monster:
Enjoy it, you black Scottish cyclops.

It was like Shinra was running a gaming company for a bit there... still is honestly, they're just hiding their time to try again.
Now you've got me thinking of ShinRa as a toy company subsidiary.

May they receive everything they deserve then :muhaha:
Always a terrible curse, that.

Yeah that's a point. Still easier to clean up, but a real mess all the same.
True, true.

Be always in haste, but never in a hurry.
And always read the fine print.

Lovely derailing of a derail.
Indeed it was.

[quote[Good old nigh-meaningless semantics. You're always there for our CAltist friends when they need you.[/quote]
Along with special pleading, cherry picking, ignoring evidence, outright lying, fabricating evidence.... I could go on.

True that, there's always some other fight I could be in.
Other people so stupid as to boggles the fucking mind.

And thus we're a butt load of Barret train jokes setup and paid off.
Trust me, I knew exactly what I was setting up for when I wrote that.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Wait. Are people really serious about this?

I saw several screenshots of these convos on Twitter but I don't know... it sounds like trolling to me?
It has to be. There's no way someone came up with it and was proud enough to post it online seriously.

Stars are absolutely a C/T thing and like all C/T things, must be co-opted for the cause.

Also please provide screenshot of the insanity. I would like to see.
Have you not seen the Clerith blue baby theory?

Very minor point of order, he did not say she was like a lover. While you can read the "is like" to refer to all three of her roles in English as it comes at the start of the sentence ("She is like a mother, a sweetheart, and an ally in battle" is the specific English phrasing, I believe) the grammar of the Japanese is slightly different, in that it's three short sentence fragments, each with a declarative "aru" at the end, and of these, only mother has the "like" modifier applied to it. She's like a mother. She is a lover/ beloved. She is an ally in battle.
It should be obvious that the 'like' in the sentence doesn't apply to all three things and only 'mother' even without elaborating on Japanese grammar and how the sentence is structured in Japanese. How can Tifa be like a close ally in battle, if she literally is one?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The Buffy ship wars were kind of nuts in retrospect, because the options were literally

-The one who grooms her from the age of 16
-The one who attempts to rape her

...there is a 3rd gay option that was more of a queerbaiting situation.

I think FF7 is doing aight by comparison lmao

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
View attachment 16819

I'm sorry but it's not a cup of soup but a glass. And it's very clear he's in love with it.

That's why he's staying around in AC. He's just waiting for the bar opening. To join the glass again.

We don't care about your Tifa. She didn't even existed in the draft. She was just created to appeal to otakus. Game needed to be sold out because Square Soft was going to die. That's why it's called Final Fantasy.
Oh man i remember one of the early debates over this scene with Remake. Yes Cloud was totally calling the glass beautiful and the followup reaction from Tifa didn't mean anything either or she was bashful about Cloud finding her bar glasses beautiful :mon: .

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Hey everyone!

I might be wrong, but i assume you mean that Kingdom Hearts interview reply that Cleriths use a lot? About him not having any clue who Cloud ends up with or such? I always just took that as Nomura didn't really care enough to give a real answer there or wanted people to think for themselves and it was fairly irrelevant to Kingdom Hearts in general so i don't really blame him if he didn't care to answer. It's also a very old reply at this point so even if we assume he was being real, which i don't think he was, things have definitely changed over the years. Hell we even had Nomura himself state that they wanted to portray Cloud and Tifas relationship in more detail in Rebirth so we can get that better payoff later.

I wouldn't really put any real value in that statement at this point in time regardless of how much Cleriths want to use it as proof of no canon when everything else we've gotten are very clear about this.

ViolaaFox

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Viola A. Fox
Oh man i remember one of the early debates over this scene with Remake. Yes Cloud was totally calling the glass beautiful and the followup reaction from Tifa didn't mean anything either or she was bashful about Cloud finding her bar glasses beautiful :mon: .

Yeah.. I mean when I first saw the scene I unironically thought that he complimented the color of the drink because it's pretty much the same as Tifa's eyes. But after seeing it again ... he looks through the drink at Tifa.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yeah.. I mean when I first saw the scene I unironically thought that he complimented the color of the drink because it's pretty much the same as Tifa's eyes. But after seeing it again ... he looks through the drink at Tifa.
The drink is slightly on the side and he’s not looking at it. Cloud mocap actor said he was flirting with Tifa but if it didn’t work he would’ve pretended to be complimenting the drink lol.

ViolaaFox

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Viola A. Fox
The drink is slightly on the side and he’s not looking at it. Cloud mocap actor said he was flirting with Tifa but if it didn’t work he would’ve pretended to be complimenting the drink lol.

Ahh, ok that makes much more sense.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
The drink scene was honestly cute. I was like, "lol, that was so smooth, Cloud, you little dork". And he looked so proud of himself too after.

Top Bottom