SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
It's partly meta, but it's also definitely there to reinforce that Cloud is not right for Aerith, and deep down she knows it. We have it confirmed that Dream Aerith is not Our Aerith, so it's likely it's the Aerith who was piggybacking with Our Aerith in Remake, OG Aerith. She's giving herself a one last "what if" to sort her feelings out.

This is us seeing Aerith learning not only that she hasn't moved on, but cannot move on with Cloud. He's not what she wants or needs. Zack is. That's why this is a Zack segment in the internal logic of the game, it's furthering his narrative, not Cloud's It's handing Cloud a MacGuffin, and setting Aerith up to come to the conclusion that not only did she always love Zack, she never loved Cloud and he never loved her, even though they do like each other.

I believe this is the Remake Resolution Aerith. She knew there was no chance of a happy ending, so she was warning Cloud not to fall in love with her, but even then she was talking to herself more than Cloud without realizing it. This is the next step in her journey back to Zack.

This is also part of it.

Also, remember that Other Marlene's full line is that "She likes Cloud because you weren't there." I am pretty sure this is meant very literally. in that "She will like Cloud only in the absence of Zack."
In my mind, I’ve tabled how I feel about this last segment as a whole until I have the full picture. I get what they’re aiming for, and I think I know why they felt the need to sledgehammer the point, but I cant say if it’ll stand the test of time.

A couple of things need to happen in part 3 to steer it in a better direction for me, personally, but for now I’m going to say I don’t know how to feel about it all.

Same for her death sequence. I get it, but guys you are dancing on a very fine line and I hope you know what you’re doing.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
This is also part of it.

Also, remember that Other Marlene's full line is that "She likes Cloud because you weren't there." I am pretty sure this is meant very literally. in that "She will like Cloud only in the absence of Zack."
In JP, Marlene doesn't say "cause you weren't there"
Do you think that changes the context of that conversation?

This is the JP dialogue: (rough translation)

Z:エアリスは クラウドのことが好きなのか?
Does Aerith have feelings for Cloud?

M: うん きっとね
Yea, I'm sure

Z: そうか
Is that so?

Z: それは ひゅ~ひゅ~だな
That's cute/Couple of love birds huh

M: ひゅ~ひゅ~!
Yea

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
In my mind, I’ve tabled how I feel about this last segment as a whole until I have the full picture. I get what they’re aiming for, and I think I know why they felt the need to sledgehammer the point, but I cant say if it’ll stand the test of time.

A couple of things need to happen in part 3 to steer it in a better direction for me, personally, but for now I’m going to say I don’t know how to feel about it all.

Same for her death sequence. I get it, but guys you are dancing on a very fine line and I hope you know what you’re doing.
What do you think needs to happen in Part 3 to steer it in a better direction for you? (dream date)

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel

Yea, I'm sure

Is that so?

Yea
Ultimately, not really.

Keep in mind this is a Zack that hasn’t yet passed on his hopes and dreams to Cloud, his living legacy. Part of that legacy is fulfilling Aerith’s wish to spend more time with Zack.

Once he gets that information, it would all click for him I think, or at least click for Aerith if she gets to put two-and-two together.

overheat28

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Overheat

Yea, I'm sure

Is that so?

Yea

Does he actually say "that's cute, a couple of lovebirds"? I don't know Japanese but I've seen this translation pushed heavily by Twitter CAs usually in an attempt to prove Zack has accepted Aerith moving on and becoming a CA supporter.

My understanding is he replies with an onomatopeia "hyu hyu" and Marlene follows up with the same. More like a man using self-deprecating humor to deal with an unfortunate situation is how I've seen it described. Twitter CTs seem to believe CAs are pushing the lovebird translation disingenuously.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

I mean we all are hoping they don't fumble the ball this close to the finish line. I'm just confident they aren't going to fumble it that incredibly badly.

Yea, I'm sure

Is that so?

Yea

Not by all that much. In both languages- and other translations, looking at some of them - the tone for the last two lines is very jokey, and then immediately Zack gets serious about saving Aerith, so it makes it a bit less overt about the dependency, but reinforces that Aerith likes Cloud, but not that seriously. The french translation has her jokingly ask if he's jealous. for example.

Does he actually say "that's cute, a couple of lovebirds"? I don't know Japanese but I've seen this translation pushed heavily by Twitter CAs usually in an attempt to prove Zack has accepted Aerith moving on and becoming a CA supporter.

My understanding is he replies with an onomatopeia "hyu hyu" and Marlene follows up with the same. More like a man using self-deprecating humor to deal with an unfortunate situation is how I've seen it described. Twitter CTs seem to believe CAs are pushing the lovebird translation disingenuously.
It's basically "Is that so, huh?" and Marlene responds with a very goofy sounding hyu hyu in response. On further reflection, Marlene is trying to get a giggle out of him because they had been discussing something very serious.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer

My bad - I should have included the romaji.

Z: それは ひゅ~ひゅ~だな (sorewa hyu hyu da na)
That's cute/couple of lovebirds
M: ひゅ~ひゅ~ (hyu hyu)
Yea

The "hyu hyu" is contextual and can even be used for sound effects like whistling or breathing.

I am not sure if "lovebirds" is the most accurate but I have seen some translations use it. (Can someone confirm if lovebirds is correct?)

However, "hyu hyu" can be correlated to something cute/lighthearted. Based on the tone the JP VA delivered the lines, I am inclined to think it airs on lighthearted teasing.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
What do you think needs to happen in Part 3 to steer it in a better direction for you? (dream date)
One of them is not have her show up very much until the end. Her cascade of goodbyes feels instantly hollow if we aren’t allowed to feel her absence.

Her death will obviously come up again, and she’ll be doing her thing in the LS so I don’t expect her to be completely absent. The party will be sad, let me be sad with them.

MissMDusk

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Mari
I think what would make the dream date scene feel slightly better for me is how they'll (hopefully?) approach it when ZA reunite. I can't imagine they won't discuss it... Though I'm not really sure how that conversation would go? Or maybe it's better they forgot about it but I certainly won't lol.

Btw, I also keep thinking about how the Aerith resolutions from remake and rebirth are not with our Aerith. It's why I think it must be the same Aerith just at different points of the LS (as in, how much she has experienced since entering the LS), otherwise... What's the point I guess lmao

Thanks for your answers!

EDIT: sorry I meant talk about Aerith's feelings for Cloud or trying to figure them out, not the date itself. I can understand why she used it in her "dream" since it's the only reference point she has to a proper date

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
My bad - I should have included the romaji.

Z: それは ひゅ~ひゅ~だな (sorewa hyu hyu da na)
That's cute/couple of lovebirds
M: ひゅ~ひゅ~ (hyu hyu)
Yea

The "hyu hyu" is contextual and can even be used for sound effects like whistling or breathing.

I am not sure if "lovebirds" is the most accurate but I have seen some translations use it. (Can someone confirm if lovebirds is correct?)

However, "hyu hyu" can be correlated to something cute/lighthearted. Based on the tone the JP VA delivered the lines, I am inclined to think it airs on lighthearted teasing.
I can't say that I've ever seen Hyu Hyu used as lovebirds. I have seen it used as a wolf whistle to mock people lovey dovey, but that's not how Zack sounds.

I think Marlene MIGHT be trying to do that, making this an incredibly mature pun for a fucking four year old.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
I can't say that I've ever seen Hyu Hyu used as lovebirds. I have seen it used as a wolf whistle to mock people lovey dovey, but that's not how Zack sounds.

I think Marlene MIGHT be trying to do that, making this an incredibly mature pun for a fucking four year old.
She did spend time in a bar in a slum. Easy to pick up some… questionable behaviors

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer

In Costa Del Sol, when Aerith mentions sunscreen to Cloud, in JP, she says: "ひゅ~ひゅ~だな (hyu hyu da ne)

Last edited:

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
I think what would make the dream date scene feel slightly better for me is how they'll (hopefully?) approach it when ZA reunite. I can't imagine they won't discuss it... Though I'm not really sure how that conversation would go? Or maybe it's better they forgot about it but I certainly won't lol.

Btw, I also keep thinking about how the Aerith resolutions from remake and rebirth are not with our Aerith. It's why I think it must be the same Aerith just at different points of the LS (as in, how much she has experienced since entering the LS), otherwise... What's the point I guess lmao

Thanks for your answers!
I think that Aerith's question, "I wonder what this 'suki' means to me," is the setup to be answered in the ZA reunion. Also, Zack's story arc (as well as the ZA arc) has yet to resolve so I think we'll see more of him in Part 3.

Regarding the Aerith(s):
Remake Chapter 14 Resolution (Remake Ultimania mentions this Aerith is from the future)
Dream Date Aerith (Rebirth Ultimania mentions this Aerith is not "our" Aerith)
Our Aerith - the one that has been travelling with us on our journey

Can anyone confirm if there are more than the 3 Aerith(s) mentioned above?

Last edited:

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Does that completely replace the line or come at the end of it?
The dialogue happens after Cloud gets flustered.

Tifa: クラウドも真っ赤になりそう (kuraudo mo makkari ni narisou)
Looks like Cloud is turning red (JP rough translation)

Aerith: ヒリヒリでひゅ〜ひゅ〜だね (hiri de hyu hyu da ne)
Looks like its (you're?) tingling (JP rough translation)
*not sure what the "hyu hyu" means in this context

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
The dialogue happens after Cloud gets flustered.

Tifa: クラウドも真っ赤になりそう (kuraudo mo makkari ni narisou)
Looks like Cloud is turning red (JP rough translation)

Aerith: ヒリヒリでひゅ〜ひゅ〜だね (hiri de hyu hyu da ne)
Looks like its (you're?) tingling (JP rough translation)
*not sure what the "hyu hyu" means in this context
I'd have to hear it to be certain, but it seems like the "getting hot and heavy" wolf whistle usage from general context. Again, a sort of teasing usage.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
So when Ultimania tells us that she's not even ours... I could have done without that.
It was obvious even from playing; the way she behaves is not like our Aerith, but Cloud also kept telling her she was weird to hint that she wasn’t the one Cloud knew.
but I do see regret in her at the end
That’s because she knows it’s not her place to hug Cloud but she still does it as a good bye forever. This scene is the CA closure basically.

As for what I felt during the date, “it’s all wrong” and “it’s a ZA setup like wow”. A swiss streamer commented on it as he was playing: “I know, I know, I’m not Zack” and yeah that’s the feeling it gives across.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
I think we must not forget that the reason why Tifa has such a high faith in Cloud is because she can spot the real Cloud. She can see him being himself underneath, so she has faith that she can help him. She is Aerith's reverse - Aerith saw Zack's personality in him, the way he walked and behaved generally. Tifa doesn't see SOLDIER!Cloud, she has made very clear in Remake that she did not like this part of him and so what she sees is vastly different because Cloud does open up to her in ways he doesn't to others. Cloud shows her parts of himself that he hides to others, because his yearning for Tifa is so big that he wants her to notice him at all cost, he want to become a special being to her.
I think the scene of them in Cloud's room shows this well, especially when juxtaposed with Tifa's earlier reaction to the reminder that Cloud's now SOLDIER. Cloud brings up the promise and how he promised to be there for her, and she giggles in this relieved "he's still the Cloud I know" way.

It's basically "Is that so, huh?" and Marlene responds with a very goofy sounding hyu hyu in response. On further reflection, Marlene is trying to get a giggle out of him because they had been discussing something very serious.
That's so cute, lol.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
He doesn't look like Cloud at all lmao? By any FF/VII standard, he's pretty ugly. His character also doesn't match Cloud's father. And in the EC Halloween event, he didn't recognise Nibelheim at all.
Being blond and blue eyes was enough for me to call him that i guess. he's rougher around the edges than Cloud that's for sure and not a hottie like him.

Either way wouldn't really surprise me if they did want to make that connection there, though i don't really think they will couse it wouldn't really bring anything of value to the games. The event in EC does also deny the idea. I guess they just suck at designing new characters and wanted to run with the blond blue eyes template for this guy again.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
It was obvious even from playing; the way she behaves is not like our Aerith, but Cloud also kept telling her she was weird to hint that she wasn’t the one Cloud knew.

I know it well.

But it doesn't change the fact that it's rude to capture someone's subsconscious for a simulated date. Even more so when you're supposed to be a "know-it-all" Aerith. She knows she's going to die and Cloud will blame himself. So she knows Tifa loves him. That he loves her enough to show Tifa the real him. That her ex died to protect him and wanted to see her again. Maybe she knows he's around trying to save her. But no, let's date.

Like ok. I get it. The closure. The ZA call backs. I get it.
But it doesn't work I'm sorry. If that's really what they were after they missed.

Because it portrays an Aerith I don't like. I was so irritated that I almost let out an exasperated gasp when Cloud saved her by countering Sephiroth's blade. Like "All that drama to finally save her?"

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
You know, it lowkey bothers me that it's still called a "love triangle" in Re-Trilogy since Zack's there, going through different worlds to reunite with Aerith.
It should be quadruple something or another whatever you call it now, but alas, no one cares about that one NPC being added into the mix at this point in time, especially not when they don't really apply to the "who gets to be laid with Cloud" mindset :mon:.

Jokes aside, Zack ends up breaking the whole triangle into pieces, which makes it become an issue to consider him in the equation, so people don't really. Even with how much they've added to his character over the years he's still considered a nobody afterall.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
I once asked ChatGPT who it thought the main love interest was, it thought Aerith (shows you how deep the misinformation has spread). I then asked it to defend that position as strongly as possible while I would try to convince it that it was actually Tifa.
Reason I did this was because I yearned for a discussion with a logical opponent who I could force to actually argue in good faith. It was a cleansing experience.
What was the end result if you don't mind me asking?

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Even with how much they've added to his character over the years he's still considered a nobody afterall.
The other day I was talking to someone on twitter and when I said that Zack and Aerith will have a 'romantic reunion' in part 3 and backed up why I though that, I got accused of "reducing Zack to a love interest". They said that Zack is "important for Cloud and Sephiroth" only for that same person to call Zack in the re;trilogy "annoying Crisis Core fanservice".

Both the Zack downplay and the fake concern for Zack is unreal to me. Zack really can't win no matter what, not even when he's willing to go to hell and back for those he cares about. Not even when Zack is literally doing for Aerith right now what Cleriths have been begging Cloud to do for nearly 3 decades at this point.

It's exasperating.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
The other day I was talking to someone on twitter and when I said that Zack and Aerith will have a 'romantic reunion' in part 3 and backed up why I though that, I got accused of "reducing Zack to a love interest". They said that Zack is "important for Cloud and Sephiroth" only for that same person to call Zack in the re;trilogy "annoying Crisis Core fanservice".

Both the Zack downplay and the fake concern for Zack is unreal to me. Zack really can't win no matter what, not even when he's willing to go to hell and back for those he cares about. Not even when Zack is literally doing for Aerith right now what Cleriths have been begging Cloud to do for nearly 3 decades at this point.

It's exasperating.
I don't know what else to call their eventual reunion based on what the games have shown me. If Zack isn't a love interest to Aerith then what is he? Also did the person leave Aerith out of the importance equation there when she's the sole driving force for Zack in these games? Or i guess the implications was that Zack is not important to Aerith at all?

I know people hate Crisis Core, but you just can't deny the fact that it's important to canon no matter how much you hate it. Just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Fake concern happens so much and it often has the whole "let's push Zack and Tifa together couse they need someone like this for each other". I never buy into anyone pretending they care about Zack or Tifa when they do these kinda statements.

Top Bottom