SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
It sure feels like a lot of people only care who wins and nothing else about this game sometimes.
That's certainly true for me, because the game is over, the OG exists and nothing about it will change with the sole exception of perception. And there is really nothing that can change that except for the love square debate.
If remake ends with the clear and unarguable conclusion that Cloud and Tifa love each other and always will then nothing will change about the OG except that I can now finally be clear when discussing it without people bothering me about "actually, Cloud loved Aerith and bla bla". In this situation the main thing that gets messed up by the alternate timeline business is the remake. I will add that I also care about Aerith being dead because if she's not that would also mess up those emotions in the OG.

But if they make remake some ridiculous "choose your own waifu" game then that would imply that the same ambiguity exists in Clouds feelings in the OG, which would ruin the game for me. So while the game itself is about more, all that stuff now balances on the knife edge of Clouds love life unfortunately.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, same. Whether this game is just action or a story worth experiencing really depends on Cloud's love life. It's not that I don't care about the action or anything else, I just want to know whether this is a "turn your brain off and just enjoy" game or something worth praising for it's story and characters.

On that note, can we all agree that the most annoying people in the LTD are people who act like they're better than it? E.g. "ff7 isn't about romance".

"I don't understand ff7" is a weird flex.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
On that note, can we all agree that the most annoying people in the LTD are people who act like they're better than it? E.g. "ff7 isn't about romance".
Oh, there are so many people who think they're so above it all and above shippers whilst... talking exactly like shippers, lol. Extreme shippers, I might even add.

I mean, it's one thing to say that you don't care about the romance in FF7 and another to say "well, by the way, it was both girls but Cloud loved Aerith more and confessed his crush on Sephiroth on the water tower and everyone who thinks it's just Tifa is an idiot with zero media literacy".

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer

"I don't understand ff7" is a weird flex.
Oh, for real. I think I've said it paaaaaages ago, but the people I know who truly, 100% didn't care about the ships just never try interpreting the story beyond what we were shown on screen. The ones who were in my own circle didn't even ask me who I got for the GS date -- or just the GS date in general. They don't even know the LTD exists. They just liked flexing their materia set-ups, beating Emerald without Underwater materia, and beating Ruby Weapon, and other bragging rights material.

The people who say FF7 isn't about romance care about it far too much in comparison.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
It's not that hard for me to see because banter tease is CA's dynamic, Cloud deadpans, Aerith teases, Cloud deadpans, Aerith teases, sometimes it's a switch up and Cloud teases.

Thing is CAs are told to accept AUs then told they can't have AUs, attacked over silly harmless fluff like pink and blue weapons or blue babies or for spit balling about hypotheticals in aesthetics and symbolism. It will be hell for one side or the other even from their own ship mates.

I do get it if there's a clear "winner" there will be those ready to unleash what they see as years of resentment and treat others how they feel they have been treated.

Last edited:

ViolaaFox

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Viola A. Fox
Oh, there are so many people who think they're so above it all and above shippers whilst... talking exactly like shippers, lol. Extreme shippers, I might even add.

I mean, it's one thing to say that you don't care about the romance in FF7 and another to say "well, by the way, it was both girls but Cloud loved Aerith more and confessed his crush on Sephiroth on the water tower and everyone who thinks it's just Tifa is an idiot with zero media literacy".
I think somehow most of us are shippers, some more and some more closet shippers. Especially when you talk to theorists and they passively push their fav girl. I mean I'm more on the theory side but still enjoy the shipping aspect, no reason to hide it. This also means that I accept any direction SE will go with the Romantic theme. Whether I think it's good or bad is something else, but it should at least be tolerated.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
I think somehow most of us are shippers, some more and some more closet shippers. Especially when you talk to theorists and they passively push their fav girl. I mean I'm more on the theory side but still enjoy the shipping aspect, no reason to hide it. This also means that I accept any direction SE will go with the Romantic theme. Whether I think it's good or bad is something else, but it should at least be tolerated.
Well, I can understand why shippers have a bad name when you consider the harassment, twisting of canon, demanding validation from the authors and fandom at large, etc. But at the same time, it's supposed to be just this harmless fun thing that people can enjoy so there's really no point to pretend as if you (general you, lol) aren't a shipper and then act exactly like a shipper? If that made any sense, lmao.

ViolaaFox

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Viola A. Fox
Well, I can understand why shippers have a bad name when you consider the harassment, twisting of canon, demanding validation from the authors and fandom at large, etc. But at the same time, it's supposed to be just this harmless fun thing that people can enjoy so there's really no point to pretend as if you (general you, lol) aren't a shipper and then act exactly like a shipper? If that made any sense, lmao.
Exactly... we can all disagree on a ship and still treat each other with respect. I don't understand why some people take it so far with wanting their ship to be canon. One of my main fandoms (Atelier series) had very few official pairings until recently, but there was never any shipping drama when people disagreed. People just left each other alone.

It's inappropriate to attack other people in the fandom, but for someone to go against devs is absolutely unimaginable.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
Exactly... we can all disagree on a ship and still treat each other with respect. I don't understand why some people take it so far with wanting their ship to be canon. One of my main fandoms (Atelier series) had very few official pairings until recently, but there was never any shipping drama when people disagreed. People just left each other alone.

It's inappropriate to attack other people in the fandom, but for someone to go against devs is absolutely unimaginable.
I think I got into shipping in high school and I knew from the get-go that my ship was never going to be "canon". So I just never really developed this desire for canon validation or whatever. I'm also really introverted so I was happy shipping by lonesome and reading quality fan fiction. In fact, those fan fics were probably better than anything I would've gotten on screen, lol.

So I've never really understood the point of ship wars. Especially if all the ships involved are awful, lmao. Which isn't about FF7, by the way.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
It's not that hard for me to see because banter tease is CA's dynamic, Cloud deadpans, Aerith teases, Cloud deadpans, Aerith teases, sometimes it's a switch up and Cloud teases.

Thing is CAs are told to accept AUs then told they can't have AUs, attacked over silly harmless fluff like pink and blue weapons or blue babies or for spit balling about hypotheticals in aesthetics and symbolism. It will be hell for one side or the other even from their own ship mates.

I do get it if there's a clear "winner" there will be those ready to unleash what they see as years of resentment and treat others how they feel they have been treated.
I think the issue with a lot of the "harmless" stuff is that it isn't treated as harmless by the people who come up with it. They use it to prove canonicity and call others stupid for not seeing the obvious. I, personally, am able to ignore most of what I see on both sides because I am very confident in my media literacy, but other people genuinely get confused and feel as if they've misunderstood every thing when certain headcanons and AUs are being pushed as factual story content.

Pink and blue WEAPONS = Clerith is a fine silly AU but that's not how the people who come up with this stuff present it. They present it as fact. And if you don't see it as fact, you're public enemy number one, and that's what leads into animosity, mockery, and anger.

Bringing up the truth suddenly means that you're raining on CAs parade, as if the ones who peddle this shit aren't completely twisting the story around and presenting it incorrectly. And people rightfully get offended by them doing this because they're trying to sell this very unhealthy idea of Cloud being stagnant and having no sense of happiness or joy without Aerith.

It's supremely frustrating to read these types of "harmless theories" from the same people who claim that:

TW FOR SUICIDE
Cloud wants to hang himself with Aerith's ribbon so they can be united in death :/

There's just an insidiousness that's pushed by the big name fans of that ship, and when you recognize their talking points and arguments, it's very difficult to read anything they say as "harmless". Tbh more people in the fandom need to distance themselves from the people who are making these theories and pushing these canoncity arguments because a lot of them are just repeating it blindly, as if they're unable to think for themselves. It's deeply concerning to me, actually.

Edited to add additional context & thoughts.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Yeah, like, "the monkey pairing minigame in FF10 indicates the true pairing of FF7" was a serious argument that someone seriously put forward and got mad that people disagreed with.

There was also an argument put forward about Cloud's shop in FF8 having something to do with a ribbon and THAT was clear evidence that Aerith was endgame. There is no way to get a ribbon from this shop. In any form.

And of course, WacDonald's. People have been making shit up for literal decades for a ship at this point. I don't blame people for being sick of that side as a result.

I mean, yes, we should avoid the cycle of spite and "now it's your turn to be on the bottom" but fuck, that's a problem with human nature. The politics of revenge are a sociological phenomenon that have been going on for millennia and which we have not solved.

Last edited:

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
Bringing up the truth suddenly means that you're raining on CAs parade, as if the ones who peddle this shit aren't completely twisting the story around and presenting it incorrectly.

This is what can drive me nuts if I read too much LTD stuff. I understand interpretation but some things I read are just so ass backwards. I’ll never tell someone they’re wrong, but I will think it.

Like it’s fine if you think Cloud loves Aerith, but you can’t tell me I’m wrong to say he loves Tifa when the game has made them kiss. You can’t convince me that Cloud is jealous and that’s why he kissed her. You also can’t tell me it’s not canon because it wasn’t the date used in credits or was a picture on some certain page of the ultimania.

It’s just nonsense.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
This is what can drive me nuts if I read too much LTD stuff. I understand interpretation but some things I read are just so ass backwards. I’ll never tell someone they’re wrong, but I will think it.

Like it’s fine if you think Cloud loves Aerith, but you can’t tell me I’m wrong to say he loves Tifa when the game has made them kiss. You can’t convince me that Cloud is jealous and that’s why he kissed her. You also can’t tell me it’s not canon because it wasn’t the date used in credits or was a picture on some certain page of the ultimania.

It’s just nonsense.
Exactly and you can't say that bc the baby WEAPONs are blue and pink that means Cloud loves Aerith and Tifa is friendzoned. Like, what??? lol

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
So why does blue = Cloud? Can’t say I’ve ever associated him with that color. I go more towards Materia colors personally.
Because Cloud’s Japanese VA also voices Giyu in the Demon Slayer anime.

He is the WATER hashira and WATER = BLUE. This links back to FF7 because WATER tower.

(I have no answer, probably because there’s no way there can be one)

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I think it's because the soldier uniform is technically a dark blue ???? But like... Zack's wearing the same uniform so, I also don't know where they're getting blue from. Or maybe his eyes? But again Zack's eyes are also blue lol.

Plus, as Cait Sith says in Rebirth, Clouds lucky colour is.... black. And that's the colour he chooses to wear after his real self is restored.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null

He is the WATER hashira and WATER = BLUE. This links back to FF7 because WATER tower.

Aha, and Aerith’s VA is Echidna from Re:Zero who is… not pink, BUT she hangs out with the Witch of Lust who totally has pink hair. And does lust not lead to babies?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Cloud's colour is purple because that's what he looked like on my CRT TV and it looks good in sprite form with his bright ass yellow hair.

Otherwise I guess in anything but the OG it's like a boring ass dusty navy ok fine

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer

Are these people blind? xD Clouds are WHITE and water has no color! The sky is blue, though :desu:

In all seriousness, RIP your brain cells. They're free join mine in rolling in their not-yet-grave because some of these theories are so off the wall that I can't even begin to parse them.

Top Bottom