SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
At least his kit is fun lol.
I very much disagree on this. The charge mechanic is unnecessarily annoying to manage and i just ended up using him as a support for Cloud when doing the Bonds of Friendship VR challenge that forces me to use him and Cloud only. Sephiroth is a lot more fun to use imo as far as the 2 extra characters kits go.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Look. All I'm saying there's a lot of beauty in the simplicity before so much convolution that is so beyond the expectation for any normal person to follow. Especially when what the expanded story is giving is kinda... lmfao.
That's something else I'm upset with the re;trilogy for. They had a chance to simplify and streamline things, to retcon and update things to make a more coherent, understandable experience.

Nope, they had to go with a (not) multiverse! Fuck sake.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Yes, ff7 is not strictly about romance, and people have the right not to care. But I don't think I've ever seen somebody say "ff7 isn't about romance" in good faith, in a way that isn't trying to put down people who are discussing this side of story. From what I've seen, it's used synonymously with "I don't care, shut up weird shipper", if you get me?
Yeah i get you. I'm sure a lot of it comes in bad faith discussions, but i also genuinely don't think everyone dismisses it entirely as a big aspect of the game.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
So I'm genuinely at a loss as to how much the narrative even wants anyone to care about Zack??? It just feels like the writers have no idea what they're doing with him
I think they know exactly what they're doing with him, it's just that they're not gonna tell us and this is the second instalment which needs to end with more questions than answers. But from the interviews the devs given, Zack's role in the trilogy was already decided long before production began. According to them, his involvement also has nothing to do with his popularity, he's supposedly just the right character for the role.

For a brief moment, they loved each other, but alas it was not meant to be, because she died. No, in fact, she was murdered! That moment has become more or less, part of the whole FF7 identity.

I find a lot of people have this interpretation of their relationship which is fascinating to me. I can't say that this is how I ever saw things even back in the OG. For a brief moment, their lives overlap, yes but real!Cloud is in love with someone else. There's a whole different woman at the centre of his entire subconscious, a woman that he does everything for and whose opinion matters most to him.

Knowing that, I always believed that even if Aerith lived, his feelings for Tifa would win out regardless. The only way to get around Cloud being in love with Tifa is to say that Tifa doesn't feel the same way about him but... she does. So, I never quite understood the idea that if Aerith lives she would be declared the victor of Clouds heart.

Last edited:

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I would argue that she absolutely does.

-She saw the flower she said would make a great gift for Cloud's girlfriend in Seventh Heaven, and smiled. This was after she asked him who he gave it to, to which he said "I don't remember".

-Yuffie was able to pick up on it in a matter of days. If the emotionally mature Aerith can't pick up on it in a couple weeks, then everything feels inconsistent.

-Omni Aerith knows more than she lets on.

-Aerith in Rebirth does atleast know how important Tifa is to Cloud. She laments that she doesn't have a friend like Tifa is to Cloud that she can reminisce with, and she more or less tells him to cherish her after their argument in Kalm.

-She teases Cloud sitting on the water tower trying to catch gimpses of Tifa.

-She's present in Gongaga, when Yuffie and Cait Sith are begging them to kiss while they are having an intimate conversation. Since Cloud and Tifa can hear whispers through the door, I'm certain atleast some of that conversation was audible through the door, and that Aerith was able to hear some of it.

-Cloud would go as far as to drop everything he's doing to pretend to be a sex worker if it means he can help Tifa. And humiliate himself on stage.

After all this, you're willfully ignorant if you don't pick up on it. Which is why it makes no sense for the supposedly emotionally mature Aerith to not pick up on it. Nevermind the obviously complicated and deep past Cloud and Tifa have with each other.

This also isn't to say we should judge Aerith if she did pick up on these feelings or not. This post isn't meant to prove Aerith is some sort of homewrecker, she isn't. It's just that having Aerith be completely ignorant towards how Cloud feels about Tifa feels inconsistent with what we are shown.

Yes, ff7 is not strictly about romance, and people have the right not to care. But I don't think I've ever seen somebody say "ff7 isn't about romance" in good faith, in a way that isn't trying to put down people who are discussing this side of story. From what I've seen, it's used synonymously with "I don't care, shut up weird shipper", if you get me?
I still think she has no way of knowing CT’s relationship is advancing from childhood friends to something more. Even in Nibelheim, She explicitly refers to them as childhood friends. She says “To have a friend you've known since you were a kid…”

• Just because she teases Cloud for having a crush back when they were kids isn’t an indication that she’s currently aware on both Cloud and Tifa’s feelings or where they stand now. Especially considering he can react optionally to deny or affirm it. (And in my opinion, even though Tifa did open up to Aerith about Cloud’s current mental state, I doubt she would open up to her or be fully honest about her romantic feelings for him).
  • Back in Gongaga, Aerith wasn’t eavesdropping on CT like Yuffie and Cait Sith.
  • I’m not saying Aerith is fully unaware of CT, she certainly understands that they’re special to each other and they have a bond that’s one of a kind, but she just doesn’t know the extent of it, and how serious it actually is for both characters. I don’t think she knows that it’s love, even if the players do.
  • I just personally don’t believe she should be held to having a bigger responsibility about this especially considering that Cloud can (optionally) spend more time with her than with Tifa depending on the player’s choices, as well. I think this inconsistency of certain characters “not being aware of a story-driven development of a romantic relationship” can be attributed by the devs wanting to implement an affinity system where Aerith is also presented as a character option for Cloud to take on dates.
  • So if Aerith is somehow lacking clarity on what CT is right now, I think some of that confusion can be attributed to Cloud who can pick her (or not pick Tifa) for spend time events and dates.
  • Also I don’t think the Aerith who smiled at the flower in seventh heaven is our Aerith.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I was honestly surprised they gave Tifa this kinda role tied with the planet instead of Aerith.
Looking back, I have to agree. It is strange lol. I feel like Aerith’s role in the story isn’t really prominent until the last couple of chapters? It might even just be at the temple? Because afterwards it goes back to her having a date with Cloud and being about her romantic feelings. Maybe in Part 3 Aerith and Zack will have a bigger role that is more focused on how she does her part in saving the world.

I like to think of Rebirth in the trilogy as “here are the good times” before it gets heavier.

So I'm genuinely at a loss as to how much the narrative even wants anyone to care about Zack??? It just feels like the writers have no idea what they're doing with him.
This is how I felt. It kind of took me out of the moment as well. I was like “that’s it?” Then Cloud is delusional at the end and doesn’t mention it. I guess maybe in the next part he’ll explain how he continued to see Aerith and also fought Sephiroth with Zack…

This also isn't to say we should judge Aerith if she did pick up on these feelings or not. This post isn't meant to prove Aerith is some sort of homewrecker, she isn't. It's just that having Aerith be completely ignorant towards how Cloud feels about Tifa feels inconsistent with what we are shown.
I honestly don’t judge Aerith’s character for it because I think that this is one of two things. It’s either bad writing or a casualty of the affinity mechanic.

So I can’t even complain about Aerith because it just doesn’t even exist in the story. Which to me is a weak point in the romantic subplot.

ViolaaFox

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Viola A. Fox
I'm not even sure what "not tolerating it" looks like, like, are they gonna declare war on SE?

I wonder if that's what it is. It's not for me at least. I have ships I care about more than Cloud x Tifa that turned out not to be endgame. And while that absolutely sucked and ruined those stories for me I never argued that they were endgame before the series ended, and I never pretended that they are the true couple post-show. For me the only reason I argue about this is because I believe it's blatantly obvious and there is something about me that absolutely hates it when people refuse to just accept the blatantly obvious. It just drives me up the wall, regardless of how meaningless it is. If anything, the meaninglessness makes me more annoyed that people don't accept it.

The thing is, the developers have already been harassed. Especially if you remember the interview in which NPTK was also included. After that a wave of hate started because it didn't turn out to be a Clerith shipping song. It gives you the vibes of "Why does the author pretend to know so much about their work?".

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
So if Aerith is somehow lacking clarity on what CT is right now, I think some of that confusion can be attributed to Cloud who can pick her (or not pick Tifa) for spend time events and dates.
Cloud doesn't really pick the person though? They pick Cloud. Important distinction to make.

Cloud didn't show up to Aerith's door: "hey, wanna spend some time with me?" at the exclusion of asking Tifa that question. It's the other way around.

Also I don’t think the Aerith who smiled at the flower in seventh heaven is our Aerith.
It isn't, but I don't know why it would get memory holed either. It wasn't future knowledge or anything. She told him it would make a great gift for his girlfriend, and she saw it in Tifa's bar. Simple. She'd still remember saying that, and still remember that Cloud gave it to Tifa, regardless of whether it's our Aerith or not.

I still think she has no way of knowing CT’s relationship is advancing from childhood friends to something more. Even in Nibelheim, She explicitly refers to them as childhood friends. She says “To have a friend you've known since you were a kid…”
There's a difference between knowing whether or not their relationship is evolving, and knowing there's a spark between them, though.

Obviously, Aerith doesn't know that Cloud and Tifa love each other. But to act like she hasn't a clue is just incorrect.

And obviously she's going to call them childhood friends? They aren't in a relationship during the game, so I don't know what else she'd call them. I don't go around calling my friend and his crush "boyfriend and girlfriend" if they literally aren't, even if I know he likes the person romantically.

Besides, Aerith says to Cloud "but she's someone special, right?" after Cloud mumbles Tifa's name at the tail end of a spontaneous headache, so that's hardly being completely ignorant to the situation.

Back in Gongaga, Aerith wasn’t eavesdropping on CT like Yuffie and Cait Sith.
The problem is, if Cloud and Tifa heard a whisper through the door, the why wasn't Aerith hear able to hear Cloud and Tifa, who were both talking at a more audible level than Yuffie and Cait Sith.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I find a lot of people have this interpretation of their relationship which is fascinating to me. I can't say that this is how I ever saw things even back in the OG. For a brief moment, their lives overlap, yes but real!Cloud is in love with someone else. There's a whole different woman at the centre of his entire subconscious, a woman that he does everything for and whose opinion matters most to him.

Knowing that, I always believed that even if Aerith lived, his feelings for Tifa would win out regardless. The only way to get around Cloud being in love with Tifa is to say that Tifa doesn't feel the same way about him but... she does. So, I never quite understood the idea that if Aerith lives she would be declared the victor of Clouds heart.

For me, it's literally marketing that has taken over people's sense of reading. And that makes me sad.

Yes, Cloud and Aerith was the FF7 OG poster. But there's what the ads say... and what the game says... and I can't believe that after all this time people can't see past that and that the third game is expected to be a betrayal if anyone dares to show that yes, Aerith and Cloud aren't in love in the end.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I would argue that she absolutely does.

-She saw the flower she said would make a great gift for Cloud's girlfriend in Seventh Heaven, and smiled. This was after she asked him who he gave it to, to which he said "I don't remember".

-Yuffie was able to pick up on it in a matter of days. If the emotionally mature Aerith can't pick up on it in a couple weeks, then everything feels inconsistent.

-Omni Aerith knows more than she lets on.

-Aerith in Rebirth does atleast know how important Tifa is to Cloud. She laments that she doesn't have a friend like Tifa is to Cloud that she can reminisce with, and she more or less tells him to cherish her after their argument in Kalm.

-She teases Cloud sitting on the water tower trying to catch gimpses of Tifa.

-She's present in Gongaga, when Yuffie and Cait Sith are begging them to kiss while they are having an intimate conversation. Since Cloud and Tifa can hear whispers through the door, I'm certain atleast some of that conversation was audible through the door, and that Aerith was able to hear some of it.

-Cloud would go as far as to drop everything he's doing to pretend to be a sex worker if it means he can help Tifa. And humiliate himself on stage.

After all this, you're willfully ignorant if you don't pick up on it. Which is why it makes no sense for the supposedly emotionally mature Aerith to not pick up on it. Nevermind the obviously complicated and deep past Cloud and Tifa have with each other.

Not to mention that we know that Tifa straight up admitted to being in love with Cloud when she was younger. Yuffie straight up says Tifa said so, do we really think Aerith was not there to hear that? Sure its couched in the past, since of course it would be, but combine that with all the evidence about how they're feeling NOW, well. She'd be an idiot not to know.

But I don't think I've ever seen somebody say "ff7 isn't about romance" in good faith
YES!, Thank you!

That's something else I'm upset with the re;trilogy for. They had a chance to simplify and streamline things, to retcon and update things to make a more coherent, understandable experience.

Nope, they had to go with a (not) multiverse! Fuck sake.
Another "Yes thank you"
Same. I get thinking this in remake since it goes a lot deeper into Cloud and Aeriths bond, but I literally see 0 signs of Cloud giving a single crap about Aerith in the OG more than he does about any other party member. Sticking strictly to the OG I see them as having about as much of a romantic connection as Tidus and Rikku. At the very least Tidus had a single dream where Rikku and Yuna fight over him. Aerith didn't even have that. The only "evidence" for CA in the original is that it conforms to expected stereotypes about "first girl = love interest", "white mage = love interest", "main female hero = love interest" etc.

• I just personally don’t believe she should be held to having a bigger responsibility about this especially considering that Cloud can (optionally) spend more time with her than with Tifa depending on the player’s choices, as well. I think this inconsistency of certain characters “not being aware of a story-driven development of a romantic relationship” can be attributed by the devs wanting to implement an affinity system where Aerith is also presented as a character option for Cloud to take on dates.
  • So if Aerith is somehow lacking clarity on what CT is right now, I think some of that confusion can be attributed to Cloud who can pick her (or not pick Tifa) for spend time events and dates.
But he can't, side quests just sorta happen, and Aerith initiates the dates. What's more Cloud explicitly tries to keep Aerith at a distance while he's always engaged with Tifa. Is she blind? Does she not realize that when she talks about food Cloud is curt and uninterested while when Tifa does it he's trying to keep the conversation going? How is Yuffie more aware of this than Aerith? Yuffie straight up tells Aerith "Tifa will just have to crack the whip" and there is not a single "what do you mean" in sight from Aerith?
Aerith also actively seems to try to goad Tifa when it comes to Cloud, like grabbing his arm in Kalm and watching them both be upset at this, again, is this a wise in-tune spiritual girl, or is this an idiot?
Cloud doesn't really pick the person though? They pick Cloud. Important distinction to make.

Cloud didn't show up to Aerith's door: "hey, wanna spend some time with me?" at the exclusion of asking Tifa that question. It's the other way around.
Exactly. This is something that always bothered me about the OG arguments.
People constantly talk about the dates as if they mean something. Even sites act as though "going on a date" means "being a love interest". When Cloud never chooses who to go with, and never starts dating either of them, it's literally irrelevant.

Also, to come back on something said earlier about Aeriths importance.....I have to disagree, she really isn't, or wasn't I should say.
Aerith is like the iceberg in the Titanic, it's very important in that its what sinks the ship, but the iceberg itself doesn't really matter, just that the ship sinks. What matters is the story between Rose and Jack, as well as the hubris of humanity in thinking they made an unsinkable ship and them going too fast and not having life boats etc.

Aerith is important in the same way, she's needed to summon Holy, but that's about it, in the OG she's literally just a MacGuffin. She matters very much as a cog in the external conflict against Sephiroth, but in the internal one she's irrelevant. Without Aerith you'd still have Sephiroth killing Nibelheim, you'd still have Cloud joining AVALANCHE in the fight against Shinra, you'd still have the general story of a corporation sucking out the lifeblood of the planet. Sephiroth would still steal Jenova, Cloud will still go after him, Cloud would still have his attacks, he'd still lose his mind, the lifestream would still happen, meteor would still happen. You can remove Aerith from the story entirely and almost nothing about the story would change. You'd need a new reason to go to SHINRA HQ and you'd need to find a new MacGuffin to summon holy, but that's it. Aeriths existence improves the story because the existence of the Ancient spiritual creature ties into the themes about life and nature, but the story functions perfectly fine without it. The same goes for her death, it hurts, but it changes nothing, it's not what breaks Cloud, and Cloud would have broken without it as well.

In fact, I will state right here that If you changed Aerith from a humanoid to some sort of non-verbal animal like spirit that represents nature and has the same general powers, absolutely not a SINGLE thing about the story would change. Which is quite ironic because usually Tifa is the one who is claimed to not matter, which betrays a gross lack of understanding concerning storytelling.

Don't get me wrong though, this 100% does NOT apply to Remake, she definitely matters there. I think this is one of the reasons in fact that remake added in the changes concerning destiny and what not, because they realized that Aerith didn't matter in the OG and they needed to actually add some emotional significance to her and make her relevant to the internal plot. They did something similar with Tifa through the Gongaga sequence, which made Tifa appear more crucial to the external one. This is also not meant to be some sort of attack on Aerith, I am not trying to call her useless or anything, it's just that when I analyze Aeriths actual importance to the plot of FFVII it's all mechanical, like Cid only being necessary in Rebirth to get us from A to B.

Last edited:

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyVII/comments/1d0n1sg/_/l5r7quu This person back saying they wanted a debate and now just saying ITS CLEAR that CLOUD would choose Aerith over Tifa if she was alive.

25th Memorial Ultimania: Sephiroth “Robbed Cloud of His Beloved” :)

Sephiroth: the enemy Cloud admired in his youth, the one who robbed him of his beloved, and who is the nucleus of the Reunion. As the Planet’s enemy and for all these reasons, Cloud’s battle will not end until he settles things one-on-one with him.
This the source they are using let me guess mistranslation?

Last edited:

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyVII/comments/1d0n1sg/_/l5r7quu This person back saying they wanted a debate and now just saying ITS CLEAR that CLOUD would choose Aerith over Tifa if she was alive.

Sephiroth: the enemy Cloud admired in his youth, the one who robbed him of his beloved, and who is the nucleus of the Reunion. As the Planet’s enemy and for all these reasons, Cloud’s battle will not end until he settles things one-on-one with him.Is this a mistranslation again
It's certainly a disengenuous translation:

1716737916312.png

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

Sephiroth: the enemy Cloud admired in his youth, the one who robbed him of his beloved, and who is the nucleus of the Reunion. As the Planet’s enemy and for all these reasons, Cloud’s battle will not end until he settles things one-on-one with him.
She got pointed to the Clerith subreddit and asked them for talking points. She wants a debate in the sense of "let me reiterate my canned responses" not "let us present our sides and let the audience decide"

You kinda notice she's making claims with no evidence or citations in direct contradiction to the evidence?

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
She got pointed to the Clerith subreddit and asked them for talking points. She wants a debate in the sense of "let me reiterate my canned responses" not "let us present our sides and let the audience decide"

You kinda notice she's making claims with no evidence or citations in direct contradiction to the evidence?
they sent me the Cloud is robbed of his beloved stuff do you know the actual translation XD

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer

It isn't, but I don't know why it would get memory holed either. It wasn't future knowledge or anything. She told him it would make a great gift for his girlfriend, and she saw it in Tifa's bar. Simple. She'd still remember saying that, and still remember that Cloud gave it to Tifa, regardless of whether it's our Aerith or not.

There's a difference between knowing whether or not their relationship is evolving, and knowing there's a spark between them, though.

Obviously, Aerith doesn't know that Cloud and Tifa love each other. But to act like she hasn't a clue is just incorrect.

And obviously she's going to call them childhood friends? They aren't in a relationship during the game, so I don't know what else she'd call them. I don't go around calling my friend and his crush "boyfriend and girlfriend" if they literally aren't, even if I know he likes the person romantically.

Besides, Aerith says to Cloud "but she's someone special, right?" after Cloud mumbles Tifa's name at the tail end of a spontaneous headache, so that's hardly being completely ignorant to the situation.

The problem is, if Cloud and Tifa heard a whisper through the door, the why wasn't Aerith hear able to hear Cloud and Tifa, who were both talking at a more audible level than Yuffie and Cait Sith.
The character picks Cloud because of HIS actions prior to the GS date/s (the spend time events/quests where he gets to pick which character to go for) the affinity system is being able to influence the other characters based on what choices and actions the players makes Cloud do, first and foremost.

I don’t think Tifa telling Yuffie about her feelings when she was a kid automatically means Tifa would say to both Aerith and Yuffie that she loves Cloud now. Tifa also said accdg to Yuffie (GS date) that “she was so busy after the move to Midgar that she forgot all about you (Cloud) too.”

Btw, I’m of the opinion that all the GS dates are canon and in-character. So if CT is supposed to be the obvious thing that everyone in the party should pick up on, how come in Barret’s GS date, Barret doesn’t know who Cloud likes and is curious to find out? It tells me that it’s in character for Cloud to hide his feelings for Tifa (or not make it obvious to others) just as much as it’s in character for him to affirm mutual feelings with her if given the chance to be in an intimate setting with her.

Cloud and Tifa sharing mutual feelings is supposed to be a spoiler at this point of the story, there are enough hints to allude to them being endgame but not every character within the universe has to know that that’s what’s going to happen.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer

• Aerith dies
  • Cloud continues his journey without too much concern
  • "Downplays" her death by talking about sacrifice, before being taken back by Tifa who "yells at him" because no, her death is cruel and she didn't deserve it. She wanted to live.

And just before losing his mind, one of his last thoughts as SOLDIER Cloud supposedly in love with Aerith is :

1716738480710.jpeg

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
The character picks Cloud because of HIS actions prior to the GS date/s (the spend time events/quests where he gets to pick which character to go for)
You think Cloud is aware he's playing a dating Sim? You think that when Cloud is in Dons dungeon telling Tifa that "We gotta help Aerith!" that he's aware that he's rizzing up Tifa and consciously trying to do that?

Btw, I’m of the opinion that all the GS dates are canon and in-character. So if CT is supposed to be the obvious thing that everyone in the party should pick up on, how come in Barret’s GS date, Barret doesn’t know who Cloud likes and is curious to find out? It tells me that it’s in character for Cloud to hide his feelings for Tifa (or not make it obvious to others) just as much as it’s in character for him to affirm mutual feelings with her if given the chance to be in an intimate setting with her.
I believe he absolutely does now, his other actions certainly seem to imply as much, it's just that he's trying to get it out of Cloud rather than putting words in his mouth.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I see a lot of people use Cloud breaking out of Sephiroth’s control when he sees the whispers surrounding Aerith as some sort of evidence.

Tifa does the same thing on other occasions, and it’s still not even something I consider as evidence of his love regarding Tifa, personally. There are much bigger examples of what the narrative is trying to tell me when it comes to Tifa and Cloud.

I guess it just bothers me when tiny things are isolated as evidence while the bigger picture is pushed aside.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Just because she teases Cloud for having a crush back when they were kids isn’t an indication that she’s currently aware on both Cloud and Tifa’s feelings or where they stand now. Especially considering he can react optionally to deny or affirm it. (And in my opinion, even though Tifa did open up to Aerith about Cloud’s current mental state, I doubt she would open up to her or be fully honest about her romantic feelings for him).
Yeah i do think she did omit the water tower bit in ToTP where she admitted to falling in love with Cloud. She was just thinking of that portion in her head but didn't actually spell it out to the others when retelling her past.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
they sent me the Cloud is robbed of his beloved stuff do you know the actual translation XD
The official translation is correct. I can tell you for a fact that section does not mention anything about a beloved, or Aerith, or anything like that.

Damn they added so many words that weren't there, that's crazy LMAO. It's not even a translation, just fanfiction.
And this is why many people are sick of the "Clerith is endgame" side. So. Many. Fucking. Lies.

Top Bottom