SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
In continuing news following up trom the ceasefire suggestion, there's now a recommended blocklist being passed out in the CA subreddit. To prevent sensitive CA eyes from seeing the harshness of truth CT posts
Well, they have the right to do that so it's all good.

I guess the only thing I would say about that is that they are doing the metaphorical equivalent of:

unnamed (1).jpg

A lot of CTs do this too so it's just part of how online discourse works. Personally, I wouldn't block anyone myself. As long as you can give me a good argument and have the decency to hear out my counter-arguments in good faith. If you can do that, I would love to conversate with you despite having a conflicting opinion.

It's when you take what I have to say in bad faith or view the story and characters themselves in bad faith... that's when I will get angry with you.

Reaper3Delta

Lv. 25 Adventurer
In continuing news following up trom the ceasefire suggestion, there's now a recommended blocklist being passed out in the CA subreddit. To prevent sensitive CA eyes from seeing the harshness of truth CT posts
This reminds me of a Clerith that added a Cloti quote from during the under the highwind scene to a chapter 14 dream date picture, got embarrassed for it and then confirmed never playing FF7 before.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
They also put CT fanartists who never participate in debates lol.
A lot of CTs do this too so it's just part of how online discourse works. Personally, I wouldn't block anyone myself. As long as you can give me a good argument and have the decency to hear out my counter-arguments in good faith. If you can do that, I would love to conversate with you despite having a conflicting opinion.
I block everything tbh because I don’t have the time to read their BS. I’ve already read it eons ago, it’s the same old, same new.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
They also put CT fanartists who never participate in debates lol.

I block everything tbh because I don’t have the time to read their BS. I’ve already read it eons ago, it’s the same old, same new.
Oh, of course. I don't begrudge anyone from doing it, regardless of whether they are CT or CA. But I've found that with the latter, they do it more often with simple counter-arguments rather than actual toxicity.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Well, they have the right to do that so it's all good.

I guess the only thing I would say about that is that they are doing the metaphorical equivalent of:

View attachment 17163

It's when you take what I have to say in bad faith or view the story and characters themselves in bad faith... that's when I will get angry with you.
Yeah, I'm not saying no one's allowed to block, I just found it hilarious that the 'they can see us here!' left to someone posting their blocklist like it was a public service. The response to that list from the CTs on it has primarily been amusement from the people who argue, and confusion from fanartists and the like.

This reminds me of a Clerith that added a Cloti quote from during the under the highwind scene to a chapter 14 dream date picture, got embarrassed for it and then confirmed never playing FF7 before.
You didn't quite link the post correctly, here

Oh, of course. I don't begrudge anyone from doing it, regardless of whether they are CT or CA. But I've found that with the latter, they do it more often with simple counter-arguments rather than actual toxicity.
Often the worst words you can say to these people are "you are wrong and here is why"

Xannis

Rookie Adventurer
In uh, other news, this has been getting pilloried recently. A Clerith offers a "ceasefire" in the idea of proposing that CT stop shipping Tifa with Cloud and with Barret instead.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cloudxaerith/comments/1ew2wyh
How the hell this would lead to a ceasefire is beyond me. I might think it would be a troll, but then again, Poe's law.
Damn that's some brain space I won't get back. I'd think it was a troll too but check out same posters "This Space Has been Infiltrated!!!" post and it seems like not.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Damn that's some brain space I won't get back. I'd think it was a troll too but check out same posters "This Space Has been Infiltrated!!!" post and it seems like not.
Honestly, it might have been intentional in order to soak up pity given the way that poster's been acting. It's a train wreck over there. Moreso than usual, that is.

Last edited:

Fakewings_

Rookie Adventurer
A bit off-topic, but I think P3 SE should focus on developing a truly meaningful storyline Instead of maintaining a vague stance & fueling the LTD. “2 girls are in love with 1 man” in this era has become outdated and lacks practicality. Let the players gradually experience and reflect on the characters' personalities, the hidden messages, and the storyline rather than focusing on the question: Who does Cloud love?
Then why not create a truly unforgettable, undeniable and consistent love story throughout the entire narrative? Let’s make the LS and UHW scene go beyond the scene between TidusxYuna, so that players many years later still remember one of the romantic, beautiful and strongly connected scenes between the two characters. Let’s end LTD completely.
Take a look at the rising game Black Myth: Wukong—it keeps players glued to the screen with its incredibly detailed graphics, a multi-layered storyline, and beautifully interwoven love stories, really like a movie. Instead, we, 3 years later, could still have to think and analyze the ambiguous actions of the hero and the conflicting perspectives of each side.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
A bit off-topic, but I think P3 SE should focus on developing a truly meaningful storyline Instead of maintaining a vague stance & fueling the LTD. “2 girls are in love with 1 man” in this era has become outdated and lacks practicality. Let the players gradually experience and reflect on the characters' personalities, the hidden messages, and the storyline rather than focusing on the question: Who does Cloud love?
Then why not create a truly unforgettable, undeniable and consistent love story throughout the entire narrative? Let’s make the LS and UHW scene go beyond the scene between TidusxYuna, so that players many years later still remember one of the romantic, beautiful and strongly connected scenes between the two characters. Let’s end LTD completely.
I personally think that they are going to end the LTD in a very unambiguous way. With CT and ZA. And there are 2 huge hints in Rebirth that Cloud will actually confess his feelings to Tifa (although he already kind of did in the OG, it will be even clearer this time around).

If you look at Rebirth, the whole game is already shouting at you that Cloud loves Tifa. They have the romance arc in the main story and are built up properly for p3. CA got a proper goodbye, but one-sided feelings. P3 will be CT and ZA game (and more to the point, as much as Rebirth was an Aerith game, p3 will be Tifa's game especially).

Fakewings_

Rookie Adventurer
If you look at Rebirth, the whole game is already shouting at you that Cloud loves Tifa. They have the romance arc in the main story and are built up properly for p3. CA got a proper goodbye, but one-sided feelings. P3 will be CT and ZA game (and more to the point, as much as Rebirth was an Aerith game, p3 will be Tifa's game.
I do agree with you about 90%.
Why do I say SE is being intentionally ambiguous? Because I haven't seen a clear explanation of the significance of the hand-holding scene at the end between C&A. Is it that, deep down, C knows A is dead, and he's trying to hold onto a piece of A's? Or is SE deliberately trying to maintain the ambiguity forever?
If it’s just about recreating the scene from AC, then there’s no need for them to intertwine their fingers like that. That’s why I think P3 is the last chance for SE to make it clear and create a truly impactful game. Instead of being willing to tease both sides just for money.

Shadowstorm

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Yen
Hate to be a stick in the mud here, but having some level of ambiguity about a character's feelings about another character at the time of her death isn't inherently a bad thing. Having things left up for viewers interpretation that can be discussed even after a story is over without a definite answer is considered a sign of good writing in many circles even.

I fully expect them to commit to CT and ZA next part, but they may well never give us a solid answer to how Cloud felt about Aerith and I think that's fine. It's not a creator's responsibility to manage online discourse about their work.

edit: just to be clear though, I already think Squeenix is being very blatant about the ships I'm just not rooting for a slideshow or a (more) explicit Clerith friendzoning

Fakewings_

Rookie Adventurer
What I mean is that in P3, they don’t necessarily need to confirm C’s feelings for A, but they should avoid introducing any more details that lead to controversial interpretations, especially after C has rediscovered himself and considering what T has done for C. T deserves to be treated fairly and with respect.
Additionally, I hope the devs focus more on exploring C’s pain after the deaths of his loved ones: his mother, Zack, and Aerith. The deaths of his mother and Zack should have been emphasized more because they are the ones who truly died for him to live. Especially his mother—her death doesn’t seem to leave any real pain or torment (based on what I’ve seen in the game, AC, and Ulti). This frustrates me greatly, as the death of his only family member doesn’t carry as much weight as that of a girl he met for less than two weeks. It’s weird and lack of depth.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
To be honest, if Cloud kissing Tifa, the games setting up Aerith and Zack's reunion, Cloud telling Aerith "let's make more memories we're nakama", and Aerith saying she isn't even sure of her like don't remove this "ambiguity," then I hardly think anything will. I mean, what more do people want or expect?

Maybe at some point, the fault isn't in the writing? Maybe the fault is in the people viewing everything as explicitly or implicitly romantic?

This frustrates me greatly, as the death of his only family member doesn’t carry as much weight as that of a girl he met for less than two weeks. It’s weird and lack of depth.
To be fair, I think they've already added more weight to Claudia? And I do suspect we'll see more in P3.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I don't think we can measure or weigh things this way as it's different for everyone and might not work out that way logically. For example I see people criticise Zack for not always putting Aerith first and foremost, for hesitating or being indecisive, saying he "picked Biggs over her", while I thought that's Aerith’s friend, ofc Zack will save him. I don't even think it matter if Zack only knew Bigg's five minutes it'd torment him he lost him because Zack has already lost so much by then. I think it's similar to Cloud.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
They'll likely be pretty explicit about CT and ZA. I actually think they're gonna balance his guilt over Zack and Aerith in Part 3. He'll not only have to come to terms with her death, but he'll also have to realize his best friend died for him to live.

In fact, I feel like they're already setting up for it. We're gonna see Cloud mourn Zack in the next game just as much as Aerith.

"Zack was my friend. How could I forget him like that?" will hit much harder when he realizes he still didn't remember the full truth.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I fully expect them to commit to CT and ZA next part, but they may well never give us a solid answer to how Cloud felt about Aerith and I think that's fine. It's not a creator's responsibility to manage online discourse about their work.
I think it's fine because the OG was designed that way: as the player, you could think Cloud's feelings for Aerith were romantic or not. But it was more a player view, so it was never canon.

His love for Tifa though was always canon and I think they're going to hammer it in such way that even if you think he loved Aerith, you won't be able to deny his love for Tifa. A lot of people have thought that if Aerith would've lived, he would've chosen her, but personally I think that Rebirth shows the contrary: in the dates, there's only one kiss. Sure the dates are what-ifs situations, but we're shown that he loves Tifa romantically, and his love for Aerith is much more on a platonic level - one could even say he spent their date as a stand in for Zack, both in the play and the gondola. That's what Rebirth shows, ultimately, and when we'll look at the bigger picture after p3, I think it will force a lot of people to give another reading to it.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/1f07ua4
A lot of discussion on this post about the Japanese for Aerith answering Cloud about Zack. I never realised there was a difference?
There really isn't one. Ironically, the best explanation for her response her comes in her gold saucer date where she explains she realized that she had been falling into a Zack trap with Cloud even through she's been trying to move on. The only reason she has to dislike Zack is that he's gone, and that's not his fault.

MissMDusk

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Mari
Nothing much to add on what we already know, but someone caught this dialogue that feels awfully like CT... here.

It could also be ZA, as if they're inseparable from each other mentally even if they're separated "physically" in the LS, but the fact the characters even look like aged-up CT to me, I dunno 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Top Bottom