SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
Sounds like we are all on the same page here. こいびとつなぎ (koibito tsunagi) is undoubtedly “intimate” but still vague enough to be open to interpretation. It’s a great ambiguous (slightly romantic-leading) representation of Cloud and Aerith’s relationship.

Also, anyone else feel like the topic of this thread has shifted from Cloud Tifa Aerith to Cloud Aerith Zack? XD

Feel free to chime in if you feel different, but there’s really no way to discuss ambiguity in Cloud/Tifa’s relationship now that he has straight up kissed her.
Yeah the creators were clearly flirting with the idea of Clerith but leaving it ambiguous enough that it's nothing set in stone. Whereas they really took Tifa and Cloud and were like 'lets leave nothing up to interpretation.'

Though I keep seeing Clerith pages saying that nothing with Tifa counts because it's 'all based off of optional scenes' so we're clearly ignoring the romantic tension of them both lingering at the door, almost kissing and frequently comforting one another through touch. But you know. Shipping goggles.

Definitely at this point it's more
Tifa <-> Cloud <-?-> Aerith <-> Zack

I didn't put a question mark between Aerith and Zack just cause it's clearly stated she loved him and the past tense is only there because everyone assumes his dead. And you know, she's obviously still fond of him.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
I don't know which part of Asia you're from but definitely it's all very culturally different from the anglosphere.
South East Asia. And yeah, definitely on the cultural differences. There are similarities, for certain, but that's about it.

a lot of cultural subtlety that's lost on the Western audience when it comes to popular culture things that make it over here. Even just in the subbing and dubbing.
Very true. I mean, as an example of a popular fandom, Persona suffers from that in some respects.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
@Empyrea yeah it's tricky to explain the differences to people too. One of my friends is Korean and said there was a lot lost in translation in Squid Game too. Lots of little subtle things that people outside of Korea would have completely missed.

I think it's kind of the same in reverse to be fair. Popular foreign shows in any country are always going to be perceived differently dependant on the the culture it's consumed by.

Axiom

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Axiom
Also, anyone else feel like the topic of this thread has shifted from Cloud Tifa Aerith to Cloud Aerith Zack? XD

Feel free to chime in if you feel different, but there’s really no way to discuss ambiguity in Cloud/Tifa’s relationship now that he has straight up kissed her.

A kiss is one of those things that speaks for itself. We can squabble over whether Aerith got over Zack, and whether Cloud has developed romantic feelings for Aerith, and how intimate interlocking fingers are. But a kiss is a kiss.

I suppose we can argue that the gold saucer dates are optional, but that is a weak argument. Logically, Cloud's personality is the same no matter who he goes on a date with. It's not like doing a few chores or answering some questions differently is going to dramatically change who he likes.

Last edited:

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
Yeah the creators were clearly flirting with the idea of Clerith but leaving it ambiguous enough that it's nothing set in stone. Whereas they really took Tifa and Cloud and were like 'lets leave nothing up to interpretation.'

Though I keep seeing Clerith pages saying that nothing with Tifa counts because it's 'all based off of optional scenes' so we're clearly ignoring the romantic tension of them both lingering at the door, almost kissing and frequently comforting one another through touch. But you know. Shipping goggles.

Definitely at this point it's more
Tifa <-> Cloud <-?-> Aerith <-> Zack

I didn't put a question mark between Aerith and Zack just cause it's clearly stated she loved him and the past tense is only there because everyone assumes his dead. And you know, she's obviously still fond of him.
Yea, as of Rebirth, I think that is a pretty solid relationship chart and I hope that is the one the devs were going for.

Despite the fact that most of the Cloud and Aerith scenes in Chapter 13 and 14 are “non-optional”, none of them are as explicit and reciprocal as Cloud and Tifa’s GS date.

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer
As someone who loves Aerith, I personally think it’s just unsatisfying for her to romantically end up with someone who doesn’t reciprocate her (currently ambiguous) feelings. We know now that she’s not even sure if she loves Cloud. And at least in ZA she’s not chasing a man whose real self she hasn’t met yet. The point is, it was never important for her character to know the difference between real cloud and his soldier persona and that’s what’s mostly stopping me to get on board with that ship, when it’s arguably the big reveal to the whole plot of ff7 and is the crux of cloud’s entire character. Aerith developing “genuine (romantic?) feelings” for REAL cloud is irrelevant to her narrative, if that plotline even ever existed, it isn’t at the forefront of her personal story. She doesn’t interact with his real self until after she dies, and her character motivations go beyond the fact that he had a fake identity the whole time they knew each other, despite that, after her death she helps out not just him, but the entire party, she becomes a guardian watching over the planet and her friends from the afterlife, she fulfills her purpose in the story even without a specific classification of her relationship with cloud (whether platonic or romantic)

Lots of people argue that the Z/A shipper mindset is based on a bias for Zack, but those same people also severely mischaracterizes him (he’s NOT a “generic shounen protag” like they say he is but that’s completely different discussion), they insist he’s not important to the remake trilogy or is an overinflated NPC. The game also makes it a point to distinguish Zack and Cloud’s role in Aerith’s life, Zack isn’t just Aerith’s first love, he’s, quite frankly, the original. Which is why even Aerith subconsciously (?) tries to imitate what they had experienced together romantically, with another person. Zack became HER standard. He’s someone who can’t be replaced. That’s why she knows what’s liking someone and “”liking”” someone. It doesn’t matter if players aren’t convinced by ZA’s love story, if they claim it’s not well-written or if they don’t believe that ZA is more compatible than CA, fact is, cloud should already have an advantage because Z&A haven’t seen each other in 5 years, yet cloud doesn’t act on this advantage, and even up until the end of her life, even after Z&A are separated, Aerith is wavering, traces of Zack is the elephant in the room that keeps haunting CA’s ambiguously romantic situation.

Also I personally don’t find ZA and CA to be similar in dynamics at all. In CA it’s Cloud who warms up to her antics, but Zack has always been able to respond well to her energy, he even effectively comforts her about her personal fears, something I struggle to believe Cloud ever did. I’m an Aerith stan, so I want her to be loved. If you look at ff7’s plot as a whole, she just ends up being Cloud’s “what-if” while he was out there kissing other women, and I don’t want that for her. Zack called her his girlfriend, bragged about her to literally everyone he knew (to the point of even Sephiroth being aware of their relationship) and she wrote him 89 letters in the course of 5 years. So why shouldn’t she end up with Zack if they find themselves in the same place again? Clear, indisputable mutual yearning, mutual desire, is what I want for Aerith’s love story, as someone who’s a fan of hers.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
Yea, as of Rebirth, I think that is a pretty solid relationship chart and I hope that is the one the devs were going for.

Despite the fact that most of the Cloud and Aerith scenes in Chapter 13 and 14 are “non-optional”, none of them are as explicit and reciprocal as Cloud and Tifa’s GS date.
Yeah but tbh the last two chapters don't hold up the LTD to me too.

With Tifa and Cloud you have an absolutely amazing relationship building arc in Rebirth. We have their conflict in Kalm, the resolution where Cloud apologizes and they both linger at the door, the whole ass Gongaga sequence where Cloud goes like catatonic after attacking her and they have that meaningful conversation with him kneeling at her bedside and then almost kiss but get interrupted. Then in Nibelheim Cloud puts his arm around her and she comforts him in turn. Just like the entire build up is very organic and very clearly leading to an emotional climax for their relationship (and obviously if you do the GS that fits very naturally) and all the above is non optional and all throughout the game.

Now... we're in the final chapters, and we the viewers can see that Cloud is losing himself and falling under Jenovas influence more and more. He's really confused and scattered and has some wacked out dream moment with Aerith that is honestly just wild and kind of negative? And then he is devastated and refusing to acknowledge her death but like... That doesn't have romantic connotations to me at all? And it's clear every other member of the party thinks Cloud is off his rocker by this point (great build up to him realising Tifa doubts him and absolutely breaking down in the next game - LOVED that scene in the OG and they have so much build up in this one) so it's I dunno. Hard to connect the Cloud at the end of the game who is clearly largely dissociated from with romance and clear cut feelings.

shady

Pro Adventurer
As someone who loves Aerith, I personally think it’s just unsatisfying for her to romantically end up with someone who doesn’t reciprocate her (currently ambiguous) feelings. We know now that she’s not even sure if she loves Cloud. And at least in ZA she’s not chasing a man whose real self she hasn’t met yet. The point is, it was never important for her character to know the difference between real cloud and his soldier persona and that’s what’s mostly stopping me to get on board with that ship, when it’s arguably the big reveal to the whole plot of ff7 and is the crux of cloud’s entire character. Aerith developing “genuine (romantic?) feelings” for REAL cloud is irrelevant to her narrative, if that plotline even ever existed, it isn’t at the forefront of her personal story. She doesn’t interact with his real self until after she dies, and her character motivations go beyond the fact that he had a fake identity the whole time they knew each other, despite that, after her death she helps out not just him, but the entire party, she becomes a guardian watching over the planet and her friends from the afterlife, she fulfills her purpose in the story even without a specific classification of her relationship with cloud (whether platonic or romantic)

Lots of people argue that the Z/A shipper mindset is based on a bias for Zack, but those same people also severely mischaracterizes him (he’s NOT a “generic shounen protag” like they say he is but that’s completely different discussion), they insist he’s not important to the remake trilogy or is an overinflated NPC. The game also makes it a point to distinguish Zack and Cloud’s role in Aerith’s life, Zack isn’t just Aerith’s first love, he’s, quite frankly, the original. Which is why even Aerith subconsciously (?) tries to imitate what they had experienced together romantically, with another person. Zack became HER standard. He’s someone who can’t be replaced. That’s why she knows what’s liking someone and “”liking”” someone. It doesn’t matter if players aren’t convinced by ZA’s love story, if they claim it’s not well-written or if they don’t believe that ZA is more compatible than CA, fact is, cloud should already have an advantage because Z&A haven’t seen each other in 5 years, yet cloud doesn’t act on this advantage, and even up until the end of her life, even after Z&A are separated, Aerith is wavering, traces of Zack is the elephant in the room that keeps haunting CA’s ambiguously romantic situation.

Also I personally don’t find ZA and CA to be similar in dynamics at all. In CA it’s Cloud who warms up to her antics, but Zack has always been able to respond well to her energy, he even effectively comforts her about her personal fears, something I struggle to believe Cloud ever did. I’m an Aerith stan, so I want her to be loved. If you look at ff7’s plot as a whole, she just ends up being Cloud’s “what-if” while he was out there kissing other women, and I don’t want that for her. Zack called her his girlfriend, bragged about her to literally everyone he knew (to the point of even Sephiroth being aware of their relationship) and she wrote him 89 letters in the course of 5 years. So why shouldn’t she end up with Zack if they find themselves in the same place again? Clear, indisputable mutual yearning, mutual desire, is what I want for Aerith’s love story, as someone who’s a fan of hers.
One thing is for sure - if they push CA after this they’re going to have to do Cloud’s character dirty, stomp all over Tifa’s feelings who will get hurt by Cloud, and leave Zack catching more strays after he caught loads in Rebirth by Aerith stomping on his heart (if they even meet in P3

shady

Pro Adventurer
Apparently what Aerith mouths to Tifa is subtitled in German
52F48074-604D-457A-97B9-CE81879D3AB7.jpeg

I don’t know exactly what it means or what the translation is for other languages though (or even if it matters)

Hix

Pro Adventurer
One thing is for sure - if they push CA after this they’re going to have to do Cloud’s character dirty, stomp all over Tifa’s feelings who will get hurt by Cloud, and leave Zack catching more strays after he caught loads in Rebirth by Aerith stomping on his heart (if they even meet in P3

Ālea iacta est, the Devs have nailed their colours to the narrative mast and it's Cloud/Tifa. It's far, far too late to roll it all back - indeed if they wanted to do so they would not have given a definitive kiss - by virtue of Aerith being dead and Tifa getting the Lifestream/Highwind (watch that not be optional btw) in part 3. The plot doesn't allow for CA from here on out, Rebirth was the time for it, and they decidedly let the ship sink.

Would also remind folks that if we're heading for Advent Children, then Zack/Aerith reuniting is not merely a theory but inevitable. There's no narrative benefit to not giving them the happy ending together they both deserve, and I'd argue there's plenty of ammo in Rebirth that shows they're aiming for it.
Apparently what Aerith mouths to Tifa is subtitled in German

I don’t know exactly what it means or what the translation is for other languages though (or even if it matters

Not sure the context of this, but she's mouthing "lucky!"

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
Yeah but tbh the last two chapters don't hold up the LTD to me too.

With Tifa and Cloud you have an absolutely amazing relationship building arc in Rebirth. We have their conflict in Kalm, the resolution where Cloud apologizes and they both linger at the door, the whole ass Gongaga sequence where Cloud goes like catatonic after attacking her and they have that meaningful conversation with him kneeling at her bedside and then almost kiss but get interrupted. Then in Nibelheim Cloud puts his arm around her and she comforts him in turn. Just like the entire build up is very organic and very clearly leading to an emotional climax for their relationship (and obviously if you do the GS that fits very naturally) and all the above is non optional and all throughout the game.

Now... we're in the final chapters, and we the viewers can see that Cloud is losing himself and falling under Jenovas influence more and more. He's really confused and scattered and has some wacked out dream moment with Aerith that is honestly just wild and kind of negative? And then he is devastated and refusing to acknowledge her death but like... That doesn't have romantic connotations to me at all? And it's clear every other member of the party thinks Cloud is off his rocker by this point (great build up to him realising Tifa doubts him and absolutely breaking down in the next game - LOVED that scene in the OG and they have so much build up in this one) so it's I dunno. Hard to connect the Cloud at the end of the game who is clearly largely dissociated from with romance and clear cut feelings.
You have a good point. Personally, I still stand by my point that Chapter 14 is a good conclusion or bookend to Cloud and Aerith relationship.

It’s a great ambigious send off as Cloud and Aerith shippers can argue that they might have caught feelings for each other if they were able to spend more time together whereas Zack and Aerith shippers can say that Aerith found out that she was never able to replace Zack in her heart.

shady

Pro Adventurer
Ālea iacta est, the Devs have nailed their colours to the narrative mast and it's Cloud/Tifa. It's far, far too late to roll it all back - indeed if they wanted to do so they would not have given a definitive kiss - by virtue of Aerith being dead and Tifa getting the Lifestream/Highwind (watch that not be optional btw) in part 3. The plot doesn't allow for CA from here on out, Rebirth was the time for it, and they decidedly let the ship sink.

Would also remind folks that if we're heading for Advent Children, then Zack/Aerith reuniting is not merely a theory but inevitable. There's no narrative benefit to not giving them the happy ending together they both deserve, and I'd argue there's plenty of ammo in Rebirth that shows they're aiming for it.

Not sure the context of this, but she's mouthing "lucky!"
This is where Cloud and Tifa nearly kiss in Gongaga and they are interrupted by Yuffie and Cait Sith, they run off hur Aerith is stood behind them smiling at Tifa, then she mouths something and Tifa nods before looking back at Cloud, smiling and walking off

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I’ve noticed Zack catches quite a bit of flak by some fans because of his elevated importance to FF7 since the compilation. However, I think it merits saying that… the only way all four Love Square characters get a happy ending is by going the CT/ZA route…

People think Crisis Core did a disservice by making Zack more important than he originally was but I actually think that it added a lot more depth to Cloud’s past as a byproduct of his importance. I liken Zack to Cloud’s Obi-Wan… and I hope going forward for not only Zerith moments but I actually really want to see more Cloud and Zack bromance, post reveal.

We got a bit of it in ACC but I really want to see Cloud explore just how much Zack meant to him, because he would not be alive without him. All of this talk about LTD but we definitely need more of the BROTP. Amirite?

shady

Pro Adventurer
I’ve noticed Zack catches quite a bit of flak by some fans because of his elevated importance to FF7 since the compilation. However, I think it merits saying that… the only way all four Love Square characters get a happy ending is by going the CT/ZA route…

People think Crisis Core did a disservice by making Zack more important than he originally was but I actually think that it added a lot more depth to Cloud’s past as a byproduct of his importance. I liken Zack to Cloud’s Obi-Wan… and I hope going forward for not only Zerith moments but I actually really want to see more Cloud and Zack bromance, post reveal.

We got a bit of it in ACC but I really want to see Cloud explore just how much Zack meant to him, because he would not be alive without him. All of this talk about LTD but we definitely need more of the BROTP. Amirite?
To be honest the only people I see hating on Zack are hardcore Cloud and Aerith shippers because he threatens the ship. Outside of the LTD though there’s literally nothing to hate about Zack, guys a great character and clearly would do anything for those he loves, including Cloud and Aerith. If you want to talk about compatible then Zack and Aerith are more compatible than Cloud and Aerith. Zack matches her energy, Cloud does not.

Also he is one of the most important characters in all of FF7, Nibelheim is just as much his story as it is Cloud’s, Tifa’s and Sephiroth’s, a majority of the games mystery with Cloud is wrapped up in Zack who he feels guilt over and mourns, oh and he is Aerith’s first love. Love him or hate him he is important to the world and its characters.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer

I'll second that the only people who don't like Zack are hardcore Cloud and Aerith shippers. Everyone else I know loved Zack, loved seeing Sephiroth pre-fall and loved seeing Shinra grunt Zack. The only thing that people hate in CC is hearing Loveless for the millionth time 😅

I felt a lot more connected to Cloud as a character and Sephiroth as a villain after Crisis Core and that ending man... It made me understand Clouds mental breakdown and subsequent delusion so much more. The scattered way he repeats Zacks last words and screams. Omg.. shivers. Absolutely brilliant.

Incidentally Crisis Core is the reason I stopped hating Aerith as a character. So it gave her more depth too.

Idk why people seem to want to insist CC was a disservice to the franchise. It's excellent.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
You have a good point. Personally, I still stand by my point that Chapter 14 is a good conclusion or bookend to Cloud and Aerith relationship.

It’s a great ambigious send off as Cloud and Aerith shippers can argue that they might have caught feelings for each other if they were able to spend more time together whereas Zack and Aerith shippers can say that Aerith found out that she was never able to replace Zack in her heart.
Yeah they definitely toe the line in the final couple of chapters. It can be Clerith or Zerith depending on which way you squint.

Personally I still say you can only read it as Clerith if you ignore the larger narrative and the way it's building Tifa and Clouds bond but y'know.. shipping goggles have a really good 'black out' section for anything involving Tifa. Always blocks out everything but her boobs - which they will insist are the only reason anyone likes her as a character lmao.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Yeah they definitely toe the line in the final couple of chapters. It can be Clerith or Zerith depending on which way you squint.

Personally I still say you can only read it as Clerith if you ignore the larger narrative and the way it's building Tifa and Clouds bond but y'know.. shipping goggles have a really good 'black out' section for anything involving Tifa. Always blocks out everything but her boobs - which they will insist are the only reason anyone likes her as a character lmao.
Tifa is actually my favorite character in all of FF7. And it’s not cuz she’s hot (although that’s a plus) but her entire character arc resonated with me the most.

Followed by Zack as my second favorite, and then Cloud… in that order.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
Tifa is actually my favorite character in all of FF7. And it’s not cuz she’s hot (although that’s a plus) but her entire character arc resonated with me the most.

Followed by Zack as my second favorite, and then Cloud… in that order.
Yeah she is my favourite too. She's so resilient and caring. Very selfless. It was something I admired so much as a kid and admire even more as an adult. She's a really great character!

Man.. Cloud is such a complex character. I was kind of sad that we didn't get a bit more of Advent Children because it's implied he finds peace but we don't actually see him living in peace at all and that's what I want to see!

shady

Pro Adventurer
Yeah she is my favourite too. She's so resilient and caring. Very selfless. It was something I admired so much as a kid and admire even more as an adult. She's a really great character!

Man.. Cloud is such a complex character. I was kind of sad that we didn't get a bit more of Advent Children because it's implied he finds peace but we don't actually see him living in peace at all and that's what I want to see!
I've seen some speculation after Part 3 we might get some kind of post ACC epilogue or something. Which I wouldn't be against at all. Show the characters being happy again, everyone was so miserable in ACC man..

Tifa is great though as you say, so is Aerith to be fair, both for different reasons. Concerning Tifa though this woman stood by Cloud in some of his darkest moments and helped put the pieces back together, she deserves everything and more.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
I've seen some speculation after Part 3 we might get some kind of post ACC epilogue or something. Which I wouldn't be against at all. Show the characters being happy again, everyone was so miserable in ACC man..

Tifa is great though as you say, so is Aerith to be fair, both for different reasons. Concerning Tifa though this woman stood by Cloud in some of his darkest moments and helped put the pieces back together, she deserves everything and more.
This is my hope.. I would love to see a more concrete happy ending this time.

Tifa stands by everyone man. She's the best. She is just so generous with her love and care and I'm so here for it.

Kigan

Rookie Adventurer
This is an interesting argument few have the cojones to address, mostly because Tifa turns them on (or they self-insert as Tifa) which means she's a flawless princess that can do no wrong, all character flaws are something else's fault.
And I quote, from some external video:
Tifa accepted Cloud at his worst. She deserves him at his best
The biggest plot twist of the game is that Tifa did not accept Cloud at his worst, more like she didn't care.
If Tifa did accept Cloud at his worst (Nibelheim) none of this would've happened.
Tifa both accidentally helped saving the world (Cloud's thirst is what stops Sephiroth) and caused most of Cloud's problems (he would have never been injured and tortured if she gave him a little bit of attention).

Tifa in the lifestream is a textbook example of "You break it, you buy it".

shady

Pro Adventurer
This is an interesting argument few have the cojones to address, mostly because Tifa turns them on (or they self-insert as Tifa) which means she's a flawless princess that can do no wrong, all character flaws are something else's fault.

The biggest plot twist of the game is that Tifa did not accept Cloud at his worst, more like she didn't care.
If Tifa did accept Cloud at his worst (Nibelheim) none of this would've happened.
Tifa both accidentally helped saving the world (Cloud's thirst is what stops Sephiroth) and caused most of Cloud's problems (he would have never been injured and tortured if she gave him a little bit of attention).

Oh its not that people don’t have the cojones to address it, it’s because braindead takes aren’t worth addressing

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Long time no see to everyone in this thread... and hi to people I don't recognize. Did I really see Ryushikaze posting?... dang...

I didn't finish Remake and had no interest in Rebirth (don't have a PS5 anyway) but I have to say...

Wow. I did NOT expect Rebirth to be that Cloti... at all. I thought it'd be about the same as the original.

just wanted to stop by and say that. Hope everyone is doing well

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer

Hmm… not sure I agree there.

Let’s not forget the reason Cloud was outcast… was not because of Tifa.

Also, Tifa did accept him at worst though. She has a brief moment of doubting him at the Northern Cave, mostly due to Sephiroth’s gaslighting but it was only for a moment.

Are you forgetting the part where he becomes a drooling vegetable and Tifa decides to abandon the party to take care of him, stating that he was all she cares about?

Top Bottom