Mass Effect Series

Lex

Administrator
Yeah I caught that a little while ago. I don't really trust Twitter to be honest, especially knowing the Mass Effect account is run by a bot. However, someone must have programmed that answer in there :O

We'll find out at PAX I suppose. I wish I lived in the US purely so I could go.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
So I just learned that when my girlfriend acts like a horrible bitch to me after I saved her life, calls me a traitor and leaves after refusing to go anywhere with me, we didn't actually break up. I have to tell her I'm breaking up with her before moving on or else I'm cheating on her. Guess I better apologize to my ex from high school for cheating on her with my wife all this time.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So I just learned that when my girlfriend acts like a horrible bitch to me after I saved her life, calls me a traitor and leaves after refusing to go anywhere with me, we didn't actually break up. I have to tell her I'm breaking up with her before moving on or else I'm cheating on her. Guess I better apologize to my ex from high school for cheating on her with my wife all this time.

That doesn't seem right to me.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I'd much rather they flesh out the ending they have now rather than replacing the thing entirely.

It's annoying when people keep bringing up Broken Steel, because from a technical standpoint that point of plot in the game wasn't actually changed, rather the plot was continued and options here and there expanded. In comparison, a lot of people just want to get rid of the Crucible/Catalyst stuff entirely.

EDIT: Yahtzee touches on this point a bit. Funny how he ends up looking more reasonable than the raging fanbase out there.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I'd much rather they flesh out the ending they have now rather than replacing the thing entirely.

It's annoying when people keep bringing up Broken Steel, because from a technical standpoint that point of plot in the game wasn't actually changed, rather the plot was continued and options here and there expanded. In comparison, a lot of people just want to get rid of the Crucible/Catalyst stuff entirely.

EDIT: Yahtzee touches on this point a bit. Funny how he ends up looking more reasonable than the raging fanbase out there.

TBQH, I've stopped caring what they actually do about it. At this point, my soul has already been raped and the wounds are beginning to heal. However, knowing they're at least creating new scenes to give fans more closure has helped that along.

I do want the option to shoot that child in the face and scream "fuck no".

Regarding EDI, my favourite line is
when she's talking to legion and mentions her "day of reckoning". I howled.

Here, have a video of said moment.

In this outfit EDI has severe real cameltoe. No it is not a lighting issue or a photoshop. Try it in your game.

QOFoq.jpg

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Yahtzee is a goddamn joke, can't believe chumps take him seriously. He is INTENTIONALLY a joke.

I'm so sick of all of these pathetic internet personalities(not even talking about Yahtzee here tbfh) somehow thinking their opinions matter more than everyone elses and pissing and moaning about "artistic integrity". Somehow the so called artistic integrity remained intact despite taking out a significant character day 1 and charging ten bucks for him, moneyhatting an IGN review by having their terrible reporter in the game, and the entire dlc debacle with all of the dlc going with all of the different merchandise.

These fucking people don't even understand why people hated the goddamn ending.

Edi cameltoe is old.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Honestly, the best thing Bioware can do is just add more endings, that allow people to avoid the existing ones. That way, everyone is happy.

Actually have people's choices matter.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Also, against the argument that none of the previous choices mattered:

Ask yourself - would Shepard have been able to get to the Crucible, the Catalyst, Earth, to do what he did in the ending and
break the cycle that had been going on for millions of years
, if he hadn't gathered up all those forces?

As flawed as the execution was, there's a correlation between what happens in the ending and what Shepard was working towards. Admittedly it's not as clear-cut as "if you do Mission X, Character Y won't die at the end" as it was in Mass Effect 2, but the end-goal is still within the same vein.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Ending voids much of what you do before it.

The journey is irrelevant if the destination shits all over it. Oh, and it doesn't matter what choices you make, they almost all lead to pretty much the same conclusion, no matter which you choose.

Thankfully the journey is hella fun so I can just disregard the total clusterfuck pseudo intellectual endings.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
They're fundamentally different conclusions. Bioware just didn't show that properly.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Did it matter in the end if you cured the genophage or not? If you killed Wrex or the Rachni Queeen?

Saved the Council? Picked Anderson or Udina to represent humanity?

Saved the Collector Base? Reprogrammed the Geth heretics? Kill off your whole ME2 squad or leave no one behind?

Failed to unite the Turians and Krogan or stop a Quarian/Geth war?

Bothered with romance or any of the sidequests? Played Paragon or Renegade?

Played all three games or did the absolute minimum in the last?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
They're fundamentally different conclusions. Bioware just didn't show that properly.

Oh yeah?

No matter what you do the mass relays are destroyed, no matter what you do the citadel is destroyed, and no matter what you do the reapers are defeated. No matter what you do the Normandy gets wrecked and stranded on some alien planet. Shepard pretty much ALWAYS dies, even in the destroy ending with the gasp at the end, there's no way shepard is going to remain alive much longer.

There are only slight variations depending on your EMS.
like the crucible killing everyone and not just the reapers

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
And that's exactly different from the previous Mass Effects... how?

All the other games had the same endings, bar the significance of squadmates living/dying, or in the first game the council living/dying.
The end-goal in the previous games are similarly clear-cut even with the decisions made - Destroy Sovereign, defeat Saren. Stop the Collectors, destroy the gross human-reaper baby. Now, it's stop the Reapers, break the cycle.

There's a lot of speculating and extrapolating going on about the ramifications of the
mass relays being destroyed, the citadel being blown up, etc
. That's what I want Bioware to fix - to clarify what they have now rather than to have players avoid all of those things entirely.

There are only slight variations depending on your EMS.
like the crucible killing everyone and not just the reapers

That... seems to be a pretty significant difference to me.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
And that's exactly different from the previous Mass Effects... how?

The fact that you even need to ask this question, man I dont even.

That... seems to be a pretty significant difference to me.

Except the only way to get that ending is to intentionally sabotage your game so that you get it, and in light of that it's not even an option for the large majority of players.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
My point is that the only thing Bioware dropped the ball on with the ending was properly establishing that illusion of free choice, and emphasising the differences between the endings. Because the differences are there - they're just not apparent to most people/people don't seem to recognise them/people focus on the things that don't change.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The differences are negligible and don't reflect the events that come before, especially when we were literally PROMISED we would have a huge impact on the story and ending of ME3. They flat out told us things like "The decision to save the Rachni Queen will have huge ramifications in ME3 and its ending" and it didn't.

In the face of ME2's breadth of options in story, and endgame, ME3 doesn't even compare.

They dropped the ball on writing, cohesion, proper reflection of character choice, and their own goddamned story lore. They don't even explain what happens. They deliberately didn't explain anything, and in the process they created something anti-antithetical to Mass Effect.

The endings are "different" as in they all have variations, but they all lead to the same conclusion in the end. Just like I laid out in my post.

No matter what you do the mass relays are destroyed, no matter what you do the citadel is destroyed, and no matter what you do the reapers are defeated. No matter what you do the Normandy gets wrecked and stranded on some alien planet. Shepard pretty much ALWAYS dies, even in the destroy ending with the gasp at the end, there's no way shepard is going to remain alive much longer.

Yeah, so very different.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Have you actually considered the differences between
simply destroying the Reapers, merging all organic life with synthetic life, or Shepard taking control of the Reapers... you know, the fundamental differences between all three of them?
I agree there is a disconnect between that of the decisions made throughout the game and the one made in the end, but it's not a complete thematic disconnect -
the Star Child admits that everything Shepard did throughout the game proves that the cycle is no longer necessary.

They did skimp out on the choices-from-previous-games-to-endings, though. However, fixing that would probably require a full-game rewrite. So yes, the direct corellations are missing.

Also, again, the previous games also lead to the same conclusions in the end. In terms of technicality in the Mass Effect RPG, the story structure is no different from that of the previous games.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Have you actually considered the differences between
simply destroying the Reapers, merging all organic life with synthetic life, or Shepard taking control of the Reapers... you know, the fundamental differences between all three of them?

What does that matter, they all lead to the same conclusion. You get exactly the same ending, and none of those things matter, you don't see the results of any of those decisions. You wind up in the same place no matter what.
A galactic dark age, with several people stranded, abandoned, and many outright killed.

Those so called "fundamental differences" are boiled down to different visual cues.
Also, again, the previous games also lead to the same conclusions in the end. In terms of technicality in the Mass Effect RPG, the story structure is no different from that of the previous games

No, Mass Effect 2 can end in a number of ways. You can completely fuck up, killing a number of innocent people and your comrades in the process. You can completely succeed, saving a number of people's lives, come out on top, and turn on the Illusive Man's ambition. You can succeed, sacrificing good people, ruining other people's lives, turn on TIM and destroy the base, or save it for him.

There's dozens of variations on how you can do it, and these things can actually impact events in ME3.

You may be on a fixed path, but we used to have SOME control, in more situations than others. ME3 doesn't have the same leeway. The problem with ME3 is it negates all of that, and it's made worse by the fact that this is THE end, and we were supposed to determine how it ended.
the Star Child admits that everything Shepard did throughout the game proves that the cycle is no longer necessary.

No, star child admits that its solution will no longer work, but insists that the cycle will continue, unless everyone submits to dna rape, it's all one ridiculous circle jerk of bullshit

YO DAWG I MADE SOME SYNTHETICS TO KILL YALL TO KEEP SYNTHETICS FROM KILLING YALL UNLESS ALL YALL BECOME SYNTHETICS BECAUSE THERES NO WAY SYNTHETICS CAN LIVE WITH ORGANICS

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
What does that matter, they all lead to the same conclusion. You get exactly the same ending, and none of those things matter, you don't see the results of any of those decisions. You wind up in the same place no matter what.
A galactic dark age, with several people stranded, abandoned, and many outright killed.

Those so called "fundamental differences" are boiled down to different visual cues.

"Different visual cues" seems to be the way people are downplaying the way the endings are different. The only thing that's lacking is what you mentioned: the fact that the actual results aren't seen. As of now, it's all speculation.

No, Mass Effect 2 can end in a number of ways. You can completely fuck up, killing a number of innocent people and your comrades in the process. You can completely succeed, saving a number of people's lives, come out on top, and turn on the Illusive Man's ambition. You can succeed, sacrificing good people, ruining other people's lives, turn on TIM and destroy the base, or save it for him.

There's dozens of variations on how you can do it, and these things can actually impact events in ME3.

True, but in the end that spectrum boils down to:
The number of people involved in the Suicide Mission that live
The Collector Base, save or destroy
Continuing work with the Illusive Man/Cutting ties

Which is admittedly more than what we got in Mass Effect, but what you see past the end-game is usually the same give or take those squadmates and Normandy crew.
And I have it on good faith that to actually screw up and kill everyone requires actively skipping out on a lot of the core content, much in the same way (albeit more subdued) as Mass Effect 3. I've never done it, but I've seen the numbers/hex conditions behind it.

No, star child admits that its solution will no longer work, but insists that the cycle will continue, unless everyone submits to dna rape, it's all one ridiculous circle jerk of bullshit

YO DAWG I MADE SOME SYNTHETICS TO KILL YALL TO KEEP SYNTHETICS FROM KILLING YALL UNLESS ALL YALL BECOME SYNTHETICS BECAUSE THERES NO WAY SYNTHETICS CAN LIVE WITH ORGANICS

At that point,
The star child is as much in the dark as Shepard is, and presented with the only three immediate solutions the Crucible offers. It comes off as flawed machine logic - the writers at Bioware knew what their character was doing was ridiculous. The fact that Shepard has proven it wrong is acknowledged.

But there was never going to be a Shepard leading the galaxy for all of time, because Shepard has always been a blatantly mortal human. Having a permanent solution through the literal unity of machine and man would be a fresh change to the Reaper bullshit that the star child is so focused on. All three options are immediate solutions; the difference lies in the potential for the civilisations to rebuild and whether or not that circlejerk stuff can be prevented in the future.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
"Different visual cues" seems to be the way people are downplaying the way the endings are different. The only thing that's lacking is what you mentioned: the fact that the actual results aren't seen. As of now, it's all speculation.

There's nothing to downplay, that's how it is. Like I said no matter what you choose you wind up in the same place, but with different circumstances that ultimately spit in the face of the choices you made before, because you have to accept the terms presented to you, don't really influence any of those choices you make.

True, but in the end that spectrum boils down to:
The number of people involved in the Suicide Mission that live
The Collector Base, save or destroy
Continuing work with the Illusive Man/Cutting ties

All of those factors make up an ending that is all your own.

Which is admittedly more than what we got in Mass Effect, but what you see past the end-game is usually the same give or take those squadmates and Normandy crew.

Because as Jubal/null said earlier, our choices no longer matter in ME3.

And I have it on good faith that to actually screw up and kill everyone requires actively skipping out on a lot of the core content, much in the same way (albeit more subdued) as Mass Effect 3. I've never done it, but I've seen the numbers/hex conditions behind it.

Actually, no you don't have to skip on content, it all depends on the choices you make and what you do in loyalty missions. Like failing Samara's mission, or making Mordin a fireteam leader.

I've done it before. It mostly relies on making BAD choices.

The star child is as much in the dark as Shepard is, and presented with the only three immediate solutions the Crucible offers. It comes off as flawed machine logic - the writers at Bioware knew what their character was doing was ridiculous. The fact that Shepard has proven it wrong is acknowledged.

No, star child never admits that it was wrong. It is firm in that its decisions were right, it only comes to the conclusion that its current solution will no longer work, for some stupid reason. It could have just killed Shepard/done nothing and its solution would have repeated history all over again. Shepard just being there is somehow used as reasoning that its solution is a failure, despite the reapers still largely succeeding. It's nonsense.

Despite all of that this creature still insists that synthetics and humans cannot coexist, and eventually synthetics will eventually wipe them out. It never admits that it was wrong. DESPITE the geth being rallied against them alongside my army. Just that somehow Shepard's appearance changes things, for no reason at all.

It makes no sense.

But there was never going to be a Shepard leading the galaxy for all of time, because Shepard has always been a blatantly mortal human. Having a permanent solution through the literal unity of machine and man would be a fresh change to the Reaper bullshit that the star child is so focused on. All three options are immediate solutions; the difference lies in the potential for the civilisations to rebuild and whether or not that circlejerk stuff can be prevented in the future.

Even with the nonsense and completely ridiculous synthesis ending that completely foregoes all logic, there's still no real solution. Making organics partly synthetic won't stop these new cyborg people from making their own synthetics which could rebel against them and kill them.

Then there's the entire issue of THE SYNTHETICS NEVER REBELLED AGAINST ORGANICS IN THIS CYCLE TO BEGIN WITH. The organics rebelled against the synthetics! The geth don't even make a campaign against any other organics, they just wanted to be left alone. Until Saren manipulated them, they didn't even come into conflict with the other species.

None of star child's logic makes sense, but this age old AI with all of this power, history, and knowledge ultimately makes a completely defunct argument that makes no kind of sense.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
No, star child never admits that it was wrong. It is firm in that its decisions were right, it only comes to the conclusion that its current solution will no longer work, for some stupid reason. It could have just killed Shepard/done nothing and its solution would have repeated history all over again. Shepard just being there is somehow used as reasoning that its solution is a failure, despite the reapers still largely succeeding. It's nonsense.

Despite all of that this creature still insists that synthetics and humans cannot coexist, and eventually synthetics will eventually wipe them out. It never admits that it was wrong. DESPITE the geth being rallied against them alongside my army. Just that somehow Shepard's appearance changes things, for no reason at all.

It makes no sense.

Shepard's appearance entailed a lot of things, to which there are reasons:
The fact that no other organic had ever stepped foot where he had now means that the conditions within the cycle were different
The fact that Shepard had achieved unity with all the different races gives the star child reason to consider other options rather than continue wiping out all the advanced organics
The same fact that the races have all united as a single cohesive unit implies that the Reapers would have sustained losses too heavy to keep up the same thing they'd been doing in the previous cycles, where previously they had caught the civilisations of the galaxy off-guard and kept their enemies scattered
On the other hand, though, even though Shepard can achieve unity between all the races of the galaxy, would have that unity even been possible if the Reapers hadn't been this common enemy to unite against?

Even with the nonsense and completely ridiculous synthesis ending that completely foregoes all logic, there's still no real solution. Making organics partly synthetic won't stop these new cyborg people from making their own synthetics which could rebel against them and kill them.

Then there's the entire issue of THE SYNTHETICS NEVER REBELLED AGAINST ORGANICS IN THIS CYCLE TO BEGIN WITH. The organics rebelled against the synthetics! The geth don't even make a campaign against any other organics, they just wanted to be left alone. Until Saren manipulated them, they didn't even come into conflict with the other species.

None of star child's logic makes sense, but this age old AI with all of this power, history, and knowledge ultimately makes a completely defunct argument that makes no kind of sense.

A lot of it is working off the assumption that the AI was infallible to begin with, which as all of us agree is probably not the case. In sci-fi it's generally accepted that artificial intelligences in leadership positions lack a human element which promotes good governing.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Shepard's appearance entailed a lot of things, to which there are reasons:
The fact that no other organic had ever stepped foot where he had now means that the conditions within the cycle were different
The fact that Shepard had achieved unity with all the different races gives the star child reason to consider other options rather than continue wiping out all the advanced organics
On the other hand, though, even though Shepard can achieve unity between all the races of the galaxy, would have that unity even been possible if the Reapers hadn't been this common enemy to unite against?

None of that has any bearing on what I said at all. The protheans united all races under their banner too, and they were decimated. Why didn't Star Child consider other options back then, instead of stomping the races world by world?
Their unity changes NOTHING. The same with Shepard being there. Shepard wouldn't have been there at all if the Catalyst hadn't elevated him/her to its platform. The fact is, nothing changed, it only changed because the plot demanded it for little reason at all.

Something had to change, so why not just say it did for the sake of the plot without even actually elaborating on why.

Enemies come, people join forces, issues arise in the future, they break off, something similar happens again, and it can all repeat. It's not for anyone to say what will happen. This is the big issue with this entire endgame.

A lot of it is working off the assumption that the AI was infallible to begin with, which as all of us agree is probably not the case. In sci-fi it's generally accepted that artificial intelligences in leadership positions lack a human element which promotes good governing.

Except these aren't simple AIs. They're thousands, possibly millions of years old, they've harvested and seeped into the minds of organics. There's no way they can't understand them at this point. The machine even goes so far as to assume the form of an organic.

Even going off of that assumption, that just makes it all the more glaring that
Shepard doesn't argue with this thing, she just accepts things as they are and takes the thing's word at face value and accepts these terrible choices. She doesn't try to make it see the error of its beliefs

Top Bottom