Mass Effect Series

Lex

Administrator
I am still not at all clear on how the game chooses
who comes off the ship at the end. I completed it again last night, and I'm now totally convinced "destroy" is the "correct" shitty ending, because you get a glimpse of Anderson doing it beforehand. I didn't notice that the first time round.

Also, my love interest got off the ship. Normal. Why the fuck did Javik? That gets rid of the whole "character you used the most" theory because I didn't use him at all. No sense was made again.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
I am still not at all clear on how the game chooses
who comes off the ship at the end. I completed it again last night, and I'm now totally convinced "destroy" is the "correct" shitty ending, because you get a glimpse of Anderson doing it beforehand. I didn't notice that the first time round.

Also, my love interest got off the ship. Normal. Why the fuck did Javik? That gets rid of the whole "character you used the most" theory because I didn't use him at all. No sense was made again.

I have no idea but it cracks me up with the upbeat music and teammates looking around in awe, and Javik randomly comes out scowling like he's just as pissed about the ending as we are.

I thought he would be some serene Dr. Zoidberg-looking exposition bot, but he turned out to be really interesting. Definitely my favorite new character, as Mordin was in ME2.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Jubal Early said:
I have no idea but it cracks me up with the upbeat music and teammates looking around in awe, and Javik randomly comes out scowling like he's just as pissed about the ending as we are.

After seeing his species destroyed by the Reapers and spending 50,000 years in stasis and finding out the horrible ending of the game he's understandably as pissed as we are.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Jubal Early said:
Javik insults Alistair

I would pay serious money to see this.

Jubal Early said:
Ashley/Kaiden dies from the Grey Warden joining ceremony.

Hey if Alistair and Anders made it I think Kaidan's chances of making it through are pretty high

Splintered

unsavory tart
Blizzard with a pretty funny April Fool's burn (at least the multiple endings part)

Here's what I really wanted to see today:
An announcement from Bioware unveiling a DLC which "clarifies" that the Normandy crashed on the Dragon Age planet.

And a clip with Garrus, Wrex, Liara and Zaeed pwning the shit out of the Deep Roads while Javik insults Alistair and Ashley/Kaiden dies from the Grey Warden joining ceremony.
I'd like a clip of Wrex eating Anders or something.

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
Beat the game. I picked
synthesis
. Watched that dude's 39-minute video from the last page. I understand it.

All the same, I have no gripes with how the game ended.

Last edited:

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Beat the game. I picked
synthesis
. Watched that dude's 39-minute video from the last page. I understand it.

All that same, I have no gripes with how the game ended.

Lucky you. :scared:

The game itself is brilliant, but for me the last 15 minutes of the game... well it's all been said already.

Loved this bit:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
So I just finished my 3rd character playthrough of ME2 (this time around the Human-Reaper fight was laughably short for me) and this line from Harbinger catches my attention:

That which you know as Reapers are your salvation through destruction.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Yeah he must have been harvested from parrots. Dude said pretty much the same thing the entire game.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Meh. I they're not willing to admit they fucked up then this is broken already.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
Meh. I they're not willing to admit they fucked up then this is broken already.

This basically. :(

I've been reading a few of the comments on the Bioware forum:

Does this mean Starchild is staying?

It means everything is staying.

In other words "We like our poop so much we aren't going to flush it down the toilet. We're just going to put a Glade room freshner near it and it will ALL BE BETTER"
From the Bioware blog: "Are there going to be more/different endings or ending DLCs in the future?

No. BioWare strongly believes in the team’s artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned."

I'm done Bioware. You've gone from having me in full on "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" on ME release date to a completely lost customer. If you can't see what a big mistake that "artistic vision" was, then I don't feel safe buying anything else of yours.
I'm not one to say "omg I'm going to boycott lol!" but Bioware have seriously tested my patience, and I think my patience has run out.

I've loved every minute of the Mass Effect franchise, right up until the ending and its ashame that Bioware have chosen to end their greatest creation this way. I'm just going to reflect on all the good times I've had and make up my own ending in my head.

Looks like anger is gone, but despair is here to stay. :sigh:

Lex

Administrator
I feel like stealing a line from Dumbledore to describe my feelings here. Replacing "Fudge" with "EA/Bioware":-

EA/Bioware's reaction is unfortunate, though not unexpected.

I wanted them to fix what was broken, but I suppose this will have to do.

EDIT:
Greer said:
Oh, Bioware. You just can't help yourselves, can you? Still being needlessly passive aggressive ("our most passionate fans"; "we stand behind our artistic vision"), still insinuating that those of us unhappy with your ending are just too stupid to understand it ("to provide further clarity and closure"), and still completely missing the point while blaming us for your failure to deliver.

I've said this endlessly since the game dropped, and I'll continue to say it:

No amount of clarity alone will fix this.

None.

No amount of clarity alone will fix the fact that your ending, as it stands, is thematically and tonally divorced from the rest of the series.
No amount of clarity alone will fix that nothing Shepard does in the preceding three games matters at all.
No amount of clarity alone willl fix that Shepard just gladly goes along with ideas that s/he has demonstratively proven false.

Further, you do not get to claim "artistic integrity" and insinuate that it exempts your work from criticism. That's not how this works. If you had made this game solely for yourselves, sure. Stick by your guns. But you didn't. You made it for mass consumption and with the claim that it was made in "collaboration with the fans". That changes the rules. Extensively. (More on that in this lovely article: doycetesterman.com/index.php/2012/03/mass-effect-tolkein-and-your-bullshit-artistic-process/)

So, with all due respect, Bioware? Shove it.

Last edited:

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
I feel like stealing a line from Dumbledore to describe my feelings here. Replacing "Fudge" with "EA/Bioware":-

EA/Bioware's reaction is unfortunate, though not unexpected.

I wanted them to fix what was broken, but I suppose this will have to do.

EDIT:

I wish I could thank that post multiple times.

So long Bioware, but thanks for all the fish.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Yes, let's boycott them because the ending to one game was something that was unsatisfactory (to some).

Brilliant.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
There is seriously too much butthurt over this. The last ten minutes of a game does not compromise the 27+hours that came before which was regarded as amazing.

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
And here I thought Bioware fans were a bit more intelligent than the rest of the bunch.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
There is seriously too much butthurt over this. The last ten minutes of a game does not compromise the 27+hours that came before which was regarded as amazing.

That isn't really for anyone to say but the person in question.

If someone really didn't like the end of something, it can easily sour an entire series for someone. MGS4 comes to mind. I don't think ME3's ending was quite as bad as the entire last half of mgs4 however. I do wish there was more outrage about the absolute debacle that game turned out to be.

That said, there's no point in worrying about it anymore, the time to move on passed ages ago.

And here I thought Bioware fans were a bit more intelligent than the rest of the bunch.

You clearly don't know shit about Bioware fans. These people completely wrote off Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2 as awful games. The Bioware forums are full of dumb ass threads about stupid shit like Tali's sweat.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
It's true that an ending CAN sour something for somebody. At the same time there is far too much flaming at Bioware for letting fans down. The work, effort and detail they went into with the entire game was remarkable and very VERY few other games can reach that high.

They wrote the game, came up with the story, came up with the characters and ultimately have full say in how everything is going to go down. Just because you (speaking to the entire hate populace) have been let down by the very last bit of the third installment, does not mean THEY have done something wrong.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
The last ten minutes of a game does not compromise the 27+hours that came before which was regarded as amazing.

It did for me. :(

I was very invested in this game & it’s characters, the ending was a crushing disappointment. But I agree everything up to the last ten minutes was amazing. Now Bioware brings out DLC to ‘clarify’ the ending, as if to say to fans who were disappointed:

“The ending was the best thing ever, you are to stupid to understand, let us explain why you are stupid…”

Greer said:
Oh, Bioware. You just can't help yourselves, can you? Still being needlessly passive aggressive ("our most passionate fans"; "we stand behind our artistic vision"), still insinuating that those of us unhappy with your ending are just too stupid to understand it ("to provide further clarity and closure"), and still completely missing the point while blaming us for your failure to deliver.

I've said this endlessly since the game dropped, and I'll continue to say it:

No amount of clarity alone will fix this.

None.

No amount of clarity alone will fix the fact that your ending, as it stands, is thematically and tonally divorced from the rest of the series.
No amount of clarity alone will fix that nothing Shepard does in the preceding three games matters at all.
No amount of clarity alone willl fix that Shepard just gladly goes along with ideas that s/he has demonstratively proven false.

Further, you do not get to claim "artistic integrity" and insinuate that it exempts your work from criticism. That's not how this works. If you had made this game solely for yourselves, sure. Stick by your guns. But you didn't. You made it for mass consumption and with the claim that it was made in "collaboration with the fans". That changes the rules. Extensively. (More on that in this lovely article: doycetesterman.com/index.php/2012/03/mass-effect-tolkein-and-your-bullshit-artistic-process/)

So, with all due respect, Bioware? Shove it.

^ This.

Teal'c said:
That said, there's no point in worrying about it anymore, the time to move on passed ages ago.

And this ^.

:sadpanda:

Bioware makes me a sadpanda, I don't like being sadpanda.

Games aren't cheap, the time investment isn't short...
I'll spend my money elsewhere. -_-

Top Bottom