Mass Effect Series

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
Tbh, there are plenty of stories (either in novels, games or films) that have ended in a way very similar.
Main characters have died for the sake of everyone else; be it for the sake of their small collection of friends, or humanity/entire race as a whole. This is all regardless of how much (or lack thereof) progress/impact that the main character has made on the story as a whole.
I guess this is where I pull from in reasoning that the ending, for me, is not terrible at all.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
It's true that an ending CAN sour something for somebody. At the same time there is far too much flaming at Bioware for letting fans down. The work, effort and detail they went into with the entire game was remarkable and very VERY few other games can reach that high.

Eh, I haven't seen the usual death threats, and the rest is entirely opinion based.

They wrote the game, came up with the story, came up with the characters and ultimately have full say in how everything is going to go down.

That isn't really in question. People are just butthurt about what they got. Eventually most of them will move on, and buy/rent the next Bioware product and either condemn it or love it. Hell some of them will get it JUST to have the right to complain.

Just because you (speaking to the entire hate populace) have been let down by the very last bit of the third installment, does not mean THEY have done something wrong.

.....If someone lets you down, then as far as that person is concerned then they DID do something wrong. The entire concept of a person being in the wrong is in the eye of the beholder.

What someone considers wrong doing can be right in another's eyes. The only deciding factor is popular consensus. For example, I HATED all of the endings for the most part, but Wakeen liked them. They did right by him, wrong by me.

I guess this is where I pull from in reasoning that the ending, for me, is not terrible at all.

In the context of the game and it's own literature thematically it's pretty bad. The only difference is whether you can look past that and enjoy it for what it was.

I think we're lucky they turned out as well as they did tbh. 3 months is a pretty shitty amount of time to design the end game to a huge game franchise.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Also, I get why Bioware is so proud. The fact that people hated the ending so much that they've had such an outcry is an achievement in itself.

It just means that they succeeded in making people care a great deal about their series and its characters. So yeah, I'd probably hold my head a little higher because of that too.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Heeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll no.

Done it too much in this thread already, just go read the posts. Hell that video a few pages back covered it pretty well imo.

Last edited:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
everything up to the last ten minutes was amazing

Games aren't cheap, the time investment isn't short...
I'll spend my money elsewhere. -_-
These two things being in the same post is one of the most nonsensical things I've ever read.

And I've read all of Twilight.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
These two things being in the same post is one of the most nonsensical things I've ever read.

And I've read all of Twilight.

My problem isn't with 99% of the game but the ending. Everything upto the last 10 minutes is good. But the ending killed it all for me. The bitterness I feel for the ending surpasses the enjoyment I had while playing it, to the point that I wish I never got it in the first place.

I don’t want to spend so much time (or money) on a game series again only to be so disappointment by it.

Hence a feeling of ‘Meh’ to future Bioware games.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
There's nothing ludicrous about his logic at all. I mean, that implies that it's hard to understand, and I get why he would feel that way.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I agree. It was a world class experience then an absolute shitfuck. It was like being mind raped by 10 angry bears after the most beautiful walk in the woods.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
There is seriously too much butthurt over this. The last ten minutes of a game does not compromise the 27+hours that came before which was regarded as amazing.

When I first finished the game I was honestly convinced I would never do another playthrough of ME again. I've since mellowed a bit, but I still never intend to complete another game because I detest the ending that much.

Just because you (speaking to the entire hate populace) have been let down by the very last bit of the third installment, does not mean THEY have done something wrong.

Well. Okay, yes, it's their product. They have a right to do whatever the fuck they want with it. But if the story had been written for a Creative Writing class that ending would have resulted in some serious mark reductions. It literally does not make sense within the confines of the universe that has already been established. I don't think you can call writing wrong, per say, but you can certainly call it bad. It feels wrong because fans have been used to Bioware's writing being of a high quality, aka, good, aka NOT bad. :monster:

Tbh, there are plenty of stories (either in novels, games or films) that have ended in a way very similar.
Main characters have died for the sake of everyone else; be it for the sake of their small collection of friends, or humanity/entire race as a whole. This is all regardless of how much (or lack thereof) progress/impact that the main character has made on the story as a whole.

The issue causing people's dissatisfaction with the ending has little to do with
Shepard dying
. I mean yes, a lot of people would like an ending where that doesn't happen but that's not what makes the ending so terrible for many people.

Also, Adri, go watch that 40 minute video a couple pages back for the best description of the thematic issues.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Holy shit, it's free?
Holy shit, it's free!

ed: lol the bioware blog entry says "Summer is coming" how subtle, mister... darklarke

I've since mellowed a bit

:monster:

Like, seriously, after a hiatus from ME3 for a couple weeks I finished my third character on ME2 recently, and I've started up my second character (my only Manshep) on ME3. The game still feels freakin' amazing.
The more I play through the awesomeness, the more I feel the journey is what matters.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
There's also this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_A7SeawU4&feature=g-all-u&context=G292463cFAAAAAAAAOAA
that Lex provided a few pages back that also nails why the endings are so awful and nonsensical.

I don't hate the endings because they don't have anything remotely to a happy ending or something though I wish that decision was left up to me. I hate them because the whole series was built around choices and how they mattered and the endings took that away and I don't have any sort of dialogue so I have to sit and watch that stupid AI Catalyst throw at me one insane troll logic after another, most especially it's retarded 'solution' and how synthetics will always wipe out organics which becomes really jarring and moronic if you broke peace with the geth and quarians like I did and then my shep just basically agrees with anything it says. Then I have to choose the fate of the galaxy from 3 nonsensical, plothole driven options that don't in any way reflect the decisions I made for 3 games. But I still love the games I will still play them, the endings may have been awful but the road to them was fantastic and that's what I'm going to remember and I'm gonna start another playthrough of ME3 when I finish ME2 again but I'm not going to finish it, when shep says goodbye to his squad I'm stopping because that's the ending for me.

Last edited:

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
As I posted before (since not too many people actually read what I said :monster: ) I watched it. I can understand that point of view.

BUT

For people to just shit on the series because of ten minutes versus (potentially) 100+ hours of a fabulous experience is absolutely backwards. And yes, I also understand that it was the ultimate ending to the series, but come on. Don't pour so much hate into the ending, instead direct that energy towards giving Bioware the credit it deserves for all of the great content.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I agree. It was a world class experience then an absolute shitfuck. It was like being mind raped by 10 angry bears after the most beautiful walk in the woods.
images

wake me up when people aren't comparing the end of a video game to rape

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I haven't come across a single analogy on the Internet that compares Mass Effect 3's ending in a manner that isn't hyperbolic and emotionally skewed

But I guess that is internet for you

Some guy on The Escapist forums once compared my use of Origin to Jews registering to the Nazi government lolo

Lex

Administrator
Yes, I'm serious. I genuinely hated it that much, for reasons that have already been discussed everywhere in this thread. The ending is what it is. I find that unfortunate.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Sweet. At least everyone has something to look forward to. Fans who liked the ending get more of what they already enjoyed. For those of us who didn't... well, there's nowhere to go but up (hopefully) and I would definitely prefer clarity and closure over having nothing addressed at all. A really good job of expanding on the immediate aftermath would make me very happy. A close second would be my Dragon Age crossover wet dream to flesh out the ramifications of my final choice, however much I dislike the choice and the part where I make it.

@ analogies: my favorite was comparing it to eating a triple layered chocolate cake and getting a spoonful of dog shit at the very bottom. Hey, at least it doesn't involve Casey Hudson baking Jews.

@ comparing video endings to rape: no, this is getting raped in a video game ending

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
lol, literally! I remember that level. Shit was just... lulz.

Also, they're doing this... for free. Free DLC. If that doeesn't say something about how dedicated the development team are, I don't know what does.

edit:

daaawwwww

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
@ comparing video endings to rape: no, this is getting raped in a video game ending
sincerely.

Yes, I'm serious. I genuinely hated it that much, for reasons that have already been discussed everywhere in this thread. The ending is what it is. I find that unfortunate.
i don't have a reaction gif for people who sincerely compare being raped to the ending of a video game so here's a gif of the man from another place dancing

1205061_o.gif

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Sansa Stark said:
i don't have a reaction gif for people who sincerely compare being raped to the ending of a video game so here's a gif of the man from another place dancing

Oh come on. Bear rape will never happen. It was a failed attempt at humour! For the first few days I felt that my soul had been destroyed, therefore a horribly exaggerated metaphor seemed appropriate. I'm not comparing anything to "real rape".

lol, literally! I remember that level. Shit was just... lulz.

Also, they're doing this... for free. Free DLC. If that doeesn't say something about how dedicated the development team are, I don't know what does.

edit:

daaawwwww

That may be the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Top Bottom