Metal Gear Solid 5 (+ General Series Thread)

Jack Gilmour

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
AH88, ahall89, ahall88
I can actually play MG 1 and 2 because they're packaged in directly this time. Those are the only 2 metal gear games I haven't played that are vital to the plot, if not horribly retconned.

They're pretty much just about Solid Snake trolling Big Boss, right?

I don't even think they're in the same universe anymore, are they?
I'm no expect on those two games, but it seems like a lot has changed since then.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Metal Gear 1 and 2 are still canon.

However, a lot has been retconned as well. Even Kojima acknowledged that there's a lot of story details that don't make sense anymore and upon being asked to remake them he said he'd rather not because it would mean he'd have to rewrite them. :comedian:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU I'M AT WORK

who's in it is akihiro honda in it

or donna burke

Oh hey, looks you're in luck:

Donna Burke, singer of the Metal Gear Solid V: THE PHANTOM PAIN theme song, “Sins of the Father!”, will be a guest on the next episode of Kojima Productions (小島プロダクション) Alert Podcast and we want your questions! Submit your questions by July 8th here: http://bit.ly/15gPirU

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
PLEASE SING IT LIVE FOR VGAS OR SOMETHING

/notevenaquestion

Farron

If the sky comes falling down
AKA
Hallelujah
Is okay to want to this game just for the riding the horse parts ? :P

I grew up with the original game and loved it, but sadly I've missed out on Metal Gear 2-4.

But I want to get this game because of the horse. Same reason I got Dynasty Warriors 3. The horse riding.

This sounds so strange haha. :monster:
:P

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
metal gear rising mural outside a train station

em7SEvu.jpg

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
WHY

ALWAYS WHEN I'M AT WORK.
ALWAYS.

Ghost X

If I am honest, the UI irks me, but I trust Kojima, so am not too worried. The only way to improve MGS4's UI is to make it more fluid, along with the gameplay, and this is apparently what he's trying to do here.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Honestly just seems like Alpha version work to me :monster: "Silent Pistol" lol

Things like interface are usually smoothed out much later in the development process, in any case.
Also I like how we kind of skipped over the whole "erotic cosplay Quiet" stuff in this thread XD

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Also, jp dub of Red Band trailer

Ghost X

I'mma pretend everything Snake says is voiced by David Hayter =p. That "kept you waiting, huh?" wasn't said remotely well.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Really? I felt the "Kept you waiting, huh" line was actually the best part of the english dub. imo Kiefer nailed it. It sounds natural enough - or at least it should be, since this is all being mo-capped to the English voice actors, as opposed to the Japanese ones. Hayter tends to draw the "huh" out a lot and his voice acting has a lot more range to it. Sutherland's performance reins that range of inflection in a bit, which honestly I think was the intended purpose, for better or worse.

I'm still pining for David Hayter, but I think the more we see Sutherland's voice being connected with the face (or more specifically, the lip sync), it might become less of a problem. I've seen and heard plenty of shitty dubs for things over the years, and for me this ain't one of them.

Also noticed that Robin Atkin Downes reined in his performance a bit, dropped the voice a couple tones. Probably partly why the E3 Red Band got a bit confusing, too :monster:

Last edited:

Telcontar

Donator
"Kept you waiting, huh" was the worst part of it. Didn't have the same snark/badassery Hayter usually delivers when he does that line.

Telcontar

Donator
I think I dislike Skull Face's voice even more then Snake's.

I thought he was Zadornov the whole time. The Japanese voice for him sounded just right. But he sounds MUCH younger in English and unlike Zadornov.

The big question now is, just who the hell IS Skull Face, if he's not Zadornov?

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
That image of SKULLFACE (I can't help but write it in allcaps :3) seems to me like a bad case of recycled assets :awesome:

"Kept you waiting, huh" was the worst part of it. Didn't have the same snark/badassery Hayter usually delivers when he does that line.

I think it was clear from the get-go that Kojima was looking for a subdued performance. I think that's exactly what we got. I love Hayter to bits but I think overall the tone Kojima is setting fits with what Sutherland is giving us. At the very least, it seems even returning voice actors are getting on that same level. :monster:

Besides, I think it was time we distanced Big Boss from Snake, even if we don't have Richard Doyle to do the honours.

Top Bottom