Naruto Anime/Manga (Manga Spoilers Not Tagged) [WSJ]

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Okay, I didn't see that coming... Orochimaru, exactly what is it going to take to kill you? I'm betting it'll take Naruto.

Finally, we get more info on Juugo. It's underwhelming that Kabuto made this big deal about being able to do the Seenin Transformation and then Juugo says *he* used to be able to do it and the people he grew up with were familiar enough with it to give it a name. Kinda wonder why he can't do it anymore as well as where that was. Hopefully we'll learn his back-story this time around.

As for where they're going... all the information Sasuke wants to know is only known by people who are dead. Given this is Orochimaru we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if he found/came up with a "reverse" version of Edo Tensai. I jumped to this conclusion because of all the myths/legends there are about people going to the Underworld/Afterlife to as dead people "What really happened?" And we know the Naruto would has at least two underworlds, the Pure World and inside the Shinigmi's stomach.

Time-travel could be another option, but it would be a lot more boring because we've already seen so many flashbacks.

And it is so great to see Sasuke's character development. He's finally trying to see things from other people's viewpoints. At least his emotions don't have complete control of him anymore.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I find it very disturbing that reviving Orochimaru was as simple as pulling some flesh off of Kabuto, sticking it on Anko's neck, and then...just puttin' your back into it as you pull his slimy, old ass out of her.

What the fuck. So basically, Sasuke did a "reverse" of the Evil Containment Seal on Anko's Curse Seal and he just came back to life?

So Kabuto's....glob of flesh, served as the raw materials for constructing an entirely new body for Orochimaru's spirit/consciousness to inhabit and just tap dance back into reality again. I guess this also explains how the fuck Orochimaru fucking hopped out of Sasuke's neck during his fight with Itachi, due to him running out of chakra. I always was confused as fuck as to how that happened. Apparently...

Sage Mode chakra + Orochimaru's consciousness (compatible flesh/DNA of Orochimaru) = New Orochimaru

I'd totally be Suigetsu. I would not be comfortable with Orochimaru coming back, especially when his first words were about how he wanted Sasuke's young body. I mean, all he needed was a priest outfit and it'd have been perfect.

As for Sasuke's desire to know the truth before he makes any judgments or decisions on his revenge, I really have to say his maturity about it all impressed me. Him finally no longer wishing to be a child and find out the truth about what Itachi stood for on his own...really amazed me. This is cool.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Finally, we get more info on Juugo. It's underwhelming that Kabuto made this big deal about being able to do the Seenin Transformation and then Juugo says *he* used to be able to do it and the people he grew up with were familiar enough with it to give it a name. Kinda wonder why he can't do it anymore as well as where that was. Hopefully we'll learn his back-story this time around.

This was already pretty well explained in previous chapters. It was stated that the Sound 5's Cursed Seals allowed them to absorb Natural Energy while moving. It's Juugo's genetics that allowed this to happen, and I also theorized this is what caused their physical transformations when they entered their Cursed Seal (Stage 2) forms. Naruto & Kabuto's Sennin Mode is essentially just their enhanced forms after they've absorbed Natural Energy. Juugo's essentially just re-explaining it for Sasuke here, and ANY time he goes into his Cursed Seal form, he's essentially entering a type of Sennin Mode. I assume that he loses himself mentally and that's why he can't maintain it as a proper Sennin Mode.

As for where they're going... all the information Sasuke wants to know is only known by people who are dead. Given this is Orochimaru we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if he found/came up with a "reverse" version of Edo Tensai. I jumped to this conclusion because of all the myths/legends there are about people going to the Underworld/Afterlife to as dead people "What really happened?" And we know the Naruto would has at least two underworlds, the Pure World and inside the Shinigmi's stomach.

Time-travel could be another option, but it would be a lot more boring because we've already seen so many flashbacks.

Given that the second part of Sasuke's ambition is the revival of the Uchiha Clan, I highly doubt that it'll be time travelling, and this upcoming step will be key to him achieving this goal, as Naruto gets closer to becoming Hokage.

I find it very disturbing that reviving Orochimaru was as simple as pulling some flesh off of Kabuto, sticking it on Anko's neck, and then...just puttin' your back into it as you pull his slimy, old ass out of her.

What the fuck. So basically, Sasuke did a "reverse" of the Evil Containment Seal on Anko's Curse Seal and he just came back to life?

So Kabuto's....glob of flesh, served as the raw materials for constructing an entirely new body for Orochimaru's spirit/consciousness to inhabit and just tap dance back into reality again. I guess this also explains how the fuck Orochimaru fucking hopped out of Sasuke's neck during his fight with Itachi, due to him running out of chakra. I always was confused as fuck as to how that happened. Apparently...

Sage Mode chakra + Orochimaru's consciousness (compatible flesh/DNA of Orochimaru) = New Orochimaru.

Orochimaru's consciousness was trapped in Anko's seal the same way that it was within Sasuke, which explains how/why Kabuto was using her to boost his own power, and ensuring that she didn't die. I assume that he also injected poison into her to prevent Orochimaru from emerging on his own. With some of the transformative flesh from Kabuto (which is also saturated with Orochimaru's chakra), you've got a form that's been used to make new bodies for Kabuto all number of ways. I did like that they referenced the seal that Kakashi used to repress the Cursed Seal as a way to reverse the process and forcibly activate the seal to pull Orochimaru's consciousness into the flesh again.

"New" Orochimaru's only in his original form, although his ability to use Jutsu is... questionable still. He shouldn't have any Sage Mode chakra, as he only reabsorbed his own chakra from within Kabuto (the same stuff that we'd seen previously when Hinata looked at him). I'm rather doubtful that he'll pick up any new abilities from Kabuto's crazy hybrid DNA, but I suppose we'll have to see. (Related, it'll be interesting to see what happens when Anko & Kabuto regain consciousness. Kabuto looked so sad/peaceful for the first time ever).

I'd totally be Suigetsu. I would not be comfortable with Orochimaru coming back, especially when his first words were about how he wanted Sasuke's young body. I mean, all he needed was a priest outfit and it'd have been perfect.

It's pretty excellent that both Suigetsu & Sasuke have perfect motivation for being determined to bring back Orochimaru / keep him the fuck away. I love how their new 4-man cell is TOTALLY mistrusting, and very loosely affiliated alliance. I really do hope that we see Suigetsu get closer to being a master of the 7 swords over the next little bit.

As for Sasuke's desire to know the truth before he makes any judgments or decisions on his revenge, I really have to say his maturity about it all impressed me. Him finally no longer wishing to be a child and find out the truth about what Itachi stood for on his own...really amazed me. This is cool.

And it is so great to see Sasuke's character development. He's finally trying to see things from other people's viewpoints. At least his emotions don't have complete control of him anymore.

The maturation of his character arc has me WAY stoked. I never would've guessed that Itachi's presence would've managed to come across into such a fantastic way. For the first moment, Sasuke's finally free from Orochimaru & Tobi using his blind hatred to manipulate him to their own ends, and HE'S the one calling the shots. He wants to understand why Itachi felt the way he did, and why his clan felt the way they did. He's looking for his own answers, and I'm REALLY excited to see him reach a point where he finds an opposing spiritual path that's a true match for Naruto's own path (much like Pain & Naruto had diametrically opposed ideals both towards achieving their own ambitions).

X :neo:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
This was already pretty well explained in previous chapters. It was stated that the Sound 5's Cursed Seals allowed them to absorb Natural Energy while moving. It's Juugo's genetics that allowed this to happen, and I also theorized this is what caused their physical transformations when they entered their Cursed Seal (Stage 2) forms. Naruto & Kabuto's Sennin Mode is essentially just their enhanced forms after they've absorbed Natural Energy. Juugo's essentially just re-explaining it for Sasuke here, and ANY time he goes into his Cursed Seal form, he's essentially entering a type of Sennin Mode. I assume that he loses himself mentally and that's why he can't maintain it as a proper Sennin Mode.
I was more talking about what caused Juugo to go from staying sane while doing Senin Transformation to going insane while he does it. Something had to have happened because Juugo knows going insane while doing Senin Transformation is not the way it's supposed to work.
Given that the second part of Sasuke's ambition is the revival of the Uchiha Clan, I highly doubt that it'll be time travelling, and this upcoming step will be key to him achieving this goal, as Naruto gets closer to becoming Hokage.
Maybe I'm missing something. 'Cause I didn't see "I want to revive/restore the Uchiha Clan" anywhere in this chapter. All I saw was "I want to know what everything means and why everything happened". Unless "revive" is used as in "bringing the old clan back to life" instead of "founding the clan again myself".
The maturation of his character arc has me WAY stoked. I never would've guessed that Itachi's presence would've managed to come across into such a fantastic way. For the first moment, Sasuke's finally free from Orochimaru & Tobi using his blind hatred to manipulate him to their own ends, and HE'S the one calling the shots. He wants to understand why Itachi felt the way he did, and why his clan felt the way they did. He's looking for his own answers, and I'm REALLY excited to see him reach a point where he finds an opposing spiritual path that's a true match for Naruto's own path (much like Pain & Naruto had diametrically opposed ideals both towards achieving their own ambitions).
This is the first time in the manga where I could be okay with Sasuke being against Konoha. Would I like it, no, but I would be satisfied with his choice as long as he understood what that choice would mean.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I was more talking about what caused Juugo to go from staying sane while doing Senin Transformation to going insane while he does it. Something had to have happened because Juugo knows going insane while doing Senin Transformation is not the way it's supposed to work.

I assume that Juugo's mental instability is something that's more specific to some trauma with him as a character that made him go nuts and lose his marbles. It may have even had to do with his experiences as a subject of Orochimaru's experimentation.

Maybe I'm missing something. 'Cause I didn't see "I want to revive/restore the Uchiha Clan" anywhere in this chapter. All I saw was "I want to know what everything means and why everything happened". Unless "revive" is used as in "bringing the old clan back to life" instead of "founding the clan again myself".

I was referring to WAY back at the beginning of Team 7. Naruto & Sasuke each have two goals that they tell to Kakashi. Naruto's are to be acknowledged by the villiage and to become Hokage, and Sasuke's are to kill his brother and to restore his clan. Within his current quest to understand his brother's motivations, and to grasp the real meaning of a clan and a village, I'm assuming that he's going to reach a point where he finds a new way of achieving this hereto unfulfilled dream, and does so in a way which puts him at odds with Nartuo's goals/methodology.

This is the first time in the manga where I could be okay with Sasuke being against Konoha. Would I like it, no, but I would be satisfied with his choice as long as he understood what that choice would mean.

I've always understood Sasuke's motivation, but it runs through the same parallels as Naruto, but in a very different order. The whole time with him being manipulated by Itachi/Orochimaru/Tobi is a really close parallel to the VERY first thing we see with Naruto being controlled by Mizuki. His hatred and mistrust is being manipulated by someone with their own goals, and he's just a pawn in their larger game. Edo-Itachi talking to him as he died was Sasuke's Iruka-sensei moment. He's just lost, lashing out, and constantly being blindly manipulated, but finally someone he connects with speaks to him in a way he actually believes. Now that he knows his feelings he's still resolute in his ambitions, but he ALSO knows that there are things that he needs to understand more fully in order to carry out what he's attempting to accomplish and have it mean anything.

This is the first time IN THE SERIES that Sasuke's surfaced from underneath the ocean of his own hatred for long enough to actually take a look at himself (aside from some brief moments with Team 7). He's just been completely submerged and pushed along the currents of other people's goals, and ONLY seeking the power to overcome the next obstacle in his way. NOW he's fully in control of his own actions AND his emotions. If HE'S calling the shots with Orochimaru around, I'd be VERY surprised if anyone else manages to manipulate him anymore without his knowing from here on out.

Konoha's the source of some of the most polarizing and dangerous people in the WORLD, and it's interesting to see Sasuke as someone who's an enemy of the general public, while also being opposed to the corruption of the village because of the atrocities that they've allowed and even ordered (especially the elders). He's no longer bad for the sake of being filled with hurt, hatred and anger - he's actually being rational about his emotions for the first time since he was a Chunin and sacrificed that quality for raw power from anyone offering. He's interested in seeing through his brother's eyes physically and metaphorically - for their power AND for their wisdom.

That is why this chapter is easily my favorite development for Saskue. Bar none.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Jeez, not the Tobi-Obito stuff again T_T

That's just too damn predictable.

But yes. This was a damn good chapter. I want to see Naruto beat the shit out of that faker. I love how no one's afraid of this fucker anymore. Tobi is nothing more than a whackjob.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I remember reading somewhere (was it here?) that some things just didn't add up, in terms of age and Tobi's past actions.

I remember using that to counter my brother's theories that Tobi was Obito. He never believed it could be Madara, and he says Tobi's and Kakashi's Mangekyou Sharingan are similar enough to be suspicious... Whatever, I don't want Tobi to be Obito.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Don't forget, Tobi also mentioned that Guy never remembers anyone's face, so I'm still VERY wary of the Tobi-Obito connection.

I LOVED seeing Kurama and Naruto swap consciousnesses, especially because Naruto's face looks like it did when he first went crazy against Haku. The fact that they're close enough for this type of interaction just makes me smile.

It's interesting that Gedo Mazo is experiencing such a violent reaction, but it'll be interesting to see if the transformation is slow or just an explosive change like when Naruto used to go crazy. I'm curious why Tobi was putting off creating Jubi and casting his Genjustu if that's REALLY all he needed. There's clearly some risk associated with leaving some of the Jubi's chakra out, but I'm just not sure what that is yet.

Either way, I can't WAIT for Naruto to start kicking Tobi's ass.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Going by the cover and color pages alone, I don't know who is scarier, a happy Sasuke, a goofy Neji or a rowdy Hinata.

But awmahgawd can't wait for this movie. I think the last Naruto movie I've watched was the first one. XD

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
RoadToNaruto.jpg

• Goofy Neji
• Clumsy Tenten
• (Forgiving?) Shino
• Kiba with a violent Akamaru
• Rowdy Hinata
• (Naruto)
• Shy Sakura
• Happy Sasuke
• Slacker Shikamaru
• Thin/Tough Chouji
• Shy Ino
• (Same?) Rock Lee

Does anyone else love the fact that Rock Lee looks almost exactly the same? XD I'm sure Shino's different, but I'm just not sure how. Maybe he doesn't hold grudges.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
He's holding a bugspray. Kiba and Shino both hate their animals now. And Sakura is shy cause Sasuke's hitting on her, as far as I know it's the real Sakura, the two of them get stuck in the genjutsu.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I really liked how the one-shot showed what "normal life" is like for Naruto and Co, that is, no Akatsuki, no Orochimaru, no missions, just "let's hang out." I love how they all use jutsu to make normal life easier. My favorite part has to be Naruto playing poker with his clones and wondering if he really won at the end. And at the end; Akatsuki's going to be in it!

Tobi's identity. It can't be Orbito. Whoever he is, he knows what Kakashi is like after Orbito dies. He also knows that Guy has problems remembering people's faces which only comes up when Guy meets Shark-face. And then there's Tobi's whole relationship to Zetsu which hasn't been explored at all.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It took me a bit to understand what the hell was going on to, but after reading it a few times... I understood it, and its implications really hit home.

As we know, originally Tobi had two sharingan eyes. The first one is his right eye which is used to absorb things in via his space-time jutsu, and phase in and out of reality. Then there's his left sharingan, which he used for Izanagi. Tobi lost that eye, and replaced it with a Rinnegan.

In this chapter, Kakashi was able to discover a huge weakness in Tobi's ability. Which only he is able to exploit. Mainly, that the dimension where Tobi hides his real body when he phases out, is the same dimension that "Kamui" sends targets when he banishes them. So in order for his team to strike Tobi, all Kakashi has to do, is use Kamui to have the attack go to the other dimension and hit Tobi's real body that's hiding in the other dimension.

Kakashi's Mangekyo Sharingan's "Kamui" ability, uses the same dimension as Tobi's sharingan technique. They both can send targets to said dimension. Their techniques are similar, but Tobi's is more refined and perfected for general use. However, it hasn't shown the capacity to reach the Mangekyo stage like Kakashi's and "project" its ability to send targets away from the user.

It's extremely likely, that Tobi's sharingan has the same owner as Kakashi's. Either Tobi is Obito, or Tobi stole Obito's eye and is using it for his purposes.

I believe it's the latter because Tobi seemed genuinely surprised and confused by this weakness Kakashi discovered. If Tobi were Obito, and he knew he gave his eye to Kakashi, would he not know that both of their techniques would be similar and that Kakashi would be capable of figuring this weakness out?

Tobi seemed to totally be taken by surprise that his jutsu held such a weakness. Tobi is a sharingan thief. A faker hiding behind the Uchiha name and its abilities to further his plans.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
My cat woke up at ~4 AM, because he needed food, and while I was up for a bit, I decided to check my phone, and Naruto happened to have JUST been posted when I did. I've been struggling with just what the hell this chapter could mean, thought about it for a long time, and finally fell back asleep, and then kept thinking about it all morning. Now that I'm at work, I've finally got some time to just sit and vent out my thoughts.

This chapter is HEAVY. At the surface, they discovered the mechanic behind Tobi's intangibility, but there's something much, MUCH bigger at play here.

Back when Kakashi, Sasuke, Naruto, & Sakura were all together after Sasuke killed Danzou, Kakashi was about to stop Tobi using Kamui. Tobi told Kakashi not to bother attempting to use Kamui on him, because it wouldn't do anything. That suggests that he KNOWS about the connection, but didn't know about the weakness. Now it looks like we know why he told Kakashi not to bother. Tobi's absorbtion ability and how he makes himself intangible are actually two aspects of a single jutsu.

Tobi's been shown to be able to cancel Kakashi's Kamui when he attempted to use it to destroy Gedo Mazo. Now, it seems like this ability is because bothe Kakashi's Kamui, and Tobi's Absorption technique utilize the same extra dimension. This explains why Kakashi's Kunai, and Naruto's Rasengan were able to hit Tobi just as he exits this dimension back into physical form. But that's just the tip of the potential iceberg here. Kishimoto's LONG been stating that he's been meaning to give Kakashi a bigger role in the manga, and brought it up again recently in an interview. This chapter makes me think that this is where he's going to start to deliver on that promise, and here's why:

Each Uchiha user's unique Mangekyo has two sides. Itachi (and later Sasuke) have the ability to both create and extinguish Amaterasu using the same mechanic. Also, as the pursuit of Shisui's eyes will show - those abilities are (seeming) unique to the user's eyes. (Itachi transferred his abilities directly to Sasuke, but it's not clear how that was done - plus, they're siblings, and now he actually HAS Itachi's eyes). That gives me the VERY strong inkling that Kakashi & Tobi both have one of Obito's eyes.

Now, whether this means that Tobi IS Obito isn't really clear. He's still got the whole "rebuilt body from Senju biomatter" thing going on, and there's a TON of circumstantial evidence that seems to point to that relationship. This chapter also has Tobi use an Uchiha clan-specific Fire Element barrier jutsu to protect Gedo Mazo, which gives us a good indication that he may not have just implanted himself with a Sharingan (as I've suspected before), and it's the first time that I can recall that he's used a non-summoning or non-ocular-based Jutsu.

Here's where things get intense though.

The STORY dynamic that's been set up in the last few chapters pretty much demands that Tobi be Obito, and here's why:

Naruto & Bee are both gonna have their hands full as soon as Gedo Mazo's transformation completes, which is going to become more important for them to focus on, because they're literally the only two people who are powerful enough, or who have the resources to take on something like Jubi and even have a chance of stalling it. In addition to this, it also opens up another REALLY HUGE potential story point for Kakashi.

Kakashi's late all the time, because he spends his time at the war memorial, remembering Obito & Rin. Obito completely changed Kakashi emotionally and made his comrades the number one priority in his life. He also gave Kakashi his Sharingan that allowed him to become such a legendary shinobi (who was almost made Hokage). He's never gotten over how Obito changed him, and what that bond meant. In the Pain Arc, he had a near-death experience, and made peace with his dad, but Obito is something that's unresolved for him.

Tobi's war is attempting to achieve things by living in an illusion. He originally attempted to appear to the Kage without creating conflict. After that, he's fought using an army of clones, and has passed up NUMEROUS attempts to kill people, which is making me more and more convinced that it has to be Obito.

Now - what if Kakashi had to face Obito? Could he kill someone he's literally been in mourning for every single day since the series started? Kakashi would be placed into Naruto's shoes: if his best friend - an Uchiha - was literally the enemy of the rest of the world, could he kill him, would he try to save him?

Building this connection also gives Naruto a way to look at his own upcoming situation, since his confrontation with Sasuke is building into something VERY new that's not connected with the war. The war is now VERY much the resolution of the strife of the previous generation, and Kakashi being suddely thrust into the front of it seems very appropriate. This specific conflict would give Kakashi a new way to look at the interaction between Sasuke & Naruto, because he will have experienced it himself.

Like the legendary fence-sitter Onoki, I'm finally picking sides: Tobi NEEDS to be Obito.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
http://www.saiyanisland.com/2012/07/kishimoto-tobis-identity-revealed-in-next-few-weeks/

Question: The legendary ninja is now immortal, does Madara Uchiha have any weakness?
Kishimoto-sensei: All people, even the strongest ones, have weaknesses, however, Madara does not. So we have to pose the question, where and how will the battle go from here!? Please stay excited and wait with eager anticipation to find out!!

Question: What is the connection between Tobi and Madara?
Kishimoto-sensei: Both ninja know one another. What kind of relationship do they have? Well, that will be gradually revealed as the story progresses!!

Question: Will Tobi’s identity be revealed in the future…!?
Kishimoto-sensei: Yes, it will. In fact, Tobi’s identity should be revealed within the next couple of weeks so until then please continue with your predictions!!

Question: How will the story of Naruto and Sasuke continue from this point on?
Kishimoto-sensei: They will meet again, this time during the war. Just wait until you see what is happening then!

Question: We will soon be entering into the climax of the Fourth Shinobi World War arc, please tell us some of the key points that will be coming soon!
Kishimoto-sensei: Everything from here on out is key and everything is just going to get more and more electrifying! All your favorite characters will shine brightly so please continue to enjoy Naruto as the great Shinobi World War reaches its climax!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's such utter bullshit that Madara went from uber-powerful, unkillable zombie slave, to now immortal, unkillable, all-powerful, and fully in control in just one damn chapter.

I mean, did we really need that right now? Especially with Orochimaru back from the dead?

Tobi, Uchiha Madara, Sasuke, and Orochimaru are all vying for the spot of badass antagonist now.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
List of thoughts I had on the chapter and the above commentary in no particular order.

--We've seen the inside of the Kuami dimension before; Tobi sent Sasuke there. Wonder what else is in there.

--if Tobi is Obito, there is a fundamental level of disconnect between their ideals and personalities, starting where Tobi says all that matters to him is his ideal for the world. There's also the part where he clams to be Madara and hates Konoha. Something big would have to happen for Obito to change so much.

--according to Tobi, he's the one who gave the Rinnigan to Nagato, but that happened by the Second Shinobi war and Obito wasn't alive then

--Orochimaru will end up joining the fight against Madara if just to prove he's better then Tsunade

--we're due for a couple chapter's worth of flash-backs (questions answered?)

Top Bottom