Naruto Anime/Manga (Manga Spoilers Not Tagged) [WSJ]

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
As you probably know, I love making lists and things - especially when it involves references to Naruto and its underlying mythology, so I figured I'd toss this together and post it up. :awesomonster:

• 1: Gaara & Shukaku
- Shukaku's origin is tied into a legend called Bunbuku Chagama, where a priest has a teapot that is actually a Tanuki in disguise (referenced in the teapot/priest origin mentioned in Naruto). I'm not sure where the specific name originates from though.

• 2: Nii & _______
- Aside from 2-Tails' origin being that of a Nekomata, I'm not sure of any specific legend that would connect to it.

• 3: Yagura & _______
- I'm almost certain that 3-Tails will be based on the Tale of Urashima Taro, since it deals with some type of set of three in the various versions of its telling (3 drawers, 3 days, 300 years). The 3-Tails may even be named Ryujin, since he lives in a Coral Palace, and this would match the techniques we've seen from it, like the Coral Punch.

• 4: Roshi & Son Goku
- This is an obvious reference to Journey to the West, as is proved by the Flower Fruit Mountain technique. This is also a clear nod to Dragon Ball's Master Roshi & Goku, since Toriyama's work was a big inspiration for Kishimoto.

• 5: Han & _______
- Aside from 5-Tails being a Dolphin/Horse, I'm not sure if there's any Japanese mythological basis for the creature, or if it's just a unique creation of Kishimoto's.

• 6: Utakata & _______
- No guesses for 6-Tails. Even with Katsuyu as a prominent slug, her name origin doesn't really give any good hints, and I couldn't find any folklore aside from the Slug/Snake/Frog relationship that ties into the Sannin's summons.

• 7: Fu & _______
- Nothing interesting for 7-Tails either, since I couldn't find any Japanese legends on Rhinocerous Beetles.

• 8: Killer Bee & _______
- What's interesting is that we don't know the 8-Tails' proper name, despite being familiar with him. I think that it may be the casual relationship that he has, as well as his name being a word pun - The number eight is pronounced "Hachi" & Killer Bee going by the nickname "Bee" it makes their Jinchuriki partnership title of "Hachi, Bee" the same as the pronounciation of 8-Tails, "Hachibi." This casual relationship would also explain why the issue of the Biju's names hasn't come up before now.

• 9: Naruto & Kurama
Kurama's name is a reference to the Kyubi character of the same name from Yu Yu Hakusho, since Kishimoto was inspired to create Kyubi while reading it.

X :neo:

Z

Zealkin

This chapter was a breath of fresh air for me, I admit I was a bit disenchanted with how things were panning out and more than a bit confused, but I like how Naruto's character was touched on in this chapter, he seemed a little unsteady about what he wanted to see himself as before, but now I think he's getting the bigger picture now. The Guy and Kakashi duo is always welcome, and I liked the flashbacks of the Ninetails who is actually a tsudnere deeper than just rage.

So good chapter, hoping for some good development on the next one too.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Naruto is a clever little bastard, I love him.

I seriously hope he shoves a rasengan up Tobi/Not!Madara's asshole.

And it's so amusing how slowly the Kyuubi is starting to like Naruto more and more.

This chapter would've been perfect had it not been saturated with copy-pasta flashbacks, lol.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
There're a few interesting things worth mentioning:

• Some physical artifacts remain on the Biju when they're in full form - clothes are absorbed, but some foreign objects like the chakra rods remain, and are positionally relocated due to the size change.

• Tobi can retract the Biju into himself, which I'm assuming means that he's sealed a portion of their chakra in some type of seal that he's activating with the Chakra rods (also where the Uzumaki-like spiked chakra chains seem to originate). What's interesting about this, is that means that he ALSO absorbs the Jinchuriki, since - with Son, the Chakra rod is an artifact that was planted into Edo Roshi's body.

• While I agree that the flashbacks were REALLY long (making for easier holiday work), I think that it also puts a lot of emphasis on the moments where Kyubi's chakra/will wasn't involved with overtaking Naruto's Dark Side, but was still paying attention to him. To me it was significant that Kurama remembered them all in such detail, rather than a single mashup montage. It gives an interesting perspective into his side of the story throughout the series.

• I really just can't get enough of his chakra arms, and seeing how creatively they're used.

• So much love for Sage Mode being used and shown how it's different than his Kyubi Chakra Mode. I really love the dichotomy of his abilities coming and working in tandem, and the idea that he left a clone behind from the get-go is just stunning.

• Giving Naruto a gauntlet like this to prove to Kurama indirectly that his feelings are genuine, regardless of Son not forging an alliance with him is just spectacular. This development has been nothing but fantastic for the series, and reminds me of the first time we started seeing personalities and leaning about the giant Kuchiyose Summons.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Why does this chapter look so good yet so half assed with the copy pastes of old chapters??? I kinda like the present story though. Let's hope this doesn't go into another fucking hiatus.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Good story and great strategy coming from Naruto using Sage mode and the kyuubi chakra at the same time. Too many flashbacks though.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Kyuubi: "Don't thank me, it's weird!" XD Aww, you're such a tsundere, Kyuubi!

Loved the chapter. The flashbacks gave a good cinematic feeling than anything else. This is what I wanted to see since part 1: Naruto and Kyuu-- oh sorry, Kurama working together.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
This was probably one of the sweetest and most awesome chapters.

Kurama is an adorable tsundere demon fox. The connection Kurama and Naruto just managed to create was pretty well done. I love how they developed that and finally had it come to fruition. Awesome chapter.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
SO much love for this chapter! The cinematic delivery was worth it, and I'm willing to fully forgive the huge amount of flashbacks from last week, since reading through them both makes for a REALLY spectacular setup for the reveal this week. I still can't really believe that Kurama is free, but there is gonna be a battle on an absolutely IMMENSE scale next week with all the Biju.

It's also worth mentioning that seeing Son get reabsorbed by the outer path was pretty terrifying, and that even though Roshi was defeated, Tobi's loss is still quite minimal. I'm still nervous about Bee and Hachibi's fate here, since Naruto and Kurama's motivation would be strong with everyone else captive.

It'll also be interesting to see how Kurama feels about Sasuke.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, given the latest events in chapter 570, I've been thinking about how Kurama & Sasuke would interact, since Kurama has become an important unique entity recently. I've come up with a number of interesting conclusions that I figured I'd share around, and see what you all think.

The main development that's taking place during this arc is one of identities. It's a central theme to Naruto, present from the very beginning of the series, and touched on in a large number of different scenarios has been brought back extremely strongly during the latest arc.

Naruto's getting closer and closer to being someone who the village unquestionably adores and of whom they have exceptional expectations as a person, he's finally reaching a point where who he actually is, is slowly being eclipsed by his legendary saviour-type reputation. Where he's headed towards is exactly where Sasuke was at the beginning of the series as the last of the legendary Uchiha clan.

Simultaneously, Sasuke has almost become a complete anathema. I have a feeling that his next entrance will solidy him as headed down a path where he is going to reach a point where he is more widely seen as an inhuman monstrosity than a person. This (as was recently flashed back to) is where Naruto was at in the beginning of the series, being seen as just The Demon Fox.

What's interesting is that Naruto & Sasuke's relationship is currently being directly parallelled by Kurama & Tobi (another pair of the Kyubi & Uchiha). The dichotomy is exceptionally intersting, because Tobi is intentionally giving away his name as a way to become an icon - something more than human, because his ambitions to become the second Sage of Six Paths essentially demand it. As I've stated before, he's also the embodyment of the Shinobi path of becoming a tool to an ideal (like Haku), but this connection is now shown to run even deeper than that.

On the other end of the spectrum, Kurama 'receives' his name in the same way that Naruto did. He's shown through an example of conflict beyond his own doubts - with Naruto freeing Son (much like with Iruka saving him from Mizuki). Kurama now knows beyond any doubt that there's someone who will go to lengths that he previously believed impossible to stand up for him, believe in him, and see him as more than just a monster.

In addition to this, Tobi and Kurama - like Naruto and Sasuke - exist as each other's ultimate goals. Tobi needs Kyubi to be a complete Jinchuriki of the Jubi, and Kurama needs to overcome Tobi to free the other Biju. There is a shift that needs to take place in order to align Naruto & Kurama's goals, and fortunately, this is one that has already been foreshadowed: Sasuke will evolve his eternal Mangekyo in order to obtain the Rinnegan, at which point, he will be able to sync with Gedo Mazo - the statue imprisoning the other Biju. Tobi can be defeated, to bring about a resolution to the figurehead of the War, but in doing so Tobi has already planned to set this piece into action - Sasuke will inherit the nameless evil from Tobi that will tie itself to the Uchiha name and erase him as a person.

This brings about the final pieces of the puzzle. Naruto & Sasuke will finally have reached the complete point in each other's shoes. Both of their ultimate goals lie in the other person, and they will be irrevocably destined for conflict. Their goals/dreams are the ones that they originally discussed with Kakashi, and are key to their conflict:

Naruto wishes to become Hokage. This title could make him understand how a title can overshadow a person, like Sasuke's clan did to him. I would assume that this title will be his when he is able to overcome Sasuke, making it imperative that he achieve it.

Sasuke wishes to rebuild his clan. How he plans to accomplish this remains to be seen, though the power of creation held by the Sage currently seems like the most plausible answer, especially since it involves the required aquisition of the Kyubi.

Naruto is in an intersting place now, because he can't sacrifice Kyubi to save his friend, because he and Kurama have a bond of friendship and acknowledgement as Konoha teammates. Striking a bargain with Sasuke won't be easy, even if he has the piece to play in order to accomplish it in a way he could have previously. He can't kill Sasuke either, because he's determined to save him.

Sasuke likely won't be in a position to kill Naruto, since doing so would mean that Kurama would disappear until he re-emerged again some years later. I'm assuming that there is a yet unrevealed piece of the story with Madara, that his longevity may be somehow reduced, or otherwise impeded once he unlocks his Rinnegan, or also due to his physically draining relationship with Gedo Mazo (as we've seen utilizing the power severly drained Nagato's health, and Sasuke's not one to use power sparingly).

What should also be noted is that Sasuke can appear inside the sealed world of a Jinchuriki, making confrontation between the Nine-Tailed Kurama, and the Nine-Eyed Gedo Mazo almost assured. This will take place at the same times as Naruto & Sasuke meet on a personal battlegroud - both literally and figuratively.

This sets the stage for the Sasuke to be the embodyment of the of the Sage of Six Paths' Older Son - inheriting his Eyes and determined that Power is the path to Victory, while Naruto is the embodyment of the Sage of the Six Paths' Younger Son - inheriting his Will and determined that Love is the path to victory. Then they'll be perfectly set to engage in a final conflict to complete all of the introduced themes in Naruto.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I nominate Kurama to be the most ultimate tsundere ever. XD I really can't wait to see when Naruto and Kyuubi team up. (Just think of all the destruction those two are gonna wreak, jesus christ. XD)

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
*Claps hands*

That, X-Soldier, was amazing. Great justice, sir. In-depth analysis where everything makes sense. Fantastic, simply fantastic.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
The circle is now complete, in the first saga they were viltrolic best buds, a host and a parasite. But now they are what I dreamed of: real team mates. Go forth, Kurama and Naruto, and kick their asses! D< Bring goku and the others back!

Mirai Zack Fair

Rookie Adventurer
I like the development in these past few chapters, in addition to the revived Jinchuuriki using their own abilities rather than using the same abilities as Nagato. However, one thing that bothers me is that we're unable to see their real personalities. While Deidara claimed that captured Jinchuuriki were resentful towards humankind, that was only because the people in their villages had shunned them first. My point is that I was hoping that Kishimoto would should us that the rivived Jinchuuriki were genuine people, and not the hateful people that Deidara claimed they were. For example, I wanted to see if Fuu was modest (despite her revealing atire) or a tomboy (like Zelda from the Ocaraina of Time). That being said, I was hoping to see Roshi's true personality, since we did not get that chance before, although it looks like that chance has slipped away, once again. We saw that 2nd Mizukage had a pretty unique characteristics, and it's a shame that we can't see the same thing for the rivived Jinchuuriki.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Thanks, guys!! :D

@ Mirai Zack Fair: I'm still slightly hopeful that we'll get a little bit of insight about Nii Yugito, since Bee was at least acquainted with her in some capacity, since they were both from the same Village. As for Roshi, Han, & Fuu it's tough to tell if we'll learn anything about them ever given the current goings on. I think that they may end up being casualties of battle - especially since they don't seem to have the revived Edo Tensei immortality once they're disconnected from the Chakra Rods. Utakata got development in the anime (which I've yet to see), so I highly doubt we'll be seeing anything of him.

I'm almost positive that Yagura and the Sanbi will get some focus though. One is my hypothesis that some of the evidence points to Sanbi being named Ryujin, which makes me think it'll get some development. There's also the fact that Tobi mentioned during the Kage Summit, that Yagura was supposed to have been the only other Jinchuriki that was able to sync with their Biju even better than Bee & Hachibi. Plus, you've also got the manipulative connection when he was Mizukage that connects him to Madara that needs to be explored.

Mirai Zack Fair

Rookie Adventurer
Thanks, guys!! :D

@ Mirai Zack Fair: I'm still slightly hopeful that we'll get a little bit of insight about Nii Yugito, since Bee was at least acquainted with her in some capacity, since they were both from the same Village.

Well, according to the 3rd Naruto Databook, Nii Yugito became the Niibi Jinchuuriki when she was just two years old. Later on, she was put through a training reigime (that the databook described as "detestible"), but she managed to complete her training through hard work. It made note of her personality that she was firm, prideful, and thought of her teammates first, and was a hard worker. (when you think about it, she's just like Naruto in that sense; I personally believe that she could have been like an older sister to Naruto, had she survived). You can find the Databook translations on the Naruto Forums website. I would like to post the link, but the last few times that I tried posting links on this forum, the posts contain the links never show up.

Anyway, back on topic. The 2nd Naruto Artbook revealed that Yugito was a highly skilled kunochi whom even Killer Bee looked up to, despite being older that she was and the fact that he has better control over the Hachibi, than she does over the Niibi. Recalling the fact that she is a hard worker, I suspect that sometime in the past, Nii Yugito inspired Killer Bee to get off his ass, and contribute more to the Hidden Cloud Village, than just rapping and training to have a better bond with the Hachibi.

As for Roshi, Han, & Fuu it's tough to tell if we'll learn anything about them ever given the current goings on. I think that they may end up being casualties of battle - especially since they don't seem to have the revived Edo Tensei immortality once they're disconnected from the Chakra Rods. Utakata got development in the anime (which I've yet to see), so I highly doubt we'll be seeing anything of him.

I was afraid you'd say that.

Lately, it seems that all of my favourite characters in Naruto either end up getting killed or they are already dead before the story begins (i.e. Minato and Kushina). Even though it is highly possible, I still hope that Killer Bee won't die. His unique personality and wit, has made him my favourite character in the series, even more so than Naruto himself. While his rapping can be annoying sometimes, I still find them to be more tolerable than Naruto antis.

I'm almost positive that Yagura and the Sanbi will get some focus though. One is my hypothesis that some of the evidence points to Sanbi being named Ryujin, which makes me think it'll get some development. There's also the fact that Tobi mentioned during the Kage Summit, that Yagura was supposed to have been the only other Jinchuriki that was able to sync with their Biju even better than Bee & Hachibi. Plus, you've also got the manipulative connection when he was Mizukage that connects him to Madara that needs to be explored.

Did Tobi actually say that?

From what I recalled, that was actually Danzo who stated that fact, and he said that the four individuals who can/could control Bijuu are/were Senju Hashirama (Shodaime Hokage), Uchiha Madara, Yagura (Yondaime Mizukage), and Killer Bee.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Well, according to the 3rd Naruto Databook, Nii Yugito became the Niibi Jinchuuriki when she was just two years old. Later on, she was put through a training reigime (that the databook described as "detestible"), but she managed to complete her training through hard work. It made note of her personality that she was firm, prideful, and thought of her teammates first, and was a hard worker. (when you think about it, she's just like Naruto in that sense; I personally believe that she could have been like an older sister to Naruto, had she survived). You can find the Databook translations on the Naruto Forums website. I would like to post the link, but the last few times that I tried posting links on this forum, the posts contain the links never show up.

Once you're past 10 posts, it shouldn't be an issue. I think it'd be interesting to check them out, since I haven't before.

Anyway, back on topic. The 2nd Naruto Artbook revealed that Yugito was a highly skilled kunochi whom even Killer Bee looked up to, despite being older that she was and the fact that he has better control over the Hachibi, than she does over the Niibi. Recalling the fact that she is a hard worker, I suspect that sometime in the past, Nii Yugito inspired Killer Bee to get off his ass, and contribute more to the Hidden Cloud Village, than just rapping and training to have a better bond with the Hachibi.

Interesting. I'll have to check that out.

I was afraid you'd say that.

Lately, it seems that all of my favourite characters in Naruto either end up getting killed or they are already dead before the story begins (i.e. Minato and Kushina). Even though it is highly possible, I still hope that Killer Bee won't die. His unique personality and wit, has made him my favourite character in the series, even more so than Naruto himself. While his rapping can be annoying sometimes, I still find them to be more tolerable than Naruto antis.

I think that with the upcoming events, the war may be working towards narrowing its scope back down into smaller parties again sometime relatively soon. Kishimoto's expressed the fact that there's going to be focus on a couple of different characters this year, which I believe entailed a Kakashi & a Sasuke arc, and I can't see those taking a significant chunk of story without some things narrowing focus again.

Hopefully this doesn't mean the elimination of any new/liked characters, but I think that Naruto handles the death of characters fairly well, especially making the death memorable, and making an aspect of the character exceptionally memorable for it. Jiraiya, & Kisame are ones that particularly stand out for me, but Sandaime, Asuma, and Itachi were also powerful, but more in the after effects felt during their passing, rather than the moment it happened.

I'm assuming that we'll get a rather powerful scene for all those lost in battle after the war, and that might be what sparks the next section of Kakashi's arc, since he's lost everyone close to him, and it might help to add emphasis into the casualties of the war that we didn't see up close during the combat, due to where the manga's focus lies.

Did Tobi actually say that?

From what I recalled, that was actually Danzo who stated that fact, and he said that the four individuals who can/could control Bijuu are/were Senju Hashirama (Shodaime Hokage), Uchiha Madara, Yagura (Yondaime Mizukage), and Killer Bee.

You're correct. For some reason, I thought it was mentioned when Tobi approached the summit, but it was Danzou who brought it up. I can't find a good copy of the original text, but those 4 were mentioned as the ones who can control the Biju. Yagura's role being so closely tied into the overarching scheme of things, and the jaded history of the Village Hidden in the Mist, it's hard to believe that they wouldn't have focus come up there at some point - especially since Naruto's now in a position where he's working with a Biju, it's hard to imagine we wouldn't discover how another village would manage to accomplish the task, or if it was primarily through Tobi/Madara's manipulation.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Naruto made a Godzilla reference!
My life is complete.

(I'll make a proper post later tonight, but I'm digging Naruto's giant Kurama Chakra Cloak).

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Naruto made a Godzilla reference!
My life is complete.

LOL the funny thing is that I was thinking the exact same thing before Guy made the joke.

Naruto is now reaching extreme levels of power, even if for a limited amount of time. Which kinda lets one wonder if, after this battle against the other tailed beast, will he be pitted directly against Madara (the real dead/alive one), which seems to have the most godlike power up until now.

There are two wildcards yet, though. Tobi/Madara may yet have some ace up his sleeve and Sasuke's new abilities with Susano'o might also be on par, even if they seem to pale a bit against Naruto/Kurama chakra cloak and Madara's "double" Susano'o and his Sephiroth fanboyism. :monster:

Top Bottom