New Dissidia Arcade Game (NT)

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
For those who'd like a "slightly better experience" with the controls, here's my setup:

R1 - Dash
R2 - Evade/Block
L1/L2 - Targeting

This setup felt better in my hands overall, even with Circle as Jump. I might even try R1 to block later, as that feels like Duodecim.

Like I said though Japanese Arcade experiences are hit and miss, since Pachislot as a concept is so prevalent there. I don't believe the Lootbox content will have any impact on DLC, as most of it is tiny stuff like Avatars, Battle Music, etc. Internal game content.

I imagine the Console version of this game will go through a few changes like FFXV has before it becomes optimal, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Team Ninja handle their own games pretty well, despite all the DLC, so I'm not super concerned.

Last edited:

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
So, I go to try to log into my account to find out what's happening with my order, but my password isn't recognized. That's fine, I go to try to reset my password, but my email address isn't recognized...even though that's the same email address that Square-Enix emailed me at. o.O

So I look around for contact information, but of course, they make it as difficult as possible to contact them. Fortunately, my hubby is trained in how to get around the bullshit system and found a way to contact them. I attached my order confirmation and the screenshot that says "your email is not recognized". Hopefully, I won't get some drone response of "please log in" or something else equally dumb.

Eh, I guess I can always pull back the Visa charge, but then will their AR department go apeshit on my ass? A part of me just wants to bail on this whole process and just give up on Square-Enix, but $300 is a lot of money and I feel cheated. Welp, here's to hoping that they don't fuck me over.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
See, now, this... THIS is why I don't order games from Square directly, nor do I order games from anyone directly.

Strictly DIGITAL, baby! :nintendodirect:

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
The Warrior of Light bust (lol) cannot be bought "digitally". I had planned to showcase it in my glass cabinet, but, well, we'll see I guess.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
idk if they are trying to go for more of a standard fighting game model by not having abilities like the older games (are they trying to go for some kind of esports thing or what). but i'm not happy about it, that's not a good change.

NT is being marketed as a legit competitive experience. SE and fighting game fans are both making pushes to have it appear at events like Evo and SoCal. It's also the key reason development was handed to Team Ninja.

I, personally, love the game. My brother and I are big Overwatch players. One similarity between Overwatch and Dissidia NT is that characters are mostly static. I'm actually surprised there's any move customization at all in NT, there's none in Overwatch. Like you said this is purely for balance reasons. Accounting for over a hundred separate pieces of equipment and accessories that existed in the original games would be impossible.

However, I've never played a game with as much strategy as Overwatch and it's one of the reasons I'm stoked for NT. You'd think with static movesets that gameplay would become stale, but I've found the opposite. The strategy comes from knowing the strengths and weaknesses of both team compositions and organizing big plays. For example, one of my favorite characters in Overwatch received a seemingly minor buff. Her primary damage went from 60 to 70, a mere ten points, but this totally affected how I consider enemy engagements. It means I can take down 200 health enemies, which is common, in three shots instead of four. I may be able to hold my own instead of running. This can easily launch into a conversation about how she compares to other healers. It's crazy fun!

The use of strategy is flipped between the original Dissidia games and NT. In the originals there was more strategy taking place pre-fight in your character build. Do you focus on Assist or Ex Mode? Do you equip a variety of moves or focus on passive skills? Whereas in NT you organize team attacks and call out key targets. I think both are great. Admittedly, since no one uses a microphone, NT is at a disadvantage in casual play.

So yeah, I get why NT might not be for everyone, especially if you enjoy deep character customization or a story mode. However, there is a reason for all the changes and I think they're good relative to their goal of building a competitive brawler.

I was supposed to have the package weeks ago

The game launches January 30th so I'm not sure what you mean. We've been playing the beta.

The primary reason for that is: lootboxes. "Shop" and "Treasure" where shiny pseudo-satisfying noises happen when completely random things drop spells absolute trouble. Obviously none of us can accurately comment on this as yet since the game hasn't been released but if there's a way to buy "memoria" from the shop (and it's REALLY looking like there will be) this game is trash and lives a life of trash regardless of how enjoyable and balanced the game play potentially is. fuck lootboxes

Loot boxes are confirmed to be in-game unlocks in NT and there will be no real money involved. You can rest easy on that.

However, I disagree with your blind hate towards loot boxes. At risk of sounding like an Overwatch fanboy (I'm not really, I barely talk about it outside of my brother), I'd argue the game is one of the many current examples of loot boxes done right. If done right it eliminates season passes. If done right developers are now able to build meaningful content for a game and be supported with a constant stream on revenue. If done right it should only affect cosmetics and not give other players unfair advantages. If done right. I'm not saying loot boxes work for every game, but when they do it's a great thing. Overwatch has released lots of new characters and maps and has only charged me for the entrance fee. What I get is a living, breathing game that always has something new for my friends and I to return to.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Good news is that I heard back from the client support department and they did not just say "log in". They told me that they are still in the preparation stage, even though their email says "shipped". That's alright, at least they're acknowledging I didn't get it and offering me a tracking number when it actually does ship.

As for the emails not matching (my account email not matching the email their messaging) they've sent me to another department but I'm wiling to give them a try. Hopefully, they can fix this.

So, yes, I have hope! ^^

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Glad to hear that, Dawn. I had wanted to order that edition myself, but just couldn't (I was pretty interested in that WoL bust too, along with that artbook).

I'm guessing it hasn't actually shipped since the release date is still a week away, and that was the error? Though that doesn't explain the other issue with the e-mails.

Any which how -- good luck!

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Does anyone miss running up the walls, grinding on rails and leaping across platforms? I kept trying to do it in Rabanastre. I had an Exdeath opponent that got stuck at the top of the stage and couldn't reach him...

Lex

Administrator
Good news is that I heard back from the client support department and they did not just say "log in". They told me that they are still in the preparation stage, even though their email says "shipped". That's alright, at least they're acknowledging I didn't get it and offering me a tracking number when it actually does ship.

As for the emails not matching (my account email not matching the email their messaging) they've sent me to another department but I'm wiling to give them a try. Hopefully, they can fix this.

So, yes, I have hope! ^^

The earliest you'd hope to get this is on the release date, so I wouldn't worry too much - though it is annoying you can't get into the account.

I've ordered two things from the SE store and I will avoid doing so wherever possible. Their e-system is notoriously shitty with the vague wording and incorrect updates. I didn't even get a tracking number for the UE of XV but it was delivered on release day.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I've bought only once from SE store and we all remember how that went for me (FFXV making it home around 2 weeks after release date). If I can help it, I won't buy from there.

Now, I know once FFVII Remake comes out, they'll have some cool stuff...

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
See, now, this... THIS is why I don't order games from Square directly, nor do I order games from anyone directly.

Strictly DIGITAL, baby! :nintendodirect:

I know that some do eventually get the things they had ordered or pre-ordered, most of the time, I don't trust the pre-ordering of not just games, but pretty much everything.

People pre-ordered the Vita version of Agito and look what happened? The game was cancelled and they had to get their money back and waited for nothing.

I'm still waiting for the Sailor Venus Break Time figurine that was supposed to be released in stores in November last year and it still hasn't even arrived because most of the copies were sold out.

That's why I find it's a lot better to simply buy it at stores because then you'll know you're actually getting the game or item. I'm not saying that Dissidia NT isn't coming out in english, because we all know that it is...

I simply don't trust the Pre-Orders.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Does anyone miss running up the walls, grinding on rails and leaping across platforms? I kept trying to do it in Rabanastre. I had an Exdeath opponent that got stuck at the top of the stage and couldn't reach him...

There's a few areas that still do that for a little bit.

FFXIV's stage has wall areas and a few other surfaces to climb a ways.

Cornelia has the trees you can climb (and smash).

I haven't seen all what's in Rabanastre yet... (god I hope there's a training mode).

Also not sure about other stages either, since the Beta kinda rushes things.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
It was clear the interviewer asked him about it directly. Pretty stale though I agree. The rest of his interview and the rest of the cast was great fun to watch. Ray Chase <3

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, they could have talked to JAT about anything else, but still that was a very good feature. The first I've seen of a lot of those not-voiced-before-Dissidia character actors. Figures that Squall's is the goofiest.

Steve Burton's musing on Onion Knight was silly :P It is too bad they didn't have any villains in, I've never heard an interview with Newbern about Sephiroth, though he lists him on his shortlist of roles on his twitter.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I want someone to get Grant George to play FF1, just to see what he thinks.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i suppose the problem i'm having is that i can't get excited about nt because i don't really care about competitive play or a big esports/fighting game tournament community, so i'm just disappointed that the game they finally decided to put on home consoles with its shiny graphics is focused solely on that stuff (except if you grind for ages to slowly unlock tokens to unlock the story)

maybe i will check if i have a download version of duodecim and put that on my vita instead and just cry myself to sleep over it

edit; basically, if it had duodecim's level of offline content AND the online stuff then i would be much more up for buying it (at some point in the financially solvent future) but as it is now it's like a call of duty or battlefield where the single player campaign is tacked on to focus on online and that's just not where my interests lie

edit 2; god i'm fucking bitter about this today

you fucked me over square, you fucked me

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm not big on competitive online play either, Duodecim was very good, it is a shame we can't just get a big-screen version of that. But I have been known to have fun on multiplayer at least when working together with friends on voice chat, so if people here play, I'm sure I could enjoy that.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
My advice for people who aren't all that interested in competitive play:

Stay within your circle of friends. Only invite local friends as a team or private room...

I'm not sure if you can put local friends in netplay rotation, but most fighting games allow you to have private rooms. Rooms give Gil and EXP too.

And beyond that, stick to Offline grinding and Gauntlet mode... I think by the time your stats are boosted and your allies are maxed out, you'll have a more fun time with this game.

And let's not forget there's more DLC in the works too... so they might pull an FFXV Royal Edition on us and add even more game modes to play.

I'm hoping there's a world map of sorts to wander around like Duodecim had. Dungeon Card mode was also fun.

Top Bottom