Status
Not open for further replies.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Barret_Marlene-FF7.jpg

Wow I just realized Barret has a pretty nice ass. Fap fap fap

OMG BARRET/AERITH EVIDENCE lolno. I like the idea of Sailor Barret/Girl!Cloud better

FANART NOW PLZ

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Re: Tifa being OOC in Duodecim:
Cloud to Tifa: “No. You’re much more cheerful and strong. If you’ve forgotten the way you were then, I’ll be there to remind you.”

Re: Family matters:

“I’ll be a nice child of this family!” Marlene said.

Hearing those words, Cloud and Tifa looked at each other. A child of this family?

“I’ll take care of Cloud and Tifa!”

Barret turned round and shouted, “Do your best!” His voice was a little shaky.

“Unite the family’s strength and keep at it!”

THIS family, ergo, Cloud and Tifa. Which she says again "I'll take care of Cloud and Tifa!"

I don't know, even Marlene is saying it, so why do we even argue? Of course, Barret leaving her was BS, but that matter aside, it doesn't change the fact that Marlene considers Cloud and Tifa as a family, and herself as a child of THIS family.

“A family.” (Tifa)

“Yeah.” (Marlene)

Marlene cheerfully answered in response to Tifa’s murmur.

“I’ll put Cloud in our family too.” (Marlene)

“I appreciate that.” (Cloud)

But really, when she already said how she'll take care of Cloud and Tifa previously, it's obvious that this is just a play "I'll allow you to be in my family" does more sound like teasing to Cloud (and even his reply, honestly) than a serious thing such as "Tifa is the mother, but I'll allow you to be like a brother or an uncle - something".

Edit: it does say her offer is innocent, but yeah, I still think it sounds more like teasing. And Marlene considers herself as a child of this family (Cloud+Tifa). End of story.

Tir McDohl

rune bearer
AKA
Yula
I only have one uncle that I ever see, and he feels like a second father to me. So I don't see the clear difference between someone who's "like an uncle" and a father figure.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Barret did watch Marlene's real father kill himself saying his hands were too stained with blood to hold his daughter. I can see how that would cause him to hesitate to really step up to the plate as her father with all the lives he's taken and want to atone and stuff. And he is leaving Marlene in very capable hands, its not like he just left her with someone he barely knows again.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
if Aerith had lived.. AERITH AND TIFA WOULD BE RAISING DENZEL TOGETHER.
that would be one lucky boy

I want to see someone write this AU ngl

/SLAMS DRINK ON THE TABLE
/GRABS PEN AND PAPER

I WANT TO MAKE THIS BRILLIANT IDEA A REALITY

Also I'd like to take this moment to also say the compilation has a serious lack of Barret & Tifa interaction when they had the ultimate fucking bromance. needs more tbh

Tir McDohl

rune bearer
AKA
Yula
Barret did watch Marlene's real father kill himself saying his hands were too stained with blood to hold his daughter. I can see how that would cause him to hesitate to really step up to the plate as her father with all the lives he's taken and want to atone and stuff. And he is leaving Marlene in very capable hands, its not like he just left her with someone he barely knows again.

And he did spend a lot of time discussing things with Marlene, too. She probably encouraged him. Ideally, of course it's best for Barret to be with Marlene. But if the guy isn't done with his stuff, then he should get it done first.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Ideally, of course it's best for Barret to be with Marlene. But if the guy isn't done with his stuff, then he should get it done first.
I think as much as he wants to be there for Marlene, Barret has serious guilt issues himself and considering he was a terrorist and killed other kids' parents, I can see how he's all like..."my hands are stained by bloood".

Still. Barret never gets a break. It's cause he's black, isn't it?

but I pretend that game doesn't exist
everyone does :awesome:

Splintered

unsavory tart
FANART NOW PLZ
YES

lol

I can't draw Barret :/

tlswat.png

/SLAMS DRINK ON THE TABLE
/GRABS PEN AND PAPER

I WANT TO MAKE THIS BRILLIANT IDEA A REALITY

Also I'd like to take this moment to also say the compilation has a serious lack of Barret & Tifa interaction when they had the ultimate fucking bromance. needs more tbh
There's so much potential greatness in this post I can't even comprehend.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I realize this post is going to get ignored but :awesome:

@ Barret in Dirge

He may have been there momentarily, but he obviously takes off again. In Case of Denzel, Denzel lists off his current family and Barret isn't listed. Tifa, Cloud and Marlene are though. You'd think if Barret was there, Denzel would have mentioned him as well.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'm still not sure why people are bitching that Barret isn't the father figure of the 7th Heaven family. Because he's not. He's not part of that family dynamic.

Cloud IS the father figure for that family dynamic, including Marlene.

Does this mean he's replaced Barret as a father? FUCK NO, just Tir's Uncle doesn't replace her father but is still a father figure.

I've had father figures other than my father, but they were not a part of my family unit. That's the distinction to be made here. THE FAMILY UNIT.

Barret is not. HAS NEVER BEEN. included as part of the 7th heaven Family of Four, as part of Cloud's family. That's why he cannot be a father figure IN THE FAMILY UNIT.

He is still a father and a father figure, but he's presently OUTSIDE THE UNIT.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
ryu i think you need to calm down

and realize nothing you experience will ever be as intense as a double rainbow all the way across the sky

ltdltdclerisclotiontopiclolololdissidia

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Is it time to hate on Ryu again?

Haha, Ryu you are such a ... dork... or something...

but he IS right :monster:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
No I'm pretty sure it's because he didn't want to have a discussion with me about what his cutie mark would be :awesome:

Vendel

Banned
He does live in 7th Heaven during CoT.

Well he lived in Midgar before that. But you wouldn't say "Tifa and Barret live in Midgar" would you?

He leaves Marlene there as he goes on his righteous quest. And in Dirge he's reunited with the group, so odds are pretty high he went back home to be with his kid.

Except no. As Q has pointed out we are given zero evidence he has returned to living at 7th Heaven.

Again one wonders why the 7th Heaven family unit is given so much focus in the compilation and ultimania, while Barret being there is given none?

What is SE trying to tell us?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
This, I don't see how you can just ignore all the focus that's been on Cloud, Tifa, Marlene and Denzel. I mean why all this focus if Barret is seen as an equal member of the family?

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Why indeed? I mean, yes, we don't have reason to believe Barret returned as of the Case of Denzel and if he had, not for a very long period of time. Certainly hasn't made an impression on Denzel that says cornerstone of this family.

But I would say that, until we are given reason to think otherwise, whatever family unit was formed in his absence, Barret IS going to come back to Marlene at some point. Or does Barret actually intend for Cloud and Tifa to all but adopt Marlene for their own happiness? I'd say I have a hard time buying that but is that what they are trying to sell us?

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Except no. As Q has pointed out we are given zero evidence he has returned to living at 7th Heaven.

Again one wonders why the 7th Heaven family unit is given so much focus in the compilation and ultimania, while Barret being there is given none?

well evidently barrets character has been derailed into some dude who just leaves his kid with his friends while he searches for oil

all of the time

basically giving up the fact he's her fucking dad for the lulz

:awesome:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
ryu i think you need to calm down

and realize nothing you experience will ever be as intense as a double rainbow all the way across the sky

ltdltdclerisclotiontopiclolololdissidia

I'm perfectly calm, Sunshine, but it seems ALLCAPS is the only way to get the point across sometimes.

I support Ryu's use of caps

because

Your support is appreciated. Me, I figure it's people conflating family with the nuclear family unit. The two are not the same.

hence the hatin :monster:

The woman speaks the truth.

well evidently barrets character has been derailed into some dude who just leaves his kid with his friends while he searches for oil

all of the time

basically giving up the fact he's her fucking dad for the lulz

Actually, let's assume that the 'I struck Oil!' thing isn't a throwaway line. Barret is almost certainly going to be working on setting up the infrastructure to utilize that stuff. Modern day Oil rigs, with most of the infrastructure in place, are already extremely long running Jobs. Barret might only get a few days off every few months. Like as with FF7, even after he settles into Oil drilling and management, he's almost certainly leaving Marlene with Cloud and Tifa for her safety as well as for her positive development.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Actually, let's assume that the 'I struck Oil!' thing isn't a throwaway line. Barret is almost certainly going to be working on setting up the infrastructure to utilize that stuff. Modern day Oil rigs, with most of the infrastructure in place, are already extremely long running Jobs. Barret might only get a few days off every few months. Like as with FF7, even after he settles into Oil drilling and management, he's almost certainly leaving Marlene with Cloud and Tifa for her safety as well as for her positive development.
does not change fact that his character has been derailed from 'loving father whose number one concern is always his daughter' to 'guy who gives up his daughter so cloud and tifa can have their sunshiney family because he's too busy worrying about his seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeens to think he'd be a good dad'.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
does not change fact that his character has been derailed from 'loving father whose number one concern is always his daughter' to 'guy who gives up his daughter so cloud and tifa can have their sunshiney family because he's too busy worrying about his seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeens to think he'd be a good dad'.

Except his concern is STILL always his daughter. He doesn't think he's good for his daughter, so he puts her with people he think will be better for it.
You don't like the sins angle, fine. But to suggest that he's not concerned for Marlene because of the sins angle is just absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom